• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

saladine1

soundscream said:
Just like they were Porsche questions......
Lol, not looking too good.

I have to say this, if we don't at least get something along the lines of night, weather, rally, then I will be very disappointed.
It doesn't have to be dynamic weather, it doesn't have to be dynamic time of day, it doesn't have to be full blown rally stages. One dirt or tarmac track, one track to feature night and one track to be wet is all that is needed. Heck, even if someone sprayed the ground with a fucking hose, I wouldn't mind. Anything, to alleviate the tedium of sunny skies and glass smooth surfaces....

sneaky77

saladine1 said:
Lol, not looking too good.

I have to say this, if we don't at least get something along the lines of night, weather, rally, then I will be very disappointed.

I think you best get ready.

I mean, they already confirmed different times of days in certain tracks with the last track video that had dusk conditions. I don't think they are going to have Rally.. and night is doubtful, I think weather is clearly leaning to a no.

Come on Turn 10 announce a FM1 track it will make everything wonderful

DoubleRainbowPic_480x360.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
soundscream said:
I always had my car upgraded so I never got utilize the discounts from leveling up my car so this is a welcomed change.

i agree, its just 30 min seems awfully low to unlock free upgrades. why buy any?

soundscream said:
I always had my car upgraded so I never got utilize the discounts from leveling up my car so this is a welcomed change.

Lots of really welcomed changes/improvements to the series--custom lobbies back, improved rewards system (less credit grinding, hopefully) and a better leveling system. Which just makes the fact that Porsche is missing worse. Ugh.

sneaky77 said:
i think you only need the gamertag on the email somewhere

Ah cheers! Hoping to get the cash to pre order it on Monday. Even though it doesn't cost anything, I always like to know I'll have the cash for when it comes out my account.

Marco1

Just heard and I can't believe there's no porsche!
If anyone did the name service it was T10.
EA should hang their heads in shame.
I will feel strange playing forza with no porsche and I am sure T10 have them modeled for autovista in case EA changed their minds.
I was buying a 360 tomorrow for forza 4 and GOW3 but with no porsche I don't think I'll bother now.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Marco1 said:
Just heard and I can't believe there's no porsche!
If anyone did the name service it was T10.
EA should hang their heads in shame.
I will feel strange playing forza with no porsche and I am sure T10 have them modeled for autovista in case EA changed their minds.
I was buying a 360 tomorrow for forza 4 and GOW3 but with no porsche I don't think I'll bother now.

There are 80 other makes, so that seems silly. Maybe thats just me because Porsche is one of my least favorite sportscar/supercar manufacturers.

amar212

I do not find lack of Porsche problematic per-se, my *problem* is lack of it because of overall context of the game.

It is pretty much unisone opinion how FM's library of cars achieved with FM3 and including DLC models was the best collection of road and race vehicles in one single AAA title (with exclusion of *specialized* classes).

Not having a Porche in FM4 is much more problematic in light of overall *collection* where Porsche will be missing more as a milestone of overall importance in idustry from both its history, charisma and influence in overall motorsport and road-vehicle segment than as not being able to drive GT3.

I was looking forward that FM4 will be the ultimate game for automotive lovers where I will be able to indulge personal lifelong affection towards cars and make them come alive from books and magazines I would compare them with.

This overall industry trend - let's face it, EA did what anybody would do in their position - is hurting the genre. In behalf of all people that actually play their driving games for more than 4 weeks after its release this trend have reached worriing proportions.

AMUSIX

For Forza 4 to have a complete stable of automotive pillars, the answer here is simple...

There is no storied manufacturer out of Stuttgart.

paskowitz

Bro hug:

Porsche doesn’t care about video game people

Porsche loves to claim it's the winningest carmaker in history. But that's a lie. Most people now race in video games. And now, thanks to Porsche's absence from Forza 4, most video gamers won't be racing Porsches to victory. It also confirms what we've long known: Porsche doesn't care about video game people.

The real culprit in this Forza 4 debacle isn't EA, despite holding a contractual agreement with Porsche requiring other companies to sub-license the cars from them. Although that's who everyone's blaming, they're simply acting like a business with an inferior product who has a strategic advantage over the two makers — Microsoft's Turn 10 Studios and Sony's Polyphony Digital — of superior ones.

No, Porsche is to blame. Ultimately, Porsche owns the rights to the digital versions of their cars and have always taken the absolutely dumbest position with how they're portrayed. This is why players of Gran Turismo games race RUF vehicles instead of Porches and why Forza 4 players will now be forced to do the same.

If Porsche wanted to repair this situation they easily could. EA may have a sweet deal with the German automaker, but it's costing ze Germans the affection of prospective buyers and ultimately hurting their brand. If, or when, they realize this they can either break the contract with EA or strong-arm them into sub-licensing the cars to both Gran Turismo and Forza.

Porsche loves to claim they're the winningest carmaker in history because a fleet of 911s and Caymans race in what seems like every racing event in the world. But that's a lie. Most people race online, in video game simulators, and increasingly that's going to mean racing in vehicles other than Porches.

We contacted Porsche and asked them to explain their position, but all they've been willing to do so far is confirm they have an agreement with EA.

Porsche doesn't care about video game people / Forza 4Nissan gets why video gamers are important. It's why they're letting digital video game racers compete in real racing events like the 24 Hours of Le Mans (and doing exceptionally well).

There are mostly losers in this kind of agreement. EA loses because they look like a bunch of dicks and gamers lose because they're not getting access to the world class sports cars people actually race. But the biggest loser is Porsche.

Kids logging on to race GT-Rs instead of 911s will grow up wondering why they should spend all that extra money to buy a Porsche when they can buy a car they've already fallen in love with in the digital realm.

Only Turn 10, curiously, looks good in this whole mess. Their recent post about how they'd love to have the cars in the game, and how they want a deal, and how they're fighting for gamers makes them seem like the only party that actually cares.

Link

Megasoum

Banned
To be fair Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and didn't share it for Shift 2 and Hot Pursuit (they had an aggreement for the Shift 1 DLC) so yeah. Sucks that there is no Porsches but Microsoft are not better than EA.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SCHUEY F1 said:
I don't mind Porsche, but I'm thankful it isn't Ferrari or Lambourgini thats not in the game. Of course it would be better if Porsche was there though.
Yup, if Ferrari or Lamborghini, or Aston or any other one of those league of car manufacturers was taken out, I'd be more upset than I am currently that Porsche is not in. That is why currently I am indifferent. The only loss is the 911 GT1.

Okay and all the older 911s.

eek5

Megasoum said:
To be fair Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and didn't share it for Shift 2 and Hot Pursuit (they had an aggreement for the Shift 1 DLC) so yeah. Sucks that there is no Porsches but Microsoft are not better than EA.

Maybe. Maybe not. You're just making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. We don't know the full details of any of the agreements or lack of agreements.

BADNED said:
Ever thought about what sort of NFS games came out after NFS:HP2? The NO came there directly from Ferrari and not from a platform license holder, just for the info.

eek5 said:
Maybe. Maybe not. You're just making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. We don't know the full details of any of the agreements or lack of agreements.

Well... SHIFT 1 had them. What's so different in SHIFT 2 that made Ferrari say no?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
amar212 said:
I do not find lack of Porsche problematic per-se, my *problem* is lack of it because of overall context of the game.

It is pretty much unisone opinion how FM's library of cars achieved with FM3 and including DLC models was the best collection of road and race vehicles in one single AAA title (with exclusion of *specialized* classes).

Not having a Porche in FM4 is much more problematic in light of overall *collection* where Porsche will be missing more as a milestone of overall importance in idustry from both its history, charisma and influence in overall motorsport and road-vehicle segment than as not being able to drive GT3.

that and... the clarkson commentary would have been GOLD!

acm2000

Megasoum said:

"No Porsche in Forza 4, "EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again""

sounds like it was EA's doing, not MS's

LeBoef

Uh uh.. Since all this talk makes me sad i decided to get drunk now (cheers to "free cuba")
the other thing i decided is to take my e92 to the nordschleife over the weekend with some friends.

this is not forza related? Yeah i know, but the last pages here weren't either.

you people should stop blaming ea, porsche, turn10 or anyone else for that crap. Thats business folks.

And that comment about porsche not caring about gamers is ridiculous. Especially when it says "kids grow up with GTRs and wont buy porsche when getting older".
If that would be a point my generation would drive lotus esprits, stunt cars and other wacky wheels... Lol

Porsche and other cars of such a brand are expensive "rare" cars. That, their myth and technique makes them unique. Dont forget the price...
You dont know what porsche marketing wants and you dont know how they see the ea contract. But at least they seem to see a good business partner in ea who doesnt dump porsches out of every hole.

amar212 said:

I was looking forward that FM4 will be the ultimate game for automotive lovers where I will be able to indulge personal lifelong affection towards cars and make them come alive from books and magazines I would compare them with.

This overall industry trend - let's face it, EA did what anybody would do in their position - is hurting the genre. In behalf of all people that actually play their driving games for more than 4 weeks after its release this trend have reached worriing proportions.

basically this. I am not a Porsche fan either (perhaps in no small part to me not ever being able to play them back in my Gran Turismo 1 and 2 days as i formed my currently love for all things Subaru of which i am on my third car) but in the big picture any game that features the pantheon of great sports cars need Porsche to be considered complete.

Best case scenario would be somehow some way either EA or Porsche feels some heat from this. It is all over the internet, even creeping to the Auto press and mainstream tech press. and maybe interested parties get drawn back to make some kind of DLC deal. who knows. It isn't ideal but it would be something. I don't think that will happen, to be sure. but that would be best caser at this point.

so yeah, it sucks. it is a minor blemish in an otherwise incredible package. RUF will fill a slight gap, we will see porsche liveries on the CTRs that will try to make up for the lost GT3RSs, and we will melt our faces with racing goodness from every other manufacturer.

eek5

AlanzTalon said:
Best case scenario would be somehow some way either EA or Porsche feels some heat from this. It is all over the internet, even creeping to the Auto press and mainstream tech press. and maybe interested parties get drawn back to make some kind of DLC deal. who knows. It isn't ideal but it would be something. I don't think that will happen, to be sure. but that would be best caser at this point.
Then we can start hating MS again when they try to charge us 1600 MS points for a 30 car Porsche Pack.. haha!

Jamesways said:
Now hold on a minute. That's not exactly right. DG said that even Porsche was trying to sway EA into working out a sub-license with Turn 10 the last 18 months of negotiations.
no, only that he lobbied to people "inside" Porsche to plead their case. it never said anything about Porsche agreeing with T10 or taking a side.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Would it be awesome if they offered FM 4 as a DD on day one if you make a pre-order from the MS store?

God damn.

eek5 said:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.231083800/search.true

Is there a reason the LCE is $10 cheaper at the MS store? I ended up preordering at Amazon anyway since I had $5 Kindle special offer coupon.

They are not charging for shipping too holy shit! UPS Next Day - $16.99 (order by 10:30 AM Eastern)

Shipping: $0.00
Subtotal: $69.99
Tax: $6.21
Total: $76.20

eek5

Slayer-33 said:
Would it be awesome if they offered FM 4 as a DD on day one if you make a pre-order from the MS store?

God damn.
Hah if there was an option to DD I'd cancel my preorder at Amazon right now! Not having to pop in the Forza disc would be great since I'll probably end up playing F4 longer than any of my future/current games.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
eek5 said:
Hah if there was an option to DD I'd cancel my preorder at Amazon right now! Not having to pop in the Forza disc would be great since I'll probably end up playing F4 longer than any of my future/current games.

The CR-Z is from the MS store if we pre-order?

I'm about to submit the order! lol

eek5

Slayer-33 said:
The CR-Z is from the MS store if we pre-order?

I'm about to submit the order! lol
Yeah CR-Z is MS Store. The only thing with MS Store is I think they charge you right when you order instead of when they ship for preorders

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
eek5 said:
Yeah CR-Z is MS Store. The only thing with MS Store is I think they charge you right when you order instead of when they ship for preorders

Read my post up there I edited lol 1 day shipping free bro!

LE for less than MSRP shipped 1 day with tax and all not a bad deal.

I waited because I wanted same day delivery from Amazon but they haven't thrown it in there.

eek5

Well, mine ended up being 74 with my coupon so close enough :p I'm pretty sure Amazon upgrades most big name games to same day delivery as soon as they get concrete information on the shipments they'll be getting too

Worst case, I think you can just cancel Amazon's preorder before they ship

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
eek5 said:
Well, mine ended up being 74 with my coupon so close enough :p I'm pretty sure Amazon upgrades most big name games to same day delivery as soon as they get concrete information on the shipments they'll be getting too

Not bad :p

I wanted the CR-Z though, this is the perfect opportunity. I would hope they ship the game Monday overnight so I get it the same day.

If not the extra day of waiting will be painful while everyone here enjoys their FM 4 :(

eek5

saladine1

In all of this Porsche debacle, I missed out on the announcement of the BMW M635csi.

n9krV.jpg

Another car I can add to the Australian Touring Car Championship series...

Mascot

Ain't so bad. If I want to race a bunch of Porsches I'll just take FM4 out of the tray and boot up FM3. That way I can race on Maple Valley too.

In your face, EA.

Mascot said:
Ain't so bad. If I want to race a bunch of Porsches I'll just take FM4 out of the tray and boot up FM3. That way I can race on Maple Valley too.

In your face, EA.
Nobody can go back to FM3 after playing FM4.

Mascot

What time today are they revealing the Nürburgring Nordschleife? I can't wait to see if the Nürburgring Nordschleife is in the game or not. I've heard the Nürburgring Nordschleife is a very nice road so I really hope they reveal the Nürburgring Nordschleife today so that we can use the Nürburgring Nordschleife in FM4.

brotkasten said:
Nobody can go back to FM3 after playing FM4.

This is why I am going to try to finish the rest of FM3 races by using as many Porsche cars as possible.

A friend of mine just 1K all Forza 3 acheivements and now throw down a gauntlet after I told him not to be such a wussy and he should finished ME2 on insanity. Not sure what is worst.

Mascot said:
What time today are they revealing the Nürburgring Nordschleife? I can't wait to see if the Nürburgring Nordschleife is in the game or not. I've heard the Nürburgring Nordschleife is a very nice road so I really hope they reveal the Nürburgring Nordschleife today so that we can use the Nürburgring Nordschleife in FM4.

Nürburgring Nordschleife in Forza Motorsport 4? What a surprise!

Top Bottom