• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Spike VGA Teaser Video For PS3 Exclusive [Troll Levels Approaching Maximum]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There is a precedent. Clock Tower. Had very little combat, and worked out the concept of fear in a great way. You have to escape the scissorman. You can't fight or defeat him, and you also have to watch out for stage hazards. There's no combat system, just you trying to escape the place alive. Also, worth noting, that game still gives me nightmares to this day.

Another game that does survival in a pretty decent way without combat is Catherine, although that's a very different type of fear, obviously. You have the fear of dying, and the fear of your wife finding you're cheating on her.

I'm sorry... but you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with Clock Tower. That game is a million years old and in no way related to modern game development. In today's market... that's a PSN game at best. And not handled by a AAA dev.

Catherine, I cannot speak to. I played the demo... the "gameplay" seemed really uninteresting. Like some pyramid block puzzle? Held my attention for 10 seconds. Maybe there was more to that game, but I didn't experience it, so can;t really comment. Even if you're right though, it's niche at best.

You forgot the best of all, Siren.

I've never played this one. :(

Is it good?

There is a precedent. Clock Tower. Had very little combat, and worked out the concept of fear in a great way. You have to escape the scissorman. You can't fight or defeat him, and you also have to watch out for stage hazards. There's no combat system, just you trying to escape the place alive. Also, worth noting, that game still gives me nightmares to this day.

Another game that does survival in a pretty decent way without combat is Catherine, although that's a very different type of fear, obviously. You have the fear of dying, and the fear of your wife finding you're cheating on her.
lol what just happened. You just quoted me but I never said that. Did you quote someone else then somehow put my name in there? lolwut.

Sorry, that info is likely fake..I hope.. The article claims this is a grab from the trailer

http://www.4news.it/images/stories/games/sony/TheLastOfUs/20111208/the-last-of-us_pic002.jpg

I'm not aware of any major game reveal trailer that would knowingly use font that terrible, if they're claiming THAT is a grab from the trailer, then the entire article is confirmed fake. Sony would never use font that horribad in a reveal trailer...then again...

and here's the quote claiming thats a grab from the trailer
What on earth are you talking about? That's the same font from the teaser

Phenomic

The Last of Us potentially being in first person just killed all the interest I have in this title. I don't know why 1st person games just aren't as much fun to me.

Globox_82

Banned
Honestly I lost interest haha I am easy to influence. That fake article killed it for me (for now) it sounds like complete and utter shit. Killer ants?Virus? Fps? Insides of my anus sound more exciting and original.

Kyon

Banned
Honestly I lost interest haha I am easy to influence. That fake article killed it for me (for now) it sounds like complete and utter shit. Killer ants?Virus? Fps? Insides of my anus sound more exciting and original.
Me too :""""( it's like a hard on that just deflated to hell

Evolved1

Ants are pretty awesome...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I've never played this one. :(

Is it good?

It's crazy good. It mostly based on stealth but you have no radar. You have to tune into the zombies (shibito) brains to see what they are seeing.

There is no single protagonist, but a bunch of them, all being normal people. Even little girls.

The narrative structure is genius as well. You play the protagonists at different points across the time line, jumping back and forth between close past and close future as you switch characters. Because of this, stuff you do with a character in one time "frame" can affect others in theirs. For example, you as Guy A can see a blocked door which will be later unlocked by Guy B in the past. So you re-reselect that Guy A chapter again and the door is now unlocked.

It's hard to describe in word but it's basically playing a story that was already written the way it was written. So you redo chapters for figuring out what you are supposed to do in order to progress with the others.

All the while shitting your pants.

Siren was created for Sony by the original creator of Silent Hill (he left Konami soon after that one). He now works on Vita (Gravity Rush)

Catherine, I cannot speak to. I played the demo... the "gameplay" seemed really uninteresting. Like some pyramid block puzzle? Held my attention for 10 seconds. Maybe there was more to that game, but I didn't experience it, so can;t really comment. Even if you're right though, it's niche at best.

Well, I can show you an example that supports my case.

If you don't mind spoilers from a game you'll likely never even bother playing, this cutscene is from pretty late in the game (you can skim through it, just don't miss the couple of key parts), and I think it'll show three different types of fear you'll recognize right away. Also, Catherine also uses ants for fear, anyone who plays the game would know what i'm talking about, haha.

And even though Clock Tower is so old, you were claiming there was no precedent, when there was, a long time ago. I never played Siren...so I can't speak for that game, but i've heard many good things about it. But you are right, a lot of games rely on combat for fear, and the games that don't are generally niche, but that's what makes them so good. They do what the modern devs are afraid of doing, so that's why I support them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's crazy good. It mostly based on stealth but you have no radar. You have to tune into the zombies (shibito) brains to see what they are seeing.

There is no single protagonist, but a bunch of them, all being normal people. Even little girls.

The narrative structure is genius as well. You play the protagonists at different points across the time line, jumping back and forth between close past and close future as you switch characters. Because of this, stuff you do with a character in one time "frame" can affect others in theirs. For example, you as Guy A can see a blocked door which will be later unlocked by Guy B in the past. So you re-reselect that Guy A chapter again and the door is now unlocked.

It's hard to describe in word but it's basically playing a story that was already written the way it was written. So you redo chapters for figuring out what you are supposed to do in order to progress with the others.

All the while shitting your pants.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qfzg_siren-new-translation-tv-cm-2_videogames

BEST SIREN AD

Ants are scary as fuck. Haven't you guys seen like army ants? Those things are monsters.
army-ant-soldier-with-big-huge-jaws.jpg

Seriously, fuck that.

those details from random non english site sound pretty damn fake to me.

well it seems they took ideas people have guess from the teaser videos and then just ran with it.

Evolved1

Well, I can show you an example that supports my case.

If you don't mind spoilers from a game you'll likely never even bother playing, this cutscene is from pretty late in the game, and I think it'll show three different types of fear you'll recognize right away. Also, Catherine also uses ants for fear, anyone who plays the game would know what i'm talking about, haha.

And even though Clock Tower is so old, you were claiming there was no precedent, when there was, a long time ago. I never played Siren...so I can't speak for that game, but i've heard many good things about it. But you are right, a lot of games rely on combat for fear, and the games that don't are generally niche, but that's what makes them so good. They do what the modern devs are afraid of doing, so that's why I support them.

I support them too.

My main point was that this mystery game is supposedly AAA dev'd. So... unlikely to be niche. Working within that context, it would be quite an assumption to say the game would be anything other than combat heavy.

Because that's what big devs do. They make shooters.

edit: well looks like Siren is my next PSN purchase. :)

chri5t

Hi-5, I'm doing the same. Hopefully my gf will... er, nvm.

I look forward to the reveal of a 3rd person atmospheric adventure from SSM in collaboration with another very good dev.

I hope your gf goes down on you too. My fingers are crossed for you man!

WinFonda

That website is just spit balling. Same thing we've been doing in this thread. If they had insider info, they'd be able to show/explain more than what they did rather than just regurgitate theories and guesses most people have already said.

Everything we've seen so far suggests it is a high concept, high atmosphere, very serious horror title. That's about it. Personally I welcome this, seeing as we have so few (good) horror games anymore. And this one also happens to have a huge budget and major first party backing. Yes please.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Wow, sure is a lot of hype here for Kojima's PS3 move zombie FPS co-developed between Epic and Valve.

Only a few more days my friends!

1302112593BKCh4cs.jpg

Giant ants (like bigger than humans) would suck. They'd inevitably be slow and shitty. Make them dog-sized ants who are super fast and scary and hunt in packs

Angry Fork

I love the way Siren was designed, I did find it to be scary and interesting. Unfortunately the controls make it almost unplayable. They're really really bad. And the framerate goes into the shitter whenever you do the double sight mode thing.

I got up to some part I think maybe halfway through the game until I kind of just got bored, maybe I'll try it again soon though. I watched some of the rest on youtube and the story turned crazy weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom