• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerStepp

3chopl0x said:
Oblivion had the most generic fantasy setting ever, nothing about it was interesting at all.
While I can agree that it was very derivative and typical, I really enjoyed it. I say that as someone who spent little time with Morrowind and had Oblivion as one of my first 360 games at the time and never really had a game grab me like that.

For as generic as the setting was, they did a fine job with the characters who mold the world and that's what makes it for me.

garath

Regarding
vampires
:

Is there any indication of WHEN we'll be able to become a vampire? I haven't been able to find any rough ideas of when you can contract vamprism. It would fit very well with my character type and might change my starting race decision. Both Khajit and Vampires get the 60 second night vision.

The spoiler is one of the things that's pretty well known as in the game. Been in the game since Daggerfall. But spoilered just to be safe.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I can't think of anything but this game. That's a problem. 2 midterms this week.

Philthy

DangerStepp said:
While I can agree that it was very derivative and typical, I really enjoyed it. I say that as someone who spent little time with Morrowind and had Oblivion as one of my first 360 games at the time and never really had a game grab me like that.

For as generic as the setting was, they did a fine job with the characters who mold the world and that's what makes it for me.

It was very generic, but no other game has had me crest a bluff and look down into a valley with small lakes all over and just be blown away. For being generic, it was one hell of a looker. It really made you want to explore this world, no matter how generic it was. While I enjoyed Morrowind more, I wont lie that the world itself was like walking in a pile of poo. I've never seen so much brown in my life.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
A lot of Oblivion's critics were TES fans; it was mechanics changes and a general art/world problem that hurt the game so much. There are a lot of others that couldn't get into Oblivion due to more broad design concepts; people that would have been as put off by Morrowind as they were Oblivion. Do you think the changes are the kinds that would appeal to a spurned TES fan? A lot of things that were part of Oblivion were a direct result of being a sequel to Morrowind, so being a sequel to Oblivion doesn't really give me enough context to draw on.

As far as I can tell, it seems to be very much like Oblivion from a mechanical standpoint. If you're expecting more statistical significance with the combat and such in the vein of Morrowind, you're probably in for disappointment.

But as far as the visual design of the world and characters, and hopefully a good chunk of the quests as well, it may veer closer to Morrowind. Certainly with some of the art it is already more in the vein of Morrowind than Oblivion.

I think Beth probably tried to create a happy medium between Morrowind and Oblivion, taking certain bits from each and making it into something a little different. While many of us would have preferred they largely just ignored Oblivion, they're realistically not going to do that, so Skyrim will inevitably feel a lot like it.

I think if you go in with the right level of expectations, disappointment is probably unlikely, and if anything the game may pleasantly surprise you in some ways. It's the people who will go into the game expecting something that feels noticeably different than Oblivion and Fallout 3 that will probably come away disappointed.

Now if someone hated both Morrowind and Oblivion it would be pretty surprising if they ended up liking Skyrim at all, though it could just be that Norse-inspired mythology is more their thing.

Solo said:
Oblivion's art direction was Generic Medievel Fantasy 101. Awful. Skyrim destroys it with the inspired Norse look.

Agreed. Very boring and generic. For a game world you're ostensibly going to spend dozens of hours in, it's just unfortunate, and mods outside of substantial total conversions can't really save a thing like that.

Antagon

garath said:
Regarding
vampires
:

Is there any indication of WHEN we'll be able to become a vampire? Werewolves are pretty early apparently but I haven't been able to find any rough ideas of when you can contract vamprism. It would fit very well with my character type and might change my starting race decision. Both Khajit and Vampires get the 60 second night vision.

The spoiler is one of the things that's pretty well known as in the game. Been in the game since Daggerfall. But spoilered just to be safe.

There's another spoiler in there that might be more unexpected though.

DangerStepp

Philthy said:
It was very generic, but no other game has had me crest a bluff and look down into a valley with small lakes all over and just be blown away. For being generic, it was one hell of a looker. It really made you want to explore this world, no matter how generic it was. While I enjoyed Morrowind more, I wont lie that the world itself was like walking in a pile of poo. I've never seen so much brown in my life.
I'm going to quote that for years to come regarding anything I can shoehorn it in to. Thank you.

Got my copy! It's right beside me atm. Sitting in a McDonalds waiting for my GF to finish her classes so we can go home together. :lol

Some douchebag beside me bought the CE. Thought about mugging hem, but then I thought: "what would Wulf do?"

I killed him, vanquished his Alduin statue, drank his blood, and then woke up from my rush still artbook-less. :(

Khezu

Despite oblivion sucking, I wouldn't mind another game set in cyrodiil if they stuck closer to canon and had it actually be a jungle.

That or black marsh.

Midou said:
Yes, as I've said before, the cold and dark colours along with the music give me a sort of daggerfall vibe, very atmospheric in comparison.

What made Daggerfall so good? I missed out and started my whole ES experience with Morrowind.

Blue Ninja said:
Got my copy! It's right beside me atm. Sitting in a McDonalds waiting for my GF to finish her classes so we can go home together. :lol

Some douchebag beside me bought the CE. Thought about mugging hem, but then I thought: "what would Wulf do?"

I killed him, vanquished his Alduin statue, drank his blood, and then woke up from my rush still artbook-less. :(

JEALOUS.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
As far as I can tell, it seems to be very much like Oblivion from a mechanical standpoint. If you're expecting more statistical significance with the combat and such in the vein of Morrowind, you're probably in for disappointment.

Not really. If anything I was kind of annoyed by the use of some stat-derived functions in what was otherwise a real-time, intuitive style of game; part of me felt like they'd wasted the effort of such a leap over Daggerfall in that respect. They didn't interfere that much though, really. I think the bigger mechanical issues between Morrowind and Oblivion were level scaling and loot scaling/distribution.

Main reason I responded to him is because I couldn't tell whether he was more trying to inform those that were turned off of Oblivion for reasons that are mostly inherent to TES as a whole, or more those that were turned off for incremental changes between Morrowind and the sequel.

Woorloog

Banned
Khezu said:
Despite oblivion sucking, I wouldn't mind another game set in cyrodiil if they stuck closer to canon and had it actually be a jungle.

That or black marsh.
The canon is now that it is not a jungle.

Should've saved that Dovakhiinified-EviLore-deal-with-it gif.

That said it would've been nice to have at least a part of Cyrodiil a true jungle, especially the southern part.

garath

tetzlat said:
Im abouth to pick up my copy for the pc .
GameMania rulesssss !!!!!

Then comes the bitter disappointment of just staring at the box till Friday.

I'd almost rather not have it.

Yeah, a classmate of mine bought it for PC, but he's still locked out, too. Sorry bro. :(

The map definitely isn't cloth, but damn, it's quite nice material nonetheless. My game case doesn't have the fancy internal art work, though. :(

Game Mania does rule, though. Had a chat with the guy selling 'em real quick, he wasn't getting the CE either but he was just as jealous as I was. "That dragon is bigger than that goddamn big box." :lol

Razorskin

----- ------
Here's another racial skills bonuses breakdown.

Mo1oU.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm Bosmer or Khajit might be more what I'm looking for since they have combat bonuses too instead of magic. But I do like the other argonian skills like water breathing.

Interfectum

theBishop said:
Can anyone confirm good gamepad support on PC? I want pretty graphics, I also want a console experience.

I would like to know this too. Does it natively support the 360 controller (IE button prompts change accordingly)?

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Not really. If anything I was kind of annoyed by the use of some stat-derived functions in what was otherwise a real-time, intuitive style of game; part of me felt like they'd wasted the effort of such a leap over Daggerfall in that respect. They didn't interfere that much though, really. I think the bigger mechanical issues between Morrowind and Oblivion were level scaling and loot scaling/distribution.

I pointed out the way combat works because it's one of the biggest differences, but it's everything involving stats, basically. The math. Outside of the visuals, the math is probably where the major difference between the two games lies, and it impacts everything from the combat to the feel of character progression and immersion due to scaling.

One of the biggest problems Oblivion had is it dumbed the combat down to remove some of its reliance on stats but then made it feel largely the same anyway. Pointless.

Wallach said:
Main reason I responded to him is because I couldn't tell whether he was more trying to inform those that were turned off of Oblivion for reasons that are mostly inherent to TES as a whole, or more those that were turned off for incremental changes between Morrowind and the sequel.

Probably the former since he was speaking in general terms.

Interfectum said:
I would like to know this too. Does it natively support the 360 controller (IE button prompts change accordingly)?
I find if a game doesn't list controller enabled on its Steam store page, then it usually doesn't natively support the 360 pad or dynamic prompts.

Derrick01

Banned
Interfectum said:

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. F3 and New Vegas both did (though F3 was gfwl).

Interfectum

TheNiX said:
I find if a game doesn't list controller enabled on its Steam store page, then it usually doesn't natively support the 360 pad or dynamic prompts.

That's hard to go by though as they don't even list steam cloud / steam achievements on the skyrim page.

Khezu

I heard that the khajit night eye ability is still a lesser power and has no CD, can anyone with the the game confirm this?

Elder Scrolls newb getting Skyrim here,

So looking at that chart if I want to go with some kind of Combat/Magic character I'd go with RedGuard or Imperial?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Inferno313 said:

So looking at that chart if I want to go with some kind of Combat/Magic character I'd go with RedGuard or Imperial?

My newbie brother!

I think I'm going Orc, I never like to think and just slash and hack. This seems like the best race for this. :D

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I pointed out the way combat works because it's one of the biggest differences, but it's everything involving stats, basically. The math. Outside of the visuals, the math is probably where the major difference between the two games lies, and it impacts everything from the combat to the feel of character progression and immersion due to scaling.

One of the biggest problems Oblivion had is it dumbed the combat down to remove some of its reliance on stats but then made it feel largely the same anyway. Pointless.

On the flip side, I think Oblivion's combat not feeling very different just reinforced for me how pointless the stats that drove (particularly to-hit function in melee) combat in Morrowind were. They needed to move forward and start making more functional changes to how combat actually controlled and flowed to make strides in that regard. I think we're only seeing small steps towards that in Skyrim, though.

There's definitely a lot of other math changes between Morrowind and the sequel that did actually matter, and I agree that on a functional level overall that is where the game broke down. I just don't think combat is one I would move to include in that judgment.

Derrick01

Banned
Inferno313 said:

Yeah but those are only for early game boosts. Eventually and pretty early you can tune any character however you want. I could make an orc a master mage if I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom