• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures

Durante

It's not that surprising though, this game was too ambitious for a launch game, and it's not made by Naughty Dog. 99,99999999999999999999999999999% of today's werstern devs don't seem to give a shit about IQ these days. I hope it doesn't run like shit too.
I think it's funny that you say this, since eastern devs seem to be, on average, even worse about this than western ones.

But as I said earlier, maybe giving all users the ability to take real screnshots will help with this to some extent. Developers probably don't want their games to be seen as fugly.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Since i got sick of asking for shots of this this _THE_ premium most wanted game for Vita, here are the shots of

MAHJONG FIGHT CLUB ! -wibble-

(whilst this will let me take photos ONLY in certain parts of the game, Disgaea 3 won't let me take photos ANYWHERE :( )

Maj1.jpg

Maj2.jpg

Maj3.jpg

Maj4.jpg

Maj5.jpg

The answer to the question you're probably about to ask is :

I'm very poor at it, i learned the basics several years ago and forgot most of them, yes - i intend to relearn and play.

DCharlie

What's that weird bubble? Some back touch magnification thing?

yup - double tap on the back panel and you can eye glass the rest of the table.

Also , where we are at :

Disgaea 3 - doesn't allow screenshots at any point in the game
UMvC - doesn't allow screenshots at any point in the game (so far)
MJFC - doesn't allow screenshots in set up, title screen, allows in offline game (online not checked yet)

6532134471_edeef0c001_b.jpg

6532144633_f30999a344_b.jpg

DCharlie

Faf, here's the pic from a cam at an -okay- size (below)

6532291073_6b0b146783_b.jpg

From OS level :

Ridpsv.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want insanely huge picture from cam, go here :
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6532291073_7268ff16e5_o.jpg

Hmmm - and still the game definitely looks better in real life than in both those shots . Tired - will check tomorrow :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
wonder why sony allows for dev to block screenshot function. Does microsoft hold a patent to that too? lol.

Cos some devs may want to stop spoilers. That's the explanation yosp gave anyway. They can block its use selectively or...less selectively, if they want.

IMO they should let the user manage it, trust the user to manage spoilers etc. I hope most devs will just leave it be, since it presumably takes more effort to block it (the default is to leave it as is). If someone really wants to spoil a game, they can anyway.

Cos some devs may want to stop spoilers. That's the explanation yosp gave anyway. They can block its use selectively or...less selectively, if they want.

IMO they should let the user manage it, trust the user to manage spoilers etc. I hope most devs will just leave it be, since it presumably takes more effort to block it (the default is to leave it as is). If someone really wants to spoil a game, they can anyway.

ikr. they spoil through text, through videos. or offscreen shots of the game. :\ dev should just give in. not really a good excuse to block it anyways.

DCharlie

right, that's me done for today - tomorrow i -might- add F1 , Shinobodobidbodibi or whatever it's called, Monster Radar, and -someone- said Asphalt wasn't entirely awful but i'm not sure i trust that to be true! ;)

iceatcs

ikr. they spoil through text, through videos. or offscreen shots of the game. :\ dev should just give in. not really a good excuse to block it anyways.

Maybe not free, I mean memory not licence. But again some Vita game look like have lot of resource left over and it shouldn't big memory footprint.

Cheers DC.

Grimmy

Banned
right, that's me done for today - tomorrow i -might- add F1 , Shinobodobidbodibi or whatever it's called, Monster Radar, and -someone- said Asphalt wasn't entirely awful but i'm not sure i trust that to be true! ;)

Shinobodobidbodibi 2 please!

...and Good People Die demo?

Shadow780

Since i got sick of asking for shots of this this _THE_ premium most wanted game for Vita, here are the shots of

MAHJONG FIGHT CLUB ! -wibble-

(whilst this will let me take photos ONLY in certain parts of the game, Disgaea 3 won't let me take photos ANYWHERE :( )

http://www.dcharlie.com/vita/Maj1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.dcharlie.com/vita/Maj2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.dcharlie.com/vita/Maj3.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.dcharlie.com/vita/Maj4.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.dcharlie.com/vita/Maj5.jpg[IMG]

The answer to the question you're probably about to ask is :

I'm very poor at it, i learned the basics several years ago and forgot most of them, yes - i intend to relearn and play.[/QUOTE]

Oh, this is regular Mah Jong...no pretty girls in swimsuits and stuff?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
yup - double tap on the back panel and you can eye glass the rest of the table.

Also , where we are at :

Disgaea 3 - doesn't allow screenshots at any point in the game
UMvC - doesn't allow screenshots at any point in the game (so far)
MJFC - doesn't allow screenshots in set up, title screen, allows in offline game (online not checked yet)

6532134471_edeef0c001_b.jpg

6532144633_f30999a344_b.jpg

But @yosp told me you can take a screenshot of any game and tweet it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We should ask though.

Ask what?

Someone already asked why. He said it was to allow devs to block spoilers if they want. Sony still gives devs a lot of control over what users can and can't do even if it's not always for the better :\ The difference with this vs what Sony has done before is that it's opt-out rather than opt-in.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Are you gonna get a Vita, Wario?

Yup

I think the spoiler argument is a weak one. Yeah it'll make screen capping easier if it's allowed but it won't prevent anyone from taking a off screen shot anyway. I can see devs just turning it off completely and be lazy instead of selecting certain portions of the game to block screenshot function

dallow_bg

nods at old men
But is it .BMP??

Even better, it's .PNG!

gofreak said:
Ask what?

Someone already asked why. He said it was to allow devs to block spoilers if they want. Sony still gives devs a lot of control over what users can and can't do even if it's not always for the better :\ The difference with this vs what Sony has done before is that it's opt-out rather than opt-in.
Ah, didn't realize Yosp had already answered it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yoshida reaffirms the spoiler stance regarding screenshot disabling

@yosp ·More
@Wario64 To avoid spolers, a game can block the function at any point of the game.

fernoca

Awww..disappointed at Ultimate MvC3 not allowing it, oh well.. At least DC did posted the pics; so thanks..and keep rolling on your grave!!! :p

snap0212

Typical Sony. Have cool feature but leave it up the dev if it's usable in game. Didn't work out with the screenshot feature on the ps3, didn't work out for custom soundtracks and it certainly won't work out with this feature on Vita.

Typical Sony. Have cool feature but leave it up the dev if it's usable in game. Didn't work out with the screenshot feature on the ps3, didn't work out for custom soundtracks and it certainly won't work out with this feature on Vita.

From the way Iwata's talking, Nintendo may be doing the same with Wii U's online functionality.

Booo.

Gotta love developers actively removing features from their games.

Sean

Banned
Sony should've just kept things simple like iPhone, an OS-level feature to take a screenshot anywhere with no restrictions and not leaving anything up to the developer.

Developers should not be allowed to shit up screencaps by adding watermarks that aren't actually there in the game. If they're going to do that crap, at least put the name of the game only ("Uncharted: Golden Abyss") rather than completely useless crap like "Copyright 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. All Rights Reserved (R) (TM) Blah Blah".

There are going to be times when that long ass watermark is blocking a HUD element or somebodies name on a leaderboard or whatever which will make the screenshot completely useless.

And developers should also not be allowed to block screenshots, period. What good is a feature if you never know when you'll be allowed to use it.

Yoshida reaffirms the spoiler stance regarding screenshot disabling

@yosp ·More
@Wario64 To avoid spolers, a game can block the function at any point of the game.

I guess I can maybe understand that but it's not like it wasn't possible before. And there's plenty of games that don't use that logic unless there's so major spoilers in MvC3 I don't know about. It's just really stupid more than anything.

Top Bottom