• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Damnit Damnit Damnit!
This or Zelda. This or Zelda. This or Zelda!!!???

Get this from intkeys.net for 30 bucks, and then get Zelda as well.

If you mean which to play first and are getting both, then flip a coin. Either way is a win. I'd probably lean towards Zelda myself, because I could probably finish it much quicker even with going for close to 100%.

Fjordson

Wallach said:
MHiZm.gif
Lmao. My reaction as well. Makes sense I guess.

Hopefully Skyrim can match New Vegas' greatness (yeah, I loved New Vegas that much).

DatBreh

Banned
Im getting both Skyrim and Zelda on day one. I have an Amazon gift card for Skyrim and want to get the 10 buck off coupon. However i wont be playing it until Bethesda releases at least one round of patches as their games are usually a mess on release. I think Zelda and whatever games i pick up on Black Friday will hold me until that takes place.

pakkit

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Damnit Damnit Damnit!
This or Zelda. This or Zelda. This or Zelda!!!???
Zelda. The price doesn't go down for Nintendo IPs, and there won't be a GOTY rerelease one year down the line like there will be with Skyrim.

I'll bet my testicles that there'll be a "SKYRIM BOMBA" thread with some special deal within 2 weeks after Skyrim releases.

@spirit:

100% agree. I loved FO3, loved NV, and loved the original fallouts. But, NV's biggest problem was the atmosphere was terrible. it didn't feel post-apoc, the NCR/legion war was hugely underwhelming. it really needed some time in the oven to flesh out everything. I wanted to play as legion, not do a few quests and be done with them. I wanted more BoS stuff, more NCR, and a better overworld. The Mojave wasn't really that fun to explore, and the towns weren't too interesting. I was hoping to see huge battles with NCR and legion, or BoS patrols attacking NCR. I wanted to see Caesar lead his legions to victory over the NCR and revive the Eternal Empire of Rome.

Fallout 3 wasn't the best, but, it was fun and revived Fallout. It may have mangled the lore, but, it did capture the feeling of Fallout and how I envisioned the world when I played the originals. i think the problem with NV was it wasn't Van Buren. Unless bethesda and obsidian merge we'll never a get a true Fallout sequel. I await those days, and when it comes it will be glorious. Bethesda and Obsidian working together. Obsidian doing the writing, Bethesda doing the gameplay and exploration.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just stand with me and pray Skyward Sword gets an HD re-release on the Wii U.

Twilight Princess looked terrible on my TV, and it's not how I want to experience a good game.

Rapture

pakkit said:
Zelda. The price doesn't go down for Nintendo IPs, and there won't be a GOTY rerelease one year down the line like there will be with Skyrim.

As hyped as i am for Skyrim i have to agree, If you don't mind waiting that long than i say go for it.

Fjordson

AlimNassor said:
i loved FO3, loved NV, and loved the original fallouts. But, NV's biggest problem was the atmosphere was terrible. it didn't feel post-apoc, the NCR/legion war was hugely underwhelming. it really needed some time in the oven to flesh out everything. I wanted to play as legion, not do a few quests and be done with them. I wanted more BoS stuff, more NCR, and a better overworld. The Mojave wasn't really that fun to explore, and the towns weren't too interesting. I was hoping to see huge battles with NCR and legion, or BoS patrols attacking NCR. I wanted to see Caesar lead his legions to victory over the NCR and revive the Eternal Empire of Rome.
Whaat. The atmosphere was one of my favourite things about that game! Same for the towns (<3 Novac).

And while I do wish the scale of the final battle had been a tad bigger between Legion and NCR, having a bunch of BoS running around doesn't make much sense after they got fucked up at Helios One by the NCR.

BadTaste105 said:
God.. tempted to cancel my MW3 preorder for Skyrim... but then my friends would probably be pissed. wat do?
With Skyrim, you'll never need your friends ever again.

Except to feed you.

Arulan

Diprosalic said:
this makes no sense. Skyrim will only get better with GOTY versions, Bethesda games are a mess at launch. Skyward Sword will deliver day 1.

True. Skyrim will be better over time but that shouldn't take to mean the game should not be played. I've played every main Bethesda game (Elder Scrolls, and Fallout series) at launch and despite some bugs (which imo are somewhat exaggerated, as I've only encountered a few and minor ones which could usually be fixed with a simple reload) they're extremely enjoyable games.

What I meant to say is that, if you're as much a fan of The Legend of Zelda series as The Elder Scrolls, the latter gives can give you 200-300+ hours in a single play through, while Skyward Sword (rumored estimates) place it at 80+.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm so I do have the opportunity to play Oblivion for the first time now. What do you guys think? I guess I probably wouldn't come anywhere close to beating it by the time Skyrim comes out.

ACE 1991

zlatko said:
Get this from intkeys.net for 30 bucks, and then get Zelda as well.

If you mean which to play first and are getting both, then flip a coin. Either way is a win. I'd probably lean towards Zelda myself, because I could probably finish it much quicker even with going for close to 100%.

Is that website legit?

Credo

I'm about to drive myself crazy over whether I should get the 360 or PC version.

I played Morrowind and Oblivion on consoles, loved both of them, and had no problems with either. I like playing on big screens, and I wasn't able to connect my PC to a TV in the past. I still haven't done that up to this point, but I'm able to do it now.

My PC exceeds all of Skyrim's recommended specs, and I know the PC versions of Elder Scrolls games get a lot of praise because of all the mods that are released, so it seems like a no-brainer that I should buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable and play the PC version with a controller on my TV.

For those who play PC games on TV with a 360 controller, is there any kind of input lag or any other issue that detracts from the experience? Should I just go ahead with the PC version and quit worrying about it?

BoobPhysics101 said:
Exactly. If BethSoft cared about PC gamers, they'd offer a ton of PC-centric features and optimizations, ala Witcher 2/Crysis 2. As it stands, BethSoft KNOWS PC gamers will buy the game so they're going to release it as a 'just good enough' console port. Here's hoping they do a somewhat decent job on the PC interface, though.

After the PC Oblivion UI at launch, I don't have faith in that. I'll be nabbing Zelda first, and by the time I'm done with that I fully expect the PC community to have some decent UI mods out for Skyrim ;) It should also give it time to settle in if I should be buying retail for more mod-friendliness, or if I can go ahead with a Steam purchase. IIRC (total hearsay) the steam version of Oblivion was not so mod-friendly at launch (though I understand that the current Steam versions no longer have any issues vs retail).

Solo

Hawkian said:
Hmm so I do have the opportunity to play Oblivion for the first time now. What do you guys think? I guess I probably wouldn't come anywhere close to beating it by the time Skyrim comes out.

Just jam a pencil into your urethra instead. You'll endure the same amount of pain, but it will be over much sooner.

Complistic

Oracle Dragon said:
It should also give it time to settle in if I should be buying retail for more mod-friendliness, or if I can go ahead with a Steam purchase. IIRC (total hearsay) the steam version of Oblivion was not so mod-friendly at launch (though I understand that the current Steam versions no longer have any issues vs retail).

The retail version uses steam. They've also said there won't be any issues modding the game.

Hawkian said:
I'd just wait for Skyrim. If you really like it, and you're tired of it, you can move down the timeline to Oblivion and Morrowind.

Hawkian said:

Solo said:
Just jam a pencil into your urethra instead. You'll endure the same amount of pain, but it will be over much sooner.

Hey now... while I'm not a fan of vanilla / console Oblivion, PC version modded to heck and back is quite an excellent game these days. If that's the one you're playing, I say dive in!

Darkman M

Hawkian said:

Only if you are gonna mod the shit out of it, that might take you a week in itself. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Solo said:

Hmm...
2S4lx.png

How do you rate the experience of jamming a pencil in your urethra, Solo?

Oracle Dragon said:
Hey now... while I'm not a fan of vanilla / console Oblivion, PC version modded to heck and back is quite an excellent game these days. If that's the one you're playing, I say dive in!
Hmm, well I am talking about the PC version.

Darkman M said:
Only if you are gonna mod the shit out of it, that might take you a week in itself. :)
Lol it's that complicated? Maybe I will hold off.

bengraven

This isn't a response to Solo above, but I was just going to comment to an early poster that I have never ever had a bad first day, week, months experience with an Elder Scrolls game...hell, a Bethesda game period. I think in my experience with the last decade of playing Beth games, I've probably suffered maybe 5 glitches. Maybe 2 of those were major, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by reloading my save.

Leaving Seyda Neen for that first time was literally like entering another country and just having this place to explore, be nice to people, and steal every fucking thing that wasn't bolted down.

Oblivion was the thieves guild on Night 1 of playing and it was one of my favorite moments playing a game of stealth.

Fallout 3, leaving the vault and missing the sign to Megaton and ending up south along a highway into a crumbled part of the city and three raiders that murdered me...then reloading and taking it slower and then dying and then removing the highest difficulty setting so I could enjoy exploring...only to find my way to Megaton by accident.

I really fucking love these games.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
bengraven said:
This isn't a response to Solo above, but I was just going to comment to an early poster that I have never ever had a bad first day, week, months experience with an Elder Scrolls game...hell, a Bethesda game period. I think in my experience with the last decade of playing Beth games, I've probably suffered maybe 5 glitches. Maybe 2 of those were major, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by reloading my save.

Leaving Seyda Neen for that first time was literally like entering another country and just having this place to explore, be nice to people, and steal every fucking thing that wasn't bolted down.

Oblivion was the thieves guild on Night 1 of playing and it was one of my favorite moments playing a game of stealth.

Fallout 3, leaving the vault and missing the sign to Megaton and ending up south along a highway into a crumbled part of the city and three raiders that murdered me...then reloading and taking it slower and then dying and then removing the highest difficulty setting so I could enjoy exploring...only to find my way to Megaton by accident.

Thank you. God people are such babies about the supposed glitches. The phrase "Bethesda games are always a mess on day 1" gets thrown around on GAF like a fact. So fucking exaggerated.

Rapstah

So none of these pre-ordered or accidentally-sold-too-earlily versions have been the PC one? I want details on those graphics.

Lakitu

st5fu
I love Oblivion. Yes, it's flawed. The usual suspects like level / item scaling, repetitive dungeons and it's probably the most bland Bethesda-created world (by no means a huge flaw though) but damn is it good. I've spent 300+ hours on that game, and still I have things to do on it. I've put it away for a bit because of a glitch (a forger not showing up for a quest in the Thieves Guild) but even after Skyrim, I'll definitely be going back to it and my home at Frostcrag Spire. :)

Solo said:

holy shit man, you put the oblivion game disc in the machine, not up your junk. No wonder you had such a hard time enjoying the game...

Rapture

bengraven said:

Thank You. Even with all the hate that gets thrown around in this thread sometimes, i think this is how we all feel and that's why we're here. I love these games and Skyrim is going to be another great installment.

Solo

Scullibundo said:
Stop right there, criminal scum! Oblivion was great. GREAT.

Morrowind was. Oblivion was a large step back in a lot of ways coupled with the most cliche fantasy art design imaginable and the worst character models ever.

Skyrim already rips off Oblivion's head and shits down its neck with its awesome Norse art direction and character models. So its already better than Oblivion in that regard. In 5 days we'll see how the gameplay stacks up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let's see... on the one hand, it's kind of a big undertaking, I'd definitely want to mod it to a more recent standard, and I don't have that much time before Skyrim...

On the other hand, I tend to love things Solo is hyperbolically against.

DatBreh

Banned
Emerson said:
Thank you. God people are such babies about the supposed glitches. The phrase "Bethesda games are always a mess on day 1" gets thrown around on GAF like a fact. So fucking exaggerated.

Since you quoted me im assuming you are talking about my post. Well i for one have experienced glitches in both Oblivion and Fallout 3 day one, so im not just repeating things ive seen others say. Im still buying the game but if i can afford to wait a month or 2 to let the more common bugs get ironed out i dont see the problem.

Rapstah said:
So none of these pre-ordered or accidentally-sold-too-earlily versions have been the PC one? I want details on those graphics.

I believe even if a PC version was sold early, it would still be locked on Steam, so that person would still not have access to it until 11/11/11. I may be wrong.

Solo

The Dark Brotherhood was the only great part of Oblivion for me. It felt like something ripped from a much better game. Im hoping Skyrim can have that kind of quality at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom