• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy refuses to live as male; parents seek help of therapists, opt for delayed puberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurs

This is tricky.

I'm all for people being who they want (or even need) to be, but that is such a young age to make a life-changing decision like that.

That said, it's obviously not my place to tell the parents and child what to do in this situation.

Zaptruder

Banned
Shurs said:
This is tricky.

I'm all for people being who they want (or even need) to be, but that is such a young age to make a life-changing decision like that.

That said, it's obviously not my place to tell the parents and child what to do in this situation.

It *is* such a young age to make such a life changing decision. The parents, the kid and all the professionals agreed.

So they sought to give the kid more time to make the decision through the none-permanent process of chemically delaying the onset of puberty.

I understand where the knee jerk crowd is coming from... they're operating on some pretty standard heuristics.

Chemicals = bad
Screwing around with natural development = bad
ergo, using chemicals to screw around with natural development is double bad.

Of course those ideas are also conflated with subconcious negative associations with lesbians and transgendered issues...

But if we are to rationally assess the situation, as you would do when you are faced with the issue first hand and have time to make a decision; of the available options; forcing gender reassignment before puberty to allow for the best long term physical outcome, but also before the child had fully resolved the issue; letting the child deal with it naturally, letting the issue become double complicated with the presence of physique changing hormones which would result in a poor long term physical outcome, or giving the child additional time to resolve the gender issue naturally, by chemically delaying the onset of puberty - the best choice in the immediate and long term interest of the child was chosen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm confused/curious about the 'delaying puberty' thing. Wouldn't the onset of puberty and the hormonal changes that includes, have at least some affect on how your sexual identity is formed? Or at least magnify what is already there to help you understand it? I guess its wobbly ground as I don't fully understand it, plus gender isn't the same as sexual orientation (could want to be a girl but end up a lesbian for example)

Rain_ng

Banned
Wow SMH in the first few pages.

I hope things work out for the Child, he clearly has two very loving parents who care alot about him :)

Side point: Is this the most bannings in one thread in Gaf history?

Zaptruder

Banned
mrklaw said:
I'm confused/curious about the 'delaying puberty' thing. Wouldn't the onset of puberty and the hormonal changes that includes, have at least some affect on how your sexual identity is formed? Or at least magnify what is already there to help you understand it? I guess its wobbly ground as I don't fully understand it, plus gender isn't the same as sexual orientation (could want to be a girl but end up a lesbian for example)

Yes it would; but hormones don't guarantee sexual identity.

It would be one of the two worse case scenarios for the child; where puberty takes hold before they resolve the issue - causing additional gender identity conflicts, and only in adult life do they resolve the issue; deciding to live out their lives as a woman, and having to undergo only partially effective hormone therapy and gender reassignment surgery.

The best case scenario is - the child resolves his/her gender identity before the onset of puberty and undergo the relevant hormone/SRS so that when they do become adults, that their bodies are most congruent with their identified gender.

Either you could hope that they sought it out before the natural onset of puberty, or you could be understanding and rational parents and allow the child more time to resolve their issues through the options available to you.

Shurs

Zaptruder said:
But if we are to rationally assess the situation, as you would do when you are faced with the issue first hand and have time to make a decision; of the available options; forcing gender reassignment before puberty to allow for the best long term physical outcome, but also before the child had fully resolved the issue; letting the child deal with it naturally, letting the issue become double complicated with the presence of physique changing hormones which would result in a poor long term physical outcome, or giving the child additional time to resolve the gender issue naturally, by chemically delaying the onset of puberty - the best choice in the immediate and long term interest of the child was chosen.

Well said.

JGS

Banned
Read the article (Have no idea why people are banned since I don't look back on a big thread. Hopefully it wasn't because they agreed with a lot of the experts in the article. Quite frankly, the title still appears misleading).

Couldn't care less whether the parents forced it or the kid wants it, the parents should wait. Spend the time and effort helping the kid to come to terms with what they feel so that the child will feel more comfortable when they make the supposedly obvious choice at adulthood.

