• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 New Gameplay Videos and Pre-release impressions

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Uncharted 2 came from nowhere to be in my top 5 games of all time. I would not be surprised for U3 to knock it out of my top 5 and replace it.

Needless to say I am hyped.

Radec

iNvidious01 said:
they'll hit 98% and be on par with gta iv.

yup

A game should surpass GTA:IV's 98% for this gen to become decent.

Would have been awful if the highest rated game this gen is "just" GTA:IV.

I doubt UC3 will surpass UC2 though (Score-wise).

Critics will probably deduct a point because "it has been done already" or "lack of originality" and still gives MW3 a 10 with a trollface.

The Lamp

It will not surpass Uncharted 2's Metacritic rating, that's easy to see.
Gaming review media likes to rate sequels lower than their predecessors, even if they're better, just because they don't do something radically different from the first two (IGN anyone?). Yes a lot of sources rated Uncharted 2 higher than Uncharted 1, but I don't see that happening again this time because places like IGN and Gametrailers will be like "IT FEELS LIKE THE OTHER TWO GAMES JUST IN THE SAND, 8.5"

Grisby

iNvidious01 said:
Uncharted is one series where i wouldn't mind if it was over 10 hours, every minute is worth something

Nah, I think the lengths are perfect. After recently replaying 2 I was getting a bit bored of the enemy clown car encounters.

I'm glad 3 is the same length.

Sn4ke_911 said:
The question is, will it surpass this?

whoa, 105 critic reviews, all of them positive, and the last and second last score is 80 and 89? that's a really high bar to beat.

edit: even the highest rated GTA4 only had 64 critic reviews, and it should be harder to get higher score with more reviews count

iratA

The Lamp said:
Gaming review media likes to rate sequels lower than their predecessors, even if they're better, just because they don't do something radically different from the first two (IGN anyone?). Yes a lot of sources rated Uncharted 2 higher than Uncharted 1, but I don't see that happening again this time because places like IGN and Gametrailers will be like "IT FEELS LIKE THE OTHER TWO GAMES JUST IN THE SAND, 8.5"

LOL! Ummm no. This series has continued to push the bar in several areas; visuals, animations, storytelling etc. The amazing scores for Uncharted 2 were well deserved when we all saw how far they came from Uncharted DF.

Everything we've seen from ND on this follow up, looks like it will out do everything from the second game. Like most, I'm expecting big scores.

The Lamp said:

expectation will be higher, now it's up to ND if they can surpass expectation. it will be though I'm sure, had U3 be another jungle/urban environment again, it's more likely getting lower score since we've seen these kind of environment before. changing the environment to desert is actually smart. ND have opportunity to show you things you've never seen before or at least done nothing like this before in any other game.

The Lamp

iratA said:
LOL! Ummm no. This series has continued to push the bar in several areas; visuals, animations, storytelling etc. The amazing scores for Uncharted 2 were well deserved when we all saw how far they came from Uncharted DF.

Everything we've seen from ND on this follow up, looks like it will out do everything from the second game. Like most, I'm expecting big scores.

Obviously I agree with you, I'm just saying that it probably won't beat U2's metacritic because critics tend to lower and lower their score for sequels, even if they're better, just because they like to excuse it under "too much of the same."

I think the new environment is absolutely fresh and breathtaking, but some media outlets will drone that it's not enough.

The Lamp said:
Obviously I agree with you, I'm just saying that it probably won't beat U2's metacritic because critics tend to lower and lower their score for sequels, even if they're better, just because they like to excuse it under "too much of the same."

I think the new environment is absolutely fresh and breathtaking, but some media outlets will drone that it's not enough.

I think it'll depend on the ending. if it has that 'feel good' ending Uncharted 2 have it may leave stronger impression for reviewers. :D

The Lamp said:

U2 was a sequel, yanno.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
iratA said:

He was making a point...

Based on the algorithms of life that govern the videogame landscape(what?) I don't believe it's possible for UC3 to surpass 2. Reviewers seem to never score the 3rd entry as well as the second.

For instance both Gears 3 and R3 are significantly better than the sequels they follow but neither reflect that fact in the reviews. Why? I don't know. Maybe the industry as a whole decides it doesn't want another sequel and rails against it. Although the MW series has avoided this by throwing money at the problem. Which is a good strat.....What am I talking about? Am I posting this on gamefaqs?

Pranay

BruceLeeRoy said:
Based on the algorithms of life that govern the videogame landscape(what?) I don't believe it's possible for UC3 to surpass 2. Reviewers seem to never score the 3rd entry as well as the second.

For instance both Gears 3 and R3 are significantly better than the sequels they follow but neither reflect that fact in the reviews. Why? I don't know. Maybe the industry as a whole decides it doesn't want another sequel and rails against it. Although the MW series has avoided this by throwing money at the problem. Which is a good strat.....What am I talking about? Am I posting this on gamefaqs?

o_o

thuway

To be fair to Gametrailers,

I think Geoff Keighley (I know he doesn't do the reviews) has been vocal about his love for the Uncharted franchise.

The dude might be high all the time, but damn, he knows where to show respect.

Yamibito

Gully State said:
If that's the case, this is probably no longer a day one for me...Wasn't a fan of UC2's multiplayer and it's shaping up to be the same for UC3.
Did you even bother to play UC2's single-player then?

Yamibito

nib95 said:
Same play time as U2, which took me 10-11 hours first time as I could help but constantly stop and stare.
Plus, it's probably going to be just as replayable as the second entry in the series.

I played through U2 3 times in 10 days when it was first released. Normal->Hard->Crushing. One of the most replayable games i've ever had the pelasure of playing. The linear (with a massive exponential twist for the final chapter on crushing >_>) increase kept it very fresh too!

Have no doubts i'll be attempted to platinum this within a week :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Radec said:
A game should surpass GTA:IV's 98% for this gen to become decent.

Would have been awful if the highest rated game this gen is "just" GTA:IV.

I doubt UC3 will surpass UC2 though (Score-wise).

Critics will probably deduct a point because "it has been done already" or "lack of originality" and still gives MW3 a 10 with a trollface.

UC2's 96 is probably statistically equal (that is, within the margin of error) of GTAIV's 98, so it's not really worthwhile to get hung up on a few points of difference in the top 10% of the scale.

I completely agree that even if sequels get better, they are contending with the players'/reviewers' habituation to big impressive moments. It will be hard for UC3 to make a strong subjective impression that is proportional to the "objective" improvements that have been made. In hindsight, some reviewers may even think they overrated UC2 as a result of the hype and make a conscious decision to try to avoid doing that again with UC3. There are just a lot of factors that have nothing to do with the game's "objective quality" that will be pushing scores slightly downward.

And lastly, from a purely statistical standpoint, it's highly improbable that it will score better than UC2. And again, even if it did, it probably wouldn't be statistically different from 96.

So when UC3 scores a bit lower than UC2 despite you (the general you) being absolutely sure it's the better game in every way, you needn't waste your time complaining about it.

Pranay

Gully State said:
Yup...great game ...loved the first one too but no way am I paying $60 for a 9 hour singleplayer campaign..

That just one guy stats

it maybe 12 for some other guy @_@

Pranay_ said:
This year Resistance 3 and InFamous 2 deserved to be rated better.

i personally had more fun with infamous 1- the graphics in 2 might be phenomenally better but the game felt like more of the same and didn't really blow my mind like game 1 did. Still enjoyable enough to finish both good+evil once but I wouldn't go back.

BruceLeeRoy said:

How is that OT coming along Bruce?

Pranay

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ha probably a lot better if I wasn't spending time pontificating on the review industry's treatment of sequels.

I am looking forward to your op =) After seeing your mgs ones, i hope you can make it as good as that one =)

Kerub

Banned
When does review embargoes usually lift on big games like this one?

Soo curious to see how it scores.

Thanks.

Pranay

Kerub said:
When does review embargoes usually lift on big games like this one?

Soo curious to see how it scores.

Thanks.

A week i presume.

Most have finished the game i think.

Nathan from gameradar feels thats this is the best game released this year and easily top 3 in this generation and best in the series.

Waiting for the reviews =)

thuway

I really hope to see a swarm of 10 out of 10s. Fucking GTA IV does not deserve to be the best game this generation.

This game, Mass Effect, God of War 3, and Red Dead have defined this gen for me.

kvn

I'm really curious about the music in SP. MP beta and the ongoing subway promotion MP leave me with mixed feelings.

The media being released has been very limited so far regarding this game. They may have added a new mode or something entirely new and we wouldn't know it until reviews start pouring in. I wish they'd do something like RE4 and RE5 where you can unlock action figures. Something as simple as that would please me.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
thuway said:
I really hope to see a swarm of 10 out of 10s. Fucking GTA IV does not deserve to be the best game this generation.

This game, Mass Effect, God of War 3, and Red Dead have defined this gen for me.

UC2 got a swarm of 10 out of 10s. There is almost no chance any game will beat a 98.

And it doesn't matter. A 100 wouldn't be statistically different from a 98, and a 96 isn't either.

If you're going to take metacritic seriously, you have to understand what it really means for one game to be a 96 and one to be a 98. (It means very little.)

ThisWreckage said:
The media being released has been very limited so far regarding this game. They may have added a new mode or something entirely new and we wouldn't know it until reviews start pouring in. I wish they'd do something like RE4 and RE5 where you can unlock action figures. Something as simple as that would please me.

A lot of people have said the opposite; they've shown several segments of the game that appear to be big setpieces. Maybe there are a ton more, who knows, but I think we've seen enough of the campaign. We can always dream of a new mode, but there's only so much one dev team can do.

I think it would be presumptuous to assume that they've shown their hand already. I'm pretty positive the train section was not shown to the media before Uncharted 2 was released.

Luthos

The length of the campaign doesn't mean as much to a Uncharted game, for me anyway. I've replayed Uncharted 2's SP more than any other current gen game. Hell I haven't replayed any SP this much since the day of short 2D games.

So 9 hours will turn into much more when I replay this campaign multiple times.

Irish

ThisWreckage said:
I think it would be presumptuous to assume that they've shown their hand already. I'm pretty positive the train section was not shown to the media before Uncharted 2 was released.

It was. Of course, only a small bit of it was shown. The part where you fight the helicopter.

Irish said:
It was. Of course, only a small bit of it was shown. The part where you fight the helicopter.

Yeah, but to me that doesn't even count. That was one of the least remarkable things about that section, in my opinion.

Top Bottom