• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

vhfive

Alright HaloGAF just got a kindle and I figure now is a good time to read these Halo books. So which ones should I read and which ones should I skip?

vhfive said:
Alright HaloGAF just got a kindle and I figure now is a good time to read these Halo books. So which ones should I read and which ones should I skip?

Skip The Flood, read the other ones. Fall of Reach was amazing. I didnt really enjoy The Cole Protocol and Contact Harvest as much as the others. The stories in Evolution's is well worth a read.

EDIT: But read them after the 4 books Dani mentioned.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
vhfive said:

Fall of Reach -> First Strike -> Ghosts of Onyx -> Glasslands

Those four books will bring you up to speed in that order.

Then maybe try some Evolutions - lots of sweet short stories. And Contact Harvest - the best standalone Halo novel.

I would suggest Cryptum too but it's part one of a trilogy and you'll be left hanging until the rest are published.

The Cole Protocol is nice for some Keyes backstory if you want it but it's a bit flat and the Flood is a novelisation of the first Halo game - totally skippable.

vhfive said:

I think The flood is pretty skipable; I personally don't hate it but most stuff isn't new and is just what you play in Halo CE.

The books I'd recommend are The fall of Reach, First strike, Ghost of Onyx, Contact Harvest and Evolutions.

I liked all Halo books but these are the ones I enjoyed most.

Finally got to listen to the Sparkcast. What was the final prognosis on Dan Ayoub's tapeworm (or lack thereof)?

Also seems a little strange that the matchmaking algorithm had to be re-worked to increase the DLC pairings. Seems like that should have been a no-brainer, but I know little to nothing on how all that behind-the-curtains stuff actually works.

vhfive said:
Skip : The Cole Protocol

Recommended: The Fall of Reach
Cryptum
Contact Harvest
Evolutions
Ghosts of Onyx

Unsure : Glasslands (too soon for me to judge, but has Halo 4 bits)
First Strike (not hugely important, fills in a few gaps e.g. what happened to Master Chief after he blew up the Pillar of Aututmn)
The Flood (unimportant, but has some nice Flood stuff)

squidhands said:
Finally got to listen to the Sparkcast. What was the final prognosis on Dan Ayoub's tapeworm (or lack thereof)?
We should be finding out later today. :lol

umadcod.jpg

umad

Reach was good today. Got my first Reach ffa perfection (in the first game) and got a dirty overkill in snipes too. Need Prisoner classic gameplay now.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
squidhands said:

Also seems a little strange that the matchmaking algorithm had to be re-worked to increase the DLC pairings. Seems like that should have been a no-brainer, but I know little to nothing on how all that behind-the-curtains stuff actually works.

Dan has a doctor's apointment today. I think we actually made him paranoid about Kobayashi.

It actually makes perfect sense that we'd need to adjust the matchmaking search options to increase DLC pairings. Without going into too much detail the system had been set up to weight connection speed above all other considerations. What we've done is slightly lower that weighting while increasing the consideration for DLC and skill levels.

thee henery said:
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/zhenery/umadcod.jpg

umad

Reach was good today. Got my first Reach ffa perfection (in the first game) and got a dirty overkill in snipes too. Need Prisoner classic gameplay now.

Im not sure im a fan of the fridge or tshirt, :p but I am pretty jelous of the game you have in your hands.

vhfive

Slightly Live said:
Fall of Reach -> First Strike -> Ghosts of Onyx -> Glasslands

Those four books will bring you up to speed in that order.

Then maybe try some Evolutions - lots of sweet short stories. And Contact Harvest - the best standalone Halo novel.

I would suggest Cryptum too but it's part one of a trilogy and you'll be left hanging until the rest are published.

The Cole Protocol is nice for some Keyes backstory if you want it but it's a bit flat and the Flood is a novelisation of the first Halo game - totally skippable.
thanks everyone
I guess I'll start with those and stay far away from The Flood.
I'll wait on the forerunners trilogy until its complete. I hate waiting for the next book in a series to come out.
damn you Game of Thrones

GhaleonEB

Speaking of books...I hit a wall 200 pages into Cryptum yesterday.

So, the Didact and his three buddies meet a fellow old dude in his decaying fortress ship. Then they leave and head down to the planet. Only they get ambushed along the way, ship destroyed, captured.

I don't know what they were looking for, why it was important, who captured them, why, why the old buddy betrayed them, or have the slightest idea what is going on.

The mentions of the Ark, Flood and the appearance (oddly timely) of a Halo ring are welcome bits of familiarity to latch onto,
but the narrative has be absolutely bewildered. It might be a while before I pick it up again; it's been a very long time since I read a book that cared so little about supplying context for the events it's describing.

