• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
RegularCitizen said:
There's really no reason those storms need to be called Haboobs. I can understand why people are upset.
Exactly. Like when the news in California started going on about "El Niño" a few years back. This is America, take that brown-people talk back to France!

GhaleonEB

RegularCitizen said:
There's really no reason those storms need to be called Haboobs. I can understand why people are upset.
I assume you're going to start picketing the use of Hurricane then?

Unlike most words that Spanish and English share because of their shared history with Latin, "hurricane" came to English directly from Spanish. But Spanish explorers and conquerers first picked up the word from Taino, an Arawak language from the Caribbean. According to most authorities, the Taino word huracan meant simply "storm," although some less reliable sources indicate that it also referred to a storm god or an evil spirit.​

American storms need full red-blooded American names, dammit. I suggest dustcloudgeddon.

Terrible news everybody.

FAA funding ends; almost 4,000 may be furloughed

Washington (CNN) -- Almost 4,000 Federal Aviation Administration workers are facing furloughs after Congress adjourned Friday without passing a measure to reauthorize the agency's funding, according to the Transportation Department.

A $2.5 billion program providing grants for airport construction projects also will shut down, and thousands of construction jobs could be jeopardized.

Jackson50

worldrunover said:
Every candidate they have is polarizing. So I don't know who you're referring to.
Romney is hardly polarizing. And Perry is not that polarizing. Both are conventional Republicans. They are quintessential conservatives, but they do not drift into the far-right's territory. They certainly would not diminish the GOP's prospects like Bachmann or Santorum would; that is why the establishment will quash their candidacies.

GhaleonEB said:
I assume you're going to start picketing the use of Hurricane then?

Unlike most words that Spanish and English share because of their shared history with Latin, "hurricane" came to English directly from Spanish. But Spanish explorers and conquerers first picked up the word from Taino, an Arawak language from the Caribbean. According to most authorities, the Taino word huracan meant simply "storm," although some less reliable sources indicate that it also referred to a storm god or an evil spirit.​

American storms need full red-blooded American names, dammit. I suggest dustcloudgeddon.
Well, why not just name them like we name hurricanes then? Like Rick or Steve. Good American names, mind you.

besada

Banned
RegularCitizen said:

Can you explain it to me, then, because everyone I've heard try to explain it sounded about as ignorant as a human being could sound.

RegularCitizen said:
They are called Haboobs. Why shouldn't they be called what they are?

Edit:
A haboob (Arabic هبوب, "strong wind") is a type of intense sandstorm commonly observed in arid regions throughout the world. They have been observed in the Sahara desert (typically Sudan), as well as across the Arabian Peninsula, throughout Kuwait, and in the most arid regions of Iraq.[1] African haboobs result from the northward summer shift of the inter-tropical front into North Africa, bringing moisture from the Gulf of Guinea. Haboob winds in the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq, and Kuwait are frequently created by the collapse of a thunderstorm. The arid and semiarid regions of North America – in fact, any dryland region – may experience haboobs. In the USA, they are frequently observed in the deserts of Arizona, including Yuma and Phoenix,[2][3] as well as New Mexico and Texas.[4]

NewLib

Banned
Jackson50 said:
Romney is hardly polarizing. And Perry is not that polarizing. Both are conventional Republicans. They are quintessential conservatives, but they do not drift into the far-right's territory. They certainly would not diminish the GOP's prospects like Bachmann or Santorum would; that is why the establishment will quash their candidacies.

Romney is polarizing in his own fucking party. He looks like an idiot and a hypocrite arguing against the health care law. He also is the M word which is a big deal in True Red country.

Perry isnt polarizing because no one really knows who he is yet, but he is fairly unpopular in Texas.

besada

Banned
RustyNails said:
They are called Haboobs. Why shouldn't they be called what they are?

And meteorologists have been calling them haboobs, regardless of location, since the 1900's at least.

Do we need to get rid of tornado (Spanish), hurricane (Spanish), flood (Old Frisian), sirocco (Arabic), wind (Old Frisian), monsoon (Arabic), typhoon (Greek), storm (proto-Germanic), and squall (Scandanavian)?

I think we'd only have the words rain, blizzard, and snow left to us if we stuck with English derived words.

14th Amendment is not an option. Go that route who is going to buy these new Treasury bonds? What price will they be purchase at? Too many unknowns.

Jackson50 said:

I don't want to live in any world where Rick Perry is not considered part of the "far right."

besada

Banned
RustyNails said:
I wonder what's gonna happen in Arizona schools when kids find out where Algebra came from.

They mention haboobs on the Arizona DOT site. It's a gubermint plot to Arabize our children and impurify our fluids!

Gaborn

NewLib said:
Romney is polarizing in his own fucking party. He looks like an idiot and a hypocrite arguing against the health care law. He also is the M word which is a big deal in True Red country.

Perry isnt polarizing because no one really knows who he is yet, but he is fairly unpopular in Texas.

Funnily enough I'm pretty sure it's a moderately big deal on GAF as well considering GAF's views on religion.

So, does anybody have an itemized list of the various deficit-reduction plans from the Republicans, Obama, etc.? I'm having trouble finding specific (i.e. we're going to cut this at this date, etc.), just nebulous sorts of numbers.

I just don't think it's the right message to be sending our children. We complain about sending jobs overseas and then we don't even use our own words? It's not a huge deal but there are little psychological changes we need to make to turn this country around.

RegularCitizen said:
I just don't think it's the right message to be sending our children. We complain about sending jobs overseas and then we don't even use our own words? It's not a huge deal but there are little psychological changes we need to make to turn this country around.
Are you for real? I swear I took the blue pill yesterday.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
RegularCitizen said:

You should stop speaking English then, that's not yours.

GhaleonEB

RegularCitizen said:
My children had had a burrito for lunch (Spanish) and the other macaroni (Italian).

You are being xenophobic.
vcassano1 said:
You should stop speaking English then, that's not yours.
Ding.

polyh3dron said:
What the hell is going on in here I don't even

Insanity.

A separate amendment offered by Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) wades into another unexpectedly thorny issue: light bulbs. The amendment would have blocked funding for the use of energy-efficient compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs in the Capitol complex. But the House rejected the amendment in a 130-283 vote.

Thompson argued during debate on the amendment Thursday night that many CFLs are not made in the U.S. and that halogen bulbs meet stringent energy-efficiency standards just as well as CFLs.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/172965-house-rejects-effort-to-ban-

Each light bulb saves the government $50.

The republicans do not want the feds to save money.

RegularCitizen said:

Um none of these words are "ours" This is simple assclownery on your part.

Jackson50

RegularCitizen said:
I almost want you to be genuine. Almost.
NewLib said:

Well, we were discussing the general election. What would polarize the base would probably appeal in a general election. Regardless, I do not think Romney is polarizing in his party. The TP contingent may not be wholly amenable. Otherwise, he is viewed favorable; however, he does not elicit strong support. As opposed to being polarizing, he is a bit drab. Again, we were discussing the general election. I think neither his healthcare gymnastics nor his religion will alienate voters.

The discussion was hypothetical. Thus, if he were facing Obama, name recognition would be irrelevant. And while his approval rating has decreased, he recently won reelection for a third term. Moreover, does his unpopularity indicate that he would be polarizing? I do not see it.

RegularCitizen said:
Milabrega said:
Kosmo exits and a RegularCitizen enters, Bulbo remains the same.
It's the cirrrcle of liiiiife

Vestal

Gold Member
Jackson50 said:

Have you seen the rally that Perry is having in texas?!?! if that is not hardcore right wing i don't know what is..

Oh and Romneys problem is that he is a Moderate at heart but has to spout retarded bullshit to get through the GOP Primary.

Vestal said:
Have you seen the rally that Perry is having in texas?!?! if that is not hardcore right wing i don't know what is..
Perry's actually been trying to distance himself from that event a little; his people have gone so far as to suggest that he may not even lead the event, but simply hang out in the crowd.

Vestal

Gold Member
RegularCitizen said:

Ok then..

Lets get rid of everything that is not ours...

Shit what are we going to be left with? language not ours, food not ours.... FUCK !!! OH NOES!

How about this for a change... How about we accept the fact that AMERICA IS A MELTING POT of different cultures, that we are a mix of pretty much everything this planet has to offer.

Vestal

Gold Member
Invisible_Insane said:
Perry's actually been trying to distance himself from that event a little; his people have gone so far as to suggest that he may not even lead the event, but simply hang out in the crowd.

Still he feels the same as GWB... I mean he even talks the same way.. Waiting for a Message from God, Texas Governor...

No.. The country will not be ready to elect a Conservative Republican Governor from Texas to the Presidency for a long time, thank GWB for that.

Vestal said:
Ok then..

Lets get rid of everything that is not ours...

Shit what are we going to be left with? language not ours, food not ours.... FUCK !!! OH NOES!

How about this for a change... How about we accept the fact that AMERICA IS A MELTING POT of different cultures, that we are a mix of pretty much everything this planet has to offer.
Shhh, but don't show this list to RegularCitizen

Vestal

Gold Member
Boehner Set To Call Obama's Bluff In Push For Short-Term Debt Ceiling Deal
Sam Stein said:
House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is set to call the Democratic Party's bluff on the debt ceiling. The Ohio Republican, in a briefing with his conference on Saturday, announced that he would press for a short-term deal, with major spending cuts paired with longer-term deficit-reduction strategies, as a way around the current impasse.
That strategy puts the speaker directly at odds with the White House and allied Democrats, who have insisted for weeks that they would not support a short-term extension of the debt ceiling. The president went so far as to dare House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) to test his opposition to a temporary deal during a tense meeting more than a week ago.
Whether that rigidity will fade as the Aug. 2 deadline to raise the debt ceiling nears is a big gamble on Boehner's part.
[...]
The dual-track approach is, in the end, a roll of the dice on Boehner's part, primarily because it does not guarantee that the debt ceiling will be increased enough to last the government through the 2012 election cycle. Obama has said he won't sign such a bill, and Democratic leadership affirmed on Saturday that they would not support it either.
"They want two tranches with the future raise contingent upon approving the second tranche," explained a Democratic leadership aide. "We won't accept anything that does not get us through 2012 in one fell swoop. We are open to doing cuts in two tranches, but the raise has to be separate and through 2012."
Even Boehner's own party seemed skeptical that his plan could work.
“If it takes a short-term deal, they’ll bring it to the floor," Freshman Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Tex.) told the Washington Post. "I think their concern about bringing it to the floor is whether they can get 218 [votes] or not," he said. “Everybody wants to only go through this pain once.”

STOP PLAYING CHICKEN WITH THE FUTURE OF THE FUCKING COUNTRY!

Dude Abides said:
That looks like an Op-Ed page. WSJ op-ed page has always been crazy.

Yep. Although I have no doubt Murdoch will destroy its news side as well. Everything the man touches turns to tabloid and there is no escape. I think it's even his intention, because he thinks intelligent things mock him. Dude's got massive psychological issues.

sruckus

empty vessel said:
Yep. Although I have no doubt Murdoch will destroy its news side as well. Everything the man touches turns to tabloid and there is no escape. I think it's even his intention, because he thinks intelligent things mock him. Dude's got massive psychological issues.

I unsubscribed a couple months ago. Forgiving the quality downslide, all their article titles are becoming more and more tabloid-like with "clever" sayings. It's crap.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
No way in hell he'd try that shit.
Did you watch his press conference yesterday? I'm beginning to believe that he will if it comes down to it. I don't think the public will skewer him if he does, either.

RegularCitizen said:

I have to agree. It truly is shameful. I mean french fries? What the hell is that? I personally think 'freedom' should be applied to all words. Freedom cars. Freedom burgers. Freedom chicken. Freedom Qu'ran. Freedom Sushi.

XMonkey said:
Did you watch his press conference yesterday? I'm beginning to believe that he will if it comes down to it. I don't think the public will skewer him if he does, either.

Agreed, the public sees what's happening. I would much rather have him unilaterally raise it than take the McConnell/Reid deal, which is a joke. I'm sure the GOP freshmen will start talking about impeachment but the leadership will be relieved Obama got them off the hook. And when a house member sues over it, I seriously doubt the SC would rule against Obama and plunge the world into economic disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom