• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

boingball

I love how Patrick Seybold always finds that small nugget which puts a positive spin on Sony's sales numbers. Hey, we sold 12 Sharpshooter Move accessories, up from 10.

BurntPork

Banned
allan-bh said:
3DS sales in july probably are abysmal.
Yeah. I'm not counting on Nintendo even making a press release. Wii's probably below 150k as well. Nintendo really fucked-up this year.

Sony's probably not doing great either if the 360's 277k made up 45% of this month's console sales.

kswiston

I can't say that I am pulling my weight these days. Thanks to the amazing deals on Steam and other DD services, I have found myself becoming increasingly miserly with my physical purchases. 3 years ago $20-30 for a AAA game that was ~4-6 months old seemed like a no-brainer purchase if I was sort of interested in the title. Now it seems like a rip-off :/

Seda

Nintendo PR? (Nintendo Everything)

Nintendo PR said:
Just Dance 2 Becomes Eighth Wii Title to Sell More Than 5 Million Units

Just Dance® 2 from Ubisoft®, which plays exclusively on Nintendo’s Wii™ console, has sold more than 5 million units, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. With this milestone, the Wii system now has eight 5-million sellers* in the U.S., twice as many as competing current-generation consoles combined.

In the month of July, seven of the top 10 and 15 of the top 25 best-selling software SKUs play on Nintendo platforms. Just Dance 2 sold more than 120,000 units to finish No. 3 for the month.

“By crossing the 5 million sales mark, Just Dance 2 joins one of the most exclusive clubs in the world of video games,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Nintendo systems have games for every type of player. We’re poised for a great holiday season, thanks to tremendous value across all our platforms and fan-favorite franchises delivering fun new surprises.”

During the next few months, Nintendo will release a huge selection of fan-favorite titles. This includes Star Fox 64™ 3D, Super Mario™ 3D Land and Mario Kart™7 for the Nintendo 3DS™ portable entertainment system, The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword for Wii and Kirby™ Mass Attack for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, which was the best-selling platform in July.

* The Wii titles to surpass 5 million units sold in the U.S. include: Wii Play™ (13.04 million), Mario Kart™Wii (10.64 million), New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii (8.36 million), Wii Fit™ (8.17 million), Wii Fit™Plus (7.06 million), Wii Sports Resort™ (6.45 million), Super Smash Bros.™Brawl (5.28 million) and Just Dance 2 (5.09 million).

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

So NDS > 277k
Just Dance 2 >120k

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
jvm said:
For the record:
Is that really their entire PR release? Pretty dull.

Since it was a Call of Duty map pack month, that probably also contributed to the increase in Playstation "peripheral sales" (PSN cards)

Nintendo PR said:
With this milestone, the Wii system now has eight 5-million sellers* in the U.S., twice as many as competing current-generation consoles combined.

Twice as many as the PS3 and 360 combined? That doesn't seem likely.. I'm sure they have more than 4 combined. Call of Duty alone should have 4 5m+ sellers.
Unless they combine the versions of Black Ops and MW2. Which only leaves Halo 3 and Reach.

jvm said:
For the record:

2hmeyph.gif

[Nintex]

Wario64 said:
Our sales of the PS3 vertical stand has increased by 40%!
This is a message from Kazuo Hirai, Sony corp. would like to inform you that the PlayStation eco-system is very well, that is all thank you.

Levyne

Banned
kswiston said:
I can't say that I am pulling my weight these days. Thanks to the amazing deals on Steam and other DD services, I have found myself becoming increasingly miserly with my physical purchases. 3 years ago $20-30 for a AAA game that was ~4-6 months old seemed like a no-brainer purchase if I was sort of interested in the title. Now it seems like a rip-off :/

I so wish I had a gaming computer...

Truespeed

Why does Sony always try to hide the numbers. They eventually come out. Anyway, with 338, 556 units still on the table it's percentage guessing time.

PS3 55% 186, 205
Wii 45% 152, 350

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Teetris said:
They don't care anymore and are just fucking around now

To be honest I've always wondered why any of them cared about NPD. It's becoming more and more irrelevant every month as the retail slice of the pie shrinks every month.

Either way if there's a PS3 price cut coming on the horizon it probably couldn't come soon enough (for the US anyway).

