• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

FuzzyNorman said:
Is there a specific race I should choose if I want to be a battlemage type character?

Up to you really. Each race gets one +10 skill bonus, and four +5 skill bonuses. Then they have up to three racial traits that are either active or passive powers. There's a list of those here if you want to see them:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1250759-full-list-of-racial-bonuses/

That should help you decide if you have a rough idea of what skills you'll want to be using, if you aren't going to pick just based on race looks/lore alone.

MrBig

EviLore said:
My understanding is that the people citing the ISO size are wrong in assuming that those are all usable files, and the 3.8GB is a full install.
Yes, the extra space seems to be padding.
It still doesn't make sense though. The PS3 and PC versions both have a larger file size.

Derrick01

Banned
Ceebs said:
Sure it can. Two Worlds 2 had a demo. Just restrict you to a small part of the map.

The difference is there really wasn't anything to do in the full game of TW2 :p. Plus there were islands seperating you from seeing the full game immediately which there isn't in Skyrim. You can't have a demo of a game where the whole point is to go where you want and do what you want and restrict players.

Complistic

FuzzyNorman said:
For the new page

I'm thinking the old battle mage is going to be overshadowed by a warrior focused character since shouts accomplish similar things that magic used to for battlemages.

Just pure speculation, but as far as optimizations go, focusing it all in your damage and just relying on shouts in place of your magic just feels like it's going to be better.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've done the unthinkable: cancelled my Skyrim pre-order. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion, and as awesome as Skyrim looks, I want to wait to hear impressions from GAF. If it really does feel fresh and significantly improved over Oblivion, I'll get it. And I may as well wait for a price drop / Steam sale, too.

In the mean time, I picked up New Vegas on Steam. My first time playing it. It's pretty damn good so far, but the drab environments make me long for Skyrim, hah.

Derrick01 said:
The difference is there really wasn't anything to do in the full game of TW2 :p. Plus there were islands seperating you from seeing the full game immediately which there isn't in Skyrim. You can't have a demo of a game where the whole point is to go where you want and do what you want and restrict players.

Don't be a dick, dude. You can have a demo of any game, it's very easy.

zlatko

Banned
omg.kittens said:
I've done the unthinkable: cancelled my Skyrim pre-order. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion, and as awesome as Skyrim looks, I want to wait to hear impressions from GAF. If it really does feel fresh and significantly improved over Oblivion, I'll get it. And I may as well wait for a price drop / Steam sale, too.

In the mean time, I picked up New Vegas on Steam. My first time playing it. It's pretty damn good so far, but the drab environments make me long for Skyrim, hah.

TKBJk.png

Derrick01 said:
They can restrict me all they want. Invisible walls. The sole reason I want the demo is to see if I can run it well. Nothing else, lol. Guess I'll just use other means to demo it first.

Ghost23

Complistic said:
I'm thinking the old battle mage is going to be overshadowed by a warrior focused character since shouts accomplish similar things that magic used to for battlemages.

Just pure speculation, but as far as optimizations go, focusing it all in your damage and just relying on shouts in place of your magic just feels like it's going to be better.

You may be right. Shouts somewhat take the magic (no pun intended) away from being a mage.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:

Just Cause 2 had a demo.

Drazgul

Complistic said:

Yeah I'll let dragon shouts handle my offensive side of spellcasting; I just want utility spells from the spell schools, so Alteration/Illusion/Restoration (if there's still fortify x buffs, that is) for me.

Echoplx

omg.kittens said:

Good choice, Obsidian can actually make interesting characters and quests.

Ceebs

omg.kittens said:

I am buying it because I am craving a new RPG beyond all measure. I think vanilla Oblivion is a pretty awful game in all regards, and merely average about 4 gigs of mods later. So I am actually interested in seeing what I think about Skyrim myself. I already know that I dislike the attribute condensing down to 3, the fact the actual skill tree stuff looks like it was designed by the same people who made those awful flash websites 5-8 years ago that were beyond annoying to use.

If they make an interesting world to explore I think I will be at least satisfied, if there is an actual good RPG under that I will be more than happy to say I was wrong.

sdornan

There is no way that the Xbox 360 discs have 5GB of padding. I'm almost positive that the 3.8GB install is only part of the game.

Remember how Halo 3 was designed to be streamed from the disc and would actually exhibit worse performance when installed? It's possibly something similar to that.

One of those recent Xbox 360 dashboard updates that don't seem to do anything might be responsible for implementing the install logic for Skyrim specifically.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I did some searching, and I guess the reason why the 360 version is accessing the disc after installation is because of the new disc format they're using for some (eventually all, I'm assuming) games. So I guess 3.8GB IS the full install then. Gears of War 3 apparently does the same thing (haven't played it yet myself).

aegies

FuzzyNorman said:
You may be right. Shouts somewhat take the magic (no pun intended) away from being a mage.

You can't use shouts often enough for them to be a regular offensive option. The cooldown time for unrelenting force is minimum 12 seconds, before it's powered up at all.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Can't believe the bullshit I'm seeing in this thread. Anyone who seriously thinks Skyrim looks no better than Oblivion is a straight up idiot.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I want to mainly focus on hand-to-hand (sword and shield) plus magic. Whats the best race for that?
I thought you wanted to focus on fisticuffs first. :lol

I'd suggest either a Dark Elf or an Imperial. Dark Elves get a bonus in destruction magic, too.

arg! Arkham City is 39.99 on steam and Skyrim is 59.99, both are GOTY candidates so why is Skyrim so expensive...
For a PC game

syllogism

sdornan said:
There is no way that the Xbox 360 discs have 5GB of padding. I'm almost positive that the 3.8GB install is only part of the game.

Remember how Halo 3 was designed to be streamed from the disc and would actually exhibit worse performance when installed? It's possibly something similar to that.

One of those recent Xbox 360 dashboard updates that don't seem to do anything might be responsible for implementing the install logic for Skyrim specifically.
If you convert the dvd image to the format that allows jtag systems to play the game without the dvd, the resulting container is apparently approximately 3.8gb

Owzers

sdornan said:

Does that mean my Xbox 360 is going to sound like a jet engine even if the game is installed?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
sdornan said:

How almost positive are you? 99.9999%? ;b

As syll says, it's confirmed by the pirate community, and Bethesda reps didn't refute the 3.8GB game size figure, rather explaining that the game is really "optimized."

http://www.gamezone.com/news/skyrim-xbox-360-install-size-revealed
The install size is shockingly small for a game as massive as Skyrim, but the VP of PR and Marketing at Bethesda Pete Hines has continue to defend that "content doesn't take lots more space if you know how to build an open world game, which we do."

Pete Hines has attributed the small install size to Skyrim being "more optimized than we've ever had before. And faster." According to Pete, the better optimization is a result of a "new engine & we're much better at compression (art/voice/data)."

Despite how much Pete Hines tries to reason with fans worrying how such a massive game can fit on a small install, I won't be complaining. As Pete Hines recalls about the install size of the previous Elder Scrolls, "Oblivion was, what, 4.something? Did it have more content than these games being mentioned that have 2x or 3x the install?"

Unity2012 said:
I am still confused about the 360's 3.8GB install. Really? just that?

I am not the most technical of them all but, how does it work? For a game this big, wouldn't it affect performance by constantly pulling info from the disk? Defeating the purpose of installing it... As long as it works fine, looks fine, runs decent... I am in.

I am just honestly curious to know how they did it, sorry. I hope someone can explain how it works.

Well Morrowind back in the day for xbox was only 700mb or so which I couldn't believe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has Bethesda commented on how long it will take for the TESV CS to come out?

Wallach

I wonder why they weren't able to shrink the PS3 install if they were able to get the 360 one down. Then again I guess the PS3 has never received quite as much attention from them.

neoemonk

arts&crafts said:
arg! Arkham City is 39.99 on steam and Skyrim is 59.99, both are GOTY candidates so why is Skyrim so expensive...
For a PC game

I thought Arkham City was only $40 on Steam if you have Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman on Steam as well.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
sillymonkey321 said:
which of course i don't. Xo Installing games on my non-slim drastically reduces system noise.
It should still only be accessing the disc occasionally instead of all the time, which is a big improvement over not installing.

neoemonk said:
I thought Arkham City was only $40 on Steam if you have Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman on Steam as well.

ah that makes sense as I have Arkham Asylum, but I also have Oblivion so I should save on Skyrim! I will still be there day 1.

Salz01

I'm a quasi skyrim newbie. Can you enchant your weapons with magic properties, and is there a day night cycle?

painey said:
sorry if its already been asked/answered, but are the telepathic guards still in this?

Pretty sure someone confirmed that they won't know unless they actually SEE you commit a crime, which is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom