• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

bengraven said:
This isn't a response to Solo above, but I was just going to comment to an early poster that I have never ever had a bad first day, week, months experience with an Elder Scrolls game...hell, a Bethesda game period. I think in my experience with the last decade of playing Beth games, I've probably suffered maybe 5 glitches. Maybe 2 of those were major, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by reloading my save.

I really fucking love these games.
Well said. Got Morriwind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 all on day one (FO 3 and Oblivion on 360 no less) and never had any problems. I guess I'm lucky, I dunno. Just never had a single reservation about buying a Bethesda game day one.

Pollux

bengraven said:
This isn't a response to Solo above, but I was just going to comment to an early poster that I have never ever had a bad first day, week, months experience with an Elder Scrolls game...hell, a Bethesda game period. I think in my experience with the last decade of playing Beth games, I've probably suffered maybe 5 glitches. Maybe 2 of those were major, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by reloading my save.

Leaving Seyda Neen for that first time was literally like entering another country and just having this place to explore, be nice to people, and steal every fucking thing that wasn't bolted down.

Oblivion was the thieves guild on Night 1 of playing and it was one of my favorite moments playing a game of stealth.

Fallout 3, leaving the vault and missing the sign to Megaton and ending up south along a highway into a crumbled part of the city and three raiders that murdered me...then reloading and taking it slower and then dying and then removing the highest difficulty setting so I could enjoy exploring...only to find my way to Megaton by accident.

I really fucking love these games.

Agree 100%. My first time playing Morrowind and trying to find Balmora and ending up in the middle of nowhere and meeting a friend Nord with no pants. That is one of my favorite memories of gaming.

Or a screaming mage falling from the sky.

God Morrowind was amazing. Hope Skyrim is just as good.

ACE 1991 said:
Is that website legit?

it is, it's a couple of dudes buying games in russia and sell them to you. they make a good buck since games there cost only around 10$ (afaik). it's legit and legal but i don't think it's really good for the developers.

ACE 1991

Diprosalic said:
it is, it's a couple of dudes buying games in russia and sell them to you. they make a good buck since games there cost only around 10$ (afaik). it's legit and legal but i don't think it's really good for the developers.

Can I plop the CD-key into steam?

EDIT: Never mind, it says you can on the site.

Simo

Fjordson said:
I want to vote for Skyrim, but it feels kind of weird to do so before playing.
You can't anyways, the GOTY voting is only for the "panelists", IE press, that have played all games nominated,

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
DatBreh said:
Since you quoted me im assuming you are talking about my post. Well i for one have experienced glitches in both Oblivion and Fallout 3 day one, so im not just repeating things ive seen others say. Im still buying the game but if i can afford to wait a month or 2 to let the more common bugs get ironed out i dont see the problem.
What does "experienced glitches" mean? A glitch or two is expected in open world games and far from justifies calling a game a mess. New Vegas was a mess. It had dozens of glitches, several of which were game breakers. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nowhere near that.

ACE 1991

Credo said:
I'm about to drive myself crazy over whether I should get the 360 or PC version.

I played Morrowind and Oblivion on consoles, loved both of them, and had no problems with either. I like playing on big screens, and I wasn't able to connect my PC to a TV in the past. I still haven't done that up to this point, but I'm able to do it now.

My PC exceeds all of Skyrim's recommended specs, and I know the PC versions of Elder Scrolls games get a lot of praise because of all the mods that are released, so it seems like a no-brainer that I should buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable and play the PC version with a controller on my TV.

For those who play PC games on TV with a 360 controller, is there any kind of input lag or any other issue that detracts from the experience? Should I just go ahead with the PC version and quit worrying about it?

Yeah, this exactly how I'm planning on playing it. No issues with input lag, ever. Do it up!

DatBreh

Banned
Emerson said:
What does "experienced glitches" mean? A glitch or two is expected in open world games and far from justifies calling a game a mess. New Vegas was a mess. It had dozens of glitches, several of which were game breakers. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nowhere near that.

Yeah, i didnt play New Vegas until a couple months down the line because i knew there would be issues. Im just speaking on what i have experienced. When i play 2 games from the same company and am confronted with glitches on day one in both cases i have a right to be wary of future games. Esp. when the glitches i saw were fixed in the very first patch. From my experiences R* games have far fewer glitches on day one despite also being open world games.

matt05891

So tempted to buy the pc and xbox version. Sigh I guess I should wait at least a few weeks or months to buy the pc one. Cheaper and with mods starting to see the light of day.

spirity

Hawkian said:
Hmm so I do have the opportunity to play Oblivion for the first time now. What do you guys think? I guess I probably wouldn't come anywhere close to beating it by the time Skyrim comes out.

I say go for it. Oblivion gets waaay too much flak here than it deserves. Its a stellar game. It hasn't aged well in terms of faces, some of its leveling mechanics leave something to be desired, but don't get hung up on the details. You play an Elder Scrolls game for the experience of mucking around in a sandbox, taking in interesting quest lines and roleplaying to your hearts content.

