• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

J10

Banned
tumblr_lpdba0QxHC1qzvqipo1_400.jpg

This was probably posted already but fuck it. My mind was just blown.

I'm borrowing these Advance Wars 2 ones from the cutting room floor.

Obscure loss dialogue for the first mission. You have to have all your units run out of fuel which given the nature of the mission is really hard to do:
Nell: Andy! What in the world?
Your units are out of fuel!!!

Andy: I, um...I though I saw
something, and...

Nell: Don't lie to me, young man! You were
playing around, wasting time and fuel!

Nell: I am VERY disappointed!

Nell: Open up the Map menu and select
Options, please!

Nell: Now choose Yield, and we can
try this over from the beginning.

Andy: OK... I won't mess up again.

If you keep placing a unit when you can't in the map editor enough times this text pops up:
Nell: You must really like doing
that over and over again.

Nell: Keep it up.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not to mention that the Ocarina was in A Link to the Past, which came out only a month after that in Japan and was probably in development much longer.

To be fair, I remember thinking it was a made up instrument when I played OoT when I was 8. :p

EDIT: Speaking of Zelda, I just found out that in the JP version of Majora's Mask, the owl statues didn't allow you to quick-save. That sucks. :/

Firebrand

I think the point is that not only is it an ocarina, but you play it manually using the A, B and C buttons kinda like in OoT. Just a fun coincidence.

Clipper

Watch Da Birdie said:
EDIT: Speaking of Zelda, I just found out that in the JP version of Majora's Mask, the owl statues didn't allow you to quick-save. That sucks. :/
Yeah, that's also apparently why non-Japanese MM has only two save slots. The Japanese version had three slots, but they used one to store the owl data for the other two slots in the other versions.

Erigu

Wait... That doesn't really work, when you compare both maps, does it?
Plus, that's the prehistoric worldmap from Chrono Trigger...

TheOGB

Banned
Just found a shit ton of Street Fighter trivia here. One of my favorites is Ken's Alpha 2 stage:

69IcJ.png

I had previously noticed Linn Kurosawa from the Aliens vs Predators arcade game as well as Felicia and Morrigan from Darkstalkers, but then I come to find out everyone in this stage is a cameo.
Capcom are well known for having their characters make cameo appearances in other games. This is typified in Ken's Street Fighter Alpha 2 stage where many of the guests at Eliza's birthday party are dressed as Capcom characters, old and new. From left to right the characters are: Lord Raptor, Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling from Darkstalkers, the two Unknown Soldiers from Forgotten Worlds, Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers), Jumbo Flapjack and Biff Slamkovich (Saturday Night Slam Masters), Eliza (Ken's wife), Ginzu and Captain Commando from Captain Commando, Michelle Heart (Legendary Wings), Strider Hiryu (Strider), Linn Kurosawa (Aliens Vs. Predator), Felicia (Darkstalkers) and Pure the Mage from Capcom World 2. The person dressed as Strider throws and catches the bear he is holding whenever a super move is performed! The butler on the extreme right is none other than Kenzo Tsujimoto, Capcom CEO and chairman.

jaxword

DiipuSurotu said:
Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross:
IC3FI.jpg

This one is slightly misleading--they had to crop lots of the Cross map to make it fit. Anything past the edges completely changes the shorelines and such.

jaxword said:
FF7 trivia that is sometimes overlooked.

Thanks for those, they're really interesting!
I've got the FFVII Ultimania, but unfortunately I cannot speak or read Japanese so for me it's very difficult to understand a single word :) anyway it's still a good book for all the pictures in it.

-Played carefully, you can have Cloud have sex with at least one man, Tifa, and possibly Aerith. Shine on, you crazy bisexual schizophrenic.

Is there a video or a pic about this homosexual attitude?

jaxword

electroplankton said:
Thanks for those, they're really interesting!
I've got the FFVII Ultimania, but unfortunately I cannot speak or read Japanese so for me it's very difficult to understand a single word :) anyway it's still a good book for all the pictures in it.

Is there a video or a pic about this homosexual attitude?

Remember the slums and Honeybee Inn?

Well, you can cross-dress and (almost) make out with Don Corneo, and also get into a hot tub with lots of men feeling Cloud up and then camera panning away while Cloud can say it feels a little weird.

E10_148.jpg

Cloud's just an experimental guy, but this all depends on the player, off course.

Remember fantasy zone? You fly around in your space ship shooting at things, collecting coins and buying upgrades. Great game, all action with no story to speak of. I played this for many years as a kid.

cF8KW.png

Only thing is....you are not in a spaceship at all. You are actually a living thing that just happens to look like a space ship...and has upgradeable parts and guns.

How do you know? Years later I played through fantasy zone 2 you face a duplicate copy of yourself with the same abilities as the final boss. If you win, you find out from your dad, also a spaceship type being (only giant) that he created that copy because you had been suffering from schizophrenia, and he thought that creating that challenge and the war and enemies you had been fighting against would help you deal with it.

Mind was blown

Amagon

TheOGB said:
Just found a shit ton of Street Fighter trivia here. One of my favorites is Ken's Alpha 2 stage:

69IcJ.png

I had previously noticed Linn Kurosawa from the Aliens vs Predators arcade game as well as Felicia and Morrigan from Darkstalkers, but then I come to find out everyone in this stage is a cameo.
Well, I believe I just found a time waster to read about it this weekend. Thank you my good chum.

Tizoc

TheOGB said:

69IcJ.png

Wow I knew there were cameos in Ken's stage but didn't know about some of the characters. Thanks for that.
...and the reason Strider is holding a teddy bear has to do with an employee who was working on a port of Strider for a console back in the late 80s/early 90s. The guy passed away sadly, but was a fan of teddy bears. So strider being in that background is a tribute to him.

Will check that site out too.

Oh and here's a little fun tidbit, though not necessarily mindblowing-
CvSNK 1- Dojo stage
v9Z88.jpg

SF Alpha 1 Japan stage-
mrq4A.jpg

J10 said:
tumblr_lpdba0QxHC1qzvqipo1_400.jpg

This was probably posted already but fuck it. My mind was just blown.
Your av mate...just...your av.

Amagon

Tizoc said:
Wow I knew there were cameos in Ken's stage but didn't know about some of the characters. Thanks for that.
...and the reason Strider is holding a teddy bear has to do with an employee who was working on a port of Strider for a console back in the late 80s/early 90s. The guy passed away sadly, but was a fan of teddy bears. So strider being in that background is a tribute to him.

Will check that site out too.

Oh and here's a little fun tidbit, though not necessarily mindblowing-
CvSNK 1- Dojo stage
v9Z88.jpg

SF Alpha 1 Japan stage-
mrq4A.jpg

Your av mate...just...your av.
The Street Fighter Alpha stages are godlike!

jaxword said:
Remember the slums and Honeybee Inn?

Well, you can cross-dress and (almost) make out with Don Corneo, and also get into a hot tub with lots of men feeling Cloud up and then camera panning away while Cloud can say it feels a little weird.

E10_148.jpg

Cloud's just an experimental guy, but this all depends on the player, off course.

Thanks!
Concerning development stories, is there an english website that has collected them?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tizoc said:
OH SPEAKING OF WHICH.
Now THIS should blow your mind-
XNgjv.jpg

This stage from Alpha 1 is actually based on this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfGiIg8kHbw
...and yes he is fighting HIM.

Sorry for the lack of a better quality image of that stage ^_^;
Maybe, or maybe it could be just a coincidence since it's Rose's stage and she's supposed to be Italian (and the most recognizable place for an Italian fighter would probably be the Coliseum).

Her character, by the way, is based on Lisa Lisa, a character from the second part of the manga JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Phoenixus

Noticed this the other day, as I've been playing through both recently;

We all remember the '23 is number 1' puzzle from Ocarina of Time right?

legendofzeldaocarinaoft.jpg

Well, a very similar puzzle was used in Links Awakening 5 years earlier (if you number them 1 to 3 from left to right like the Deku Scrubs were)

026a.png

Not mindblowing, but easily glossed over. :)

jaxword said:
This one is slightly misleading--they had to crop lots of the Cross map to make it fit. Anything past the edges completely changes the shorelines and such.

Indeed, not to mention there isn't really anything linking the two in CC as well other than
the dragonians being an evolved form of the reptites

This would probably be better off in the game theories thread.

It was just a interesting similarity. Obviously the Pangea of the Chrono planet didn't somehow become a small
and artificial
island several million years later.

But here's something more concrete and easily overlooked, also from Chrono Cross:

7UQ3P.jpg

The game takes place in 1020 A.D. What happened fifteen years before that? This:

http://i.imgur.com/pQJw2.jpg
(spoiler for Chrono Trigger PSX/DS)

Viper, Garai, Radius, and Zappa tore up the battlefield during the Porre-Guardia war. By the way, El Nido is a protectorate of Porre.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Phoenixus said:
Well, a very similar puzzle was used in Links Awakening 5 years earlier (if you number them 1 to 3 from left to right like the Deku Scrubs were)

026a.png

Not mindblowing, but easily glossed over. :)
That puzzle took the friend, from whom I've borrowed it later, about a year to complete.
All because it was the German version of the game and he didn't know the language at all.
I just used a dictionary to read the hint. Ah, this screenshot surely brings back memories.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
toddhunter said:
Remember fantasy zone? You fly around in your space ship shooting at things, collecting coins and buying upgrades. Great game, all action with no story to speak of. I played this for many years as a kid.

cF8KW.png

Only thing is....you are not in a spaceship at all. You are actually a living thing that just happens to look like a space ship...and has upgradeable parts and guns.

How do you know? Years later I played through fantasy zone 2 you face a duplicate copy of yourself with the same abilities as the final boss. If you win, you find out from your dad, also a spaceship type being (only giant) that he created that copy because you had been suffering from schizophrenia, and he thought that creating that challenge and the war and enemies you had been fighting against would help you deal with it.

Mind was blown
Jesus, that's amazing. I need to find these games again, I always gave up after playing not much of it

RockXLight said:
It's not shown in the video but once you have the ocarina you're supposed to go back the village and a girl tells you which notes to play at the different doors using the A B and C buttons on the megadrive pad. It's eerily similar. Someone should ask Miyamoto if he knew about this game before making Zelda because there's a bunch of other similarities too

Watch Da Birdie said:
Not to mention that the Ocarina was in A Link to the Past, which came out only a month after that in Japan and was probably in development much longer.
But the way you play that Ocarina was automatic in LttP

Firebrand said:
I think the point is that not only is it an ocarina, but you play it manually using the A, B and C buttons kinda like in OoT. Just a fun coincidence.
Exactly, for the type of game that Monster World was, it was basically the 2D platformer version of Zelda (but with a bit more RPG elements). There's a fairly good chance Miyamoto knew about it beforehand

confused

Banned
toddhunter said:

cF8KW.png

Mind was blown

Great post, needs relevant pics.

TheOGB

Banned
toddhunter said:

http://i.imgur.com/cF8KW.png[IMG]

Mind was blown[/QUOTE]
Isn't that [URL="http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100322220928/sonic/images/0/0e/ASR_Opa-Opa.png"]this thing?[/URL]

Don't mean to undermine your discovery, but I never played that game so my first experience with that was Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing. :P

SkylineRKR

Not sure if already posted and its very easy to notice, but DoA 1 for PSX had either Saturn or Arcade screenshots (which was a VERY different game):

1272234824-01.jpg

Always found it odd.

SkylineRKR said:
Not sure if already posted and its very easy to notice, but DoA 1 for PSX had either Saturn or Arcade screenshots (which was a VERY different game):

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1272234824-01.jpg[IMG]

Always found it odd.[/QUOTE]
Can't think of what games but I have seen other titles do the same thing, or use beta images which have quite a huge difference to the final release due to a delay or something.

also, LOL at that quote by one of the male game characters :|

FreeMufasa

SkylineRKR said:

1272234824-01.jpg

Always found it odd.

huh. Bayman was in DOA1? I always thought he was a new character to DOA3 since he wasn't in DOA2 (DC).

Jocchan said:
Maybe, or maybe it could be just a coincidence since it's Rose's stage and she's supposed to be Italian (and the most recognizable place for an Italian fighter would probably be the Coliseum).[/QUOTE

It was confirmed by Capcom.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
toddhunter said:

cF8KW.png

Mind was blown

Space Harrier takes place in the same world. "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone". Also, there was an Opa Opa-like creature on the anime Zillion:

FOTO12.JPG

opa-zill1.jpg

There was also two Zillion games on the Sega Master System, but I don't really remember any significant Opa Opa appearances in that.

drizzle said:
Space Harrier takes place in the same world. "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone".
Never thought about that, awesome!

OpaOpa in sonic racing is awesome too, the way he moves and animates shows that he is more then just a spaceship.

FreeMufasa said:
huh. Bayman was in DOA1? I always thought he was a new character to DOA3 since he wasn't in DOA2 (DC).
Bayman is in the japanese 2nd release of DoA2 Dreamcast also.

Roto13

drizzle said:
Space Harrier takes place in the same world. "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone". Also, there was an Opa Opa-like creature on the anime Zillion:

FOTO12.JPG

opa-zill1.jpg

There was also two Zillion games on the Sega Master System, but I don't really remember any Opa Opa appearances in that.
It's not just an Opa Opa-like creature, it's Opa Opa. :p Zillion was co-produced by Sega.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Roto13 said:
It's not just an Opa Opa-like creature, it's Opa Opa. :p Zillion was co-produced by Sega.
I know it was co-produced by Sega. But isn't the Opa Opa in Zillion a Machine created by the fat mechanic guy, which name escapes me?

God, It's been almost 20 years since I watched it... :D

Chao

drizzle said:
opa-zill1.jpg

There was also two Zillion games on the Sega Master System, but I don't really remember any significant Opa Opa appearances in that.
By the way, clothes on that guy in the middle look just like space harrier's but his hair is black

Top Bottom