• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

Woorloog said:
That wouldn't make any sense... i could understand the effect being rather small compared to Oblivion due perks but no effect?
It's false

http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/133907385021505537

Ricker

Damn I can`t start Rage if I am not coonected to the net...I thought there was an option for some games on Steam to tell them to start offline as well?

Crazetex

syllogism said:
So I've been informed that for most skills, if not all, raising the skill level has NO EFFECT AT ALL besides making new perks available (and obviously levelling you up). Can someone confirm if this is really the case, because that's just awful

It makes perfect sense to me with the new perk system. Did you not notice that the very first perk in almost all skill trees is "[this style of play]'s success: +20/40/60/80/100%?"

You practice with one-handed blades or sneaking, and you then you buy the upgrade to the ability itself. Same with how magic trees all have "dualcast" and "apprentice/master/etc. magicka cost -50%;" perks emulate what Morroblivion's stats did for you (lowered mp costs).

I prefer this because while you can build your character however you want, it still rewards specialization (instead of punishing it like Oblivion did). In my opinion, it's a far more elegant and fun system.

EDIT: oh okay so both occur

well everything still applies - I mean, L100 One-Handed with no perks versus L100 One-Handed with all perks is still going to be ridiculously different.

Ricker said:
Damn I can`t start Rage if I am not coonected to the net...I thought there was an option for some games on Steam to tell them to start offline as well?
You can Restart Steam in Offline Mode

Not sure about RAGE specifically as I don't have that but usually, as long as you launch the game the first time with Steam logged in (so it activates), you can then play that game indefinitely in Offline Mode. The reason Skyrim won't work is because you won't ever be able to start it that first time to activate it until Friday... no matter if you could play it in offline mode or not afterwards.

syllogism

Crazetex said:
It makes perfect sense to me with the new perk system. Did you not notice that the very first perk in almost all skill trees is "[this style of play]'s success: +20/40/60/80/100%?"

You practice with one-handed blades or sneaking, and you then you buy the upgrade to the ability itself. Same with how magic trees all have "dualcast" and "apprentice/master/etc. magicka cost -50%;" perks emulate what Morroblivion's stats did for you (lowered mp costs).

I prefer this because while you can build your character however you want, it still rewards specialization (instead of punishing it like Oblivion did). In my opinion, it's a far more elegant and fun system.

EDIT: oh okay so both occur

well everything still applies - I mean, L100 One-Handed with no perks versus L100 One-Handed with all perks is still going to be ridiculously different.
The issue with it working like you describe would be that you can not afford every perk, but you can raise every single skill to 100, but then it wouldn't make any difference. That would be ridiculously stupid, but apparently that's not the case

Putty

Linconan said:
*picks up mouth from floor*

Looks awesome :)

But, but...... 30 secs.

*cue tantrum*
noooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Brief but PS3 users may be happy with how its turned out. Big test of course is when entering towns or in combat. Another nice thing in the vid is the little snippet of Jeremy Soule choral music!

Ricker said:
For now whilst Steam is online you have to select "Go Offline" under "Steam". Once you've done that the client restarts and then you can use games offline. It's stupid.

Houston3000 said:
You can Restart Steam in Offline Mode

Not sure about RAGE specifically as I don't have that but usually, as long as you launch the game the first time with Steam logged in (so it activates), you can then play that game indefinitely in Offline Mode.
Not the case for at least me and several other people.

One thing I'll miss is no acrobatics ability. Sure it was kind of silly hopping everywhere to level it up, but once you got it pretty high it was awesome making those really high jumps.

DangerStepp

MMaRsu said:
Goddamnit I'm not supposed to be spending ANY money right now, yet I have a mind to pick this up in an hour lol.. ( ps3). I wouldnt be able to play this much when Assassins Creed comes out, because my roommate will want to use the Ps3. Although after he's cleared the story I should be good with Skyrim again. Still have Dark Souls to finish, but on the 20th I'm getting 60 euro's each month...so yeaaaa

Dont talk me into it GAF with your sweet impressions and good review scores/pictures!
Me and you both. The wife and I have been on a strict budget for the holidays. But Skyrim day is DangerStepp's holiday, thus I'm charging it.

GDJustin said:
- Don't expect miracles here, folks. This is still a sequel to Oblivion, on the same hardware no less. You'll spend a very large portion of your play time having lengthy disjointed conversations with NPCs. Conversations that either reference people, places or events you lack the context to understand...
Believe it or not, that's one of the things that sold me on Oblivion. I really felt like I was a stranger inhabiting a world that's existed long before I pressed start.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
mikespit1200 said:
Probably premature, but for those of us getting PC version and have SSD boot drives...worth an SSD install?
I;m not going to try and sound like a know it all but it seems that the SSD doesn't help tremendously with a lot of games I've read. I mean the standard HDD's are so features that even the 5500rpm drives these days are good.

Wallach

syllogism said:
The issue with it working like you describe would be that you can not afford every perk, but you can raise every single skill to 100, but then it wouldn't make any difference. That would be ridiculously stupid, but apparently that's not the case

Yeah, it doesn't make a lick of sense that way. But was already confirmed a long time ago when the instruction manual leaked that skill influenced damage.

Linconan

Putty said:
Brief but PS3 users may be happy with how its turned out. Big test of course is when entering towns or in combat. Another nice thing in the vid is the little snippet of Jeremy Soule choral music!
The only thing i'm worried about, is the character pop up distance.
I'll be forgiving for all else but my main concern, is this.
Grass, doesn't worry me. But seeing characters disappear, pretty much right in close viewing distance spoils the immersion. Exploring for things/people, turns into.. eye spy.lol

Antagon

I didn't plan to get Skyrim until at least a few months in the future if ever. I just bought it :/. Damn you my complete lack of self control.

And I didn't even like Oblivion.

Esch

Banned
Wow, i really like the color balance in mmarsu's video. Looks more vibrant than any 360 footage i've seen so far. Although that could be the tv obviously. Really wish it was direct feed.

Mind

Neo Member
I also jumped to much in Oblivion to raise that stat. But looking back on it it's just plain stupid. I've been playing for 6 hours now and the keep is f****** amazing! No frame drops when getting into big fights and the music chills your spine everytime you hear something new.

They've really put in tons of effort for the voices. I've talked to tens of people but haven't heard the same voice. Al least not that I could recognize.

I'm a big nature fan in real life (bird spotting) and the scenery is mindblowing. Bird sounds are spot on and most of them are real. This doesn't sound impressive but it is. Never played a game that did this. I wish I lifed in Skyrim. Although I would freak out when a dragon... hell a wolf jumped at me :)

Your all in for a threat! I was expecting to play MW3 but it can wait a couple of months. Thanks for making this game!

Lakitu

st5fu
Before I head out. Regarding the issue with the textures not loading if playing off of the HDD - it seems the game benefits from you clearing your system cache if you're having this issue and I've seen a few reports of people who've played it while installed that haven't had this problem.

All we can do is wait.

Zeliard

Game is so much prettier than Oblivion from an art design standpoint it just makes you wonder what happened with that game.

LiquidMetal14

Zeliard said:
Game is so much prettier than Oblivion from an art design standpoint it just makes you wonder what happened with that game.
That is like half the selling point to me. I love immersion and great art direction. It makes even a decent game good and a good game great.

FML more videos coming in makes the wait harder.

bengraven

Ha, our first PS3 footage is from a forum member's cam.

Bethesda's marketing, lol.

DangerStepp said:
Believe it or not, that's one of the things that sold me on Oblivion. I really felt like I was a stranger inhabiting a world that's existed long before I pressed start.

That's actually what hooked me on Morrowind.

Being tossed into this huge world where I could roam anywhere freely and the characters TREATED me like a part of that world. Loved it and quickly became addicted to the lore.

Echoplx

lol

bonzrat Alec Meer
Been stealing a lot of vegetables. That's all I'm going risk saying about this videogame until the embargo lifts.

DangerStepp

Antagon said:
I didn't plan to get Skyrim until at least a few months in the future if ever. I just bought it :/. Damn you my complete lack of self control.

And I didn't even like Oblivion.
wat. Do you have high hopes that this is going to be your jam despite the fact that it's going to be like every bit of Oblivion and more?

FHIZ

Today, I've made the smartest decision of my life.

I ordered Skyrim from Newegg for $47. But, I'm finding their shipping not to be as fast as I'd like with MW3, and with the weekend release of Skyrim, I don't think I'd even get this until tuesday at best with them...

Canceled at Newegg, ordered at Amazon for full price with release day shipping.

Waiting is NOT an option.

Jeez, those videos go down fast. I was skipping around watching it with no sound. I'm actually really impressed with the 3rd Person - looks better than even the Fallout games.

DeathIsTheEnd said:
Not the case for at least me and several other people.
What do you mean? You can't start Steam in Offline Mode?

Weird, I have some friends that only play games in Offline Mode.

LiquidMetal14

3chopl0x said:
lol

bonzrat Alec Meer
Been stealing a lot of
vegetables
. That's
all
I'm going risk saying about this videogame
until the
embargo lifts.
Huge spoilers there brother /spoiler police

Game ruined.

Pat

Ricker said:

Irrevelant, but I gotta say you have the best avatar I've seen in a while.

And for Skyrim, can't check right now, has the preload been activated?

Houston3000 said:
What do you mean? You can't start Steam in Offline Mode?

Weird, I have some friends that only play games in Offline Mode.
Yep. For me to use offline I have to select offline when online and then it works.

Fortunately when I was without internet I could launch EU3 straight from the exe, but that only works with a few games.

Zeliard

The RPS write-ups for Skyrim should be fun reads. I do think the embargo is very unfortunate. Not so much for the reviews, since everyone should know what they're getting into, but for the stories.

In the days leading up to Skyrim, now would be a good time for people to share stories of random, non-spoilery adventures they've had in the game, but everybody is shackled by that shitty embargo.

LiquidMetal14 said:
That is like half the selling point to me. I love immersion and great art direction. It makes even a decent game good and a good game great.

Ditto. Morrowind's game world was one of my favorite parts of it, and Oblivion's game world one of my least favorite parts. The Silt Striders alone had far more character and intrigue than anything found in Cyrodiil.

Wallach

GDJustin said:
So, I don't mean to come off as too negative. I'm just saying... even with the awesome new interface, (I loooove it), the awesome new perk/leveling system (ditto), the much-improved lockpicking minigame, the improved crafting... even with all that, this is still an Oblivion sequel. This basically feels like a better, more refined version of that game. I don't think it will win over Oblivion's detractors, based on my first few hours.

A lot of Oblivion's critics were TES fans; it was mechanics changes and a general art/world problem that hurt the game so much. There are a lot of others that couldn't get into Oblivion due to more broad design concepts; people that would have been as put off by Morrowind as they were Oblivion. Do you think the changes are the kinds that would appeal to a spurned TES fan? A lot of things that were part of Oblivion were a direct result of being a sequel to Morrowind, so being a sequel to Oblivion doesn't really give me enough context to draw on.

HTuran

Jeez, so the game's available in stores in some parts of the world and Bethesda are still taking down videos? This is crazy!

GhaleonEB

Mind said:
I also jumped to much in Oblivion to raise that stat. But looking back on it it's just plain stupid. I've been playing for 6 hours now and the keep is f****** amazing! No frame drops when getting into big fights and the music chills your spine everytime you hear something new.

They've really put in tons of effort for the voices. I've talked to tens of people but haven't heard the same voice. Al least not that I could recognize.

I'm a big nature fan in real life (bird spotting) and the scenery is mindblowing. Bird sounds are spot on and most of them are real. This doesn't sound impressive but it is. Never played a game that did this. I wish I lifed in Skyrim. Although I would freak out when a dragon... hell a wolf jumped at me :)

Your all in for a threat! I was expecting to play MW3 but it can wait a couple of months. Thanks for making this game!
I'm enjoying all the enthusiastic early impressions. Though I gotta say, it's not making Friday come any sooner. :lol

LiquidMetal14

Zeliard said:
Ditto. Morrowind's game world was one of my favorite parts of it, and Oblivion's game world one of my least favorite parts. The Silt Striders alone had far more character and intrigue than anything found in Cyrodiil.
I agree, maybe that's why Oblivion lost me after a while. Not that it was horrendous but the art just didn't catch me and keep me interested enough. Sounds petty but as I said, SKyrim is the best looking and most interesting ES game I've seen.

Solo

Zeliard said:

Oblivion's art direction was Generic Medievel Fantasy 101. Awful. Skyrim destroys it with the inspired Norse look.

Midou

Solo said:
Oblivion's art direction was Generic Medievel Fantasy 101. Awful. Skyrim destroys it with the inspired Norse look.

Yes, as I've said before, the cold and dark colours along with the music give me a sort of daggerfall vibe, very atmospheric in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom