• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land videos

Rlan

Honestly never thought of the Raccoon / Tanooki leaf being something from a tree, but it makes sense.

Weird to think that Tanooki Madness is taking over the kingdom.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm starting to get into this game's premise. It's like what if you took the 2D Mario style of game design and added a 3rd plane of movement to it. Can't wait for this.

chara05.png

Update from the Jap Site

There is a bullet bill with a Tanooki tail?

Hahahah love the art on that postcard, thats bloody nostalgia right there.

The assist video is a bit ... it's cool that the p-wing is back, but that function seems kinda lame.

Mistle

Pumped for this. I admit it does look a step down from Galaxy but I have no doubt the team have made an amazing game.

Plus a full on Mario game on the 3DS is exactly what I need.

AniHawk

this is actually like number 3 on my late-2011 platformer list right now.

4 if you include both versions of sonic generations.

there are only five slots

[Nintex]

AniHawk said:
this is actually like number 3 on my late-2011 platformer list right now.

4 if you include both versions of sonic generations.

there are only five slots
I'm going to take a wild guess on your list:

1. Rayman Origins
2. Sonic Generations
3. Super Mario 3D Land

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Building a Mario game around an item (or at least hyping it that way) is a stupid idea. Especially when said item isn't nearly as cool as the original. Can't fly? Can't turn into a statue? This is basically Mario Galaxy's spin attack with Yoshi's floating jump. Boring.

Putting tails on every tree and enemy is even more stupid.

I see they've brought back the P wing too. Except now it's just a level skip item.

Why do they have to make every awesome SMB3 item into boring items that don't even make sense (again racoon Bullet Bills)?

It's like they believe everyone will jump on it based on nostalgia for SMB3. Hint: what made SMB3 awesome wasn't the tanooki suit. It was the whole freaking game, of which tanooki suit was a tiny part. The real tanooki suit, I mean. This new tanooki suit just sucks.

.la1n

I hope you can get the P Wing as a non assist and use it to find hidden areas. If it's just a teleport only deal then pretty useless. The graphics look okay but I expected more effort after galaxy, probably one of those deals where it needs to be seen in person / 3D.

edit: I had no idea you can't even fly with the tanooki suit, lolwat?

RedSwirl

God fucking damnint Nintendo.

I usually never pass up a system because of hardware or some shit like that, always focusing on the games, but that slip-up with the 2nd analog stick that I know you're gonna have in the next model is making it really hard for me to justify buying the current model. GAWD!

What do you Nintendo haters usually do when one Nintendo game comes out that you just have to play and you just want to have the system on you temporarily?

JazzmanZ

I noticed a stone Luigi in the back beside the thwomp thing on the main site :0

Also great to see classic Mario art again after none for so long since Super mario world box art.

Celine

Kilrogg said:
Building a Mario game around an item (or at least hyping it that way) is a stupid idea. Especially when said item isn't nearly as cool as the original. Can't fly? Can't turn into a statue? This is basically Mario Galaxy's spin attack with Yoshi's floating jump. Boring.
But does turning in a stone or flying benefit the game design ?

In particular flying would destroy any challenge or even the base of a more free 3 dimensional game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RedSwirl said:
What do you Nintendo haters usually do when one Nintendo game comes out that you just have to play and you just want to have the system on you temporarily?
Nintendo haters by definition don't but Nintendo systems. If they did they would soon stop being haters.

Lijik

These small bits of footage and recent screenshots have me way more excited for the game than the E3 demo levels did
I'm on board this hype-airship.

Grinchy

Banned
I really like the look of it, and I bet it would be awesome in 3D. I don't really love that music though.

Berordn

Grinchy said:
I don't really love that music though.
Agreed, it sounds like the worst parts of SM64 and NSMB's overworld themes with bad instrumentation. Hopefully they have new mix of the ghost house theme though, that'd make up for everything.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Celine said:
But does turning in a stone or flying benefit the game design ?

In particular flying would destroy any challenge or even the base of a more free 3 dimensional game.

I'm not worried about what benefits the game design. I'm worried about what benefits the player. Turning into stone was just a bonus that made the item even cooler, but flying could be implemented. I agree with you that it would be more difficult to put in a 3D game, but that's not my problem. This Tanooki suit might be safe and work without a hitch in a 3D game, but it's boring.

Nintendo is bringing back a beloved item and has heavily marketed the game as the one that brought back said item. From on-stage presentations to the very game's logo, the game seems to be all about the fabled tanooki suit. Yet, the tanooki suit is nothing like the original item. It lost its best feature (flight) and its only unique aspect compared to the racoon tail (turning into stone). The tanooki suit isn't even as good as the racoon tail now, and that was supposed to be inferior.

Top Bottom