You'll likely drop Oblivion when Skyrim rolls around, though. Shiny things and all that. If there is one mod I consider to be essential however, is the Darnified UI. Removes the consolified ui the vanilla game has.

Solo said:
Morrowind was. Oblivion was a large step back in a lot of ways coupled with the most cliche fantasy art design imaginable and the worst character models ever.

Skyrim already rips off Oblivion's head and shits down its neck with its awesome Norse art direction and character models. So its already better than Oblivion in that regard. In 5 days we'll see how the gameplay stacks up.

So you're talking relative to Morrowind, which I never played.

Oblivion was a great game if you're taking it in as a standalone.

Darkman M

matt05891 said:
So tempted to buy the pc and xbox version. Sigh I guess I should wait at least a few weeks or months to buy the pc one. Cheaper and with mods starting to see the light of day.

Why not just the PC version?

I've never encountered a game-breaking bug in Bethesda games, and I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3 and even some Daggerfall lol. Sure, plenty of small glitches but never anything game-breaking.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Dreweyes said:
Reposting for comments & critiques (fast thread is fast):

Hey SkyrimGAF, what do you think of my shirt design for the GAF store? :)

Thanks!

Oh wow those are nice. If someone would be so nice to make an avatar out of the logo for me, I'd really appreciate it.

EviLore said:
Pretty disingenuous to suggest that Bethesda is going with the platform parity line due to caring about PC gamers so much. It's a concession to limited development resources after taking into account platform-specific sales expectations and ROI.
Yeah, that too. But you can't deny that they want as many people to be able to run the game on PC as possible. This isn't a tech showcase like Battlefield 3, Metro, or Crysis. At the same time, this console generation constraints do hold back many PC releases from a new technology standpoint. Resources have to be split due to projected sales on the consoles, that are in a ton of houses at this point in the cycle.

bengraven

It's funny.

When Oblivion was still not announced I would hang out at the TES boards. My god, Morrowind was a fucking piece of shit according to the vocal minority there. Think NMA quality piece of shit. "Whenever they announce Oblivion, I can only hope it matches the glory that was Daggerfall".

Long lists of boycotting Oblivion before anyone knew the game even existed or was called Oblivion (it was assumed so since Beth was on record saying they were going to call TES3 "Oblivion" and IV and "ivion", yeah.).

After Oblivion was announced it became even more vocal. It seemed like everyone wanted Daggerfall back.

Then close to the launch of Oblivion, maybe when everyone was doing a Morrowind playthrough in advance, people warmed a bit on Morrowind. A few months after it was released, around the time I stopped visiting the forums, Morrowind was suddenly not only "underrated" but the crown jewel of the TES line. A thought that's only increased until now most people realize how great Morrowind was.

Of course, with Skyrim coming, a pattern didn't start as people are still saying Morrowind was the great game and they hope Skyrim is the next Morrowind, but I was just remembering the flip flop of pre-2005. ha

Piggus

matt05891 said:
Friends and such on the 360. As well as I enjoy the achievements on there... unfortunately.

There's no multiplayer though. :p Why not enjoy the benefits of the PC version now and then get the 360 version for cheap later on for the achievements? Personally this is a game where I wouldn't want those kinds of distractions.

spirity said:
I say go for it. Oblivion gets waaay too much flak here than it deserves. Its a stellar game. It hasn't aged well in terms of faces, some of its leveling mechanics leave something to be desired, but don't get hung up on the details. You play an Elder Scrolls game for the experience of mucking around in a sandbox, taking in interesting quest lines and roleplaying to your hearts content.

You'll likely drop Oblivion when Skyrim rolls around, though. Shiny things and all that. If there is one mod I consider to be essential however, is the Darnified UI. Removes the consolified ui the vanilla game has.

details or character is exactly what Oblivion lack and what Skyrim seems to have more of.

Woorloog

Banned
Government-man said:
I've never encountered a game-breaking bug in Bethesda games, and I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3 and even some Daggerfall lol. Sure, plenty of small glitches but never anything game-breaking.
The only game breaker i've ever had in a Bethesda published game was a bug in FONV where saving would crash the game after visiting NCRCF (prison close to Goodsprings) after the... second patch? Was fixed in the patch anyway. Otherwise i rarely, if ever encounter bugs in games, even supposedly bug-riddled ones like New Vegas (strangely, my friend encounters bugs even in extremly polished games) though NV has crashed most of those games (FONV on Xbox, Oblivion on PC and Xbox, others on PC).

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope it's easier to move items this time around. My Frostcrag Spire library is pretty shitty, books fell down everywhere :( I want to be able to move my books so they line up perfectly. It drove me insane in Oblivion.

Also, for those who have the game, is there an equivalent of the Black Horse Courier?

matt05891

Piggus said:
There's no multiplayer though. :p Why not enjoy the benefits of the PC version now and then get the 360 version for cheap later on for the achievements? Personally this is a game where I wouldn't want those kinds of distractions.
I'm about to click buy on steam that last sentence pushed me over the edge. PC it is.

Wallach

Lakitu said:
I hope it's easier to move items this time around. My Frostcrag Spire library is pretty shitty, books fell down everywhere :( I want to be able to move my books so they line up perfectly. It drove me insane in Oblivion.

Also, for those who have the game, is there an equivalent of the Black Horse Courier?

Speaking of which - for any of you that are currently playing, what's the button when using a 360 pad to grab stuff?

Lakitu said:

oh MAN, i hated that in Oblivion. In Morrowind i had the sickest damn set up, i would put skulls underneath my helmet collection and would line them up. I would put a knife under the pillow, all sorts of awesome stuff

I'm turning off notifications during my first playthrough, that's for sure. When I get a new PC, I'm double-dipping on the PC-version of this. 'Til that time, 360 version it is.

Wallach said:
Speaking of which - for any of you that are currently playing, what's the button when using a 360 pad to grab stuff?
I think (I'm not sure anymore) that it's holding down the A-button.

EDIT: You guys just got Blue Ninja'd.

werwequvtcrqx.gif

Fjordson

Wallach said:
Shit, it just slipped my mind. Saw a Pete Hines tweet about it sometime last week. You hold down a button. Can't remember which atm.

I'm glad my only exposure to this game has been the reveal and the E3 trailer. Looking forward to jumping in with no real knowledge (except that I'm going to fuck up some Dragons and steal their Dragonhoods!)

Khezu

bengraven said:
It's funny.

When Oblivion was still not announced I would hang out at the TES boards. My god, Morrowind was a fucking piece of shit according to the vocal minority there. Think NMA quality piece of shit. "Whenever they announce Oblivion, I can only hope it matches the glory that was Daggerfall".

Long lists of boycotting Oblivion before anyone knew the game even existed or was called Oblivion (it was assumed so since Beth was on record saying they were going to call TES3 "Oblivion" and IV and "ivion", yeah.).

After Oblivion was announced it became even more vocal. It seemed like everyone wanted Daggerfall back.

Then close to the launch of Oblivion, maybe when everyone was doing a Morrowind playthrough in advance, people warmed a bit on Morrowind. A few months after it was released, around the time I stopped visiting the forums, Morrowind was suddenly not only "underrated" but the crown jewel of the TES line. A thought that's only increased until now most people realize how great Morrowind was.

Of course, with Skyrim coming, a pattern didn't start as people are still saying Morrowind was the great game and they hope Skyrim is the next Morrowind, but I was just remembering the flip flop of pre-2005. ha

Daggerfall fans hate morrowind, morrowind fans hate oblivion, oblivion fans have poor taste, and no one has ever played arena.

bengraven

Khezu said:
Daggerfall fans hate morrowind, morrowind fans hate oblivion, oblivion fans have poor taste, and no one has ever played arena.

I love all the games...but never found the exit to the first dungeon in Arena.

Still waiting on DFXL to play some more Daggerfall though. I've probably only played 5 hours of that.

Volimar

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Edit: for some reason I thought that was new news, my browser decided to pick a random page when I hit "last".

Also no Gears 3. But who are we kidding, Skyrim is going to win.

Woorloog

Banned
I have both Arena and Daggerfall on this laptop and they both work IIRC, but i never got into playing them. Too old and confusing, not really interested in them either (nor in majority of other old games) even though i love the Elder Scrolls. It is interesting to keep them as mysterious by not playing them. I do not really know their plots and other quests, only what i've read in-game and from Imperial Library.

renitou

Solo said:
The Dark Brotherhood was the only great part of Oblivion for me. It felt like something ripped from a much better game. Im hoping Skyrim can have that kind of quality at all times.
I recall reading something about the person at Bethesda in charge of the Dark Brotherhood quest line being responsible for a larger part of Skyrim's quests as a whole. May have been a pipe dream though.

Rapture

Solo said:
The Dark Brotherhood was the only great part of Oblivion for me. It felt like something ripped from a much better game. Im hoping Skyrim can have that kind of quality at all times.

You know i've been really curious about how the Dark Brotherhood story line is going to work in Skyrim. With all the crazy events that went down in the later parts of the Oblivion's quests im not sure how they can top it! But its been really fun to speculate on haha.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
renitou said:
I recall reading something about the person at Bethesda in charge of the Dark Brotherhood quest line being responsible for a larger part of Skyrim's quests as a whole. May have been a pipe dream though.
You're right, that was said at one point. Hopefully it's true.

that person probably also wrote The Pitt for Fallout 3, because that and the Dark Brotherhood are the only good things Bethesda has designed and written in a looong time

I thought the Thieves Guild wasn't that bad. Especially the last quest.

qwerty2k said:
How newbie friendly is Skyrim likely to be? I played about 3 hours of oblivion but then my 360 broke and i got a ps3 and never rebought it. So I'm basically a newb, like the look of what i see but how important is picking the right race and putting the right stats in the right attributes etc?

It is very newb friendly. It comes with a difficulty slider, and which race you choose isn't that important as long as you pick one that fits with your vision of mage/warrior/stealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom