• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Explains Wii U Hardware Power Confusion, Talks Launch Titles And Market Tests

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ubisoft had an interesting interview with GamesIndustry.biz where he explained the power level confusion surrounding the Wii U and talked about Ubisoft's new plan to amortize cost by making movies and TV shows.

First, Ubisoft on the Wii U confusion. Apparently there are a lot of non final parts that are preventing them from actually making a good assessment.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Q: Nintendo has been kind of vague on the specs of the machine at this stage, but how would you say that Ubisoft games are going to compare to games that are already out there? Is it going to be on a similar level in terms of visual quality and other aspects, as your Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 titles?

Yves Guillemot: Yes, I think at least. It should be even superior for some of the games. We don't know everything, so we have a few things Nintendo is telling us that will have such and such powers.
Second, Killer Freaks is a launch title and Ubisoft likes to use launch titles to test the market.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Q: So you're happy to be getting in there quickly and first with Nintendo on this, and be there day one when the console comes out with some Ubisoft games?

Yves Guillemot: Yes, and certainly we will announce one game that we want to launch day one that is a new type of game, which should be interesting. It's a first-person shooter game.

Q: I think it's interesting that you still see that first mover advantage as important in the console space.

Yves Guillemot: It is still very important, just because you can test a market and also see through the eyes of the first consumers. They are the people that actually have the word of mouth factor. The trendsetters.
And finally, the subject I think would make a more interesting discussion, Yves explains Ubisoft's plan to amortize game cost by making television shows and movies. /trojan horse

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Q: Ubisoft recently announced plans to move into movie and TV production. What was the thinking behind that decision? Why move into that different entertainment space?

Yves Guillemot: It's just because we think that our consumers are very interested by that, so we try to bring them what they expect. And what's really happening is the machines will be so powerful, are already so powerful, and will continue to evolve, so that we will be able to do linear content for a cost that is very low. So why not take that opportunity?

Q: You guys have 25 years of history in creating games, but not in creating movies and TV, is that a big risk?

Yves Guillemot: You know the TV business is an interesting business because everything is pre-sold before you start creating the project, so it's not that risky. And then you can, because its an industry where you can recruit people for a short time to come to you to help, you can quickly get the talent, the financing, it's a way to expand your brand without taking too much risk. It gives you the possibility to reuse the content for your games, so its really complementary to the games. And if you can have 20 per cent or 30 per cent of your content that is created for the TV series that you can reuse in your game it's a way to reduce the cost of the game or to do a better game.

Q: That's interesting because obviously we know AAA costs are incredibly high, what other kind of methods can you use to keep a handle on those development costs?

Yves Guillemot: The most important thing is to sell more, to have the chance to reach a larger audience. That's what we think is the best way to sell more. And to reach a larger audience if you have a TV series, and you have lots of other projects, or even if you go on a tablet or an iPhone they try your property there and they want to see more and get more into those universes. So you can take them to buy high end games.

Q: So do you think development costs will continue to rise?

Yves Guillemot: Yes. I think so, on the high definition formats, yes. So we just have to make sure we get more revenue and diversify.

Q: Going into movie and TV production, is that an admission that the AAA market isn't as profitable as it used to be?

Yves Guillemot: It has nothing to do with it. It's just we think that it's so easy to do, that it would be a shame not to try. The other thing which is important also is that when we do those movies or TV series, we take talent from that industry who are helping us to do a better job for the games. Really at the end of the day our goal is to make sure that we have better games with bigger worlds and universes and so on, and that we use all the many people around to achieve that goal.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-06-21-ubisofts-yves-guillemot

Corto

I think everyone is being so vague because they really don't know.

More powerful but they don't know how much because Nintendo hasn't finalized dev kits and are suggesting upgrades. That's what everything seems to be pointing to anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
So it sounds like even the developers don't know yet. I think the new devkits may shine a light on things, as leaks about their specs will be inevitable.
It shouldn't be too much longer now.

Corto

I think the ballpark we've established at this point is between slightly more powerful to something in the rv770 family.

Anything outside of those parameters seems unreasonable given all current info.

antonz

Corto said:
I think the ballpark we've established at this point is between slightly more powerful to something in the rv770 family.

Anything outside of those parameters seems unreasonable given all current info.
RV740 or RV770 is the likely window of Baseline GPU before Nintendos engineers get to it.

Either spectrum is not going to dramatically bury the competition but its a decent upgrade

Boney said:
Now Ubisoft is on with the tests?
Well hopefully it's not like a dangling carrot. "Wii owners passed the first test here is your reward, test #2,"-Capcom. I wonder which Capcom test Wii owners finally failed Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop?

Lord_Byron28 said:
Well hopefully it's not like a dangling carrot. "Wii owners passed the first test here is your reward, test #2,"-Capcom. I wonder which Capcom test Wii owners finally failed Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop?

Dead Rising 2 Chop Till You Drop?

So basically Ubisoft doesn't really know either. For a system coming out next year Nintendo has been extremely hazy about the hardware inside to say the least.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Magicpaint said:
So basically Ubisoft doesn't really know either. For a system coming out next year Nintendo has been extremely hazy about the hardware inside to say the least.

Odd to say the least. Perhaps they were waiting to gauge reaction from the public? I'm not sure.

Can't wait until we finally have something concrete to go on.

Still going with "notch above" what's currently out.

Magicpaint said:
MS didn't have the final dev kits for the Xbox 360 at E3 2005, and the 360 was released in November/December 2005. The Wii U is probably more than a year away, so it's not surprising that they haven't quite finalized the specs yet.

Plinko said:
Odd to say the least. Perhaps they were waiting to gauge reaction from the public? I'm not sure.
What reaction though? It's not like they actually showed much in terms of WiiU footage. It's just baffling the way they're positioning this thing.

Nirolak said:
is a new type of game

Nirolak said:
It's a first-person shooter game.

2igfa6q.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Magicpaint said:
What reaction though? It's not like they actually showed much in terms of WiiU footage. It's just baffling the way they're positioning this thing.

True. The only impressive stuff they showed was the bird demo and the Zelda/spider scene.

Killer Freaks needs an online mode that's like the multiplayer mode where you have a group of 4 that plays as the humans and a group of 4 that plays the RTS alien side.
That would be so awesome.

Plinko said:
True. The only impressive stuff they showed was the bird demo and the Zelda/spider scene.

Well, I'm thinking the showfloor bird demo and the zelda/spider were both done on later devkits compared to the video bird scene and the killer freaks stuff.

Plinko

a176 said:
One controller per system! Is all that matters.

No. It is not all that matters. It sucks but it is far from all that matters.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AceBandage said:
Killer Freaks needs an online mode that's like the multiplayer mode where you have a group of 4 that plays as the humans and a group of 4 that plays the RTS alien side.
That would be so awesome.
hmmmm... I'd imagine 16 players vs 4 aliens would be better balanced and more fair though.

Gahiggidy said:
hmmmm... I'd imagine 16 players vs 4 aliens would be better balanced and more fair though.

That could work too, if they expand the RTS functions (which I'm sure they will).
DO IT UBISOFT!

Truth101

Banned
mugurumakensei said:
Well, I'm thinking the showfloor bird demo and the zelda/spider were both done on later devkits compared to the video bird scene and the killer freaks stuff.

I doubt it, the reason the Bird Demo looked better is because whatever engine it runs on has been worked on since the video was recorded. Also most impressive thing about Zelda demo is the lighting and fluidity. I think Developers are just going to be getting second gen Dev kits now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Plinko said:
No. It is not all that matters. It sucks but it is far from all that matters.

It is disappointing in a way, but luckily I don't have many friends so it's likely that I'll only need one controller anyways.

also, Corto :(

Effect

Test titles!? Never again! No way I'm falling for that and I really hope no one else does. Either Killer Freaks is a worth while and must buy title in the end or it isn't.

Effect said:
Test titles!? Never again! No way I'm falling for that and I really hope no one else does. Either Killer Freaks is a worth while and must buy title in the end or it isn't.

It already seems like it should be better than Red Steel, but we'll see.
I agree that test titles are complete bull shit, but that's sadly the world we live in.

Vic said:
What type of powers are we talking about here?

How about the power of flight?
That do anything for you?
How about the power to kill a yak from a hundred miles away. WITH MIND BULLETS!
That's telekinesis, Kyle!
How about the power... to move you.

Momo

Banned
Q: That's interesting because obviously we know AAA costs are incredibly high, what other kind of methods can you use to keep a handle on those development costs?

Yves Guillemot: The most important thing is to sell more, to have the chance to reach a larger audience
The PS3 price will only drop when Sony lowers it.

BigFwoosh

Yves Guillemot: Yes, and certainly we will announce one game that we want to launch day one that is a new type of game, which should be interesting. It's a first-person shooter game.
Here's hoping it's Red Steel U. Come on Ubi, make the magic happen again!

Top Bottom