• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP-- Super Mario Bros. 1 Remake

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
As someone who has been playing games for years and loves Mario, I realized that I never finished the first Mario game. So, I decided to open up 'Super Mario All-Stars' and give it a go. Expecting to see that ugly Mario from my childhood, I was shocked to be greeted by a modern Mario look – it was a remake of the original game! I'm only discovering this now in 2023, despite playing 'Super Mario World' and "Mario Bros 3" from within the All-Stars collection for years.

With joy from the updated graphics (though the same thing can't be said for the music), I sat down to play, and within 1-2 hours (maybe with a bit of save spamming), I managed to accomplish what I couldn't as a child. However, I struggled quite a bit in worlds 7 and 8. I hadn't even made it there as a kid!

What a perfect game, even in 2023!

I always remembered Nintendo for making challenging games when I was young, but I can't say the same for the recent games I've played. Anyway, that's a different discussion. Now, onto the 'Lost Levels' next! It's said to be even harder. Bring it on, Nintendo!

Here is a comparison video:

SpiceRacz

Definitely a steeper challenge compared to the more recent 2d Mario games. I beat the All Stars version of Mario 2 The Lost Levels recently and loved it. I think a big part of that is actually due to the difficulty.

Still a very good game. By the way the whole game (Super Mario Bros, NES) has being remade on Dreams, and it works almost as perfectly as the original. There are others Mario remakes, but this one is the best IMO. It's not a demo, all the 8 levels are there!

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Although I grew up playing and finishing Mario 1 many times I think the All Star Version was the first time I did it without warps. I also did the same with Lost Levels. That was such a great game

BlackTron

When I first discovered All-Stars I thought it was the ideal definitive version Mario cart. But, for some reason, even as I kid it gave me an other-wordly feeling to play the new versions and I've preferred the originals ever since. The SMB1 remake is fine, but I can only play the NES version of 3.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Although I grew up playing and finishing Mario 1 many times I think the All Star Version was the first time I did it without warps. I also did the same with Lost Levels. That was such a great game
First time hearing this lol.

Modern Mario, 30 year old remake lol.

:) Yeah but it has aged like wine. It looks better than many new 2D indie games, even more charming than the new 2d Mario games.

Top Bottom