• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Explains Wii U Hardware Power Confusion, Talks Launch Titles And Market Tests

Truth101 said:
It's Killer Freaks From Outer Space.

517V2RAAC0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BurntPork

Banned
antonz said:
RV740 or RV770 is the likely window of Baseline GPU before Nintendos engineers get to it.

Either spectrum is not going to dramatically bury the competition but its a decent upgrade
Given the 50% rumor, RV730 can't be counted out and just may be the most likely candidate.

BurntPork said:
Given the 50% rumor, RV730 can't be counted out and just may be the most likely candidate.

But is 50% just the CPU or the GPU?
Is it from the underclocked dev kits or the full clocked dev kits?
Is it from early kits or the newest ones that will be out in a month?

beast786

AceBandage said:
Killer Freaks needs an online mode that's like the multiplayer mode where you have a group of 4 that plays as the humans and a group of 4 that plays the RTS alien side.
That would be so awesome.

Does that mean I have to enter 7 , Friend codes?

I Keed ;)

Jonm1010

Banned
Can someone explain to me the difference between the rv730, rv740 and the rv770?

What's the leap? What sort of graphics can we expect? Can it run crysis so to speak?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I believe that ubisoft will once again grace the stage at Nintendo's press conference next year to show off their wii u launch game.

Jonm1010 said:
Can someone explain to me the difference between the rv730, rv740 and the rv770?

What's the leap? What sort of graphics can we expect? Can it run crysis so to speak?

Higher number = higher clock speed, for the most part.
The Wii U can have a GPU based on just about anything in that line, but with different clock speeds and memory, depending on their need.
We can expect a 3-6x increase over the 360/PS3.

Gahiggidy said:
I believe that ubisoft will once again grace the stage at Nintendo's press conference next year to show off their wii u launch game.

I wouldn't mind seeing Yves playing Reggie in Killer Freaks.

antonz

Jonm1010 said:

They are just various baseline models though nintendo will super customise

If you take baseline cards you can expect them to use one of these to start 4670,4770,4830,4850,4860

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
But is 50% just the CPU or the GPU?
Is it from the underclocked dev kits or the full clocked dev kits?
Is it from early kits or the newest ones that will be out in a month?
It's more than likely from the underclocked kits, but we still don't even know how much it was underclocked. Also, they were more than likely comparing total system GFLOPs. Given that and the fact that the console is ridiculously tiny compared to current machines, I think that RV770 is totally out of the question. Either RV730 or (possibly underclocked) RV740 are the only possibilities, imo, unless later kits move to a newer GPU.

Jonm1010 said:

Go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...essing_units#Radeon_R700_.28HD_4xxx.29_series

Everyone should go here really if they want some basic clue-age.

Code:
                                  Code              Transistors Die Size                                        Memory   Clock rate                        Fillrate          Memory                                       TDP3 Features4 /   
   Model             Year         name     Fab (nm) (Million)   (mm2)    Bus interface                          (MiB)    Core (MHz)  Memory   Config core1 Pixel  Texture    Bandwidth     Bus type Bus width GFLOPS      (W)  Notes         
                                                                                                                                     (MHz)                 (GP/s) (GT/s)     (GB/s)                 (bit)                                    
   Radeon HD                                                             PCIe 2.0 x16, PCIe 2.0 x1[26], AGP     512      575         500                   2.3    4.6        6.4           DDR2               92          20                 
   4350[25]                                                              8x[27], PCI[28]                                                                                                                                                     
   Radeon HD         Sep 30, 2008 RV710    55       242         73                                              256                  600      80:8:4                                       DDR2     64                                       
   4550[29]                                                              PCIe 2.0 x16                           512      600         800                   2.4    4.8        12.8          GDDR3              96          25                 
                                                                                                                1024                                                                                                                         
   Radeon HD                      RV730                                                                         256      650         900                   5.2    20.8       28.8                   128                                      
   4650[30]                       PRO                                                                           512      600         500                   4.8    19.2[31]   16            GDDR4    64        384/416[31] 48                 
                     Sep 10, 2008          55       514         146      PCIe 2.0 x16, AGP 8x                   1024                 700      320:32:8                       22.4[31]      DDR2                                              
   Radeon HD                                                                                                    512                  1100                                    35.2          GDDR3                                             
   4670[29][30]                   RV730 XT                                                                      1024     750         900                   6      24[31]     28.8                   128       480[31]     59                 
                                                                                                                                     1000                                    32[31]                                                          
   Radeon HD         Jun 8, 2009  RV770    55       956         256      PCIe 2.0 x16                           512      700         9002     640:32:8     5.6    22.4       57.6          GDDR52   128       896         110                
   4730[32]                       CE                                                                                     750[33]                           6      24                                                                         
   Radeon HD         Apr 28, 2009 RV740    40       826[36]     137      PCIe 2.0 x16                           512      750[34][35] 8002     640:32:16    12     24         51.2[34][35]  GDDR52   128[37]   960[34][35] 80                 
   4770[34][35]                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
   Radeon HD         Oct 21,      RV770 LE 55       956[40]     256      PCIe 2.0 x16                           512      575         900      640:32:16    9.2    18.4[31]   57.6[31]      GDDR3    256       736[31]     95                 
   4830[38]          2008[39]                                                                                   1024                                                                       GDDR4                                             
                                  RV770                                                                         512                                                                        GDDR3                                             
   Radeon HD 4850    Jun 25, 2008 PRO      55       956[40]     256      PCIe 2.0 x16                           1024     625         993      800:40:16    10     25[31]     63.55[31]     GDDR4    256       1000[31]    110                
                                                                                                                2048                                                                                                                         
   Radeon HD 4860    Sep 9, 2009  RV790 GT 55       959         282      PCIe 2.0 x16                           512      700         750      640:32:16    11.2   22.4       96            GDDR52   256       896         130                
                                                                                                                1024                                                                                                                         
                     Jun 25,                                                                                    512                                                                                                                          
   Radeon HD 4870    2008[41]     RV770 XT 55       956[40]     256      PCIe 2.0 x16                           1024     750         9002     800:40:16    12     30[31]     115.2[31]     GDDR52   256       1200[31]    150                
                                                                                                                2048                                                                                                                         
   Radeon HD 4890    Apr 2,       RV790 XT 55[43]   959         282      PCIe 2.0 x16                           1024     850         9752[44] 800:40:16    13.6   34         124.8         GDDR52   256       1360        190                
                     2009[42]                                                                                   2048                                                                                                                         
   Radeon HD 4850 X2 Nov 7, 2008                                                                                512  *2  625  *2     993                   2 * 10 2 * 25     2 * 63.55     GDDR3              2000        250                
                                  R700     55       956  *2     256  *2  PCIe 2.0 x16 (PCIe bridge)             1024  *2                      800:40:16                                             2 * 256                    Dual GPU on   
   Radeon HD 4870 X2 Aug 12, 2008                                                                               1024  *2 750  *2     9002     *2           2 * 12 2 * 30[31] 2 * 115.2[31] GDDR52             2400[31]    286  single PCB    
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          [45]               

* 1 Unified Shaders (Vertex shader/Geometry shader/Pixel shader) : Texture mapping unit : Render Output unit                                                                                                                            
     * 2 The effective data transfer rate of GDDR5 is quadruple its nominal clock, instead of double as with other DDR memory.                                                                                                               
     * 3 The TDP is reference design TDP values from AMD. Different non-reference board designs from vendors may lead to slight variations in actual TDP.                                                                                    
     * 4 All models feature UVD2 & PowerPlay.

saunderez

AceBandage said:
You can expect that much of an increase but you're absolutely dreaming if you think its going to end up anywhere near that big a gap.

antonz

There is literally nothing to discount the RV770 that has been reported across numerous sources.

Stock 55nm would pose troubles but a 32nm version would be easily doable

Instro

BurntPork said:
It's more than likely from the underclocked kits, but we still don't even know how much it was underclocked. Also, they were more than likely comparing total system GFLOPs. Given that and the fact that the console is ridiculously tiny compared to current machines, I think that RV770 is totally out of the question. Either RV730 or (possibly underclocked) RV740 are the only possibilities, imo, unless later kits move to a newer GPU.
From what I've read current dev kits are only using off the shelf parts and not w.e custom parts Nintendo has in mind. They have also been underclocked due to heat issues apparently. Both counts would explain why 3rd party devs dont seem to have any specifics yet. Regardless I think the RV740 is the most likely candidate.

antonz

Instro said:
From what I've read current dev kits are only using off the shelf parts and not w.e custom parts Nintendo has in mind. They have also been underclocked due to heat issues apparently. Both counts would explain why 3rd party devs dont seem to have any specifics yet. Regardless I think the RV740 is the most likely candidate.
I do agree with you though. RV740 is the baseline I would expect and that is sufficient. Devkits are not overheating and needing to be clocked down to prevent crashes using something like a 4650

BurntPork

Banned
antonz said:
There is literally nothing to discount the RV770 that has been reported across numerous sources.

Stock 55nm would pose troubles but a 32nm version would be easily doable
Thing is, I doubt that Nintendo would go all the way down to 32nm. The Wii is still 90nm, and the Wii U's CPU is 45nm. :/ And even at 32nm, it would still be pretty hot and power-hungry for a system that's barely 50% larger than the Wii.

Edit: But I do agree that RV740 is very likely.

Medalion

Banned
Ubisoft seemed to be the main Wii U third party developer right now...and if THEY don't know everything, the others know even less

Nintendo, get to finalizing shit and stop keeping things so secret... mystery is only attractive for so long

Medalion said:
Ubisoft seemed to be the main Wii U third party developer right now...and if THEY don't know everything, the others know even less

Nintendo, get to finalizing shit and stop keeping things so secret... mystery is only attractive for so long

New kits going out soon. Though, they likely won't be the final kits.
They're suppose to have better hardware and show the online of the Wii U.

z0m3le

Banned
AceBandage said:
The Wii U can have a GPU based on just about anything in that line, but with different clock speeds and memory, depending on their need.

I like your optimism, but I think they will shoot for 2-4x simply because they don't need to do more, and their box isn't going to hold over 120W of power.(at least, not without some sort of vapor cooling chamber, and I really don't think that makes any sense... it's going to be more powerful, the 50% rumor is based on estimations from a random dev who was using early dev kits that were under-clocked off the shelf parts, so I feel confident that 100% is the bare minimum for Wii U, in this vague power gauge we are using.)

The hardware they are using in the early dev kits were off the shelf means a lot, I mean look at pc GPU's vs their Console counterparts, sure a modified "Xenos" which has some features of the R520chip in the 360 might be half the Gflops of the 1900xt R580 chip, but the onboard 10mb eDRAM helps it seem much more powerful than the off the shelf cards.

The reason I bring that up, is that the 360 has a modified GPU from an AMD line, and it's quite a bit different then the original card it was based on (something in the x800 line) but Nintendo has their own GPU team that will work with AMD much more closely, so modifying a R770 into a Wii U case won't be a simple down-clock and smaller chip process, that will only be part of it. What will go in the Wii U won't resemble my 4870 at all... It might out perform it in some operations, but I don't think it will be overall faster. I believe Wii U will be roughly 3x faster then PS360, but will have features that the others might be able to list on a chart but only allow the devs to pick and choose a few, while the Wii U can do all of those features at once.

I also am not worried about the RAM of the system in the least, with the dof we saw in those tech demos, it clearly has more ram than PS360, and even if it ends up only being 1GB system memory, that should allow it to have 720p versions of PS4/720 titles, without much difference in visual presentation. I think people expecting a big leap from sony and microsoft are off. Truth is they don't need to have a power hungry console to compete next generation, and if the PS4 is over 8x as powerful than the PS360, I would be extremely surprised, unless it came out in 2015, and even then I don't see it being quite as powerful as people seem to want.

antonz

The 45nm CPU is likely more IBM than Nintendo choice. The Power7 family is not made below 45nm at least right now.

So, enough power talk. We've had like 20 threads on it.

I'm more interested in whether AC for the Wii U is a new game or or what.
It apparently has its own team and all. I think Nintendo laid some serious coin on Ubisoft's desk to get some of this stuff.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:

I'm more interested in whether AC for the Wii U is a new game or or what.
It apparently has its own team and all. I think Nintendo laid some serious coin on Ubisoft's desk to get some of this stuff.
It's Ubisoft. It'll be AC3 (I assume that'll be next year's version), ported from 360. Might be higher res or higher framerate.

z0m3le

Banned
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to AC, I hope they let you use the screen to pick pocket/pick a lock, while you have to watch the guards from the tv screen, so there is that feel of immersion.

I'm also hoping they put a bit more power onto better cloth physics, I really like the AC series for that, but of all the things that have improved, I think that would make the biggest impact to how games look.

BurntPork said:
It's Ubisoft. It'll be AC3 (I assume that'll be next year's version), ported from 360. Might be higher res or higher framerate.

At one point, they said it was a new game in the AC universe, so who knows.

USC-fan

Banned
AceBandage said:

6x is a little low.

Should be at least 10x, IMO.

AceBandage said:

I was about just about to make a thread talking more about the CPU too. :p If I posted it here, I don't think it would be very on topic.

bgassassin said:
I was about just about to make a thread talking more about the CPU too. :p If I posted it here, I don't think it would be very on topic.

Unless it contains actual new info, I just don't know if it would be worth it.
I mean, holy crap. There's like 5 new Wii U topics every day, and none have really said anything that we didn't hear from the first leak.
But hey, it's a free board. You can post whatever you want.
:)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ubisoft explains nothing, contributes to more confusion.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
At one point, they said it was a new game in the AC universe, so who knows.
I have to admit, an exclusive AC would be nice. Could even be a system seller. I just don't see them doing that, though. The fact that Lost Legacy (the 3DS game iirc) is pretty much vaporware at this point doesn't give me confidence either.

USC-fan said:
6x is a little low.

Should be at least 10x, IMO.
100x or bust

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AceBandage said:
New kits going out soon. Though, they likely won't be the final kits.
They're suppose to have better hardware and show the online of the Wii U.
I don't suppose anyone here knows this, but do the current kits have the HDMI wireless working?

AceBandage said:
Unless it contains actual new info, I just don't know if it would be worth it.
I mean, holy crap. There's like 5 new Wii U topics every day, and none have really said anything that we didn't hear from the first leak.
But hey, it's a free board. You can post whatever you want.
:)

It was consolidating some of the previous CPU thread and adding more for us to try to get a better idea of what it might be. It could be used as a foundation for an acutal Wii U tech thread if the mods are interested.

Top Bottom