[Nintex]

Nintendo cheerleading for Ubisoft and not a word about the performance of the incredible Nintendo 3DS. Also Mofitt has been indoctrinated in boring Nintendo PR-speak.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well,15 positions of top 25 is impressive...and it is comparable to having 5 games in low part of top 10 in a normal month,at least. :p

We're seeing the typical decline we see as we get towards the end of a generation. If Microsoft and Sony continue to try and milk this generation things will only get worse, we need a new generation ASAP.

Special J

Banned
snoopeasystreet said:
How did Bastion do on the live arcade? Enough to crack the top 10?

debut #1 on xbla charts but i dont know how many sell in a week.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-bastion-tops-xbox-live-arcade-chart

then 2nd week
from dust debut #1 and bastion maintained #2
http://majornelson.com/2011/08/03/live-activity-for-week-of-july-25th/

then 3rd week
from dust stayed #1
twisted planet #2
bastion #3
http://majornelson.com/2011/08/10/live-activity-for-week-of-august-1st/

ya these are probably selling incredibly well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Funny thing about the Sony quote is that Playstation Move didn't come out till Sept 2010 and Sharp Shooter came out around February this year I think. And only 18% YOY? lol. Strong consumer interest indeed.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Road said:
By December it'll be just "Please look forward to the PlayStation Vita".
"pre-order now for a sheet of burger king vouchers with savings of up to £15!"

[Nintex]

What about Zelda Nintendo? You know 10/10 , best game ever, the game that would bring premier first party Nintendo content to the Nintendo 3DS and fix it?

Ocarina of Time 3D has been in the top 20 of Amazon Video Game Bestsellers since the announcment of the price drop, just like the two $169.99 3DS's.

JaxJag

Banned
BurntPork said:
So, both Sony and Nintendo are on life support, while console with almost no exclusives thrives?

Yeah man, crazy how the Wii's amazing 2011 lineup isn't pulling in more people.

kswiston

Mpl90 said:
Well,15 positions of top 25 is impressive...and it is comparable to having 5 games in low part of top 10 in a normal month,at least. :p

It's a useless statement when most of those 15 games are on every system. All three companies could claim similar or better numbers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Special J said:
debut #1 on xbla charts but i dont know how many sell in a week.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-bastion-tops-xbox-live-arcade-chart

then 2nd week
from dust debut #1 and bastion maintained #2
http://majornelson.com/2011/08/03/live-activity-for-week-of-july-25th/

then 3rd week
from dust stayed #1
twisted planet #2
bastion #3
http://majornelson.com/2011/08/10/live-activity-for-week-of-august-1st/

ya these are probably selling incredibly well.

Gamasutra / GAF's Rlan does a monthly XBLA sales* roundup so if you just wait a few weeks you'll get some data. * He monitors leaderboard entries, which correlate somewhat to sales although not 100% exactly.

Special J

Banned
BurntPork said:
So, both Sony and Nintendo are on life support, while console with almost no exclusives thrives?

I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

well you have to remember that xbox numbers are inflated by the laptop promotion, but the no exclusives is just false and dumb. if you wanna say you dont like the games that are exclusive that's fine.

A Human Becoming said:
You know you had a bad month when half your PR response is about how well a third party game sold.
Well, they could have been total dicks and pointed out that in July, one of their exclusive games from five years ago outsold every single PS3 and MS exclusive game that has ever come out, no matter how recently they were released.

Damn, I should be doing PR.

Road

user_nat said:
Twice as many as the PS3 and 360 combined? That doesn't seem likely.. I'm sure they have more than 4 combined. Call of Duty alone should have 4 5m+ sellers.
Unless they combine the versions of Black Ops and MW2. Which only leaves Halo 3 and Reach.
Yep. I would expect at least

360 - Halo 3
360 - MW2
360 - MW
360 - BO
PS3 - BO

to be over 5 million.

Danny 117

CadetMahoney said:
ms
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee508/coolstory_b/0fdb22dbfeecacd8227122dce2b11c3e-e96c3851333a3bef09373cc85240b777.jpg[img]

nin
[img]http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmhme9jkQ61qii6tmo1_250.gif[img]

sony
[img]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2011/8/9/1312894307321/Sony-warehouse-007.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I lol'd.

Hopefully things pick up this month ;(. I was enjoying the 360 exceeding everyone's expectations.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
user_nat said:

My guess would be:
Black Ops (PS3)
Black Ops (360)
Modern Warfare 2 (360)
Halo 3

Top Bottom