• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the unusual manner in which you pick up some of the quests - so far I've got quests from
reading random books, stealing from someone's house (they then put a hit out on me) and using my dragon shouts in public (someone saw me use a shout and sent an anonymous letter by courier telling me about some ruins of interest to dragonborn, which I'm off to explore now)

Lafiel said:
For those who are playing it, how is the combat in comparison to oblivion?

It's pretty Oblivion-esque, except with a wider variety of power moves and more scope for comboing attacks with weapons/spells in each hand. Also, the kill animations make the camera go into a cinematic 3rd person view, much like Fallout 3/New Vegas would when you finished someone off.

Darkgran

Bootaaay said:
I love the unusual manner in which you pick up some of the quests - so far I've got quests from
reading random books, stealing from someone's house (they then put a hit out on me) and using my dragon shouts in public (someone saw me use a shout and sent an anonymous letter by courier telling me about some ruins of interest to dragonborn, which I'm off to explore now)

This sounds absolutely phenomenal. Holy cow!!!

TheLegendary said:
I did not like New Vegas.

tumblr_lhbll1B0ET1qayhrz.jpg

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
How are people playing this already? I feel left out :(

Only made it halfway through. The dialogue was much better than 3 but the story was a piece of shit. The game just didnt grab me the way 3 did (or Oblivion for that matter). Not to mention losing your progress every two seconds before the patches made the whole experience unpleasant. It's like a battered wife, even if it's fixed I still feel like Im going to be smacked in the back of the head any time I play it.

I'll keep it Skyrim focused though. I expect to like this better than New Vegas

Peterthumpa

TheLegendary said:
Only made it halfway through. The dialogue was much better than 3 but the story was a piece of shit. The game just didnt grab me the way 3 did (or Oblivion for that matter). Not to mention losing your progress every two seconds before the patches made the whole experience unpleasant.
Boooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh, banned.

ironcreed

Banned
Bootaaay said:

Yeah, this game just keeps sounding better and better.

bengraven

God, that's all I ever want: an always loaded quest log.

Bootaaay said:
Just bought my first house - it's in Whiterun, the first major city. Seems pretty small for the price (5000 + 1750 on upgrades), but the upgrades include an alchemy lab, which suits my Bosmer fine;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0135.jpg

Also, like the Presidential Suite in New Vegas, your companions hang out at your house when they aren't journeying with you.

I was just about to ask about houses. Have you seen any other ones? If you have some time or run past one in your journey, can you show pics?

Does each major town only have one (so 5 house) or are there multiple ones or ones in smaller towns? Farms?

Sorry for the questions on something retarded, but this interests me. Also totally awesome that your companions chill at your house when you're not using them. I hated how in FO3 they went off to a default area while in NV they stayed in your apartment.

Dreweyes

Reposting for comments & critiques (fast thread is fast):

Hey SkyrimGAF, what do you think of my shirt design for the GAF store? :)
Dreweyes said:
Okay so here is the updated Skyrim design! My body is ready for 11.11.11!

F7KjV.png

RX8JZ.png
Piercedveil said:
Oh my.. I want this now. You're too good at designing these shirts!
Thanks!

projekt84

Bootaaay said:

I find this incredibly awesome.

Lakitu

st5fu
Bootaaay - Where would be a good place to store loot if you don't have a house? It'll take a while for me to save up those pennies for one.

V-Gief

As someone who's most recent playthrough of a TES game was Daggerfall, how viable are melee characters compared to casters? Would be nice to try out a melee character for once, getting tired of playing a pansy fingerwaggler all the time haha.

Loxley

Bah, I caved and pre-ordered the hardcover strategy guide for no real reason other than to have it around. If nothing else, it'll look pretty.

LuchaShaq

Banned
TheLegendary said:
I did not like New Vegas.

Ditto. Explored every last thing in Fallout 3/Fallout 3 DLC and loved 95% of it.

Didn't even pass 20 hours of new Vegas and regretted my time with it, hated the characters and how the world was laid out.

Trickster

zmoney said:
If mods can do this kind of thing...why can't the guys being paid to make the game do this to start with?

They probably could and would if they didn't have to worry about console restrictions ( see TW2 )

Roche

Bootaaay said:

Damn you! Every day the wait gets worse despite the big day drawing closer, this just made me somehow even more excited.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
zmoney said:
If mods can do this kind of thing...why can't the guys being paid to make the game do this to start with?

I often wonder the same.

I guess because they have to save time by using the same art assets on PC and console.

Crazetex

The shirt design looks absolutely amazing. I'll probably get one.

Also, Bethesda managed to make Restoration perks badass. You can be a pro exorcist that RUNS FOREVER due to fast magicka recharge/stamina healing. (Stamina restoration is no longer separate, but tied to healing via a perk).

Conjuration just sounds simply ridiculously amazing though. I'm totally playing a Dunmer necromancer with conjured swords.

Derrick01

Banned
Bootaaay said:

this is probably the best thing I've read about the game. I need to stop highlighting spoilers.

Jb

TheLegendary said:
Only made it halfway through. The dialogue was much better than 3 but the story was a piece of shit. The game just didnt grab me the way 3 did (or Oblivion for that matter). Not to mention losing your progress every two seconds before the patches made the whole experience unpleasant. It's like a battered wife, even if it's fixed I still feel like Im going to be smacked in the back of the head any time I play it.

I'll keep it Skyrim focused though. I expect to like this better than New Vegas
How are the quests so far? Interesting? Varied?

Lakitu said:
Bootaaay - Where would be a good place to store loot if you don't have a house? It'll take a while for me to save up those pennies for one.

If you join up to a guild (like the Companions, who are the equivalent of the Fighter's Guild) you can store stuff in the chests in the guild sleeping quarters.

bengraven said:
God, that's all I ever want: an always loaded quest log.

Same here, currently I've got 15 quests open ^_^

bengraven said:
I was just about to ask about houses. Have you seen any other ones? If you have some time or run past one in your journey, can you show pics?

Does each major town only have one (so 5 house) or are there multiple ones or ones in smaller towns? Farms?

The only major city I've been to is Whiterun (but that's about to change), which only has one house to buy as far as I can tell. Also, before I could buy it I had to
be named a 'Thane' of the city by doing a bunch of quests for the Jarl of the city
. The stats page indicates that there's businesses you can invest in too.

As soon as I find some more houses for sale I'll take some photos for you.

Marco1

vatstep said:
I did some searching, and I guess the reason why the 360 version is accessing the disc after installation is because of the new disc format they're using for some (eventually all, I'm assuming) games. So I guess 3.8GB IS the full install then. Gears of War 3 apparently does the same thing (haven't played it yet myself).
This is correct, forza 4 does it also.

Squire

Banned
For the record: I know there are fundamental differences between Fallout and ES, and that NV is an Obsidian game. Personally, I have a bad history with open-world RPGs. I didn't get through NV or DX: Human Revolution recently. Hopefully that explains my post.

Derrick01

Banned
Inorigo said:
For the record: I know there are fundamental differences between Fallout and ES, and that NV is an Obsidian game. Personally, I have a bad history with open-world RPGs. I didn't get through NV or DX: Human Revolution recently. Hopefully that explains my post.

You need to correct this asap!

Crazetex

I have a minor question: how does storage seem to work in this game? Can you keep stuff in guild containers without it disappearing?

EDIT: oh hey answer already beat

Zeliard

Inorigo said:

Well, outside of certain aspects of Fallout 3, looking at Oblivion is probably your best bet for what to expect from Skyrim (with hopefully more than a few hints of Morrowind).

LuchaShaq said:
Ditto. Explored every last thing in Fallout 3/Fallout 3 DLC and loved 95% of it.

Didn't even pass 20 hours of new Vegas and regretted my time with it, hated the characters and how the world was laid out.

I'm in the same camp...sorta. I didn't exactly regret the experience, but I quickly became bored. I think it had more to do with playing the shit out of Fallout 3 and needing a gaming palette cleanser at the time.

Really, I would love to dive back into NV, but I have a feeling it will remain on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

Wazzim

Banned
Trickster said:
They probably could and would if they didn't have to worry about console restrictions ( see TW2 )
So dumb, what are all the guys in the PC programming department doing then? They could at least release a graphics patch or something but nooo

DatBreh

Banned
Trickster said:

Its not just console restrictions. They want people with less that desirable PCs to be able to buy the game as well.

iNvid02

CousinLump said:
I'm in the same camp...sorta. I didn't exactly regret the experience, but I quickly became bored. I think it had more to do with playing the shit out of Fallout 3 and needing a gaming palette cleanser at the time.

Really, I would love to dive back into NV, but I have a feeling it will remain on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

this is so true for me, a friend told me to get fallout 3 so i took his advice and moved away from COD for a bit and was hooked. Had big hopes for NV but something didn't feel right, i didn't feel that fallout 3 atmosphere in new vegas.
i completed it, it was good but i didnt have any urge to carry on exploring or anything so i left it there.

Lakitu

st5fu
Bootaaay said:
If you join up to a guild (like the Companions, who are the equivalent of the Fighter's Guild) you can store stuff in the chests in the guild sleeping quarters.

Thanks. Going to make sure I join a guild right away. I need to store my precious loot somewhere without fear of the container resetting.

Luthos

I never understood the "there can't be a demo for this type of game" statement.

Can't they just put us in a cave/mini-dungeon that has enemies, but just not allow us to leave?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Loxley said:
Bah, I caved and pre-ordered the hardcover strategy guide for no real reason other than to have it around. If nothing else, it'll look pretty.
I'm trying to keep myself from doing the same. I haven't bought a strategy guide in about 15 years otherwise.

Derrick01

Banned
Luthos said:

Can't they just put us in a cave/mini-dungeon that has enemies, but just not allow us to leave?

They could but that would defeat the purpose of showing off what the game does. The best way would probably be giving you 30 minutes and giving you the whole world but that can be abused by playing multiple times and doing different things each time.

FHIZ

Luthos said:

I think a demo can be made of this, and any game for that matter, but I think the real question would be if there is any way to make a demo for a game like Skyrim thy does it justice.

GhaleonEB

I was talking with my daughter about Skyrim - she has Friday off school, I'm taking a vacation day - telling her about the resurrection (undead mud crabs ahoy). She asked, "What happens if I resurrect a zombie? Is is un-undead? A zombified zombie?"

I want to find out. :lol

Pollux

I've had New Vegas on my shelf for a LONG fucking time. Y'all just convinced me to pop it in to kill time until Skryim. I'll be back with impressions in a couple hours. Any tips for someone whose about to start the game for the first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom