• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True: Nintendo 3DS price drop @ Wal-Mart Aug. 9 ($170 + 20 free games, no hassle)

donny2112

New information, new thread.

CheapyD (owner of CAG) got word that Wal-Mart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS to $170 on August 9. Therefore, you can buy at Wal-Mart at the new price and have three days to connect to the Nintendo eShop to register to get the free 20 games. No hassle with buying before and then going back to price match afterwards.

Wario64 posted this in the price drop mega-thread, but if accurate, definitely deserves its own thread.

Edit:
Shig said:
I can confirm this, saw the memo in person.

Better go early, though. Slow-selling item + time = Stores aren't stocking enough to meet a sharp increase in demand. Store I'm at only stocks 4-6 at a time, as that was plenty to meet demand pre-price cut.

pramath

Banned
I think this is accurate.
If so, it really is a steal, although as an early adopter, I feel slightly cheated

gkryhewy

If you were an early adopter, you should have gotten a $35 credit on the console plus B1G1 free launch games, making it less of a differential. If you bought at launch and didn't take advantage of one of the many deals around, that's a bit silly.

pramath

Banned
gkryhewy said:
If you were an early adopter, you should have gotten a $35 credit on the console plus B1G1 free launch games, making it less of a differential. If you bought at launch and didn't take advantage of one of the many deals around, that's a bit silly.
I got it on the 3rd of May, so I missed all those deals.
Got it for full price (FROM WALMART, NO LESS), and while I do not regret the purchase, I have to admit I feel slightly... I dunno, well, not great about this.

On the other hand, this is the best deal you could get! For $170, you get the 20 free NES and GBA games, access to the entire DS and DSi library, as well as access to the 3DS library. Best of all worlds, so if you haven't jumped in yet, now's the opportune time, methinks.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Better go early, though. Slow-selling item + time = Stores aren't stocking enough to meet a sharp increase in demand. Store I'm at only stocks 4-6 at a time, as that was plenty to meet demand pre-price cut.

Shig said:

Good to know, thanks.

donny2112

pramath said:
On the other hand, this is the best deal you could get!

Yeah. I was pretty comfortable not getting a 3DS, since I may not want all 20 games so they weren't worth $4 each to me. Plus, still would prefer a larger version with movie support. However now the prospect of $170 with the 20 games and one of the games being rumored as SMA4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (
and even the slightest chance of DLC support for the missing wonderful e-Reader cards *shudders*
), I think I'm falling over into the "get a 3DS now" camp. Hmmm.

Shig said:

Thanks! Added to the OP.

Would this price drop go live at midnight or do price drops usually start at a certain time?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
donny2112 said:
Would this price drop go live at midnight or do price drops usually start at a certain time?
It would be logical for the drop to go live at 12:01, but logicality isn't always Wally World's strong suit, so I'm not sure. I'll try and find out.

Mrbob

gkryhewy said:

Don't forget those sweet pre release trade ins too. I got 50 bucks off for my DSlite.

Iain'tevenmad.

Huff

Banned
If real, going to buy. I'm not really interested in the 20 games or any of the software out now or coming out later this year, but my DS just broke and I'm still working through that backlog.

No point in not getting the 20 games if I can.

Jme

Nekofrog said:
Early adopters knew the risk.
But they did not know the 'early adopter tax' would be removed SO QUICKLY.
People do know the risk, and are willing to pay more at launch to enjoy the system (or whatever it may be) for a year+ before a price reduction.
Having a dramatic cut in price six months in, is not a risk anyone would have predicted.

Nekofrog

Banned
Jme said:
But they did not know the 'early adopter tax' would be removed SO QUICKLY.
People do know the risk, and are willing to pay more at launch to enjoy the system (or whatever it may be) for a year+ before a price reduction.
Having a dramatic cut in price six months in, is not a risk anyone would have predicted.

Look, the writing was on the wall for the 3DS before it even launched. The price point, the lack of viable software, everything. Every 3DS owner who paid $250 for the system with the aforementioned knowledge gets no sympathy from me.

Gunsmithx

This is very tempting, especially with the Vita launch now moved to next year, might just dip into my vita fund for it.

pramath said:
I know, right?
I know this isn't under Nintendo's control, but still... :(
I feel cheated.

Why? You still get the 20 games........

You obviously felt the 3ds was worth $250 or else you wouldn't have bought it.

legbone said:
yep, i always know the risk. doesn't mean it doesn't sting a little.

I would have thought that the lack of compelling software would sting more than other people getting the hardware for slightly less money.

Just throwing this in here as well.
Ghost Recon 3DS will be $17 at Target next week, if you're looking for a good game to get with your shiny new system.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
One of the biggest Polish (mostly) online shops is doing this as well, you can buy the 3DS for the discounted price since I think yesterday.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
outunderthestars said:

No, the early adopter tax was worth the months of gameplay VS expected price drop (Q1,Q2 next year)
If I had known it'd drop $80 so quickly, then it wouldn't have been worth the extra time/money.

Should have waited and gotten the $80 off and 20 rom dumps like many people will now.

Bog

Junior Ace
outunderthestars said:

Hell, I remember when everyone was happy it was announced at $250 and not more.

donny2112

Bog said:
I remember when everyone was happy it was announced at $250 and not more.

You must be talking about the Vita price reveal, because that definitely wasn't the case with the 3DS price reveal. Even made comments about articles saying lack of Digital shop was the big problem with the 3DS, when it was clearly the price that was going to be a much larger problem.

BurntPork

Banned
outunderthestars said:

This is what I don't get about early adopters who complain. You knew the price would be cut at some point. I don't see how that cut coming sooner than you though makes a huge difference.

AzureNightmare said:
I love my 3DS so the 20 free games are icing on the cake.

Seriously.
I never owned a NES, so all these games (besides Mario Bros) will be new to me.
And I didn't get a lot of those GBA games (but I still want Fusion, because that game is AWESOME!)

Smellycat

Man... I was going to hold off on buying one until a new model was released.

But, $170 + 20 free games is an amazing deal.

Does anyone know if the deal will start at midnight?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
outunderthestars said:
I would have thought that the lack of compelling software would sting more than other people getting the hardware for slightly less money.
$80 is not "slightly less money". Plus it stings because they get it for less, and they get the free games that were meant for people that paid more for the system. Kind of sucks.

Fantastical said:
$80 is not "slightly less money". Plus it stings because they get it for less, and they get the free games that were meant for people that paid more for the system. Kind of sucks.

Is their getting the free games as well keeping you from getting them? I don't see what the big deal is here.

Top Bottom