• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men Destiny |OT| - A new game with X-Men...oh no, he's not in, play as Aimi Yoshida

The most telling thing is the complete silence from Dyack. If this game had any kind of promise, you know he'd be out in front of it, trying to get some buzz. There has to be some kind of C team explanation.

Showmeyamoves said:
xoh2mt.jpg

I had to because they go so well with each other.
That Wolv-y pic never fails to get a laugh out of me.

Captain N

I don't understand why everyone is allowed to come in here and bash the game. I can understand if they played it, but most of the people have yet to have played it. Just lots of SK hate. Silly. Get it out of this thread.

Captain N said:
I don't understand why everyone is allowed to come in here and bash the game. I can understand if they played it, but most of the people have yet to have played it. Just lots of SK hate. Silly. Get it out of this thread.
I played a whole hour of Too Human, and I endorse SK hate threads.

Nairume

Banned
Captain N said:
This is one of the hallmarks of the entire gaming community. But hearing the impressions, seeing the screens, and watching the footage is probably going to be enough to convince people that it is a bad game (and it is).

Of course, I've been playing the game, so I'm free to hate on it all I want :D

GamesRadar Review said:
There are even times where the lack of polish bleeds into the game’s custscenes and makes the story harder to follow. Certain animations are missing entirely, and we were sometimes confused by what characters were talking about as they stood motionless and described things we couldn’t see. Other times they’d talk over each other, making important plot details hard to follow. We were eventually able to figure it out, but it took us out of the moment and represents a level of shoddiness that shouldn’t exist in modern games.
Anyone seen this yet?

Kifimbo

Captain N said:

People are mostly bashing what they are seeing. Which is videos and screens. We are also experienced enough to know a licenced game (a huge licence) with little promotion is probably a bad game. See Captain America, Thor, both Iron Man, etc.

MG310

Lactose_Intolerant said:
Anyone seen this yet?

Yes, there's a cutscene with Gambit where you bring him a package. Its sitting on the table in front of him and he goes "let me see what you brought me" then he immediately acts as if it has been opened even though its still sitting there closed.

Also saw Emma Frost get stuck on geometry and stutter through an opening in a fence in one of the early cutscenes.

MG310 said:
Yes, there's a cutscene with Gambit where you bring him a package. Its sitting on the table in front of him and he goes "let me see what you brought me" then he immediately acts as if it has been opened even though its still sitting there closed.

Also saw Emma Frost get stuck on geometry and stutter through an opening in a fence in one of the early cutscenes.
Ok, now I'm thinking of renting it again, love playing alphas.

MG310

Another fun glitch - when you die after the screen fades apparently you get back up because you can still hear yourself fighting until it loads the load screen.

MG310 said:
Another fun glitch - when you die after the screen fades apparently you get back up because you can still hear yourself fighting until it loads the load screen.
Could they fix such massive problems with a patch? if so I'll have to make sure to play off line.

Xander51

Well, I just finished the game and I did every challenge mission I could along the way. Took me about 5 hours in total. I enjoyed Nolan North as Cyclops, I really liked customizing my powers, and the text that pops up in the playfield is a neat effect.

This is an average action game and if you want an X-men beat-em-up you'd probably do just as well buying the arcade game for 15 bucks on XBLA. That said, it's fun if you like this sort of game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good lord. This game looks terrible and boring. It's so sad. I'd love a decent X-Men RPG.

MG310

Oh jeez... (I hate to keep making a bunch of quick posts like this) but...

Okay so it goes...

Cutscene

Boss Fight

Cutscene

Challenge Room - These are sections where you can fail but the story will keep going. I get killed here and the game starts up the next sequence and lets me run forward a bit, then a save triggers and the loading screen comes up. It dumps me back at the start of that sequence. The 2nd time it didn't do this. Also the Purifiers in the post challenge room are all piled together and twitching in place.

Then - once I beat all of those enemies I notice that the NPC with me is trapped behind one of the electric barriers that blocks you in with the enemies - had to quit out to the menu and reload. Thankfully it loaded back up to the room I was trapped in though with the NPC on the right side of the wall this time.

EDIT - Now that I finished that room another cutscene started and the system locked up. No XMB or anything. Great job SK.

Now it keeps happening - I believe its trying to load up a Colossus model in the custscene and its not happening. I can hear him talk and Surge is having a conversation with him but he doesn't appear. Then the system hard locks. I'm going to try again and take a video of it. Kept happening after deleting/reinstalling the game data..so...guess this is how X-Men Destiny ends for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOtEVKvo6Q

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MG310 said:
Oh jeez... (I hate to keep making a bunch of quick posts like this) but...

Okay so it goes...

Cutscene

Boss Fight

Cutscene

Challenge Room - These are sections where you can fail but the story will keep going. I get killed here and the game starts up the next sequence and lets me run forward a bit, then a save triggers and the loading screen comes up. It dumps me back at the start of that sequence. The 2nd time it didn't do this. Also the Purifiers in the post challenge room are all piled together and twitching in place.

Then - once I beat all of those enemies I notice that the NPC with me is trapped behind one of the electric barriers that blocks you in with the enemies - had to quit out to the menu and reload. Thankfully it loaded back up to the room I was trapped in though with the NPC on the right side of the wall this time.

EDIT - Now that I finished that room another cutscene started and the system locked up. No XMB or anything. Great job SK.

Now it keeps happening - I believe its trying to load up a Colossus model in the custscene and its not happening. I can hear him talk and Surge is having a conversation with him but he doesn't appear. Then the system hard locks. I'm going to try again and take a video of it. Kept happening after deleting/reinstalling the game data..so...guess this is how X-Men Destiny ends for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOtEVKvo6Q
But now you can start everything over from the start!!

Nairume said:
Here's more shots of the Wii version. Still phone cam pics.

24gyv.jpg

lEufQ.jpg

oBVV0.jpg

kGlAW.jpg

CxHPn.jpg

I think I've officially uploaded more media of this version than Activision has.

Really? They have an apparent link/connection to Marvel Comics for this game, and they couldn't get an actual comic book artist to draw the art instead of some guy that apparently illustrates coloring books for a living?

Man, I wasn't expecting much from this game, but some of this is just embarrassing. All these studios closing left and right and somehow SK stays open? They've made 2 games in like 7 years and they both apparently suck. Either they are solely surviving on that Canadian welfare check, or they got some sweet ass deal from MS for Too Human exclusivity.

Korigama

Well, I like the design for that Aimi girl, and the shadow powers shown off in the vid posted earlier seemed to suit her. Otherwise...I don't have much positive to say. The two male leads are bland and completely forgettable (the girl is the only reason I remembered this game at all before reading this thread), and there's no excuse for N64-level environmental textures showing up in the final product.

MG310

Sucks...game is really not that good but I was looking forward to seeing how they used the rest of the cast - especially since they used a fair amount of the New X-Men kids so far.

Zen

Banned
Captain N said:

People aren't saying that the gameplay is shit (unless they've played it), everyone has the right to call a spade a spade.

Besides it's not very often that Neogaf has the chance to shit on the game of the man that publicly mussed about trying to have us shut down, and have his game be crap.

*because SK video games only come out every few years, otherwise this might be a weekly thing.

Xander51

Dying 100 times in the game would be extraordinarily difficult. I made it through on normal dying about 4 times, and now I'm playing on the hardest difficulty on my new game plus and it's super-easy. Sucks that it's a zero point achievement, funny that it's in there though.

Nairume

Banned
Xander51 said:
Dying 100 times in the game would be extraordinarily difficult. I made it through on normal dying about 4 times, and now I'm playing on the hardest difficulty on my new game plus and it's super-easy. Sucks that it's a zero point achievement, funny that it's in there though.
There are parts in the Wii version that are actually kind of cheap and you can get killed pretty quickly if you fuck up.

Kifimbo said:
People are mostly bashing what they are seeing. Which is videos and screens. We are also experienced enough to know a licenced game (a huge licence) with little promotion is probably a bad game. See Captain America, Thor, both Iron Man, etc.

Captain America was a pretty good game. Sure it cribbed so much from Arkham Asylum, but for what it was it was fun and well put together.

Commercials for this are great. Showed two during daily show and colbert report. Start off showing you actual x-men, then cuts to your generic as fuck looking actual characters. Also like the end of commercial reminding you there is a new spider-man game coming. Good way to save on advertising two upcoming shitty games, one commercial for both.

eek5

Just started playing. So good!

xmen01.png

xmen02.png

xmen03.png

xmen04.png

xmen05.png

xmen06.png

xmen07.png

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN-WKZFaLaI

some awesome pathing going on here lol

edit2:

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
i593l0.jpg

This is the 360 version, not the PSP version.
I am amazed any publisher works with SK any more, its not like they push game play and player choice so far that its somewhat understandable that their games look like they are running on broken hardware.

found this spot
textures2.png

DrBo42 said:
Someone get a screengrab of the "Things look so bad everywhere" achievement. Needs to be the first thing people see in this thread. Never agreed with an achievement title more.

thingslooksobad.png

Some gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sy8zlai94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YQR12lioNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YQR12lioNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeBGQEuY96Y (boss fight, spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNGVA_XTN18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw3oNnJPlbw (boss fight, spoilers)

Zenith

Banned
People should have known this was going to be a bad game when their expertly crafted reveal trailer consisted of zooming in on people's armpits.

Mideon

The texture loading must be from a copied DVD or something as the textures clearly do not look like that on the retail copy, while they still dont look amazing when they are loaded, that youtube screen grab is misinformation and I like alot of people feel that people slating the game based on a youtube screen grab is pretty crazy.

SykoTech

Captain N said:

There is no rule that one has to play a game to form an opinion about the way it looks. If the game looks like crap (which it does) then people are free to express that belief. Just like people who praise a game that looks/sounds good even though they haven't played it yet. Nobody's going to ban opinions from the thread just because they make you feel uncomfortable.

Shiggy

X-Men Destiny is five hours long because someone wanted a line item in a fall release schedule and didn't want to wait to finish it. It's a careless, cynical, opportunistic mess that Silicon Knights and Activision should be ashamed to release. In fact, its concision almost comes back around to being a virtue, because at least you can quickly move onto something more pleasurable, like selling X-Men Destiny to a stupid friend you hate, or burying a beloved family pet.

In years past, Silicon Knights boss Denis Dyack has railed against critics writing "previews" that feel more like reviews of what's still a half-finished product. How ironic that his company and Activision have just forced me to do exactly that.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/28/x-men-destiny-review/
3/10

Xater

Wow that is harsh, but it seems totally warranted from what we have seen of this. Can't say I am surprised.

eek5

The game isn't great but it is playable. I wouldn't pay $60 for it but as a 2 day rental it isn't bad. Building up your character, finding powers, etc. is pretty decent. The combat isn't bad. My main gripes are unskippable cutscenes (even in new game+) and sometimes the camera goes very wrong. It's like we've gone back a generation in terms of how to work with 3rd person cameras.

Anyway I'd probably give it a 7/10 as a rental. 3/10 as a $60 purchase.

It took me 3.5 hrs to beat it on the default difficulty lol D:

Nairume

Banned
Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
People complaining about the writing in a comic book game is like complaining about corn syrup at a Chinese restaurant.
There's a big difference between bad licensed comic game writing and

"Wolverine went berserk and cut dudes"
"I do not believe this. Wolverine is level headed and would never go berserk and cut dudes. He must be being mind controlled"
"Yeah, that makes sense."

Don't like the random main characters they made up. Why can you not play as the xmen in an xmen game? I think that bothers me too much to get any hype but apparently it's terrible anyhow.

Cmagus

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Don't like the random main characters they made up. Why can you not play as the xmen in an xmen game? I think that bothers me too much to get any hype but apparently it's terrible anyhow.

At the very least they should have allowed you to create your own hero.It would have been better if they had the three story scenarios that you could have chosen from with your own character.

DavieC726

Just played this game last night for about 2 hours. I couldn't get into it. Graphics are early XBOX360 quality at best, you are forced to play with 1 of 3 random creations, gameplay is very repetitive. It felt very sluggish as well, taking quite some time to do an attack while enemies would come at you faster. Overall it just feels like a careless unfinished product that just wanted to be dropped in the fall.

Cmagus said:
At the very least they should have allowed you to create your own hero.It would have been better if they had the three story scenarios that you could have chosen from with your own character.

Ya, if they had you design one and were part of the academy or whatever it would be a lot better. I still wish there were more games where I could play as gambit though. :(

Thank god that's over. By the time I reached the sentinel battle I was so annoyed, bored, and pissed off that I switched this shit to easy to be done with it.

So will this game be the end of Silicon Knights?

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
i593l0.jpg

This is the 360 version, not the PSP version.
I am amazed any publisher works with SK any more, its not like they push game play and player choice so far that its somewhat understandable that their games look like they are running on broken hardware.
General Shank-a-snatch said:
7MKF7.png

EXbRR.png

UE3 confirmed?

Top Bottom