• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Tizoc

Hells yeah Team Geese.
Make this DLC SNK, don't be a bunch of dumbfucks and make it free; I WILL BUY IT DAY ONE.

alstein

katsubento said:
If they go the DLC route, they could milk it forever. Just think...this month it's Kyo from XX year, next month, it's Blue Mary, next month, it's MOTW Terry...

well one can dream.

I could live with that if we got some balance fixes along the way.

Tizoc

alstein said:
I could live with that if we got some balance fixes along the way.
Call me crazy if you want but instead of releasing KoF 14 for consoles, just put in DLC team characters. Add in DLC stages too if they want, along with balance updates.
Do that for consoles, then release it as KoF 14 for arcades.

Oh and Cyberfanatix.com has Billy scan~

Tizoc said:
Hells yeah Team Geese.
Make this DLC SNK, don't be a bunch of dumbfucks and make it free; I WILL BUY IT DAY ONE.

We all know SNK can't afford to give shit away. However, reasonably priced DLC I could fuck with. $3-$5 for a character, $2-$3 for a stage/alternate costume/new colors and .50 for some classic music is something I wouldn't mind because it's priced accordingly and SNK gets some cheese on the side so I can get a NGBC2. And speaking about DLC, I just realized that SNK has only had one item on sale ever as far as I can remember on XBLA and I think that was FFS. They really need a sale to drum up some hype for them and I could quit stalling on MSXX and Trouble Witches Neo.

And Billy in the OG attire is a nice touch. Now the list of demands. Needs Eiji. Needs Suit. Need Classic Theme to be London Marching from RBS/2. And the NeoMax better not be a counter super. I think that's fair to ask for.

Tizoc

ReXXXSoprano said:
We all know SNK can't afford to give shit away. However, reasonably priced DLC I could fuck with. $3-$5 for a character, $2-$3 for a stage/alternate costume/new colors and .50 for some classic music is something I wouldn't mind because it's priced accordingly and SNK gets some cheese on the side so I can get a NGBC2.
I personally would like them to release a team for 10 dollars, stages should packs, like 3-5 stages for 10 dollars.

And Billy in the OG attire is a nice touch. Now the list of demands. Needs Eiji. Needs Suit. Need Classic Theme to be London Marching from RBS/2. And the NeoMax better not be a counter super. I think that's fair to ask for.
They could do it like XI where you can cancel a super into a counter LDM/NEOMAX...

ReXXXSoprano said:
We all know SNK can't afford to give shit away. However, reasonably priced DLC I could fuck with.

Thing is, what if this is the extent they can afford to add value over the rom dump. . . I'm not too sure many ppl would be swayed by other features like a training mode or something, not for $60 anyway.

If down the line everyone agrees the netcode is good (or at least playable) then I can see ppl buying it. I'm sure we will get lots of comments on forums asking about the netcode before making a purchase heh.

alstein

CadetMahoney said:
Thing is, what if this is the extent they can afford to add value over the rom dump. . . I'm not too sure many ppl would be swayed by other features like a training mode or something, not for $60 anyway.

If down the line everyone agrees the netcode is good (or at least playable) then I can see ppl buying it. I'm sure we will get lots of comments on forums asking about the netcode before making a purchase heh.

The big values

-netplay if it's good
-new characters (Billy's great, Eiji would be a great compliment to him)

The problem with DLC chars is that it takes them 2-3 months to make a character, and it's not long-term profitable.

I do think XIII has a chance now though. AE has really dropped the ball, so unlike XII which came out in fierce competition, XIII is coming out in a vacuum. If it has good netcode and good enough gameplay, it will do decently.

Tizoc

alstein said:
The big values

-netplay if it's good
-new characters (Billy's great, Eiji would be a great compliment to him)

The problem with DLC chars is that it takes them 2-3 months to make a character, and it's not long-term profitable.

I do think XIII has a chance now though. AE has really dropped the ball, so unlike XII which came out in fierce competition, XIII is coming out in a vacuum. If it has good netcode and good enough gameplay, it will do decently.
SF3: 3S comes out around August/September BTW, hopefully with good publicity the game will attract attention.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im totally 100% against DLC characters in fighting games.
But im such a KOF whore that i will buy them all day one.

ADEL PLZ!

Im expecting a trailer to hit this week. I mean.. is the right thing to do.

Frankfurt

Banned
CadetMahoney said:

Isn't this game $50?

