• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls- New Characters, Painwheel and Valentine, Announced [Full Roster Revealed]

That's a bit of a tall order, I think.

All the voices go into one voice channel, and the voice volume just adjusts that. Adding it for each character would mean basically having 6 voice channels mixing all the time, which has processing implications.

On top of that, it also means we've signed up to continually update the UI for perpetuity, since we'd have to keep updating it as new characters are added.

I figured as much, oh well.

Let it be known, Squigly is my favorite Skullgirls character, she has been since day one and I give my blessing to this glorious new thread.

<3 all you guys!

WTF, then why'd you tell me Painwheel when I asked who your favorite character was? :p

My worldview is shattered!

I don't even remember ever being asked...and if I said so at NYCC it was because I wanted to be really appreciative of the drawing I got which I do adore and am gonna frame and hang up on my dorm wall soon :3

Ravidrath

I don't even remember ever being asked...and if I said so at NYCC it was because I wanted to be really appreciative of the drawing I got which I do adore and am gonna frame and hang up on my dorm wall soon :3

Ah, I didn't ask - when I was asking if you could do... something for me, you said "I see the reveal of my favorite Skullgirl is imminent."

I thought it was pretty obvious from that art, even covered up, that it was Painwheel and not Squigly. :\

Yo! Can you guys give us a lil' hint who would be the next revealed character?

I mean, the final build of the game should be done by December/SCR, so I know y'all got Squiggly and Umbrella nearly done.

Meanwhile, I really hope Painwheel flight and cancels are extremely fast.

Masaki_

Is it really a good idea to have a tournament (a $1000 one at that) now when most people only get to play SG at Super Arcade during WNF?

I had to close the video when some guy starting talking, but I hope this means there'll be stream time!

Is it really a good idea to have a tournament (a $1000 one at that) now when most people only get to play SG at Super Arcade during WNF?

What would be the reasons against having one?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Its a good idea because it will make tournament players go for it and try the game out.

The fact that not many people have played it makes it more enticing/easier money

Not quite that soon.

...But the reveal might brighten an otherwise "Black" day.
hmm...
Anything to get the word out. It has been kind of dead on SRK/GAF and I haven't seen it on stream in a while now.
I had to close the video when some guy starting talking, but I hope this means there'll be stream time!
Yeah, I've been waiting for some stream action after the dose nearly three weeks back.

It has been nothing but call ins and Capcom fighters on Wednesday night fights.

El Sloth

Banned
Wow, the SCR organizers really hit it out of the park getting all those new games to be there. It looks like its going to be pretty hype.

Masaki_

Top players will no doubt participate, that's not what I'm worried about. Right now, though, the name of the game is UMvC3 (sadly) - and soon, AE2012 - and they won't spare much time practicing other games. That means the level of play will be really, really low.

I think getting the game to be at SCR is interesting, but I hope it doesn't backfire somehow.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Top players will no doubt participate, that's not what I'm worried about. Right now, though, the name of the game is UMvC3 (sadly) - and soon, AE2012 - and they won't spare much time practicing other games. That means the level of play will be really, really low.

I think getting the game to be at SCR is interesting, but I hope it doesn't backfire somehow.

I think the point right now is to get the game into as many hands as possible. Notable people in the FGC like haunts hadnt even played it until very recently, and this is a game that has won many people over once they actually played it. Its not about the level of play, its to win people within the community.

Ravidrath

There were a number of motivations for the money:

1. Show that we're serious about making this competitive
2. Show that we're serious about the community
3. Attract more players to try the game out
4. Attract top players to the tournament
5. Get better stream matches because we attracted better players​

I think we're going to have four stations, so there should be stations for general play and practice, too.

Steaks

WTF, then why'd you tell me Painwheel when I asked who your favorite character was? :p

My worldview is shattered!

Mine is Cerebella.

Armhats are the new thing, y'know.

I do regret not playing the game the few times I had the chance. Being busy is pretty lousy. Well, that's not entirely a true statement, but whatever :)

Dizzy-4U

Jeff Gerstmann talks about Skullgirls in the lastest Giant Bomb podcast. He really praises the tutorial mode and also says pretty good things all around.

Ravidrath

Jeff Gerstmann talks about Skullgirls in the lastest Giant Bomb podcast. He really praises the tutorial mode and also says pretty good things all around.

Oh, awesome - didn't know about that. I'll have to listen.

When we showed it to him, he started going into anti-Capcom mode pretty much completely without prompting... We'd show him a feature, and he'd be impressed by it, and quickly transition into hating on Capcom.

Masaki_

When we showed it to him, he started going into anti-Capcom mode pretty much completely without prompting... We'd show him a feature, and he'd be impressed by it, and quickly transition into hating on Capcom.

What exactly doesn't he like about Capcom? Also, he plays fighting games?

V_Arnold

Oh, I really dislike that attitude. I would love if all people in the world would be able to appreciate and love something without the need to bash a competing game/movie/style/person/nation/food/whatever in the same time.

Oh, I really dislike that attitude. I would love if all people in the world would be able to appreciate and love something without the need to bash a competing game/movie/style/person/nation/food/whatever in the same time.

It's entirely possible that hating Capcom and loving this game have absolutely nothing to do with each other. In fact, it'd be really weird if they did, as this game is really new, and Capcom has been shitty for a few years now.

V_Arnold

It's entirely possible that hating Capcom and loving this game have absolutely nothing to do with each other. In fact, it'd be really weird if they did, as this game is really new, and Capcom has been shitty for a few years now.

Well, it might be possible, but it is not unheard of. I have seen a lot of people praising FPS games, only to continue saying "oh, and of course this is why we cant have nice things, fuck Black Ops and MW, fuck Activision, fuck corridor shooting.." - and now they are on the hate train.

But I did not want to derail the thread at any way with this :D

Ravidrath

Any Londoners or Parisians that read this thread?

"Hating" might've been too strong a word, but he was pretty clearly frustrated by the state of Capcom's games.

http://revergelabs.com/2011/11/pre-gluttony-whiteboard-wednesday/

6393279923_fd6c146692.jpg

6393275913_29b5450ae1.jpg

6393282293_9fcd718524.jpg

6393274679_f9aa5a795f.jpg

6393277141_47ccf6ac29.jpg

6393273457_7ca7756f07.jpg

6393278635_d5baa33975.jpg

6393281233_36532af9f1.jpg

Ravidrath

...So, as you can see, we've moved onto bosses.

I'm going to confirm here and now that Squigly and Umbrella are not going to be in the core game, and both will be early DLC characters.

This wasn't an easy decision: the game's budget couldn't cover 10 characters, we needed bosses, and neither of these characters have a particularly prominent role in the first arc of the story. On top of that, Squigly's gameplay concept is pretty out there, and couldn't be accomplished with our existing tech.

I hope all the Squigly and Umbrella fans out there understand, and I think they'll be worth the wait.

WOW. That came out of left field for me, I was 100% sure the roster was set in stone and to see this ... wow. Though I'm sure you can't comment on it Ravid I think with your mention of "Bosses" we can look forward to the Skullgirl herself (god I hope it's not double) to show up as a playable character in the final release of the game. Can't wait!

I'm a bit NaCl for not having the original eight "Skull Warriors" at the beginning, but I've always wanted to pair up Valentine with Parasoul, just so I wouldn't have to solo main Parasoul.

I'm happy, yet sad, but more happy, because I have a team now. Yuh!

...So, as you can see, we've moved onto bosses.

I'm going to confirm here and now that Squigly and Umbrella are not going to be in the core game, and both will be early DLC characters.

This wasn't an easy decision: the game's budget couldn't cover 10 characters, we needed bosses, and neither of these characters have a particularly prominent role in the first arc of the story. On top of that, Squigly's gameplay concept is pretty out there, and couldn't be accomplished with our existing tech.

I hope all the Squigly and Umbrella fans out there understand, and I think they'll be worth the wait.
2a5y6o9jpg.gif

NOOOOO.gif

image.php

V_Arnold

...and this is when we enter into the "kinda sad" territory, imho.
Mostly because even a big name like BB("big") or KOF has a hard time justifying a crippled roster, especially if it comes out with DLC characters as well.

If the characters are good, I might buy them (currently I love the new char and Parasoul ofc), but honestly, the game would be so much better off with taking some kind of financial risk and come as whole as a package as it is possible. It is your responsibility to impress the masses, so...

Well. Now do not miss 2012 Jan, or the game really will be having a hard time gaining momentum against the competition.

El Sloth

Banned
Still shitty Hsien-Ko in Marvel

No Squigly

SolarPowered can't catch a break when it comes to his preferred characters. Should I put you on Suicide Watch along with Ninaj?

mugwhump

I really, really like the design philosophy behind this game. Especially about the tutorials. Possibly the single biggest problem fighting games have as a genre. This is gonna be my first new fighter in a good while.

This is dumb though:
Q: I'm really curious as to why you hate the mechanic.
A: As someone who played A3 extensively, it was annoying to not kill someone with a super that normally would have, just because they hit buttons properly. You wasted your level that you already were good enough to get an opening to use.
And your opponent was good enough to defend against it. Duh. I hate sitting around doing nothing in combos so much.

Still shitty Hsien-Ko in Marvel

No Squigly

SolarPowered can't catch a break when it comes to his preferred characters. Should I put you on Suicide Watch along with Ninaj?
Kilik was replaced by Justin Bieber in Soul Calibur and Makoto will almost surely be skipped in SFxTekken. I got Kenshiro'd a long time ago.

I appreciate the honesty and I always knew that Squigly was going to be a complicated/powerful character that needed more tuning after seeing some of the concept art.

Crocodile

I'd say I didn't see it coming but.....I did, so there. Bittersweet because while I think Valentine is awesome, Squigly seemed MORE awesome.

Mostly because even a big name like BB("big") or KOF has a hard time justifying a crippled roster, especially if it comes out with DLC characters as well.

If the characters are good, I might buy them (currently I love the new char and Parasoul ofc), but honestly, the game would be so much better off with taking some kind of financial risk and come as whole as a package as it is possible. It is your responsibility to impress the masses, so...

Well. Now do not miss 2012 Jan, or the game really will be having a hard time gaining momentum against the competition.

The game isn't coming out with eight characters and two Day 1 DLC characters so I'm not sure how it's now suddenly crippled. More characters is always better but we've known for a while that budget/time constraints have put an eight character limit on the launch roster. Two characters we assumed would be the first two DLC guys have been swapped with those we assumed would be already included. There is no loss in value.

SO........HYPE!

Azure J

Makoto really isn't making SFxTekken? Non-purchase validated.

On topic, while I was really looking forward to Squiggly, Valentine is a good tradeoff. I'm down for some stupid sexy ninja nurse antics. Take it easy though Ravi, the game is getting all the attention and care in the world and that much is more important to me in the long run. :D

Edit: Oh my God, that last 18 hit combo said "Barely Legal" for the combo descriptor. :lol

(Please please please sneak in a "Barely OK" for 16 hits. Chris Hu would be proud.)

And neither BlazBlue nor KOF are releasing their titles at 15-20 dollar price points. To imply that the roster is crippled because we're replacing Squigly and Umbrella with Valentine and another unrevealed character is a bit far to me.

Top Bottom