• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonneta 3 | Review Thread

Power Pro

I don't know how many of you have already seen it, but I stopped into the Gamestop I have mine preordered at today. I'm pretty friendly with the guys that work there, and they showed me the Trinity Edition box for Bayonetta 3 since I already have mine paid off. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I'm always glad to see a nice hefty CE, so I'm pretty stoked to get it.

Those new box arts for all 3 games I'm really tempted to use also, because I like how they all go together.

Majukun

Bayonetta 1 was legendary. Bayo 2 I thought was good but more forgettable.
This one looks...a little bit much. I don't know if I'm a fan of the whole summoning thing, makes combat feel less technical. I kinda like my character action games to be similar to a fighting game, where you have a moveset and you optimize combos for different situations.
Might sit this one out at launch and pick it up on sale later. Also the visuals are painful and the switch is beyond showing its age.

Edit: just watched a few more reviews, seems the demon slave system dominates a lot in this game. fans say it's probably the weakest game in the series. I think I'll pass outright.
ouch, it what i was fearing...but i found difficult to think it can be worse than bayonetta 2

jaysius

Banned
I don't know how many of you have already seen it, but I stopped into the Gamestop I have mine preordered at today. I'm pretty friendly with the guys that work there, and they showed me the Trinity Edition box for Bayonetta 3 since I already have mine paid off. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I'm always glad to see a nice hefty CE, so I'm pretty stoked to get it.

Those new box arts for all 3 games I'm really tempted to use also, because I like how they all go together.
So you’re saying Bayonetta has a big box eh?
Tell Deon Cole GIF by Team Coco

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I can’t get over this Polygon weirdo’s review lol.

Imagine flipping this around and a male Polygon reviewer doesn’t recommend a game because the female protagonist isn’t into men. They’d be tarred and feathered.
'It's okay when WE do it'

It's an utterly infant way of thinking that seems to only go one way.

Spaceman292

Banned
lol you can’t make this shit up.

I literally have never once thought in the many years since Bayo 1 came out thought that she was a lesbian. Now she’s straight and it’s a betrayal of the character? Doesn’t this type of thinking ignore bisexual people? I guess we shouldn’t apply logic, let’s just let the anointed ones tell us how to feel about this combat-focused game based on the character’s sexuality….Wait what the fuck are we talking about?
Two female characters aren't allowed to be friends. They HAVE to be gay, otherwise it's racist.

Keihart

Hope the performance is good enough on switch, seems like you can already emulate the game but i don't wanna play with the probable bugs added by emulation on my first run.

Edit: LMAO, how dense do you have to be to not get that Luka and Bayo are a thing since the start? the fucking lollypop, cheshire? what else do you need?

Last edited:

Keihart

Bayonetta 1 was legendary. Bayo 2 I thought was good but more forgettable.
This one looks...a little bit much. I don't know if I'm a fan of the whole summoning thing, makes combat feel less technical. I kinda like my character action games to be similar to a fighting game, where you have a moveset and you optimize combos for different situations.
Might sit this one out at launch and pick it up on sale later. Also the visuals are painful and the switch is beyond showing its age.

Edit: just watched a few more reviews, seems the demon slave system dominates a lot in this game. fans say it's probably the weakest game in the series. I think I'll pass outright.

jaysius

Banned
Is it just me, or do the graphics for this game look really bad?

This is one of those Switch games that makes me wish it had a port to something else.
Shhhh the fanbois have decided we’re not allowed to talk about that…EVER.

Fake

Is it just me, or do the graphics for this game look really bad?

This is one of those Switch games that makes me wish it had a port to something else.

I suggest you to watch Skill Up review. The game is heavily art direction, but is the Switch that is holding up the team behind Bayonneta.

They worked with what they could.

Fbh

What a journey the Bayonetta franchise has been on:
From evil franchise that woke people hate because it has a sexualized main character to evil franchise that woke people hate because it refuses to recognize the the camera was a lesbian all along.

I suggest you to watch Skill Up review. The game is heavily art direction, but is the Switch that is holding up the team behind Bayonneta.

They worked with what they could.

Haven't played it but from the footage in reviews I still think it weirdly looks visually worse than Bayo 2.
Still getting it day 1 though, I'm primarily here for the gameplay

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Do they think it's different to blame heterosexuality than it is to attack homosexuality? don't they understand that getting angry the character was hetro is the same as getting angry they are gay?

They are the same sort of people who attack a game character for being trans. They are just doing it to another group.

It's bizarre when the red flags, for some reason, don't go up if someone is blaming "the right group to blame". Any journalist that goes after any form of sexuality, gender, or sex in this manner, should not be writing articles for any website. They are stating in the opening that they don't like the game because of the sexuality of the character. Jesus.

tkscz

Yeah, fuck em, im not letting these outrage clowns ruin bayonetta 3 for me. Apparently its wrong for bayonetta to be straight or bi. Remember characters can only be gay from now on, otherwise twitter will try to cancel you.
It's a validation obsession. They need to feel they are in everything or they feel they don't count. They can't look in the mirror and validate their own life, someone else has to do it. So they latch onto characters and label them for validation and when they are wrong about them, they then complain because they feel invalidated when a character they didn't create turns out not to be what they wanted. As you can see it also comes with taking characters away from everyone they feel shouldn't look at it. In a sense it's stealing someone else's work.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It's a validation obsession. They need to feel they are in everything or they feel they don't count. They can't look in the mirror and validate their own life, someone else has to do it. So they latch onto characters and label them for validation and when they are wrong about them, they then complain because they feel invalidated when a character they didn't create turns out not to be what they wanted. As you can see it also comes with taking characters away from everyone they feel shouldn't look at it. In a sense it's stealing someone else's work.
I agree, im all for inclusion in media. But crying on twitter over a character that they assumed was a lesbian being in fact canonically straight or bi instead, is not the way to go about achieving it. Fans need to remember that no matter how attached they feel to a character or series, they do not own it, and are not the final authority on it. Ultimatley the creator can do whatever they want with it. And its not like they made bayonetta a fucking nazi or something. She had a relationship with someone of the opposite gender. Any way, im going to do my best to ignore social media on this. I love bayonetta and im not gonna let my frustration with the opinions of others spoil that for me

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
These days games being “games” has become negative thing, one way or another games has to have some kind of “massage” about real world politics.

I LOVE Bayonetta series and love the characters but story was never deep or thought provoking or emotional and guess what? It’s NOT suppose to.

you play Bayonetta for its combat and over the top set pieces and story it’s just excuse to get you through those moments.

Fbh

Yeah, fuck em, im not letting these outrage clowns ruin bayonetta 3 for me. Apparently its wrong for bayonetta to be straight or bi. Remember characters can only be gay from now on, otherwise twitter will try to cancel you.

Just ignore them. It's not a real outrage, just a handful of mentally unstable people on Twitter.
It's nothing new either, Tumblr had been doing the whole "2 characters of the same sex are close friends in this anime/cartoon/videogame so they MUST be fucking!!!" thing since forever. They just migrated to Twitter.

Just gonna drop this here.
Don't pay attention to the theme name, i haven't spoiled myslef but i think my theory was right if i pay attention to the song ...

Just an FYI.
I've been told the microphone used to record this song is a lesbian too. It's in an open relationship with the camera

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I got bored of Bayo 2 after a while sometimes the camera and the sheer insanity of stuff going on it was I admit a bit overwhelming at times but also how many times can you gyrate sexually then breakdance spin with guns strapped to your shoes while blasting enemies before it gets old? Ok probably never, while I appreciate the game and the love but I’m not sure if it’s for me. Though never say never.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Also, this game has a lot more explicit nudity than one or two i noticed in some of the reviews, like full exposed chest shots, but they didn't model nipples on her so i guess it passes nintendos censors lol

Top Bottom