• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Bizazedo

Dahbomb, I am bored and I know you like theory. Critique my team(s)? I am considering these teams.

Zero / Nova / Doom.

or Zero / Skrull / Doom.

I know, huge difference, right? I am moving away from Wesker, don't hate me.

Workable? Using beam assist with Doom and Orbital Grudge with Skrull. Can currently get up to 600k without meter with Zero these two based upon a very favorable starting combo situation, but it "normally" is around 540-550 pre-hypers.

Kimosabae

Banned
They would only be mediocre if they didn't tweak normals and specials to be more useful. by themselves. If meter gain was curtailed, hitboxes tightened up, and ground magic series removed/tweaked (among other things), that'd be a decent start, I think. But that seems something like Darkstalkers, maybe? Never played it.

Kadey said:
Okay. Who really sucks at this game and wants to play against me tonight? I'm going to test out the game on my stream before Ultimate hits.
Testing XBL or PSN?
Kimosabae said:
They would only be mediocre if they didn't tweak normals and specials to be more useful. by themselves. If meter gain was curtailed, hitboxes tightened up, and ground magic series removed/tweaked (among other things), that'd be a decent start, I think. But that seems something like Darkstalkers, maybe? Never played it.
Sounds like a future Darkstalkers game lol.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
Yeah that would be Darkstalkers. If you just took out the assists, then they would just be Marvel Super Heroes, Children of the Atom etc.

Zero / Nova / Doom.

or Zero / Skrull / Doom.
Zero/Skrull/Doom should already be solid. Also try out Doom's Rocks on this team, it covers up Skrulls weaknesses fairly decently and can help Zero extend combos too but you would be missing out on a beam assist for Zero to zone/get in with. DHC synergy should be fine, early DHC Rekkoha into Skrull Inferno and Skull Inferno into Sphere Flame. Rekkoha into Sphere Flame should be good too. For Doom to Skrull, you will have to do hard knock down, tiger knee Plasma Beam OTG into Air Photon Array hyper -> Inferno. All these DHCs do strong damage.

The Nova team is tricky. Nova can give Zero a wall bounce or a possible ground bounce to extend his combos (wall bounce assist more preferably, ground bounce would be too situational). Doom wouldn't gain much from Nova's wall bounce assist but Gravimetric Pulse would help him dominate in zoning wars (at the same time Gravimetric Pulse may not help Zero much because the assist seems to mostly be for zoning teams). The DHC synergy SHOULD be the same where Nova can do Nova Force hyper instead of Skrull Inferno. Doom Beam assist should be the assist of choice for this team and Zero should be point of course. Nova can be 2nd or anchor.

Tobe

im pretty sure zero+skrull could have a bff style mixup plus skrull has 1 super armor point in his assist right?

Bizazedo

Tobe1 said:
im pretty sure zero+skrull could have a bff style mixup plus skrull has 1 super armor point in his assist right?
Yeah. It's actually not as good as Zero / Hulk mixup (Zero can teleport past and the gamma wave drives the target straight into a waiting Zero launcher, it's a thing of beauty), but it works. If the target rolls a certain way after a knock down it can be temperamental setting it up, but it's good.

Beam works well, too. I got the timing down at the end to do an OTG divekick into Doom beam into launcher --> j.M --> Buster --> Raikousen down, normal jump back, divekick, hyper.

Worst case scenario I just orbital grudge instead.

I dread what HSD changes will do to it.

Thanks, Dahbomb, it's mostly what I've experienced, but I just started using that team of Zero / Skrull / Doom last week, so I'm still working on learning Skrull and Doom a bit (especially mid-screen combos with Doom). I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time, especially since Skrull is....well, Zero spoiled me :(.

I just love waiting for a Rekkoha to almost end before dropping a Death Penalty at the peak of it, too.

My original team was Zero / Hulk / Wesker and I got spoiled by being able to ToD most of the task with ease.....if I could hit them. Just wanted to make a team that can't be zoned out as easily as that team :(.

Dahbomb

Tobe1 said:
Yeah but it activates late in MVC3... it activates earlier in UMVC3.

One think you can try with Skrull is to charge that wall bounce full screen punch move and call out Doom. If you get the punch, the Doom beam may allow you to follow it up with a combo even at a full screen range. I have seen this done with Taskmaster arrows.

Tobe I saw your game and I am going to comment on it in a bit. It's only going to be on Wolverine/Akuma though since your Magneto got bodied (and I don't play Magneto to comment anyway).

Kimosabae said:
Do any characters have flight or tri-dashes in DS games?
Q.Bee is more or less MvC3 Magneto with the mobility, but she doesn't have flight. Her tridashes even track the opponent IIRC. I think Phobos(Darkstalkers Sentinel) also had a flight mode just like MvC2 Sentinel, but I haven't seen him in Vampire Savior play. Phobos would be Capcom's Sentinel pretty easily.

This should work.

El Sloth

Banned
Yes, Q.Bee's air dashes track and she has an Instant Air Dash which is basically her version of a tri-dash.

SolarPowered said:
but she doesn't have flight.
Well, you're wrong and you're right. She doesn't have a special that puts her in flight mode, but her Dark Force does. That's all her Dark Force is actually, flight mode. So she does have it, just need to spend a meter to use it!

She also has a hover/float, FYI.

Edit: Jedah doesn't have an IAD last I checked God's Beard says he does, but he, just like Q.Bee, has a Dark Force that enables flight. His air dashes are also interesting in that they have a hitbox in the front that will hurt the opponent.

Dahbomb

0:23 Good dive kick on entry after character kill. I am assuming you saw him press buttons and just let it rip.

0:27 You could've killed Dante here if you had done BBCS in the air, OTG + X factor relaunch aerial Fatal Claw or simply OTG + X Factor + Akuma call into Weapon X because you had the bar for a LVL3. This was difficult but doable. Another option would've been to go for BBCS, OTG assist call into Fatal Claw closer to the ground because it would've built more meter and would've put you in better oki position. You could've also gone for a reset on the ground against Dante (OTG + assist and just jab him out of the combo into dive kick OS or B Slash + B Charge).

0:29 Maybe this was an input error but you did assist call with Barrage. That move sucks outside of chipping or combo ender. You should've done Berserker Slash or maybe you meant to I don't know.

0:37 That part sucked for you because the dude was playing team black trenchcoats. You thought you clocked Dante with the dive kick but in fact it was Wesker (hard to tell since they both have black trenchcoats). This is going to be a problem in UMVC3 with team trenchcoats (Dante/Vergil/Wesker all black). Nothing you can do about it.

0:43 DO NOT sit there and block low. This is Mahvel baybee.. what you doing crouching with Wolverine? In that situation you should've been mashing up/back. You need to negate possibilities of command throws and instant overheads as much as you can.

0:45 I don't like the footsies you are doing here with Wolverine. The Zero player was doing random jumps into Buster, this was your cue to get underneath him and do super jump dive kick OS (I call it dive kick OS but it's really just down + forward + H which gives you a dive kick at range on hit or a throw if you are close hence the option select). Zero players are most vulnerable here to air throws and especially after they have completely their stupid j.H.

0:50 I don't understand this DHC, there was no reason for it. You got punished rightfully for it. Looked like an input error, I think you probably wanted Berserker Charge maybe?

1:12 Not enough advancing guard at the start to escape pressure/mix up but you did do good by doing SRK into Beam after the final advance guard.

1:22 X factor wasn't needed here, he was gonna die anyway but whatever it didn't impact much.

1:27 Probably dive kick OS good shit, he teched it. What you should've done here is did dive kick OS plus assist call OS. If you got the throw, assist would've have come out if he teched (which is what happened) you would've gotten Akuma assist to MAINTAIN pressure on him.

1:39 Dropped easy mode combo that could've won you the game, this should not be happening obviously.

1:42 Never crouch like that with Wolverine especially against Wesker, There is NO need for it... just mash cr.L he can't do anything about it. You don't want to mash L too hard but leave a few gaps in between the L's to bait out an advancing guard or a button. Putting in gaps in between the L's is going to be more crucial in UMVC3 with the SWISS CHEESE!

1:44 You went into auto pilot assist call B Slash which didn't work and then you tried Dive kick. Never dive kick raw against an opponent sitting on XFLVL3 like that. He was CLEARLY scheming to XF guard cancel your dive kick but was a bit late. You were STILL in auto pilot mode and was mashing LMH when he got the combo and kill on you.

1:56 The Raging Demon was solid I almost thought you had it. In a case of being hunted by Wesker, you want to jump keep jumping back and try to tag a beam or two to burn team. Always keep your fingers on back + H if he tries to grab you. You sort of panicked at the end against chip from gun shots and just stopped jumping which lead to the command throw. You should always be jump up in anchor position like that, there is really no need not to.

3:16 You made an amazing block against a crossed up position but again you didn't mash up/back to avoid the throw on the ground.

Ending: Got clocked by Dante j.S into happy birthday into defeat. Being under Dante and calling an assist is suicide, he could've easily done Hammer there as well and would've clocked you even if you were behind him. Dante after a double jump isn't going anywhere but down... so either try a dive kick + assist OS or just try to air throw him with b+H (this gives you a block in case you missed the throw but if you get the button j.H you can just go into drill claw dive kick if you get the hit).

Tips for future improvement:

*ABUSE Wolverine cr.L. None of those characters could've done anything about it other than Advance guard. As soon as they advance guard, B Slash back in while calling an assist.

*I don't know if you know about it but it's worth investing in Wolverine's instant overheads. While not as superior as B Slash cross ups, there are times where instant overheads are better (particularly in corner against an opponent in a block string).

*ABUSE Wolverine's air throw dive kick OS it's godlike and braindead easy. You probably were but you weren't getting as many air throws as you should've been.

*Learn fuzzy guard set ups.

Need to see more Akuma play to decide what you need work on in that front. Wolverine needs some polishing up especially for UMVC3 where you have to think before you press buttons.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I think I fought Felix online this past weekend. I swear I was in blockstun half the match, before Zero opened my Wesker up and I started to get bodied. I think I managed to kill the Maverick Hunter with Maggy, but I lost that match something terrible. :| Shit was real free.

El Sloth said:
Edit: Jedah doesn't have an IAD last I checked, but he, just like Q.Bee, has a Dark Force that enables flight. His air dashes are also interesting in that they have a hitbox in the front that will hurt the opponent.
Yes, he does.

Tobe

Oldschoolgamer said:
I think I fought Felix online this past weekend. I swear I was in blockstun half the match, before Zero opened my Wesker up and I started to get bodied. I think I managed to kill the Maverick Hunter with Maggy, but I lost that match something terrible. :| Shit was real free.
none of the players at my local tournament play online besides me :p

El Sloth said:
Well, you're wrong and you're right. She doesn't have a special that puts her in flight mode, but her Dark Force does. That's all her Dark Force is actually, flight mode. So she does have it, just need to spend a meter to use it!

She also has a hover/float, FYI.

Edit: Jedah doesn't have an IAD last I checked, but he, just like Q.Bee, has a Dark Force that enables flight. His air dashes are also interesting in that they have a hitbox in the front that will hurt the opponent.
Nice catch.

Also, thanks for the bit about Jedah. Now I know to be more careful when he starts dashing.

smurfx

get some go again
woo added 15 games really quick today. even managed to stomp a new cosmic lord. i think i can still get to cosmic if i manage to add at least 10-15 matches a day till ultimate comes out. i would like to get there quick and spend the rest of the my time just playing player matches with marvel gaf.

smurfx

get some go again
omfg! i thought umvc3 would come out past the 20th. shit i have to grind out the wins. i got only 4 more days to get to cosmic lord. good thing i added 20 games today.

smurfx

get some go again
so i've now played both winrich and noah and i have to say that winrich is much better. winrich is older i think so noah can be as good or better when he is winrich's age.

smurfx

get some go again
woo i'm nearing the finish line now. i added 50 wins today to my total. there should only be about 40-50 matches more to win till i'm finally at my final goal. if i'm lucky even less. parallax!!!!!!! why so scared? :p

CPS2

Nyoro

"While it was known for a while that Viewtiful Joe's Shocking Pink (bomb) had the tendency to glitch out the combo counter, this is the first time where it completely resets the counter and the damage/hitstun scaling. Watch as ShockingOwl uses the glitch to get a 100% combo with Viewtiful Joe using only one meter, one bomb and no X-Factor."

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/...-joe-solo-100-combo-possible-glitch/#comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wRdnOpIuXog#t=185s

Glitch was found back in April, 100% combos were also back in April. Back then Iso managed to do the same damage with no meter.

From the video description:

"03:05 - Bomb block glitch (combined with bomb holding). When vjoe blocks his own bomb, all hitstun and damage is reset on the opponent. However, no hitstun/damage reset will occur if any of the following have hit in the round - wallbounce, groundbounce, air tag, certain assists, possibly more. Highest damage meterless combo in the game?"

smurfx

get some go again
shaowebb said:
GO Smurfx! Get that Cosmic lord!
added about 30 games today. only a slight slither of meter left to go. i have the day off tomorrow from work so i should get it then. then i can retire from this game for good and wait for ultimate.

Nyoro SF

CPS2 said:
Nyoro

"While it was known for a while that Viewtiful Joe's Shocking Pink (bomb) had the tendency to glitch out the combo counter, this is the first time where it completely resets the counter and the damage/hitstun scaling. Watch as ShockingOwl uses the glitch to get a 100% combo with Viewtiful Joe using only one meter, one bomb and no X-Factor."

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/...-joe-solo-100-combo-possible-glitch/#comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wRdnOpIuXog#t=185s

Glitch was found back in April, 100% combos were also back in April. Back then Iso managed to do the same damage with no meter.

From the video description:

"03:05 - Bomb block glitch (combined with bomb holding). When vjoe blocks his own bomb, all hitstun and damage is reset on the opponent. However, no hitstun/damage reset will occur if any of the following have hit in the round - wallbounce, groundbounce, air tag, certain assists, possibly more. Highest damage meterless combo in the game?"

Ah, so you figured out the parameters for the glitch that long ago...

I hope I don't overlook anything when Ultimate comes out.

Solune

smurfx said:
added about 30 games today. only a slight slither of meter left to go. i have the day off tomorrow from work so i should get it then. then i can retire from this game for good and wait for ultimate.
You got Ultimate Urley, you still gonna make it? =p

CPS2

Nyoro SF said:
Ah, so you figured out the parameters for the glitch that long ago...

I hope I don't overlook anything when Ultimate comes out.

Were you planning on changing the article at all? It still says "this is the first time where it completely resets the counter and the damage/hitstun scaling."

Nyoro SF

CPS2 said:
Were you planning on changing the article at all? It still says "this is the first time where it completely resets the counter and the damage/hitstun scaling."

Sure, let me switch it up a bit.

smurfx

get some go again
Solune said:
You got Ultimate Urley, you still gonna make it? =p
today in mvc3 history smurfx has joined the rank of comic lord. today smurfx officially retires from mvc3 and will now move on to ultimate marvel vs capcom 3! so final stats as of today.

wins:47

Solune

smurfx said:
today in mvc3 history smurfx has joined the rank of comic lord. today smurfx officially retires from mvc3 and will now move on to ultimate marvel vs capcom 3! so final stats as of today.

wins:47
Good stuff !

CPS2

Nyoro you made it sound like i did the old blocked bomb + bomb hold meterless 100% combo on captain america, i just recorded and edited that video, the combos were done by Isorropia (as it says in the credits). You can word your article however you want, the main things that shouldn't be there are giving credit to me for doing the combo, or saying its the first time the blocked bomb glitch has been used with the bomb hold glitch to reset hitstun and damage scaling to extend combos. There's nothing technically new in that VJ video you linked the other day, i guess all you can really say is that its a combo that uses the blocked bomb + bomb hold glitch, and then refer to other videos of these glitches if you want (the one that Iso and i made isn't the only one).

Nyoro SF

CPS2 said:
Nyoro you made it sound like i did the old blocked bomb + bomb hold meterless 100% combo on captain america, i just recorded and edited that video, the combos were done by Isorropia (as it says in the credits). You can word your article however you want, the main things that shouldn't be there are giving credit to me for doing the combo, or saying its the first time the blocked bomb glitch has been used with the bomb hold glitch to reset hitstun and damage scaling to extend combos. There's nothing technically new in that VJ video you linked the other day, i guess all you can really say is that its a combo that uses the blocked bomb + bomb hold glitch, and then refer to other videos of these glitches if you want (the one that Iso and i made isn't the only one).

I see, so the trick of holding the buttons and switching them (like Zero's buster) is the reason it resets the damage and hitstun scaling...

You were so informed I assumed that you were the one performing the combo. Let me fix the crediting.

Also I can't find your other videos demonstrating the button release trick, so I put up carminemac's.

CPS2

Yeah basically the bomb hold glitch is what you're referring to, where you can control the exact timing of the detonation, and delay it for as long as you want. The blocked bomb glitch is that if you block your own bomb mid combo, it removes Joe's hits from the combo counter, but not your team-mates'. So if all the hits were done by Joe, the combo counter disappears after he blocks his own bomb, but if some of the hits were done by team-mates, the combo counter just reduces by the amount of hits that Joe contributed (in either case its still a true combo). Blocking the bomb is also what resets the hitstun and damage scaling. Isorropia found out about this glitch on his own, but after looking around he also found someone had beaten him to it by a few weeks (i would double check who it was but i'm posting from my phone).

ReiGun

Someone probably figured this out a long time ago and I just didn't know, but I was just fooling around in training mode and I discovered that you can cancel Deadpool failed teleport into TK Happy Happy Trigger. You can do it with regular ground HHT too, but the air one removes the malfunction and gives you back your regular teleports. :)

Regardless of whether people already knew that or not, I still feel kinda cool. lol

CPS2

Nyoro:

While it was known for a while that Viewtiful Joe's Shocking Pink (bomb) had the tendency to glitch out the combo counter using a held-button trick You're referring to the bomb hold glitch here, that's not what resets or lowers the combo counter. The blocked bomb glitch is what affects the combo counter, there is a new presentation where it completely resets the counter and the damage/hitstun scaling it's not new, it's from April 2011. Watch as Isorropia uses the glitch to get a 100% combo with Viewtiful Joe using no meter, one bomb and no X-Factor you've now removed >>the video that the article was originally about<<, I don't think that ShockingOwl would be too happy about that.

It seems that the only thing preventing this glitch from being abused is how hard it is to set up. Check it out at 3:06 onwards.

I think all that really needs to be said is something like "here is a new combo from ShockingOwl that uses the bomb hold and blocked bomb glitch with Viewtiful Joe." No mention of any new technology is necessary, and the article should accurately state what the glitches do, or if you aren't sure, leave those details out entirely.

Top Bottom