• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GOUKI-

Seep said:

So has it been confirmed that this .gif from the Sound of Skyrim video is definitely PC footage? Because there's certainly no shadows on objects in the videos I've seen today, I don't think the books open either.
i think the indoor scenes have some dynamic shadows.

MrBig

Seep said:

So has it been confirmed that this .gif from the Sound of Skyrim video is definitely PC footage? Because there's certainly no shadows on objects in the videos I've seen today, I don't think the books open either.
There are shadows on detail objects on consoles.
Those shadows look too terrible to be PC.

Seep

EviLore said:
All of the official media is 360 footage*

*except when we're lying and it's actually PC footage

That old chestnut eh?

It's our own fault, how many times have we been lied to and yet we believe everything that comes out of their mouth. :(

Seep said:
Because there's certainly no shadows on objects in the videos I've seen today, I don't think the books open either.

There's definitely shadows on objects indoors, and the books do open them if you pick them up.

Also, cool little note about the houses you can buy, there's a book shelf that you can deposit books in and it automatically stacks and alphabetizes them for you :)

Lakitu

st5fu
Bootaaay said:
There's definitely shadows on objects indoors, and the books do open them if you pick them up.

Also, cool little note about the houses you can buy, there's a book shelf that you can deposit books in and it automatically stacks and alphabetizes them for you :)

What. This is monumental news.

Dmax3901

Bootaaay said:

Oh god. Now I'm going to have to make my own library. Great.

Wallach

Bootaaay said:

Skyrim Crossing confirmed, goodbye world.

Bootaaay said:

Well now I'm going to have collect every book in the game.

Tobor

Bootaaay said:

HALLELUJAH! GOTF CONFIRMED!

Seriously, I've wanted this feature since Morrowind!

Fjordson

Bootaaay said:

Whaaat. That is awesome.

Woorloog

Banned
Bootaaay said:

Nice, very nice.
To me, it seems that Skyrim is part the Elder Scrolls, part Fable (marriage, buy houses) and part the Sims (decorate houses, again marriage), part Dragon and part awesome.
(Yeah, i know you could do some decorating in Morro/Obli)

Echoplx

Bootaaay said:

ibcfCRYgDM9XiW.gif

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Whoa whoa whoa, buying furniture? Okay, if there's a house decorating element here, I may have the only game I'll ever need.

Add loan payments, fishing, bug collecting, seasons (even if visually it's always the same, I'd like 4 different NPC and event cycles) and talkative, well written NPCs, and here's my Animal Crossing sequel.

Woorloog

Banned
Lyphen said:
Whoa whoa whoa, buying furniture? Okay, if there's a house decorating element here, I may have the only game I'll ever need.

Add loan payments, fishing, bug collecting and talkative, well written NPCs, and here's my Animal Crossing sequel.
All these can be done via mods if Bethesda won't do these/has included some of these already.
With mods, both Morrowind and Oblivion are already Games of the Forever, Skyrim will be Game of Eternity.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Bootaaay said:

Is the lighting dynamic? Are candles, torches, lamp posts, etc real sources of light?

Seep

Bootaaay said:

Oh well ignore me then. That second bit is very awesome indeed.

If that is our reaction to being able to stack and alphabetize our books guys think about what the whole game is going to be like.

if there's a house decorating element here, I may have the only game I'll ever need.

Can't wait till I have enough gold to buy the heated swimming pool.

Boss Man

CrocMother said:
If that is our reaction to being able to stack and alphabetize our books guys think about what the whole game is going to be like.
I know, think of all of the things we might be able to stack and alphabetize!

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
EviLore said:
All of the official media is 360 footage*
*except when we're lying and it's actually PC footage

Alright, some clarification.

We never lied. Some shots in the initial gameplay trailer were indeed captured on a PC -- using the 360 renderer. They were captured that way for logistical purposes. Essentially, the footage you saw is 360 footage -- or footage of the PC version if you have the graphics sliders at that level, depending on how you look at it.

I think the game looks great on 360/PS3. It can look even better on PC if you have a beefy machine due to the advanced graphics options/higher resolution/AA/etc. You guys can be the judge in a few days, but we're not engaging in deception here.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Woorloog said:
All these can be done via mods if Bethesda won't do these/has included some of these already.
With mods, both Morrowind and Oblivion are already Games of the Forever, Skyrim will be Game of Eternity.
Not that Bethesda games don't have a little dose of jank on their own, but my main problem with mods in TES games is that they're visually very inconsistent. I guess though, that since everything is modeled in 3D for inventory, that won't really matter here as long as the editors use pre-existing assets.

I'd buy this AC mod though.

Nice to have it cleared up a bit. I'm not too worried about how it looks anyways though as what I've seen is already pretty epic, PC version or not.

nickbreckon said:

We never lied. Some shots in the initial gameplay trailer were indeed captured on a PC -- using the 360 renderer. They were captured that way for logistical purposes. Essentially, the footage you saw is 360 footage -- or footage of the PC version if you have the graphics sliders at that level, depending on how you look at it.

I think the game looks great on 360/PS3. It can look even better on PC if you have a beefy machine due to the advanced graphics options/higher resolution/AA/etc. You guys can be the judge in a few days, but we're not engaging in deception here.

Thanks for clearing that up a bit, Nick. Could you possibly comment on how loot scaling will work? I know lots of people are wondering.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
nickbreckon said:

preordering for PC justified? Seems so :)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Lyphen said:

Add loan payments, fishing, bug collecting, seasons (even if visually it's always the same, I'd like 4 different NPC and event cycles) and talkative, well written NPCs, and here's my Animal Crossing sequel.
There is bug collecting and you can grab fish out of the water. I have no idea how much variety there is in the types of bugs or fish though.

bengraven

Bootaaay said:

OMjFg.gif

AFUkZ.gif

Hi Nick, this is still true about loot, right?

5) Are loot and quest rewards level scaled, like in Oblivion? Will there be any powerful un-scaled items?

Bruce: We’re handling leveling stuff similar to how we did in Fallout 3, but with a few new twists that we hope players won’t even notice. The enemies and loot are based on the “encounter zone” you’re in, so it could be higher or lower level than your current level. We do have a new concept of epic or “special” loot that you can randomly find in many cases, regardless of the zone, and you will still get better stuff in the better zones with your level higher. Same goes for quest rewards. We try to make them appropriate for what you did. Sometimes that is random, sometimes that is a set item. There’s a lot of specific stuff that is very powerful, like the Daedric artifacts."

Truant

nickbreckon said:

Can you comment on dynamic shadows on objects in the console versions? Does the book gif represent the quality 360/PS3 users can expect?

Wallach

Emerson said:
There is bug collecting and you can grab fish out of the water. I have no idea how much variety there is in the types of bugs or fish though.

There's also the ability to invest into merchants; I don't know if you can repay your own loans but I guess you could make merchants repay theirs to you, lol.

Lakitu

st5fu
Crazetex said:
Uh,
most animals are nocturnal
. Did not do the research.

I'd say it's more like me being a dumbarse. I read
animals have sleeping patterns and automatically connected sleeping with night.

Tobor

bengraven said:
I can finally make my master library. I'm so damn excited for the bookshelves!

/geekasm

Yeah, I know it's weird, but this is the most exciting addition to the game I've heard yet. Lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
nickbreckon said:

Thanks for the clarification and engaging the subject directly, however there isn't any way to reconcile all of Bethesda's PR statements in a satisfactory manner.

The trailer's 360 footage, look at the amazing things we're doing on 360 ---> we haven't shown pc footage? that trailer's pc ---> oh well some of it's 360, some PC --> some 360 and some PC but rendered using the 360 renderer with sliders at 360 level so not really PC

All irrelevant in a few days as far as Skyrim is concerned, though, yes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm very unhappy about this alphabetized bookshelf nonsense! Preorder canceled!!!!!!!!!

Fucking bethesda having to dumb down the game for console retards! Just another of the long list of RPG elements that get cut for casuals!

My Nord is illiterate!!!! How could he alphabetize books!? He couldn't! He was going to learn to read after marrying an Orc female and she would teach him in exchange for skooma and jewelry and a pet mule... and now it's all ruuiiiiiinnnneeed!@

First repair hammers and now auto alphabet!? Arrrghhh!

bengraven

Tobor said:
Yeah, I know it's weird, but this is the most exciting addition to the game I've heard yet. Lol.

Really? That's crazy.

(me too, all the way)

EviLore said:
Thanks for the clarification and engaging the subject directly, however there isn't any way to reconcile all of Bethesda's PR statements in a satisfactory manner.

The trailer's 360 footage, look at the amazing things we're doing on 360 ---> we haven't shown pc footage? that trailer's pc ---> oh well some of it's 360, some PC --> some 360 and some PC but rendered using the 360 renderer with sliders at 360 level so not really PC

All irrelevant in a few days as far as Skyrim is concerned, though, yes.

Agreed.

They were good about releasing screenshots for each system with Oblivion and Fallout 3, I don't understand why ALL media has to be 360, unless we get upset.

It's really strange, actually, and makes me wonder why they wouldn't want to at least give PC Gamer, for example, some beautiful high rez shots with AA turned on.

spirity

Alpha-Bromega said:
that person probably also wrote The Pitt for Fallout 3, because that and the Dark Brotherhood are the only good things Bethesda has designed and written in a looong time

Shivering Isles and Point Lookout were both great too.

Horse Armour aside, Bethesda's dlc is usually pretty good.

sdornan

Evolved1 said:
I'm very unhappy about this alphabetized bookshelf nonsense! Preorder canceled!!!!!!!!!

Fucking bethesda having to dumb down the game for console retards! Just another of the long list of RPG elements that get cut for casuals!

My Nord is illiterate!!!! How could he alphabetize books!? He couldn't! He was going to learn to read after marrying an Orc female and she would teach him in exchange for skooma and jewelry and a pet mule... and now it's all ruuiiiiiinnnneeed!@

First repair hammers and now auto alphabet!? Arrrghhh!
You've never heard of the the library fairy? Fairy comes in every night and organizes your bookshelf. Big part of Elder Scrolls lore.

bengraven

One thing I didn't like in Oblivion/FO3/NV was the "dangling" aspect when you pick something up.

I would have preferred they went the Half-life 2 route. Pick something up and you can set it down nicely somewhere else.

My god, I spent like 10 minutes trying to place one single potion with it's small ass bottom on a shelf in my house in Skingrad.

Who grabs a bottle and spins it as fast as they can while trying to put it back down in real life?

ironcreed

Banned
GarthVaderUK said:
Well now I'm going to have collect every book in the game.

Well, it already has hundreds of hours worth of content. Might as well tack on a few more. The game is going to be amazing, pure and simple. Especially once you start noticing and adding up all the little things like that.

Wallach

nickbreckon said:

So, are you saying that we still have not seen any media from Bethesda that is at least higher than 360 quality?

I mean if what you said is true I don't really understand Hines' comment on Twitter at all.

Woorloog

Banned
spirity said:
Shivering Isles and Point Lookout were both great too.

Horse Armour aside, Bethesda's dlc is usually pretty good.
The houses in Oblivion were largerly meh... i mean, they're cool and useful but lacked any interesting quests and the game simply slammed the quest to gain the house once you installed the mod regardless where you where etc and made standard houses "useless". Knights of the Nine was all right and Shiver Isles was good if not quite on par with Morrowind expansions (yeah, i like Tribunal a lot). FO3 DLC was largerly all right IMO though the Pitt was very, very depressing, even more so than the Capital Wasteland (yet fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom