• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand Gameplay Premiere Trailer [And Details]

Foliorum Viridum said:
I believe so, yes.

On PC too? That seems stupid. I can see it on consoles perhaps, but on PC it should be like the good old days, where it simply told you "you don't have this map, go buy it" when such a map came up in rotation.

RbBrdMan said:
What are you going to do kick everyone that doesn't have the map pack when it comes up in normal rotation?

Player base dividing map pack are always tricky.
Sure, if it means that the people who have both don't have to have an and/or experience. Just find vanilla servers or something if you don't want the DLC and to get kicked from servers as a result.

Edit:
BattleMonkey said:
On PC too? That seems stupid. I can see it on consoles perhaps, but on PC it should be like the good old days, where it simply told you "you don't have this map, go buy it" when such a map came up in rotation.
Basically, this.

RbBrdMan said:
What are you going to do kick everyone that doesn't have the map pack when it comes up in normal rotation?

Player base dividing map pack are always tricky.

PC games have done that for years, you get booted if you don't have the right map when it comes up in rotation.

It divides the playerbase far less than when you are forcing them to play on expansion only servers or vanilla only.

I'm guessing extended persistence just means you keep your level and unlocks from the main game when you're playing these maps. I don't really know how they'll be integrated though so that might not make sense. Basically what I'm describing is how they did it in BC2: Vietnam.

In Battlelog Back to Karkand is a seperate "game", similar to BFBC2:Vietnam.

What I hope they will implement is a third option on the left, which would be "BF3 + B2K", which would mean one could choose to filter servers that play just BF3, just B2K, or a combination of the two.

I feel that'd be the best way of sorting this problem out.

mr_nothin

Banned
Stallion Free said:
What the fuck is going on with the contrast?

Other than that, can't fucking wait for some quality map design.
Before:
nosun.jpg

After:
sunbloomcolourgrade.jpg

Moaradin

I haven't heard anything about not being able to mix the maps. I don't see why karkland enabled servers couldn't just add the vanilla maps in the rotation. It is all on battlelog after all. Not two separated games.

RibbedHero said:

What I hope they will implement is a third option on the left, which would be "BF3 + B2K", which would mean one could choose to filter servers that play just BF3, just B2K, or a combination of the two.

Yeah, this a good idea. I like it.

Playing the same 4 maps over and over again on a good server (read: GAF) would suck and then you'd have to manually change it and lack any of the DLC maps in the other rotation.

Just horrible.

Biggzy

Digital-Hero said:
It's already a barren wasteland with 4 capture points on big maps so I hope so.

Yeah Caspian borders doesn't work well on conquest with 24 players. Works better in rush due to the fact that players get funnelled into one particular area of the map.

RibbedHero said:

Yeah...wouldn't this simple option alleviate any worries about splitting the community? Unless it has it's own .exe or something...

RibbedHero said:

You can already do this by just checking off both BF3 and Karkland options. Don't think servers can run a combination of the two though, it sounds like they to be running Karland or BF3

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, this a good idea. I like it.

Playing the same 4 maps over and over again on a good server (read: GAF) would suck and then you'd have to manually change it and lack any of the DLC maps in the other rotation.

Just horrible.

Somebody should put this on the Battlefield 3 community fix thingy, Anton.

dLMN8R

What a fucking awesome trailer. Can't wait.

Anton Sugar said:
So WTF is extended persistence?
There was a brief mention of team-wide missions earlier, maybe that's what they're talking about? I'm intriduged :-D

Enkidu

They should allow servers flagged as "Back To Karkand" to run vanilla maps as well, since everyone has those anyway so there won't be any problem.

Enkidu said:
They should allow servers flagged as "Back To Karkand" to run vanilla maps as well, since everyone has those anyway so there won't be any problem.

Yea, it makes no sense why they can't be integrated. Just make it that if you don't got the expansion, that you can't access or see these servers.

mr_nothin said:
Before:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/serbusfish/nosun.jpg/IMG]
After:
[IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/serbusfish/sunbloomcolourgrade.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait, who had found ways to customize the brightness, contrast, and color grading? Was it you?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
RbBrdMan said:

Yes thats exactly what they need to do..well that and a little you can buy this mappack from store link.
Not having the ability to combine addon maps into custom server map rotation is bush league and has always been the ruination of Battlefield addons.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-GOUKI- said:
Preorder Cancelled

This made me chuckle.

What do they mean by extended destruction? Both on old maps and new? And by persistence do they mean the bits that fall off stick around longer?

Nekrono said:
That's a lot of content right there!! I thought it would be just the maps.

I don't see that as a lot of content. It's ok I guess but a lot it's stretching things too far I guess. Anyway I hope they include some kind of patch to fix performance even more, like for instance, for i5 processors =P

Anyway, can't wait!

Zeppelin

AndyD said:
This made me chuckle.

What do they mean by extended destruction? Both on old maps and new? And by persistence do they mean the bits that fall off stick around longer?

I would assume they mean more destruction than in BF2 but I can't remember if that game had any at all.

mr_nothin

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
Wait, who had found ways to customize the brightness, contrast, and color grading? Was it you?
Yea it was me but those screenshots are from a presentation. I can make the game look like the before color wise (maybe even contrast wise) but I cant take away the sun or the lens flaire just yet.

spk

Anton Sugar said:
Did that poster ever finish their little write up

-GOUKI-

mr_nothin said:
Before:
[IM]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/serbusfish/nosun.jpg[/IMG]
After:
[IM]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/serbusfish/sunbloomcolourgrade.jpg[/IMG]
+10000000 saturation! SO REAL!!!!!

AndyD said:
This made me chuckle.

They just said the destruction to going to be kicked up a notch compared to vanilla BF3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I see... 6 conquest points... on Karkand(? Can't tell with IRNV).

Everyone bitching in that "PC isn't the lead platform anymore" thread... owned?

Dealwithit.gif, PCGAF.

Top Bottom