• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

sneaky77

I thought EA changed the main name to Shift to differenciate from the other NFS games, it still had NFS all over the cover.. and I am hoping they get a chance to make a 3rd.

shinnn said:
IGN: EA blocks Porsche from appearing in Forza 4
Racing game fans to suffer due to exclusive agreement

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1190348p1.html

Ultimately the real victims are racing sim fans, particularly Porsche aficionados. It's worth noting that, despite the fact EA holds the exclusive Porsche license, SHIFT 2 only features around a dozen Porsches. Forza Motorsport 3 features more than 35. It can be argued Turn 10 has made a better use of its Porsche sub-license than EA has recently made with the license itself.

lol ea

They better not fuck around with the Huayra's 2011 exclusivity while they're at it.

Shaneus

Spaceman Spiff said:
lol ea

They better not fuck around with the Huayra's 2011 exclusivity while they're at it.
They already have. It's not bundled in the game but BADNED (I think) heavily hinted that it would be 2012 DLC. Pretty sure it was right in this thread, too.

eek5

T10 should've brought over all the RUF models not just 3.. I mean most of the modeling work is already done right?

Mascot

So RUF is a slam dunk for autovista treatment, yeah? Show Porsche marketing dept just what fuckwads they've been by selling their soul to the devil.

Fuck you, EA, you cock-juggling thundercunts.

Latest score:
Bad News 1 - 0 Good News

LQX

saladine1 said:
No Porsche
No weather
No night
No Bathurst
No Spa
No dirt
........it can only get better from here on out...
The fourth fucking Forza and there are no weather effects really suck. PGR4 from 2007 had snow and rain.

okenny

Banned
LQX said:
The fourth fucking Forza and there are no weather effects really suck. PGR4 from 2007 had snow and rain.

It's good to know all other racing games have achieved parity with Forza's feature sets. Those Turn 10 guys need to stop slacking and get to work!

brotkasten said:
I thought the Shift series was dead, after EA sent Shift 2 to die. It wasnt even called Need For Speed anymore. Slightly Mad Studios confirmed that they didn't get a deal for a third game.

Yep no plan for 3rd so far and didn't Slightly Mad said there were some "creative differences" between them and the publisher regarding the direction of the game.

I enjoy Shift well enough but 30 FPS and occasional shitty physic model really ruin the game for me.

So we will 4-5 Porsche model only in the arcade racer due to EA. So much for Peter Moore being Microsoft Trojan Horse.

This statement by Dan really make me sad -

"While we respect EA's need to run their business as they see fit, we've regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach," continues Greenawalt. "Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we've always found that we just weren't willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem."

lord pie

Well. According to wikipedia (yeah, I know) the last NFS branded game to include Ferrari was 2002's Hot Pursuit 2. While shift 1 had Ferrari DLC. (?)

I'm not condoning EA's actions here, but from my armchair perspective Microsoft appear to be being even more arse-holey with the Ferrari license.

lord pie said:
Well. According to wikipedia (yeah, I know) the last NFS branded game to include Ferrari was 2002's Hot Pursuit 2. While shift 1 had Ferrari DLC. (?)

I'm not condoning EA's actions here, but from my armchair perspective Microsoft appear to be being even more arse-holey with the Ferrari license.

May be EA didn't want Porsche in the game and doesn't want to pay for the license?

When they do, MS granted the license as in the case of Shift 1 DLC. (The license holder on PS3, I think it's System 3, did not allow EA to put Ferrari on that platform that's why there was no DLC for PS3). According to Badned in the other thread, that Ferrari DLC was something Slightly Mad had been working on before Shift.

BADNED

lord pie said:

Ever thought about what sort of NFS games came out after NFS:HP2? The NO came there directly from Ferrari and not from a platform license holder, just for the info.

eso76

BADNED said:
Ever thought about what sort of NFS games came out after NFS:HP2? The NO came there directly from Ferrari and not from a platform license holder, just for the info.

trackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackreveal

(nurburgring nordschleife ? )

Shaneus

eso76 said:
trackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackrevealtrackreveal

IMG_1312%20copy.jpg

Porsche Leipzig test track. Would be AMAZING.

BADNED

eso76 said:

Later today, respectively tomorrow for some eastern hemisphere residents.

Shaneus said:
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/AntonioAlvendia/Germany/Porsche%20Leipzig/IMG_1312%20copy.jpg
Porsche Leipzig test track. Would be AMAZING.
NFS ProStreet the only way atm to play on it.

Shaneus

More for troll value, but actually looking into it, it'd be pretty sweet to have in a game. Interesting environments and corners inspired by some pretty major circuits. Assuming that being a test track, there'd be many combinations of layouts, too.

Edit: Cheers BADNED. Didn't realise it was in any games at all!

Shaneus said:
If we could get the weather effects and tracks from PGR4 at 60fps on the 360... hooooly shit.

That's not going to happen. People seem to conveniently forget several things about PGR4. Come on, I absolutely love that game to bits, but it ran at 30fps, with some serious framerate dips with rain and with no more than 8 cars on screen. They even had to get rid of dynamic shadows in an update in order to have decent performance. There's no way you can do that at 60fps on a 360 unless you are willing to cut those many corners, and then some more.

To me, the one thing that they could improve on without wasting resources is the sense of speed, which is next to none in Forza. Would it kill to have the option to use a more dynamic kind of camera? I'm not talking Shift levels of movement and post-processing retardation, but something subtle, PGR-like.

amar212

Everybody is talking about the Porsche from the interview and nobody prasied the actual game structure details revelead.

Great ideas there gathered in one place. All 7 classes of Rivals, rivalry execution and benefits, Badges, Medals, allround leveling, car Affililation, everything.

From whar is disclosed, it seems at this point - on paper at least - that FM4 will give one of the best game-structures ever concived in driving genre. Somehow I really wished they'll further ehance everything eith some License system, along the lines of Great Driver Challenge from F355 Challenge game in order to avoid comparasions with GT system.

But nevermind, this overall career system already looks nothing less than gorgeous.

Mascot

Shaneus said:
Didn't realise it was in any games at all!
Technically it isn't: it's in NFS Pro Street.

Jeez, I crack myself up.

BADNED, for the sake of our sanity, throw us a marrow-filled fleshy bone in this darkest of hours. Have mercy on us, just this once. No hints, no cryptography, no riddles wrapped in conundrums. Confirm something cool and we will love you forever.

Shaneus

Fuck, forgot about some of the awesome stuff he mentioned. Rivals sounds absolutely AMAZING. Sounds like they've nailed the implementation of it.

Mascot

Shaneus said:
Fuck, forgot about some of the awesome stuff he mentioned. Rivals sounds absolutely AMAZING. Sounds like they've nailed the implementation of it.
Yeah, the rest of that article has some very positive news, lost in all the Porsche guff.

In fact, that's a goal for the good guys:

Bad News 1 - 1 Good News

G Rom

I'm glad that we'll get cash bonus from leveling cars and the whole rivals mode and badges/medals sound awesome.
Can't wait for the Reasonably Priced Car leaderboard filled with millions of people. :lol

BADNED over at Forza Central said:
BTW don't be surprised when the track is one you already know.

Probably Infineon Raceway.

amar212 said:
Everybody is talking about the Porsche from the interview and nobody prasied the actual game structure details revelead.

Great ideas there gathered in one place. All 7 classes of Rivals, rivalry execution and benefits, Badges, Medals, allround leveling, car Affililation, everything.

From whar is disclosed, it seems at this point - on paper at least - that FM4 will give one of the best game-structures ever concived in driving genre. Somehow I really wished they'll further ehance everything eith some License system, along the lines of Great Driver Challenge from F355 Challenge game in order to avoid comparasions with GT system.

But nevermind, this overall career system already looks nothing less than gorgeous.

Great news. Both career modes on Forza 2 and 3 were a chore. There was no real sense of progress or achievement; it was plain boring. I'm glad they're spicing things up this time around.

Shaneus

The levelling with manufacturers is a great idea, too. Keen to see how the ID cards and badges work out, I'm guessing something similar to how those little applet/signature things work with picking up your XBL avatar and gamerscore.

Mascot

Shaneus said:
I've not seen much of Infineon (or many other US tracks for that matter, other than what I've seen in games) but it looks like a good layout for a track.
Don't know too much about the track either, but my only concern is that visually it's another beige dust bowl like Laguna Seca. Looks to have some good flowing ribbons though.

img_track_infineon_raceway.png

Shaneus

Mascot said:
Don't know too much about the track either, but my only concern is that visually it's another beige dust bowl like Laguna Seca. Looks to have some good flowing ribbons though.

http://www.keigwin.com/images/img_track_infineon_raceway.png[img][/QUOTE]
They're exactly what I was drawn to. I love flowing corners like that your car just barely sticks to. I know Alpine has those but the more the merrier.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
I've not seen much of Infineon (or many other US tracks for that matter, other than what I've seen in games) but it looks like a good layout for a track.
Infineon was great in Race Driver and GT4. Not a stunner in terms of scenery, but it is fun as hell to drive.

eso76

G Rom said:
Probably Infineon Raceway.

nope, they already stated it was a VERY old friend, so it's either a returning fm1 track (which i doubt but you never know) or a track that has always been there.

At the same time, "revealing" an old track wouldn't make much sense, unless the track has received a significant update.
And what old track needed an update the worst ?
I'd say it's Nordschleife.

Either way, we're probably going to be treated to some delicious direct feed replay footage, so it could even be sidewinder and i'd be happy :p

Shaneus

Great, todays reveal has been ruined. I bet Dan was just lurking in this thread and thinking along these lines:

"Hm, can't wait until we do the unveiling of Nordschleife tomorrow. It's incubated long eno... wait, what's this?"
eso76 said:
it could even be sidewinder and i'd be happy :p
"Fuck it. If the folks want Sidewinder, then that's what we'll give them! Add the rest of the tracks as DLC."

CozMick

Banned
Mascot said:
Not officially, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Well that's certainly a kick in the nuts.

I took a couple of months away from GT5 waiting for dlc and now this...

Another dev that needs to get there priorities straight :\

Weather/Night racing >>>>>>>>>>>> Autovista.

boris feinbrand said:
Youtube finally uploaded my video:

Sorry for the shaky camera and the suck ass driving, but drifting around corners with the BMW M5 was tons of fun:

Gamescom Gameplay
so happy that the driver turns the wheel more then 5degrees now when using a pad, that shit was annoying in forza 3 especially in regular cars.

CozMick said:
Another dev that needs to get there priorities straight :\

Not for me. It doesn't make sense to have weather if your framerate is going to sink, which would most probably be the case. I would love to have proper weather implemented, but they have made the right call making sure that they support 16 car on track and having proper, rock-solid, v-synced, 60fps gameplay.

Night racing to me is simply not worth it. Sure, it might be cool to have them check that box, but it adds nothing from a gameplay perspective; it's just the same tracks with poor visibility.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
CozMick said:
Well that's certainly a kick in the nuts.

I took a couple of months away from GT5 waiting for dlc and now this...

Another dev that needs to get there priorities straight :

Forza is all about the glory and worshipping of the car.

Weather to be done properly is a gen away (meaning to take into account it's effects on physics in real time and not static weather), night racing could be done though.

Just enjoy FM 4 when it's out :p

Trunchisholm said:
Not for me. It doesn't make sense to have weather if your framerate is going to sink, which would most probably be the case. I would love to have proper weather implemented, but they have made the right call making sure that they support 16 car on track and having proper, rock-solid, 60fps, v-synced gameplay.

Night racing to me is simply not worth it. Sure, it might be cool to have them check that box, but it adds nothing from a gameplay perspective; it's just the same tracks with poor visibility.

Are you serious?

Mascot

Trunchisholm said:

I tend to agree. Incubate that shit until hardware can render it realistically. I wish FM4 had GT5-like driving lights for dawn/dusk though. They don't need to cast light anywhere, just have them rendered.

Jamesways said:
Oh yeah, EA burned that bridge so hard they nuked the riverbed. There will be no sim type game or Shift or SMS partnership ever again. You think SMS will look lightly at forced layoffs right after release?

Look forward to HP/Carbon/Underground racing from here on out. From my trip to Guildford, I understand Criterion isn't exactly open with or trusts EA completely either. Black Box, like the good old days, it may only be in the future.

Like I said, it's sad that FM3 and Shift 2 will be the last of any racing class Porsches for some time.

That is a shame...I really enjoyed Shift 2. It runs amazing on my PC and while the controls and car physics are not the best I still had a great time with it.

Top Bottom