• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

grap3fruitman said:
Super Mario Sunshine:
vBSnVl.jpg
Hmm...likely. Here's a better shot:

WZJCI.png

ULTROS! said:
The Mannequin monsters in SH2 were inspired (and obviously fashioned) from Bellmer's Mannequins:
That could be a coincidence, again. At least the creature designer – Masahiro Ito – never said that they were inspired by them, as far as I know.

Razer Reds

Neo Member
Anyone who has played at an arcade has probably tried to use a curse word for their initials one time or another.
Normally it just ends up making your initials be all spaces or something like that.

Well, when I was playing Megaman 2: The Power Fighters on the Megaman Anniversary Collection I input the initials "FUC." The game gave me the initials "YOU."

Chev said:
Kou Kawarajima, actually. But it's easy to get them mixed up.
Nope, it's definetely Urushihara. As confirmed here (and some image boards like Danbooru, but you know that these are highly NSFW).

Also Urushihara's style is QUITE different to Kawarajima's.

Luigi87

While I'm going to guess this probably has been mentioned, but I'm only playing FF6(Advance) for the first time, and I was rather amused when I realized that Sabin's Aura Cannon was the same input for Hadoken.

Prime Blue said:
Hmm...likely. Here's a better shot:

WZJCI.png

That could be a coincidence, again. At least the creature designer – Masahiro Ito – never said that they were inspired by them, as far as I know.

Holy Crap

and also:

HOLY CRAP at the Sonic vs. Looney Tunes thing. I love Rush's Soundtrack so this makes it even better.

Peagles said:
Not sure if been posted, and not that mindblowing given it's the same composer but...

Jiggywiggy's Temple from Banjo Tooie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8vx0EnVxA
Is basically the same tune as...
Mission Success tune from Perfect Dark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F9tcm-7iXk

Just tripped me out one day listening to headphones in the car with parents driving, just happened to listen to them one after the other (I love both tracks).

Ok that is fracking awesome :D

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ok that is fracking awesome :D
It's also fracking wrong.

The composer for Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie was Grant Kirkhope, the composer for Perfect Dark was David Wise.

The two songs sound alike and, given that the games are both from the same company, may be confused with each other, but they are not the same song.

Both games use the same sound assets for their music, though, so that's why they might sound the same but actually aren't.

Sorry :(

EDIT: But now something many people might not know:

In Metal Gear Solid 2 there are many posters of cute chicks hanging inside some of the lockers all throughout the Tanker and Plant missions.
Many people know that, if you hide in one of the lockers, look at the posters and press both the R2+L2 buttons Snake/Raiden will lean forward and a (very, very wet) kissing sound is played. A different sound is played if the locker door is open and Snake/Raiden is knocking on the posters face.

What many people might NOT know is that if you get Snake or Raiden knock at the poster girl's...well...private area, an instant Alarm is triggered with the search team very quickly storming in and searching the area very thoroughly. I don't know if it depends on the difficulty but I think the soldiers always open the locker in which you are hiding, which most of the time is the locker with the poster.

You can see this here (just skip to 5:50 min)

Peagles

You should go correct the Wikipedia article on Perfect Dark in that case, lol. I was just going by the tags on my mp3 player.

I'm not a musical person in the slightest, but the background choir voices sound pretty similar to me. I just thought some gaffers might appreciate the link as much as I did :)

Bjoern the Smexy said:

In Metal Gear Solid 2 there are many posters of cute chicks hanging inside some of the lockers all throughout the Tanker and Plant missions.
Many people know that, if you hide in one of the lockers, look at the posters and press both the R2+L2 buttons Snake/Raiden will lean forward and a (very, very wet) kissing sound is played. A different sound is played if the locker door is open and Snake/Raiden is knocking on the posters face.

What many people might NOT know is that if you get Snake or Raiden knock at the poster girl's...well...private area, an instant Alarm is triggered with the search team very quickly storming in and searching the area very thoroughly. I don't know if it depends on the difficulty but I think the soldiers always open the locker in which you are hiding, which most of the time is the locker with the poster.

Dude, MGS fans have known that since 2001, seriously...

^If you take pictures of the posters, Otacon will make funny comments on them later on at the tanker.

That's common knowledge too. It's just that I never crossed the last pervert line :p

Philanthropist said:
^If you take pictures of the posters, Otacon will make funny comments on them later on at the tanker.

That's common knowledge too. It's just that I never crossed the last pervert line :p
Lol, I actually did this! If you call Otacon up while in a kiss with a poster I think he remarks it too!

Damn I loved the tanker level in MGS2, it was so full of details! I really liked the bar, especially the bottles you could shoot and the cup with icecubes that would melt if you shot it over!

Bjoern the Smexy said:

The composer for Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie was Grant Kirkhope, the composer for Perfect Dark was David Wise.

The two songs sound alike and, given that the games are both from the same company, may be confused with each other, but they are not the same song.

Both games use the same sound assets for their music, though, so that's why they might sound the same but actually aren't.

That's also wrong. David Clinick and Grant Kirkhope are the composers for Perfect Dark (Kirkhope did the gameplay BGM while David did the cutscene music) David Wise had nothing to do with Perfect Dark's OST.

Also I know that the songs are not identical, but they're pretty damn close! (at least at the start)

Furthermore, Grant Kirkhope is known for finding new uses for riffs of music in different games. Listen to his work on the cancelled N64 game "Project Dream" (The one that became Banjo Kazooie) and see if you can recognise any of his music riffs.

http://grantkirkhope.com/dreammaintheme.html
Viva Pinata

http://grantkirkhope.com/chase.html
Mad Monster Mansion

http://grantkirkhope.com/madeleine.html
Tooty's Theme

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Bjoern the Smexy said:

Funny how everywhere I've looked it says Grant Kirkhope composed the music in PD . I even found an interview of him talking about the project. So no, you're wrong on this one :p. Unless Grant had his memory swapped with Dave Wise.

Edit: Damn you, you old monkey :(

MNC

Peagles said:
Not sure if been posted, and not that mindblowing given it's the same composer but...

Jiggywiggy's Temple from Banjo Tooie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8vx0EnVxA
Is basically the same tune as...
Mission Success tune from Perfect Dark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F9tcm-7iXk

Just tripped me out one day listening to headphones in the car with parents driving, just happened to listen to them one after the other (I love both tracks).
I can totally hear it. Fuck that's awesome :D

edit: WHhaaaat. Don't go breaking my heart

Easy_D said:
Funny how everywhere I've looked it says Grant Kirkhope composed the music in PD . I even found an interview of him talking about the project. So no, you're wrong on this one :p. Unless Grant had his memory swapped with Dave Wise.

Edit: Damn you, you old monkey :(
Ah, damn, I mixed something up D:

David Clinick was the sole composer for Perfect Dark Zero, and I always confuse him with David Wise.
You see, this is why I suck. Because I'm a Junior. And still everybody believes me, it's the downfall of us all.

Peagles

MNC said:
I can totally hear it. Fuck that's awesome :D

edit: WHhaaaat. Don't go breaking my heart

I wish I had the music skillz to isolate the part that is similar. When I play them to real life friends I've got a whole bunch of people saying that they hear it, but on the other hand I have a couple of musically talented people who are staring at me blankly, lol.

Thanks Nuclear Muffin, btw, and wicked avatar, I always admired it from afaaaaarrr...

Bjoern the Smexy said:

You can also get a coded conversation with Snake jerking it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Peagles said:
I wish I had the music skillz to isolate the part that is similar. When I play them to real life friends I've got a whole bunch of people saying that they hear it, but on the other hand I have a couple of musically talented people who are staring at me blankly, lol.

Thanks Nuclear Muffin, btw, and wicked avatar, I always admired it from afaaaaarrr...
They sound like the same song with different beats and tempo

Lijik

Up and Up+B were my two favorites.
Never liked how most of the choices had the sprites and background be some totally different colors.

The inverted one was also one I used a lot.

When playing GB games on GBC I preferred the grayscale palette every time.

On Super Gameboy, you could make your own palettes, and i recall making a faux virtual boy one with four shades from red to black. Looked like shit though.

aaaaaa

How did they convert 4-color GB games to 6 colors?

edit:
These palettes each contain up to ten colors.[10] In most games, the four shades displayed on the original Game Boy would translate to different subsets of this 10-color palette, such as by displaying movable sprites in one subset and backgrounds, etc. in another. The grayscale (Left + B) palette produces an appearance essentially identical to that experienced on the original Game Boy.

In addition, 93[citation needed] Game Boy games have a special palette that is enabled when no buttons are pressed. Any game that does not have a special palette will default to the dark green (Right + A) palette. Notable games that do have preset palettes are Metroid II: Return of Samus, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Super Mario Land, Tetris, and the Wario Land series. The default palettes are stored in a database within the internal boot rom of the GBC, and not the game cartridge itself.[11]

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Always played my games either with either "down" or "up+b", those colors made a world of difference for me. Good times

aaaaaa said:
How did they convert 4-color GB games to 6 colors?

edit:
Wario Land 2 made great use of the colors. Absolutely gorgeous to play

Roto13

Ezduo said:
What the fuck, did anyone else know you could do this?

http://i56.tinypic.com/ih8o3t.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
This has been posted multiple times. :P

I get nostalgic for those colours and I really wish 3DS Virtual Console games had the option to use them.

Chuckpebble

Alright, this may be a bit more insane speculation than fact, but I thought about this a long while ago, and figured, "what the heck?" since the recent re-release of NMH.

In No More Heroes 2, there's kind of a neat little thing that happens near the end of the game that I think is worthy of posting just on its own.

After achieving Rank 2, if you return to the gym, you'll notice that Travis' flamboyant trainer has a new pupil, who was not present throughout the rest of the game, doing dead lifts. He appears kind of weak, but its hard to see his face very well, and he seems unimportant. (I believe he's there regardless of whether you've maxed out your training or not. Been a while.)

It seemed odd to me for them to go to the trouble of sticking someone in there at this point of the game, especially when considering all of the other things that the game lacked, camera controls while fighting, reflections in the mirrors, etc. So I got to thinking up crazy crackpot theories on who that dude was.

I've decided it's Bishop.

Now. If you know much at all about that game, you'd say, that's impossible. But wait. Is it?

In the beginning of the game, Bishop is supposedly killed by a gang under orders from Pizza Batt Jr., who was seeking revenge for Travis killing his family in the side missions of the first game. Bishop's head in a brown paper bag gets thrown through Travis' window shortly afterwards.

Certainly seems dead at this point, but there's something that happens later that means he could be alive still.

Travis goes out for revenge and finally works his way up to Pizza Batt Jr. Right before fighting him, Pizza Batt has three butlers enter with the severed heads of Sylvia, Henry and Shinobu on silver platters. You freak out, you fight Batt's first form, and then lo and behold, there's Henry fighting by your side all of a sudden. Henry explains that they're just really good fake severed heads. Travis contemplates getting one.

Now hold on a minute. Am I the only one that thought at this moment that he already owns one of these fake severed heads? Of his best friend!

Anyway. Bishop is alive. And I think he's behind the whole thing and making a return as the villain in the 3rd game. But why would he be the villain, he's supposedly Travis best friend? Well, if you played the first game and you liked to collect t-shirts and money, then no doubt, you went on plenty of long walks while dumpster diving and digging for cash. More than likely you've also called Bishop many times to bring your bike back to you? Well, if you do that a few times, he has some not so nice things to say to you. Motive?

OK, there's that. Back to work for me.

There are actually three different Peter Molyneuxs. These entities, the Molynidae, represent each aspect of Molyneux, and have their own associated cult practices.

-Molyneux Innovator, to whom offerings of ale are poured
-Molyneux Scatologica, to whom a festival is held each in year in honor of the baser products of the human body, and the humor derived from them
-Molyneux Fabricator, who is not so much worshiped as invoked in oaths (ex. "As the Fabricator weaves untruths so do I tell what is truthful")

According to the traditional myth-cycle, the Molynidae live on an island to the East, covered in oak trees, where natives wear beards braided with golden threads, practice ritual scarification, and raise mighty hounds.

Yves Guillemont is actually a cabal of sentient birds, huddled together in an elaborate disguise. His human form is composed of an ashwood frame wrapped in tanned cowhide and painted with berries.

Every seven years the elder birds migrate to their final nesting ground to die, while the chicks are raised. This process takes a month to complete during which "Yves" is helpless to move, yet protected by a mighty owl-king that possesses lordship over the northern wind.

Mailenstein said:
The way you fight Bowser in Super Mario 64 during the boss fights, was not Nintendo's idea in the first place. Why? I uploaded a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE5v9SQ5ZAQ

Some of those clips, including the one of Bowser being swung by the tail, are from the Mario anime called "Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach".

The most hilarious part of the movie is the really blatant product placement.

Chuckpebble said:
Alright, this may be a bit more insane speculation than fact, but I thought about this a long while ago, and figured, "what the heck?" since the recent re-release of NMH.

In No More Heroes 2, there's kind of a neat little thing that happens near the end of the game that I think is worthy of posting just on its own.

After achieving Rank 2, if you return to the gym, you'll notice that Travis' flamboyant trainer has a new pupil, who was not present throughout the rest of the game, doing dead lifts. He appears kind of weak, but its hard to see his face very well, and he seems unimportant. (I believe he's there regardless of whether you've maxed out your training or not. Been a while.)

It seemed odd to me for them to go to the trouble of sticking someone in there at this point of the game, especially when considering all of the other things that the game lacked, camera controls while fighting, reflections in the mirrors, etc. So I got to thinking up crazy crackpot theories on who that dude was.

I've decided it's Bishop.

Now. If you know much at all about that game, you'd say, that's impossible. But wait. Is it?

In the beginning of the game, Bishop is supposedly killed by a gang under orders from Pizza Batt Jr., who was seeking revenge for Travis killing his family in the side missions of the first game. Bishop's head in a brown paper bag gets thrown through Travis' window shortly afterwards.

Certainly seems dead at this point, but there's something that happens later that means he could be alive still.

Travis goes out for revenge and finally works his way up to Pizza Batt Jr. Right before fighting him, Pizza Batt has three butlers enter with the severed heads of Sylvia, Henry and Shinobu on silver platters. You freak out, you fight Batt's first form, and then lo and behold, there's Henry fighting by your side all of a sudden. Henry explains that they're just really good fake severed heads. Travis contemplates getting one.

Now hold on a minute. Am I the only one that thought at this moment that he already owns one of these fake severed heads? Of his best friend!

Anyway. Bishop is alive. And I think he's behind the whole thing and making a return as the villain in the 3rd game. But why would he be the villain, he's supposedly Travis best friend? Well, if you played the first game and you liked to collect t-shirts and money, then no doubt, you went on plenty of long walks while dumpster diving and digging for cash. More than likely you've also called Bishop many times to bring your bike back to you? Well, if you do that a few times, he has some not so nice things to say to you. Motive?

OK, there's that. Back to work for me.
Wow. I feel like I need to replay the game and see it for myself.

You enter Take-Two's offices and notice a Coca-Cola machine in the lobby. Thirsty, you reach into your pocket and rummage for change.

There's an odd feeling as you place the first quarter in. You look at the display and realize to your delight and fortune that someone had already placed the remaining dollar in the machine. The drink will only cost you a single coin. As the can bangs its way into the receptacle, you notice that the lobby, once occupied by a handful of employees and visitors, is now empty. Lunchtime perhaps?

You feel an odd nostalgia as you look at the can. Its design seems older somehow. You feel like you've seen this particular summer design years ago. The late 90s? It's so hard to think. "Why did I come to T2 today?" your brain screams, but no answer comes. Desperate for answers, you crack open the can and take a sip. Maybe quenched thirst will aid your memory.

Suddenly the lobby is occupied again. Nobody seems to have gone anywhere. Yet there's too many people. One too many people. A maintenance man walks up to you and says he has to fix the machine.

"You know," he says. "This machine's seen a lot. They say that when a man loses himself, he loses a part of himself. And that part will find a new home."

What is he talking about? Is this guy crazy? You want to run, but feel compelled to listen.

"Like a cancer, it breaks off, grows, metastasizes in new places. Those feelings linger."

The man is gone. Terrified, you run to a nearby security guard.

"Now hold on," he says, cutting you off. "Where did you get that can?" His eyes are wild and fixated on the cold aluminum cylinder.

A pause. A Walgreens, you finally respond. The nearest Walgreens is 5 miles away. The condensation on the can is still light, not yet settled into heavy wet beads.

"I think you should leave." You think so too.

At home the world becomes a blur. Time changes, the scale and physics of everyday reality bend and grow and twirl until Newton's laws become lies. A hole of nothing grows on your wall, formless. It slowly becomes a rectangle, a frame, a paper, some kind of diploma or award. It hurts to look at, as though you're looking at an optical illusion made physical. It's a PhD.

The Name engraved upon the parchment calls to you. Once you intone It. Twice.

Suddenly, a fragment of your soul pulls you from the brink. Accept an eternity of peace, not madness. You scramble to a dresser drawer. It seems hard to open, like you don't know how. A loaded revolver lies pregnant with the sleep of ages. Its cold barrel a tease as you struggle to fire it. How. How. How.

The key bindings appear. PgDwn. PgDwn? Who... ? The Name becomes all you can think of. One final third time. It is your reality. No. You resist. You must.

You press PgDwn and suddenly the world explodes into blue. A 640x480 grid of blue checkerboards, with a floor of gray. Floating forms of manila folders, CRT monitors, and recycling bins hang overhead, labeled appropriately. Your attempts have been thwarted.

You speak the Name The Third Time and He is there. He smiles and extends a hand to take you to a world 1000 years in the making where the logic of today no longer binds us.

"But I have no fare," you say.

He closes His hand and opens it. On His palm is the quarter.

"You've already paid it."

Most people believe the Panasonic M2 was never released. This could not be further from the truth. In reality, every video game system released since 1997 is really an M2. Sociologists, engineers, and economists realized that the insane power of the M2 was so far in advance of what existed at the time, that both the public and developers would be incapable of understanding its true power.

In response, manufacturers began releasing systems that were essentially limited versions of the M2, slowly attempting to comprehend the godlike mechanisms that 3DO and Panasonic had forged.

It is currently projected that we will finally reach the True M2 Limit (also known as Peak M2) sometime in 2037. Engineers are working around the clock to create an M2 successor, an M3, but prospects are grim and even the more optimistic forecasts call for social and economic disaster and casualties in the hundreds of millions worldwide in the ensuing conflicts.

Top Bottom