Dead Man

JGS said:
Read the article (Have no idea why people are banned since I don't look back on a big thread. Hopefully it wasn't because they agreed with a lot of the experts in the article. Quite frankly, the title still appears misleading).

Couldn't care less whether the parents forced it or the kid wants it, the parents should wait. Spend the time and effort helping the kid to come to terms with what they feel so that the child will feel more comfortable when they make the supposedly obvious choice at adulthood.
So... you haven't read the thread. Cool.

Valygar

I understand why the medics recommended the hormone block to delay puberty, but it still feels weird to me. I didn't feel "like a man" (nor a woman) until puberty happened, before that I was just a child.

But well, I agree with the worst case scenario (he decides to trasgender, but puberty already happened, so it's more troublesome). If they think the most likely outcome is the trasgender, it's reasonable.

But what would happen if he reconsiders at 15 and wants to remain male? Would he be a bit androgynous in the future (along with more side effects), or would he grow up as normal?

JGS

Banned
Dead Man said:
So... you haven't read the thread. Cool.
Nope, but read the article though which would seem paramount.

If there are other links to more info, I'll search, but searching through arguments is kind of pointless when the article makes a pretty solid case for why this is controversial.

The thread title gives off the impression it's not that big of a deal. Whether one is for or against it, it's a big deal.

Kurdel

Banned
Coming back to this thread, I am glad to see some bannings.

Whether you agree with the hormone blocking or not, calling out the parents for their sexual orientation or making ingnorant statements about dissasociative identity disorder is just wrong.

We already had a Trans Gaf thread, and that didn't educate people enough. Hopefully this thread will serve as a warning.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bill gonorrhea said:
alg_herman_cain_washington.jpg

"See, you can choose to be gay"

damn, this face!

Mother of god, this thread! I knew immediately this would be the source of all the bans.

I remember saying out loud "not touching this with a 10 foot pole" yesterday when I read the original thread title. Because, admittedly, my first post would've been something sarcastic along the lines of "gives these two the parents of the year award!".

Props to the people (Smokey_Dave, Stumpokapow, sangreal, ...) on the first few pages who said to look beyond the shitty thread title, biased story and gut reactions, and get the whole story first. And props to the people that stuck around (Gaborn, water_wendi...) to try and keep the ignorance ratio in this thread on a low level.

Zaptruder said:
It *is* such a young age to make such a life changing decision. The parents, the kid and all the professionals agreed.

So they sought to give the kid more time to make the decision through the none-permanent process of chemically delaying the onset of puberty.

I understand where the knee jerk crowd is coming from... they're operating on some pretty standard heuristics.

Chemicals = bad

Of course those ideas are also conflated with subconcious negative associations with lesbians and transgendered issues...

THIS.

I don't know how many times it has been explained in this thread, but please read this post regarding the hormone blocking and its implications.

JoeBoy101

Green Scar said:
This is why I only discuss trivialities on the Internet

Solo was right, lol

I've found this to be the wisest forum posting strategy. At least, for longetivity's sake.

That and people on the Internet don't want to consider positions, just argue. So why bother?

For a quick on topic: One thing to bear in mind with this whole discussion is that its been shown that puberty for children is getting lower and lower in age for the onset.

Source

LA Times said:
According to the paper, which appears in the journal Pediatrics, almost 25% of African American girls have reached a stage of breast development marking the onset of puberty by age 7, as had almost 15% of Latina girls and more than 10% of white girls.

Those percentages are significantly higher than in 1997, when a landmark study first reported that girls were beginning puberty much younger than they had in the mid-20th century. In that study, the rate of girls who had begun puberty at age 7 was, on average, 5% for whites, compared with 10.4% in the new study.

Further source, with a focus on the voice of boys as an indicator of puberty

Economist said:
The last 200 years have seen a big drop in the age of puberty in the West. In the Leipzig choir directed by J.S. Bach in the 1700s, the average age of voice break, a late marker of male puberty, was around 18. Between the mid-19th and mid-20th century, the average age for girls having their first period in America and northern Europe dropped from 17 to under 14.

Something to consider in talking about delaying the onset of puberty.

red731

this threads history:

*enters in the morning
lol, no *goes away
*enters now
feels like safebattle zone, for people who actualy want to have a discussion

girls usually get puberty almost always a few years before boys so I don't know how the hormonal system would work if the delay is artificial (medicated).

PooBone

Sutton Dagger said:
THIS.

I don't know how many times it has been explained in this thread, but please read this post regarding the hormone blocking and its implications.
Yeah but it's fox news, so it's spun as "gay parents = bad parents."

I can't judge the parents, the doctors or the kid because I have no idea what it would be like to go through this. It's a very unique situation that has to be really hard on an 11 year old.

Carcetti

This kind of situation must be very difficult for a parent. On the other hand using chemicals to delay natural development is somewhat scary, as human body is a complicated machine. On the other hand the forced delay could lead to much happier life for the child. It comes down to the parent in the end, as a child of 11 can't really make good judgment calls no matter how they want to. They're just not equipped for it.

One can only hope the choice they make leads to a happy conclusion.

Yep, just as I expected. I posted once in this thread, saw where it was heading, and bailed. The thread title most certainly makes it seem like the parents are forcing it on the kid to make him in their image. However, once you read the article you can see that they are just trying to do what's best for him.

Angry Fork

Why were so many people banned? About to read through the thread now but did this thread turn into an insult war back and forth or something?

SmokyDave

Angry Fork said:
Why were so many people banned? About to read through the thread now but did this thread turn into an insult war back and forth or something?
Are you one of those people that looks up the plot of a film on IMDB before you watch it?

really good friend of mine transitioned in her early-mid 20's and if there's one thing that stuck in my mind reading the OP, its her wish that she had done it sooner, like high school or earlier. The thing I needed to be told at the time it was explained to me is that its a little like homosexuality insofar as it's not really a choice. If you were to get an honest answer from her 10 years ago if she was a boy or a girl, it would be unequivocally that she's a girl. That she was "born wrong", was how she put it at the time.

staying on topic, good on the parents for giving the kid time to come around to this decision. I'm pretty sure Tammy will go through with the rest of the treatment though. I don't think gender identity isn't something that flip flops a whole lot. You either know in your heart of hearts that you're a boy or you're a girl.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
mrklaw said:
hopefully the bans were short, there were a ton of good posters just on the first page...

and their initial posts didn't seem hyperbolic or outrageous, I can only guess they got sucked in by the 'discussion'.

You've read what they've said. Are they really "good" posters? Being completely ignorant about transgender people in general? Believing a Fox News article as straight fact in the first place? It seems that too many people get their information on the topic from Mr. Garrison from South Park.

Zaptruder said:

Chemicals = bad

Just want to quote this again. Its the best job I have seen in summing up the entire issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FrontalMonk said:
staying on topic, good on the parents for giving the kid time to come around to this decision. I'm pretty sure Tammy will go through with the rest of the treatment though. I don't think gender identity isn't something that flip flops a whole lot. You either know in your heart of hearts that you're a boy or you're a girl.

but aren't they artificially giving the child time? Isn't puberty part of growing up and part of understanding your identity? Removing that from the child's life is removing a key input to help them understand who they want to be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GoutPatrol said:
You've read what they've said. Are they really "good" posters? Being completely ignorant about transgender people in general? Believing a Fox News article as straight fact in the first place? It seems that too many people get their information on the topic from Mr. Garrison from South Park.

transgender is a damn minefield, seems like the smart thing to do is simply keep clear, you use the wrong tone of phrase or semantics in the wrong place and you get slammed.

Wiseblade

So moving back to legitimate discussion, would taking hormone inhibitors have any serious side effect if the child decided they wanted to be a boy?

mrklaw said:
but aren't they artificially giving the child time? Isn't puberty part of growing up and part of understanding your identity? Removing that from the child's life is removing a key input to help them understand who they want to be.
The article makes it sound like there's a strong chance the child would become a real suicide risk if they went through puberty.

Mr.Awesome
TheNatural
Eteric Rice
Esperado
MarkMclovin
Invisible_Insane
unomas
VanMardigan
PhoenixDark
vordhosbn
Discotheque
bengraven
DeaconKnowledge
jon bones
LakeEarth
Al-ibn Kermit
Dunlop
B_Rik_Schitthaus
ToxicAdam
Trojita
2th
GhaleonEB
jeremyxc
Utako
Red Liquourice
azi
ChiTownBuffalo
TheJollyCorner
Pachterballs
xbhaskarx
J-Rod
Mudkips
kai3345
HellKarnassus
Phonomezer
Jeff-DSA
Zwei
ReturnOfTheRAT
bjb
AbsoluteZero
HeadlessRoland
SUPREME1
Kafel
06nbarnhill
JordanLMiller
Bel Marduk
WrikaWrek
Anticitizen One
scenemissing
KingJ2002
ElectricBlue187
DR2K
phosphor112
MisterAnderson
Rabbit Lord
SLYspyda
MIMIC

TOO BEAUTIFUL FOR THIS WORLD

Barrett2

Interesting article. Sounds like the kid's gender issues are fairly legit, but man, allowing a child that young to make such a life-altering decision seems very questionable.

I have a cousin, male, who is now 19. He similarly acted like a girl as a child, going so far as to say that he "wanted to be a girl," wanted to exclusively play with "girl" toys, dress as a girl, etc. Im' talking profound commitment through childhood to the notion that he identified as a girl. He is now 21, nice kid, attending college on a singing scholarship. Because his family is strict Mormons, and he is active, it's impossible to know if he is still dealing with gender / sexuality issues, but I would assume so.

But man, I just don't know about allowing a child that young to make such a permanent, life-changing decision. Even waiting until he is 15 seems wildly too young to make a decision like that. But, at the same time I can't imagine being a parent and genuinely believing your kid would lead a better, more fulfilling life as a different gender...

Gaborn

lawblob said:
Interesting article. Sounds like the kid's gender issues are fairly legit, but man, allowing a child that young to make such a life-altering decision seems very questionable.

I have a cousin, male, who is now 19. He similarly acted like a girl as a child, going so far as to say that he "wanted to be a girl," wanted to exclusively play with "girl" toys, dress as a girl, etc. He is now 21, nice kid, attending college on a singing scholarship. Because his family is strict Mormons, and he is active, it's impossible to know if he is still dealing with gender / sexuality issues, but I would assume so.

But man, I just don't know about allowing a child that young to make such a permanent, life-changing decision. Can't say I support those parents.

It's not like it's solely the kid's decision. It's the kid, the parents, and the therapists. This is something that has taken years. And all they're doing at this point is using hormone blockers to give the kid and the rest of them more time to make sure they make the right decision.

ezekial45

Banned
mrklaw said:
This is how I feel about it to be honest. Puberty is a rough period for everyone, of all genders. But to push off till a later date, who knows when that will, when the kid decides on which gender to go with and then getting the child off the chemicals when he's made the transition just sounds very concerning to me. What if he has second thoughts after actually experiencing puberty?

Barrett2

Gaborn said:
It's not like it's solely the kid's decision. It's the kid, the parents, and the therapists. This is something that has taken years. And all they're doing at this point is using hormone blockers to give the kid and the rest of them more time to make sure they make the right decision.

Is there any information about his day to day social life? I have to imagine delaying puberty for several years would further complicate your ability to relate to peers, not to mention its effect on his sense of self during that time in attempting to make such a big decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom