• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
vatstep said:
I knew Bethesda would knock this out of the park, but still, this is music to my ears. Oblivion is one of the few games where I was still awed by the beauty of things (not the characters... mostly landscape-wise) after years of playing it. Can't wait to experience Skyrim.

After seeing Shivering Isle's sky at night, it was obvious Skyrim's would be even better.

Unity2012

I am still confused about the 360's 3.8GB install. Really? just that?

I am not the most technical of them all but, how does it work? For a game this big, wouldn't it affect performance by constantly pulling info from the disk? Defeating the purpose of installing it... As long as it works fine, looks fine, runs decent... I am in.

I am just honestly curious to know how they did it, sorry. I hope someone can explain how it works.

Unity2012 said:

I am not the most technical of them all but, how does it work? For a game this big, wouldn't it affect performance by constantly pulling info from the disk? As long as it works fine, looks fine, runs decent... I am in.

I am just honestly curious to know how they did it, sorry. I hope someone can explain how it works.

Ditto. Seems weird to me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Unity2012 said:

I am not the most technical of them all but, how does it work? For a game this big, wouldn't it affect performance by constantly pulling info from the disk? Defeating the purpose of installing it... As long as it works fine, looks fine, runs decent... I am in.

I don't get it either. I'd really like to hear some sort of explanation from Bethesda, just for clarification. Isn't the whole point of installing the game to eliminate all disc access? Are there any other games that don't install the entire disc? It seems odd.

Smokey

Hmm...for as much hype as this game was getting it seems a little quiet in the OT. I expected more than 1.8k posts a few days before the release of one of the biggest games of the year...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Unity2012 said:

My understanding is that the people citing the ISO size are wrong in assuming that those are all usable files, and the 3.8GB is a full install.

GhaleonEB

Smokey said:
Hmm...for as much hype as this game was getting it seems a little quiet in the OT. I expected more than 1.8k posts a few days before the release of one of the biggest games of the year...
Nearly 2,000 posts in two days is slow? Thread is going to be 1/3 of the way maxed out before the game hits.

Vire

Smokey said:
Considering we can't post Youtube links or streams. Or even talk about spoilers - there isn't exactly much to talk about.

Other than HYPPPPEE.

2000 posts a day, is no slouch either...

Smokey said:

If there was more authorized media to talk about maybe activity would pick up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Smokey said:

No reviews yet (embargo), and only a few people actually have the game, what do you expect?

Wallach

EviLore said:
My understanding is that the people citing the ISO size are wrong in assuming that those are all usable files, and the 3.8GB is a full install.

Why would the PS3 mandatory install be larger than the 360's full data copy, though? On PS3 it's a 5.5GB install. Doesn't seem right.

Piercedveil said:
Bootaaay, could you possibly post a picture of the premium map that came with the game? :D

Here you go;

DSC_0126.jpg

It's a bit misleading that they initially called it a 'cloth map', as it's made from rough paper. Not very premium, but it says right on the back of the box "premium map inside", so that must be it :/

Couple more random screens;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0125.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0122.jpg

zlatko

Banned
Without spoilers, can someone who has it given an impression of the story telling for both the main story and any side quests they've undertook?

Is it well voiced, scripted, and paced? Does the main story set itself up quite well or is it loose at the start ?

Khezu

Wallach said:
Why would the PS3 mandatory install be larger than the 360's full data copy, though? On PS3 it's a 5.5GB install. Doesn't seem right.

Aren't ps3 games usually just bigger in general because of all that blue ray nonsense?

Also nice sword bootaaay, what type is it?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I keep changing what class/character I want to play.

Last night I wanted to be a wood elf hunter.
Today I want to be a warrior.

:( I need this game

DangerStepp

I'm ready for Bethesda's patented "grand moment where the door to the beautiful over-world is opened" moment. I might pee.

I expect DennisK4 to gif it.

nastynate409 said:
Does anyone know if there is a demo planned for PC? I'd like to play it on the PC, but I want to be sure I can run it well before I invest.
Good question. You would think it would have already been released by now, huh?

Dennis

Banned
Thief/assassin mage here.

Though I have to say that the Nordic Warrior character from all the trailers look really badass.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
EviLore said:
But if 3.8GB is the full install, why does the 360 occasionally read from the disc? I've installed and played through 20-25 games on my 360 and I have never once heard one access the disc during play. It just seems weird that the disc would need to be accessed if that's the full install.

Wallach

Khezu said:
Aren't ps3 games usually just bigger in general because of all that blue ray nonsense?

I went looking around, and apparently F:NV is a 4.5GB install on 360 and a 5GB install on PS3. Somehow that went down on 360 but up on PS3 in comparison.

Tobor

vatstep said:
But if 3.8GB is the full install, why does the 360 occasionally read from the disc? I've installed and played through 20-25 games on my 360 and I have never once heard one access the disc during play. It just seems weird that the disc would need to be accessed if that's the full install.

Do we have confirmation it's accessing the disc after an install?

Lakitu said:
The first looks like
Windhelm
. Have you been inside yet?
The second is amazing. I expect people to be bitching about the ground textures though. Paging DennisK4...

Nope, it's
High Hrothgar, a monastery up in the mountains

Khezu said:
Also nice sword bootaaay, what type is it?

It's a
'Falmer Sword', they're weird snow elf enemies. They have some cool looking armour too

Piercedveil said:
Thank you. Were there 2 maps in the box? I read that premium maps come with pre-orders and paper ones come with ALL games. So pre-orders would get both, right?

All I know is that on the back of my case it says "Premium physical map inside" and I just got the one map.

Bootaaay said:
Nope, it's
High Hrothgar, a monastery up in the mountains

It's a
'Falmer Sword', they're weird snow elf enemies. They have some cool looking armour too

All I know is that on the back of my case it says "Premium physical map inside" and I just got the one map.

That's so weird. I guess I'll see when I get my copy from Amazon.

Unity2012 said:

Didn't Alan wake also had like 3 gig of game data.

probably a shit load of procedural stuff being made when the game is run. I know for a fact they generate their snow textures procedural. And no prerendered cutscenes should also save a shit load of space.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Newer game releases on the 360 access the disc right off the bat and then stop about 5 minutes in. It probably has to do with the disc format change. The 360 does not read from the disc on an install.

Derrick01

Banned
nastynate409 said:
Does anyone know if there is a demo planned for PC? I'd like to play it on the PC, but I want to be sure I can run it well before I invest.

Nope. You can't really do a demo of a game like this anyway, it wouldn't work.

Wallach said:
I went looking around, and apparently F:NV is a 4.5GB install on 360 and a 5GB install on PS3. Somehow that went down on 360 but up on PS3 in comparison.

dont they use other sound codecs for ps3 higher quality ones?

Mrbob

No blocking with two weapons? Hopefully a mod fixes that.

I'd also like to be a character one day that is as fast as a ninja, running around these worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom