• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 234 - December 2011 - Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls reviews

Natiko

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Except the game doesn't look bad at all and Edge agrees.
I never said it looked bad, but it certainly doesn't look as good as some of its peers. The art style is nice, but on a technical level it's not going to blow you away.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Natiko said:
I never said it looked bad, but it certainly doesn't look as good as some of its peers. The art style is nice, but on a technical level it's not going to blow you away.

the score seems to imply that art style has a sufficient ability to "blow you away" and that the technical level becomes an auxiliary concern in the presence of competent, creative artists. certainly other wii games support this theory.

Dark Souls a 9?

Rage a 7?

I've played both those games. One was a blast, the other made me want to kill myself and everybody within a 5-block radius out of anger that it was allowed to exist.

Natiko

Banned
beelzebozo said:
the score seems to imply that art style has a sufficient ability to "blow you away" and that the technical level becomes an auxiliary concern in the presence of competent, creative artists. certainly other wii games support this theory.
Pretty sure a couple of you are taking these statements out of context. Keep in mind this conversation is in reference to this:

Hyuga said:
So EDGE won't "punish" a game with a lower score, if the graphics are just average?
(and the hardware is easily capable of more)
Interesting!

It seems fairly clear he's not referring to a game's art style and is speaking on a technical level.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
King of the Potato People said:
Super Mario 64 [10]
Super Mario Sunshine [9]
Super Mario Galaxy [10]
Super Mario Galaxy 2 [10]

Super Mario 3D Land... [8]

What happened Nintendo? Super Mario 3DS was meant to be the game to redeem the 3DS.
NSMB Wii got a 7 and is the best 2D Plattformer Nintendo has put out in years. And yeah it sold a ton ...

Oxx

On Mario:

EDGE said:
But there's a joyousness here that wins out, a simple delight in the basics of running, jumping, collecting coins and bouncing into the air that leaves these mild disappointments behind, and a creative blending of Marios past and present that makes the unabashed retread that was New Super Mario Bros appear almost cynical.

linko9

SaitoH said:
Uncharted 3 9
Batman AC 9
Dark Souls 9

My game of the year is going to be a tough choice.

Well, it would be a lot easier if you allowed yourself to play Zelda...

Oxx said:
On Mario:

I imagine having to settle for any amount of watering down the Galaxy formula is too much for EDGE. That said, the simplification of 3D Mario in 3D Land seems to be focusing both around a) new players and b) the portable factor, so it was wise choices to make. Personally, I still expect 3D Land to be up there with Galaxy.

Oxx

On Skyward Sword:

EDGE said:
Before a sword even enters his hands we've met a uniquely athletic Link... Regions built around volcano ascents and sucking quicksand help rediscover a platforming challenge diminished in Zelda since the addition of the auto-jump.

EDGE said:
Nintendo has been so busy elaborating on Ocarina's heroic ideal that it's forgotten to embrace it for itself. So what better way to honour 25 years of bravery than courageously striving for something new? And what opportune hardware to cut those ties? After all, hasn't the Wii hardware spent the past five years searching for the hero inside itself? Firstparty experiments have tested Wii's boundaries, deducing what does and doesn't work. Their findings resonate throughout Skyward Sword. In Wii Sports-powered bomb bowling. In skydiving and swordplay learnt on a Wuhu holiday. In the surreal beauty and orchestrated bombast beamed down from Super Mario Galaxy. In the metallic Metroid chu-chunk of a door lock. Even the opinion-dividing Wii Music is vindicated in subtle moments of auto-tuning cleverness. How apt that this ultimate tale of hero-making should see Nintendo's hardware become the console it was always meant to be.

beelzebozo said:

Eh, I wouldn't say Dark Souls has the kind of visual polish as something like SMG. The game isn't stylized enough to hide some of those rough edges either.

Oxx

On Mario:

EDGE said:
Super Mario 3D Land is a magpie of a game, but it fuses its 2D and 3D influences to make a Mario that feels fresher than an handheld Mario in years. It's not a new Galaxy, but it's an ideal companion piece to EAD Tokyo's Wii games. Whereas they pushed up against the edge of the universe to show us what an unfettered Mario can do, Super Mario 3D Land does the opposite. It homes in, with a clockmaster's precision and a playful gleam in its eye, on what Mario does best.

SaitoH

linko9 said:
Well, it would be a lot easier if you allowed yourself to play Zelda...

Sorry, after TP I have no interest in Zelda ... at the moment. When I'm in the mood to play it, I'll definitely give it a go, but it won't be this year.

mclem

Super Mario 64 [10]
Super Mario Sunshine [9]
Super Mario Galaxy [10]

What happened Nintendo? Super Mario 3DS was meant to be the game to redeem the 3DS.

Honestly, given that there were one or two negative murmurings whenever it appeared at trade shows, I'm pleasantly surprised it was this high. I was very nervous it wasn't going to be much cop.

yarden24

The Antitype said:
Dark Souls a 9?

Rage a 7?

I've played both those games. One was a blast, the other made me want to kill myself and everybody within a 5-block radius out of anger that it was allowed to exist.

I dono man, rage really wasnt that bad, 7 seems appropriate.

Asparagus

PowderedToast said:
i don't think EDGE has looked nice for ages. this cover continues the trend of being uncomfortable to look at, too much going on.

Pretty much, they used to be very clean.

IrishNinja

UnblessedSoul said:
Dark souls 9? I don think so

i agree; a 10 is only fair.

The Antitype said:
Dark Souls a 9?

Rage a 7?

damn, id heard okay things about Rage.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Super Mario 64 [10]
Super Mario Sunshine [9]
Super Mario Galaxy [10]

Why is 8 a bad score still?

Oxx

Diprosalic said:
would you mind telling me what the mild disappointments are in mario 3d? everything you posted seems very positive. :)

Slow walking speed and the simple 'reach the end of the level' objective seem to be worst offenders.

Oxx said:
Slow walking speed and the simple 'reach the end of the level' objective seem to be worst offenders.

i'mokaywiththis.jpg

It's not like all the SMB/SMW games were like that for years anyway, haha

Anteater

Oxx said:
Next Month:

Photo031.jpg

What could this be!?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Super Mario 64 [10]
Super Mario Sunshine [9]
Super Mario Galaxy [10]

1314467004173.gif

Nicktendo86

Oxx said:

Great, look like non issues for me personally. With this, Skyward Sword, Uncharted, Mario Kart 7 plus my HUGE backlog (curse you Arkham City) this is one of the best times I can remember.

Empty

what a wonderful issue. it's very rewarding to see lots of positivity from edge about games you are interested in, definitely going to buy this one.

loving that quote about platforming in zelda too.

Green Scar said:
SMG2 got 10/10 and it wasn't even considered by most places :/

i was about to say that it's probably because it came out early in the year, whereas zelda is going to be more on the mind as a big fall release, then i remembered that most places last year gave it to mass effect 2 and red dead redemption :(

Nintendo-4Life said:
Yeah... I still don't understand that..
Do they give GOTYs to both a game and its sequel in just two years?

Don't forget that SMG is itself the 3rd highest series in the franchise after Kart and 2D Mario. Zelda is not.

They do consider these points, not that I approve of this, but anyway these points don't hold for Zelda SS.

Top Bottom