• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

CartridgeBlower said:
I asked if they didn't notice the difference in control themselves, like many gaffers have been wondering, and they said they literally would sit employees down and give them different versions and they would not be able to tell.
Understandable, now that I am up to Chapter 14 I have adjusted and it feels like second nature. Pulling off headshots and holding my ground against tons of enemies at once no problem at the section with
damn pirates!

Since they have played the game so much since the beginning of prototyping 2 years ago it is understandable that the change wasn't jarring to them.

arne

mysticwhip said:
MB and aiming might be fixed, cooooooooooool.

Question for Arne, I was recently replaying the Jak games and in the BTS videos, there was this one dude, he was black and had dread locks, he was an animator I think, the last time I saw him was in the UDF BTS, he looked very familiar. Does he still work at ND?

that's Kion, he's still here. awesome dude. great DJ too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mama Robotnik said:
I hope this sets the trend of shipping more gaffers off to go fix things. Anyone volunteering to be sent to Sonic Team?
You can't fix what isn't broken!

ND, Proper!

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just started up the game (my power has been out since last Saturday--if you guys have been following the news about us in MA) and I couldn't hit the side of a barn in the very early missions. Controls were WHOAZAZ out of control. Worse than BF3 (I adjusted to that quickly--but still would like to see a fix).

Before I even shot at any enemies, I did some diagonal tests and thought (well this isn't bad at all)...then enemies started coming and it was so hard to hit em'.

klier

Better aiming is nice. Never had much problems to begin with, though I must definitely admit something was off when I started the game, but I adjusted pretty well to it...

DAT BLUR back is even better! Hope we'll get it soon!
Why was is not present from the beginning though???

BTW, tons of respect to the ND team from me too!!

Very cool to hear ND did that, must have been a great experience for those GAF members. I'm jealous. I'm buying the U3 bundle after my PS3 died yesterday, so I can't wait!

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Sorry for not being able to reply right away guys. Was out and about.

Anyway just repeating how awesome Naughty Dog were about this whole thing. They really are putting a lot of effort to get the aiming issue resolved.

My buddy and I spent majority of our time there chatting with Justin Richmond about the controls. He had us play a level with the old controls, and replay it with the new controls. To be honest, the new controls did fix a lot of issues, but the big issue we agreed on was that the aim assist was too "sticky" and it caused a lot of the weird issues that we're complaining about. I felt that they still need to tune the precise movement while aiming even with the new controls as slightly aiming the analog stick would still cause weird acceleration issues that had you misjudge your shot.

It also is awesome that Naughty Dog knew about the missing motion blur effect before i even said anything and that they're already working on patching it back in. Love me some motion blur specifically the per-object kind ;)

Yeah, the whole time we were there it was surreal. It really was amazing how starstruck my buddy and I were about being inside their studio. I mean this is the house of Crash, Jak, and Drake lol.

Santar

I just have to say, amazing thing you did there Naughty Dog!
I don't think there are many other developers out there who would've done such a thing, and so quickly too.
They really seem to be listening to their fans.

Now if only we could get support for solo offline play in the survival modes.

Kinda got used to the aiming now, but hearing that the motion blur will come is awesome, I miss it a lot. And yes, very weird that they "forgot" it.

ND are amazing and I'm putting my playthrough on hold now. :( :)

Anteater

AwesomeSauce said:
Sorry for not being able to reply right away guys. Was out and about.

Anyway just repeating how awesome Naughty Dog were about this whole thing. They really are putting a lot of effort to get the aiming issue resolved.

My buddy and I spent majority of our time there chatting with Justin Richmond about the controls. He had us play a level with the old controls, and replay it with the new controls. To be honest, the new controls did fix a lot of issues, but the big issue we agreed on was that the aim assist was too "sticky" and it caused a lot of the weird issues that we're complaining about. I felt that they still need to tune the precise movement while aiming even with the new controls as slightly aiming the analog stick would still cause weird acceleration issues that had you misjudge your shot.

It also is awesome that Naughty Dog knew about the missing motion blur effect before i even said anything and that they're already working on patching it back in. Love me some motion blur specifically the per-object kind ;)

Yeah, the whole time we were there it was surreal. It really was amazing how starstruck my buddy and I were about being inside their studio. I mean this is the house of Crash, Jak, and Drake lol.

hrrm I wonder if they'll completely get rid of it or adjust it, it seems like a design choice that's suppose to make it "easier" to aim? It wasn't in UC2 right? (this is actually something I didn't notice until people pointed it out to me, I just thought it was just slow in 3 because enemies dashes around).

Lightning

Banned
Santar said:
I just have to say, amazing thing you did there Naughty Dog!
I don't think there are many other developers out there who would've done such a thing, and so quickly too.
They really seem to be listening to their fans.

Now if only we could get support for solo offline play in the survival modes.
It is awesome that ND listen to their fans but what ND need to do is put back in the custcene viewer and the other things back in for the solo game that they took out. To be honest, the lack of the cutscene viewer really irritates me as ND put so much work into their cutscenes and we shouldn't have to replay chapters to see them in such a story focused game/franchise.

Nizz

FINALBOSS said:
Just started up the game (my power has been out since last Saturday--if you guys have been following the news about us in MA) and I couldn't hit the side of a barn in the very early missions. Controls were WHOAZAZ out of control. Worse than BF3 (I adjusted to that quickly--but still would like to see a fix).

Before I even shot at any enemies, I did some diagonal tests and thought (well this isn't bad at all)...then enemies started coming and it was so hard to hit em'.
Wow, really? Still waiting for a damn patch for that, haven't played that damn game in almost a week.

Nice that when I eventually get UC3, it'll already have the adjusted controls and motion blur people were saying was missing. What an awesome job by ND. :)

Jigsaw

Banned
ND is amazing,lets hope they can get the patch through certification fast,i read this takes 2-3 weeks normally

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wonderful to hear this sort of follow through. Well done and GAF was a part of it in a small way too so that's cool.

I've been down that I've been doing uni work and not playing U3, but now after reading this I'm okay with it and will wait for patch.

ND are awesome. Mad respect.

StuBurns

Banned
LemonGremlin said:
So was the diagonal aiming problem a red herring? (i.e. was also in U2).
UC2 has that same system, but moving between them feels much nicer to me, and it's not just sticky aim, because you can compare them when you're not aiming at a bad guy and it's the same thing.

Anteater said:
hrrm I wonder if they'll completely get rid of it or adjust it, it seems like a design choice that's suppose to make it "easier" to aim? It wasn't in UC2 right? (this is actually something I didn't notice until people pointed it out to me, I just thought it was just slow in 3 because enemies dashes around).
U2 had zero auto aim on normal and up.

I do hope we see a patch to turn it off in U3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
Couldn't you just literally patch in UC2's controls? or does that not work?
Probably not since there's the added recoil and other stuff that go into the gunplay. The aiming camera angle has also been adjusted since the bullets fly at a different trajectory in this one and the animation system is a bit different. Patching them directly would probably cause some issues.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
funkystudent said:
U2 had zero auto aim on normal and up.

I do hope we see a patch to turn it off in U3.

Believe me you need auto-aim when using a controller.

We played the game without it and while aiming was improved(not getting sucked in the weird aim assist) the big issue was fine tuning your shot with small movements of the analog stick. Even with aim assist off, the range of motion when slightly moving the stick was off or imprecise, and this is with the zero dead zone.

matmanx1

Props to ND for such a great response and grats to you guys that got to go help them fine tune the aiming issue. I'm sort of glad I haven't started on the SP yet as I was still working on Dark Souls. Perhaps by the time I finish my first run through on it the patch will be out.

StuBurns

Banned
Auto aim and sticky aim are different aren't they? Auto aim is automatic aiming, it doesn't move your reticule, it does it post firing, sticky aim is the Halo thing of slowing the reticule when it's over an enemy.

Gacha-pin

AwesomeSauce said:
Believe me you need auto-aim when using a controller.

We played the game without it and while aiming was improved(not getting sucked in the weird aim assist) the big issue was fine tuning your shot with small movements of the analog stick. Even with aim assist off, the range of motion when slightly moving the stick was off or imprecise, and this is with the zero dead zone.
I wonder if U1 has a aime asisit. To me, aming in U1 is the most natural and my favorite in all the console TPS.

Ra1den

Don't know if I should hold off on the rest of my second playthrough until the patch hits...if its just gonna be a day or two then I can wait, but if its gonna be like weeks or something...hmmm

Reallink

Did you guys get around to asking why the controls are different across SP and MP in the first place? Would have been my first question.

reptilescorpio said:
Understandable, now that I am up to Chapter 14 I have adjusted and it feels like second nature. Pulling off headshots and holding my ground against tons of enemies at once no problem at the section with
damn pirates!

Same here. I was annoyed the most with the controls at that part too. Then in the final 1/3 of the game I finally got used to it.

I'm glad it's something fixable, but a little disappointed ND wasn't able to just immediately revert to Uncharted 2's settings.

JudgeN

Pish time for the important question, doesn't ND have 2 dogs that live in the office? What kind of dogs are they and what is there title?

KingK

TTP said:
Good shit. Holding on my Crushing run then.

Same. I was about to start a Crushing run tonight, but I'll just do multiplayer and co-op until a patch and see what's it like after that. (mostly waiting for the motion blur, as I didn't have any problems adjusting to the controls).

ND is really awesome.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Props to ND. Seems something got screwed up with the gold master in regards to the motion blur (drinking on the job again?). Hopefully they completely scrap that horrendous sticky aim.

Ra1den

Reallink said:
Did you guys get around to asking why the controls are different across SP and MP in the first place? Would have been my first question.

I'd also like to know this.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This is great news, thanks for the update, can't believe they are going to put motion blur back in as well, I really didn't expect that, ND really came through in style.

I do still have wonder though if this would of resulted in a similar outcome if we hadn't kicked up the fuss that we did, either way though ND did came through for us and gave a couple of guys a great day out it seems.

I think they definitely deserve a tag, they were essentially our ambassadors for the day.

Top Bottom