Anyway, I hope we get Eiji and Yama (or Geese) too. They'll have to redo the select screen, though. It's been what, a year? They could made 1 chara every 3 months, assuming the same staff is still there...

Hope Adel is added as a sub-boss or whatever, too. Botan would be nice, too.

Tizoc

While I have nothing against Adel, I'd rather have the REAL Bernstein-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkvWYtAkGP0

Also, no offense but Eiji's kinda...dull...UNLESS THEY MAKE HIM PLAY LIKE ZANTETSU!
JxHbp.gif

Souther

Banned
"I wish i could tear him apart!"

Nice to see Billy back. Although I hope this makes Yamazaki returning a given. I mean who are you gonna team him up with? Billy isn't big enough to have him leading a team. Just throw Oswald, Gato, Eiji, or Blue Mary with team leader being Yamazaki and call it a day.

Tizoc

Souther said:

Nice to see Billy back. Although I hope this makes Yamazaki returning a given. I mean who you can team him up with? Billy isn't big enough to have him own team. Just throw Oswald, Gato, Eiji, blue Mary with team leader being Yamazaki and call it a day.

You guys shouldn't overlook Geese.
You don't want him to paint his house with your bras do you? DO YOU?
A team of Geese+Grant+Whoever would be BAWS tho

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Souther said:
yeah he has a great theme.

I also love Geese's 96 theme

Geese ni Katakori
Dood i rock Geese Song on guitar.

Songs i used to play on guitar: Psycho Soldier,Still Green,Bloody (Kind of),KOF99 AOF theme and some others.

* Waits for trailer *

Souther

Banned
Fersis said:
Dood i rock Geese Song on guitar.

Songs i used to play on guitar: Psycho Soldier,Still Green,Bloody (Kind of),KOF99 AOF theme and some others.

* Waits for trailer *

I'd like to hear your cover.

And lastly one of the best themes in kof...World War III

alstein

Souther said:

Nice to see Billy back. Although I hope this makes Yamazaki returning a given. I mean who are you gonna team him up with? Billy isn't big enough to have him leading a team. Just throw Oswald, Gato, Eiji, or Blue Mary with team leader being Yamazaki and call it a day.

I thought Eiji was the most logical choice.

Ash/Billy/Eiji could be a good "Alliance to end Yagamimania" team.

That said, Eiji would be a lot of animation. Unsure what char would go with Billy that isn't a huge animation requirement, other then Yamazaki.

Souther

Banned
alstein said:
I thought Eiji was the most logical choice.

Ash/Billy/Eiji could be a good "Alliance to end Yagamimania" team.

That said, Eiji would be a lot of animation. Unsure what char would go with Billy that isn't a huge animation requirement, other then Yamazaki.

I'd like to see Eiji as well. I always liked him.

Speaking of animation. I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the reasons Yamazaki never showed up before. The guy has a ridiculous amount of animations.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Did they finally add all characters from KOF12's deleted files?

I remembered people found Mai, King, Billy, Yuri, Vice and Hwa from KOF12's files.

Fersis

IntelliHeath said:
Did they finally add all characters from KOF12's deleted files?

I remembered people found Mai, King, Billy, Yuri, Vice and Hwa from KOF12's files.
There was Iori98 too.

Oh man im mad hype why isnt Atlus releasing some trailer or something?

Fersis said:
There was Iori98 too.

I'm eagerly anticipating a trailer too, but part of me thinks we won't get one until much closer to launch.

Fersis

_dementia said:
I'm eagerly anticipating a trailer too, but part of me thinks we won't get one until much closer to launch.
Whats the deal with your avatar? =/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
There was Iori98 too.

Because they dislike Elisabeth! Go, Fersis! Beat up the Betty-haters, so they shall release their info earlier! ;)

Anywho, continual scan of the Famitsu page reveals Ash fighting in a NEW stage, with a stone floor, and a destroyed looking goddess statue in the BG. So hey, looks like we get a new Billy, and a new stage, so far!

And surely, it'd be great to hear your KoF covers, Fersis ^_^ I think it'd be a very profitable thing for a hype thread, to collect a bunch of fan-made materials, be they fanart, musical covers, cosplay, or live-action recreations of battles! The best can become parts of the OT, because all know, the great fans are a bit part of KoF.

Fersis said:
Whats the deal with your avatar? =/

I keep hoping it means "Radiant Silvergun actually has an XBLA release date!" only to realize it has nothing to do with that vital bit of news :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GuardianE said:
Elizabeth is just Franziska Von Karma with blue hair. :p

She really needs a Von Karma color, too. Just like Kula needs a CC of Code Geass color (Her C9 is pretty close, though)!

Fersis

GuardianE said:
Elizabeth is just Franziska Von Karma with blue hair. :p
Dunno who are you talking about.
Oh and KOFXII Elisabeth Design >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OG Elisabeth

_dementia said:
You're right, I should change it.
Im not hating dood!

SAB CA said:
Anywho, continual scan of the Famitsu page reveals Ash fighting in a NEW stage, with a stone floor, and a destroyed looking goddess statue in the BG. So hey, looks like we get a new Billy, and a new stage, so far!
Mindblown.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fersis said:
Dunno who are you talking about.
Oh and KOFXII Elisabeth Design >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OG Elisabeth

Google her up!

The short hair, regal look, riding crop/whip, haughty attitude. They're like sisters from different gaming universes.

RSLYG

Elisabeth is the most boring KOF character ever, okay design, (XI costume is slightly better) boring & unoriginal movelist/gameplay, even Bao is more fun to play with. :p:p
I'll never use her unless I play random :p

Fersis

RSLYG said:
Elisabeth is the most boring KOF character ever, okay design, (XI costume is slightly better) boring & unoriginal movelist/gameplay, even Bao is more fun to play with. :p:p
RSLYG
Banned
(Today, 12:30 PM)
Reply | Quote
Whos laughing now Frog boy?

Tizoc

RSLYG said:
I'm gonna have to agree on this somewhat. Her movelist is dull to me too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The "Boob Window" look never fit Betty's personality, it's like someone wanted to design a refined outfit, but couldn't figure out how to sexualize it... so they just cut out a window in order to show her breast.

I could see the "She does this as a way to reveal that she's not all boring!" or even a "She does this, as most noble outfitters don't make an outfit that could contain her ample bosom!" style excuses being used, but they'd all just be excuses for a "Service! Service!" design.

But beyond that, I really liked her moveset; She displayed power in a way that wasn't overly cute, or weak. She had all the abilities I like in my fighter characters (a way to deal with fireballs, a useful DM throw for mixups, ability to combo in varied ways, and in XI, one of the rare characters who could combo a normal into 2 follow-up command normals, before finishing with special /DMs), and she soon became the reason I'd play XI.

Other little details included the way each strength of her DP's had a purpose (one for going through fireballs, one for extended juggles), and the fact that her counter stance wasn't an auto-counter blow, but one that left the enemy open for your own creation. And her LDM was one of my fav's: great chip, huge hitbox, and easy to combo into from a multitude of situations.

A lot of this changed in XI... I liked her new design more, and the new Entcillies slash wave was interesting. It didn't have the range of the old version, but it seemed easier to use. I LOVED the fact they gave her a command throw (which with XI's qcb,F+button shortcut, was easy to land off of a dash into weak atk chains, much easier than any other KoF), and the fact her counter could eat fireballs at full screen, and bring her RIGHT back into her optimal striking range. Between her and Mature, I found her the better made member, but she was hell to play online with any kind of lag, and I found her normals to be horridly slow and low-priority otherwise.

So, jump to XIII, and she has a great, fleshed out movelist now, a return of a command normal (still wish she had 2 like in XI, but the one they gave her is very solid), the return of her DP, and of her "Uppercut DM". Instantly, I dreamed of landing C uppercut into A uppercut into DM once again! Little did I know her uppercut would not be TOO GOOD, lol, and the joy of setting up her old juggle would be somewhat tainted by her DM becoming "anywhere juggle", so it could hit even during resets, and her uppercuts no longer being unique, but both now leading to loops. It's so overwhelmingly good, that it makes her other moves almost useless.

Which is a shame, because, once again, she has just about every good tool that I like in a fighter, in XIII. Her normals were buffed, jump CD made better, cross-ups solidified, Entcillies became FANTASTIC at landing counter hits + leaving open for counter juggles, and she finally gained the ability to shoot off her light fireball DM with the EX variant. They also gave her free-cancellable command dashes, and an EX counter that counters all physical attacks, AND gives her frame advantage! She's one of the most over-supplied characters in the game now.

As previously mentioned, I think Ash's closest friend from XI got great makeovers in the move to XII and XIII. They all seemed to become the characters they were meant to be, rather than the testing versions created for 2003 and XI. They all go a good job of showing me the "old SNK" within "SNKP" designs.

Anywho, that's my Pro-Betty rant. I'd make an Anti-Bao one too, but her doesn't even deserve that, he should be happy I even mention his name! I get that he's an amalgamation of the rest of the Psycho soldiers all in one, but he's so annoying! It's like SNKP wanted to make the most annoyigng young male they possibly could, and decided not to stop at Jump CD-spam Chris! I hate getting trolled by him in 2K2UM... -ahem- Some would say it's fitting revenge for my enjoyment of playing Chin...

Oh, and Douche McBaggins The 3rd, I have to say, the way you felt for whoopin' on people with Mature in XII, is the same I felt with Clark, lol. Counter hit Air CD -> Dash - Air Throw was SO satisfying, and I had people raging, wondering why this character with the worse command throw range in the game + least moves (and most worthless Vulcan punch) was occassionally OCV'n their best teams... GOOD TIMES, lol.

Frankfurt said:
Took them 3 months per character, IIRC.

yeah i know , but with the new face team you can do they normal and evil version with the same char.
So you don't have to start from the beginning like it was 6 new chars.
All you have to do is the move set.

SNK please get smart and say fuck story , bring them back .

gundamkyoukai said:
I really don't care about Billy Kane , come on SNK give me the New Faces Team.
You can get 3 extra chars with out to much extra work .

Yes, let us bring them back even though they died in 97 and have no way for reviving themselves. Bring that shit back to a Dream match title. Don't fuck the story up even more with Mature and Vice Shenanigans. I"m glad to see em back, but come on Spectres that haunt Iori?

Hell say MURICA needs FIGHTAS and then Heavy D comes in and says OK! With Lucky going YAHHHHHH! And Brian going FOOTBALL! Good as plot as any.

Frankfurt

Banned
The CYS were sacrificial lambs, so yeah, it would make no sense for them to resurrect. Vice and Mature were guardians of Orochi, so, as game plotlines go, coming back as ghosts was fine for them.

If we HAD to bring back dead characters, I would rather have this kind of silly spinning than what Capcom does with SF. Obviously, I would rather never see anyone ressurect, despite Vice and Shermie being two of my top 3 faves.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DDTCombo Presents: Hwa Jai, The Former Muay Thai Champ! (HD)

A definite possibility for a main on one of my teams, if I can get him to work as nicely as I'd suspect. Still want him to get some new normals, however! Not because they're BAD... just to use his own unique personality.

-----

You guys speak as if Chris and Shermie aren't in BGs in XIII already...

There's never a good reason to totally keep a character of playstyle out of a fighter completly. Bring the gameplay back in a child, or through an avatar for the past character... anything.

The Orochi seal, and those who will be used to revive it, is still active in KoF. SNK knows this, and I'm sure they have multiple ways to act on it, if they please.

I wonder if they'll have a similiar 3 people created for the "Dragon Power" saga that everyones pondering? It was great to have an opposite team to the current heroes... so similiar, yet so different.

Tizoc

Frankfurt said:
The CYS were sacrificial lambs, so yeah, it would make no sense for them to resurrect. Vice and Mature were guardians of Orochi, so, as game plotlines go, coming back as ghosts was fine for them.

If we HAD to bring back dead characters, I would rather have this kind of silly spinning than what Capcom does with SF. Obviously, I would rather never see anyone ressurect, despite Vice and Shermie being two of my top 3 faves.
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust to clarify-
In SF4 Dictator is a clone, Gen did not die YET & Gouken wasn't actually dead dead; more like in a coma/suspended animation.

Why's Eiji so popular if you don't mind me asking, he never impressed me at all =P

I want Yashiro to have his 97 HCB+P back >=(

alstein

Tizoc said:
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust to clarify-
In SF4 Dictator is a clone, Gen did not die YET & Gouken wasn't actually dead dead; more like in a coma/suspended animation.

Why's Eiji so popular if you don't mind me asking, he never impressed me at all =P

I want Yashiro to have his 97 HCB+P back >=(

Eiji and Billy are popular as a combo, because of their association in 95, and they always want to kill Iori. Eiji by himself not so much. He's also a fairly easy character to use, which also helps. Also, ninja.

Top Bottom