Cryptum came highly recommended so I don't see myself picking up any subsequent books at this point. It's been a hugely frustrating read.

I'm using the talk about Thee henery's fridge to draw attention to the Monster Energy competition. If you are Halo-fan(obiviously every cool Halo competition is nearly US only and it is understandable. Unfortunately sigh), you can win Xbox 360 250gb with Halo CEA, 12 Gold Membership...

and...

wait for it...

and a cool looking Halo CEA fridge? Nice, right? Yeah.

The hitch: It is a Facebook competition. If you want to take part, here you go.

vhfive said:
Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) -> Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein) -> 2001 (Arthur C. Clarke) -> Ringworld (Larry Niven)

GhaleonEB said:
I don't know what they were looking for, why it was important, who captured them, why, why the old buddy betrayed them, or have the slightest idea what is going on.
That feels very intentional.
Bornstellar is almost as clue-less, the humans most definetely so.
I really think you should just sit down and finish the book in an hour or two. Just to put it to bed and see how you ultimately feel about it.

I did feel very similarly mind, it is paced very confusingly and is especially slow for the first 2/3s of the book, before things come together.

Ultimately, I'm glad it's not as cookie cutter action adventure as the other books have been. I enjoyed having to stop and try to parse what was really going on.

lybertyboy said:
Dan has a doctor's apointment today. I think we actually made him paranoid about Kobayashi.

It actually makes perfect sense that we'd need to adjust the matchmaking search options to increase DLC pairings. Without going into too much detail the system had been set up to weight connection speed above all other considerations. What we've done is slightly lower that weighting while increasing the consideration for DLC and skill levels.
Ah, now that makes a lot of sense; I wasn't aware that speed had such precedence. Thanks for the clarification.

Dan should be a little paranoid; no man that age has high metabolism, lol

vhfive

ncsuDuncan said:
Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) -> Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein) -> 2001 (Arthur C. Clarke) -> Ringworld (Larry Niven)
read them all except Ringworld. Definitely putting it on my to read list

Ender's Game is one of my all time favs

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
squidhands said:
Ah, now that makes a lot of sense; I wasn't aware that speed had such precedence. Thanks for the clarification.

Dan should be a little paranoid; no man that age has high metabolism, lol

LOL, "that age."

thee henery said:
Not me bro, don't fucking insult me.
:lol

lol. Fair enough, that did seem a little odd. :p

The Real Napsta said:
You already have MW2, why be jealous?

MW2 sucked. Im half expecting MW3 to go the same way, but im jelous of the dude who has it a day before me.

I actually think MW3 will be a better game than Reach, Black Ops sure is

GhaleonEB

Zeouterlimits said:
That feels very intentional.
Bornstellar is almost as clue-less, the humans most definetely so.
I really think you should just sit down and finish the book in an hour or two. Just to put it to bed and see how you ultimately feel about it.

I did feel very similarly mind, it is paced very confusingly and is especially slow for the first 2/3s of the book, before things come together.

Ultimately, I'm glad it's not as cookie cutter action adventure as the other books have been. I enjoyed having to stop and try to parse what was really going on.
I keep trying to knock it off, but I find I can only handle it in small doses. Yesterday I did about 30 pages and set it aside after the sequence I described, shaking my head.

I'm sure I'll finish it at some point, but it really is the most frustrating book I've gotten that far into.

bobs99 ... said:
lol. Fair enough, that did seem a little odd. :p

MW2 sucked. Im half expecting MW3 to go the same way, but im jelous of the dude who has it a day before me.

I actually think MW3 will be a better game than Reach, Black Ops sure is

Blops might be better if the netcode didn't drop shots like it was it's job. That game is a complete joke online.

The Real Napsta said:
Blops might be better if the netcode didn't drop shots like it was it's job. That game is a complete joke online.

Thats quite true, it was a very well balanced game though. I think Blops with good netcode would have been amazing.

MW2 was a absolute clusterfuck though, I would take Blops with its poor netcode any day over MW2.

To be fair I should clarify, MW3 has the potential to be more fun than Reach, but no doubt IW would have put so much junk in that it will just end up being another MW2

vhfive said:
read them all except Ringworld. Definitely putting it on my to read list

Ender's Game is one of my all time favs
Yep, Ender's Game is fantastic. I don't agree with OSC's politics (even if he's friendly in person), but I've enjoyed reading all of the Ender series, especially Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead.

Ringworld is great, it's interesting to compare that structure to a Halo. The similarities are interesting, but the differences are REALLY fascinating. Particularly in terms of scale.

I need to read more of the Ringworld series. I've been meaning to read more Dune novels as well, but as soon as I finish Glasslands I'll start Game of Thrones and that series will take a while.

lybertyboy said:

yes!

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of books...I hit a wall 200 pages into Cryptum yesterday.

So, the Didact and his three buddies meet a fellow old dude in his decaying fortress ship. Then they leave and head down to the planet. Only they get ambushed along the way, ship destroyed, captured.

The mentions of the Ark, Flood and the appearance (oddly timely) of a Halo ring are welcome bits of familiarity to latch onto,
but the narrative has be absolutely bewildered. It might be a while before I pick it up again; it's been a very long time since I read a book that cared so little about supplying context for the events it's describing.

Cryptum came highly recommended so I don't see myself picking up any subsequent books at this point. It's been a hugely frustrating read.

It's ok man. I know I'll take a lot of shit but I really hated Cryptum for the most part. There were good bits but for the most part I just can't stand it. So don't feel bad. Sadly I'll probably buy the rest in that series to see what happens with the few tiny bits I did like about it.

On a side note though don't be hating on The Flood people. That novel was actually pretty good in that it gave some behind the scenes stuff. It has some parts that actually deal with what others were doing while you were busy on the Halo. Sure the bulk of it's the game but there is enough stuff in it that compliments the game that makes it worth a read in my opinion. Course I feel that all the Halo Novels are worth a read in that each one has something in it that you will like. Even the one's you hate will have an interesting side story or character in them.

Zeouterlimits said:
First Strike (not hugely important, fills in a few gaps e.g. what happened to Master Chief after he blew up the Pillar of Aututmn)
First Strike is worth it for the fantastic array of secondary characters that Nylund introduces: Whitcomb, Haverson, Locklear, Polaski, and Sgt. Johnson. The chemistry between these characters and the Chief/other Spartans is what made the book.

FyreWulff said:
Is there consideration to make BTB DLC required? I'd like to play Headlong in vanilla Reach kthnx
The impression I got was that the BTB playlist in CEA would have both Vanilla and Classic gametypes. I hope I was wrong.

I imagine we'll get the full details on the playlists this Wednesday.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
The impression I got was that the BTB playlist in CEA would have both Vanilla and Classic gametypes. I hope I was wrong.

I imagine we'll get the full details on the playlists this Wednesday.

That's going to be 85% bloom and Classic, not Vanilla.

Striker said:
Or the very least get a chance to play 8v8 Highlands.

Also this.

Might as well make Big Team the Premium Battle since the Anniversary playlists will be there for the DLC-whores to get their fix.

That way we can regularly get Highlands, Timberlands, and Headlong under normal Reach settings.

Downside would be losing a reliable way to get Invasion Breakpoint since the normal Invasion playlist cannot be made DLC-required.

FyreWulff said:
That's going to be 85% bloom and Classic, not Vanilla.
Ah. We have different definitions of Vanilla then.

To me, Vanilla just means AAs and Bloom are both present. I suspect 343 may have the same definition, so you might want to prepare yourself for the possiblity of 85% bloom being made the standard for "Vanilla Reach".

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Ah. We have different definitions of Vanilla then.

To me, Vanilla just means AAs and Bloom are both present. I suspect 343 may have the same definition, so you might want to prepare yourself for the possiblity of 85% bloom being made the standard for "Vanilla Reach".

When you crouch in 85% you have zero bloom on your shots on the DMR. You'll see the reticule expand but it'll reset before you can even shoot again.

85% is very much not Vanilla Reach for that reason alone. I don't care about the AA changes since I die with armor lock anyway so a nerf is going to make me die even more and Evade is still there and very much overpowered, the sword buff is silly but whatever, 85% bloom changes things too much for me to accept it as standard Reach.

Changing the DMR's RoF instead keeps the sandbox intact while letting people avoid actually learning how to use the weapon, letting it keep the RoF while reducing it's bloom starts screwing with the sandbox.

We were told Vanilla Reach would remain available into the future, and I'm going to hold them to that as long as they refuse to RoF-lock the reduced bloom DMRs.

daedalius

ElzarTheBam said:
Same here bro.

I will send you a friend request later, can't do it here at work otherwise I can't look at any other xbox related site...

Also, I pre-ordered at Best Buy(in-store), does that mean I get the grunt funeral skull? I am just going to pick it up at midnight.

Popeck

So there is no way to be able to watch a film that was recorded by using a profile that isn't on my Xbox 360? Just asking because there is this one film I'd like to capture on my memory stick.

Thanks.

vhfive

ncsuDuncan said:
Yep, Ender's Game is fantastic. I don't agree with OSC's politics (even if he's friendly in person), but I've enjoyed reading all of the Ender series, especially Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead.

Ringworld is great, it's interesting to compare that structure to a Halo. The similarities are interesting, but the differences are REALLY fascinating. Particularly in terms of scale.

I need to read more of the Ringworld series. I've been meaning to read more Dune novels as well, but as soon as I finish Glasslands I'll start Game of Thrones and that series will take a while.
Game of Thrones is easily my favorite fantasy series. EVERYONE IF YOU HAVEN'T YET READ GAME OF THRONES NOW.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
I'm probably close to his age (38), and my metabolism has come to a screeching halt. If I eat a bunch of hot dogs, I'll be running that off for weeks. :-\
Same. I'm 34 and have to really watch it. I put on 10lbs earlier this year letting my diet slide a bit. I recalibrated, and had to moderate my diet and add more excecise to slowly drop it off. I'm doing well now, but it's frustrating making constant trade offs. Especially around the holidays; I'm so used to not having to hold back, I have to stop and remind myself I'm not 20 any longer. A day or two of indulging and I'm cutting back for a week or so to compensate.

Aging. :\

FyreWulff said:
When you crouch in 85% you have zero bloom on your shots on the DMR. You'll see the reticule expand but it'll reset before you can even shoot again.

85% is very much not Vanilla Reach for that reason alone. I don't care about the AA changes since I die with armor lock anyway so a nerf is going to make me die even more and Evade is still there and very much overpowered, the sword buff is silly but whatever, 85% bloom changes things too much for me to accept it as standard Reach.

Changing the DMR's RoF instead keeps the sandbox intact while letting people avoid actually learning how to use the weapon, letting it keep the RoF while reducing it's bloom starts screwing with the sandbox.

We were told Vanilla Reach would remain available into the future, and I'm going to hold them to that.
They said Vanilla Reach. They never said 100% bloom. That statement was aimed at people worried about the Classic, no-bloom, no-AA settings being implemented across all playlists.

I think it comes down to the TU Beta playlist feedback. If the majority of the Reach population is willing to accept 85% as still within the bounds of "Vanilla Reach" there is no reason why it shouldn't be across all "Vanilla" playlists.

I think it's an all-or-nothing deal. Either 85% stays in the TU Beta playlist ONLY, or it spreads to ALL of the Reach playlists/gametypes that feature precision weapons (except Classic and MLG, of course). Otherwise you run into the situation where a player doesn't know if it's 85% or 100%. With ZB Slayer you know it's 0%, with the TU Beta playlist you know going in that settings are going to be weird because it's Beta.

I don't really care either way, I just think you're going to be disappointed if you think 100% was guaranteed. I just want the CEA's Classic gametypes to be popular enough to warrant more playlists devoted to that style. Right now it looks like there won't be a Classic playlist with Reflection/Hemorrhage/etc. or any of the old Team Classic forge variants.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
They said Vanilla Reach. They never said 100% bloom. That statement was aimed at people worried about the Classic, no-bloom, no-AA settings being implemented across all playlists.
I took "vanilla Reach" to mean the original experience, untouched by the TU changes.

Regardless, I'm one of those guys hoping vanilla Reach (as so defined) gets tweaked, particularly by the inclusion of the AA tweaks.

From a playlist management perspective, it gets really messy really fast if there is that kind of bleed-through of TU features, though. It's going to be tough to communicate changes to players - what mix of tweaks are in what playlists - if there is overlap between "classic" and "vanilla" Reach playlists.

Also, I got through all of Winter Contingency today, hoping to find that last Moa. I'm assuming there are exactly 15, as I saw Jorge mow one down in the last encounter before we left for the communications outpost after I'd killed 14 of them, and never found another. The jerk.

Ken said:
When's the CEA OT going up?
Tomorrow, which is one week before the game ships per GAF rules. I'm 90% done, just some text to draft and tweaks to make. I'm waiting on m0dus' art. I'll ping him later today and see how it's coming, we were both working toward an 8th publication.

It's a simpler, more compact (single post) OT, which I think I'll do going forward. Reach's was a bit overboard. :lol

Striker

The AA's in the TU playlist with 85% bloom isn't even bothersome, at least for the most part.

What 343 needs to do is wipe Evade out of the game unless it is used for Invasion or in Elite Slayer. Shit is annoying to play against, and lately I've mostly played BTB. Why Bungie opted to go to Evade and not Hologram after removing the Drop Shield (Team Objective) completely boggles my mind.

Top Bottom