• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2012 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

Rhythm Thief is gonna be interesting.

It has only 18pt on Comgnet, and it's out next thursday...but it's flirting with top 10 from some days, it's really high on Amazon. It could be something like a "casual" hit, in the sense of low preorders but good sales. However, it should be with no dobut the best attempt in "imitating" Layton happened in a while (even better than Treasure Report). And...oh, how strange, an attempt "imitating" Layton could succeed, because the game has something that characterizes it, the rhythm mechanics. Who would have thought!
Yeah seriously, Layton? o_O

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah seriously, Layton? o_O

Eeeeh, for being an "adventure" game with a story and cutscenes, this is why I see something similar to Layton. It's also the way it was defined in the famous rumour list XD

But yeah, you're both right. In fact, I said "imitating". XD

Still talking about this week's releases, I fear Beyond the Labyrinth won't do as much as I hoped. If Google Translated did its work right, it seems Sinobi expect 50k, but I don't know if it's talking about first shipment or whole YTD.

But...Heroes Phantasia? I don't understand what it could do. Yeah, not so much, but...

Busaiku

Woah. I'm guessing the TV series' rating is also much lower than the first one?

They're both lower, but neither have dropped off too much.
The Inazuma Eleven Go movie might end up doing as well or better as the first film, cause it's in more theaters.

The TV show and franchise in general benefited a lot from the World Cup hype.

Eeeeh, for being an "adventure" game with a story and cutscenes, this is why I see something similar to Layton. It's also the way it was defined in the famous rumour list XD

But yeah, you're both right. In fact, I said "imitating". XD

Actually, we don't know how adventur-esque Rhythm Thief is, since we have only seen the music parts.

Mpl90

It's good that now it's first, but we have to see what will happen near the release dates, let's stay calm :p

Media Create look at 2011

http://andriasang.com/comznq/game_sales_4gamer/

004.gif

01: [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo): 1,160,169
02: [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo): 1,080,192
03: [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom): 985,498
04: [PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Square Enix): 746,203
05: [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix): 704,236
06: [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom): 682,651 (4,532,557)
07: [Wii] Rhythm Heaven: 654,403
08: [PS3] Tales of Xillia (Namco Bandai): 627,346
09: [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Professional (Square Enix): 602,664
10: [Wii] Wii Sports Resort Wiimote Plus Pack (Nintendo): 579,220 (802,974)
11: [Wii] Wii Party (Nintendo): 546,738 (2,223,629)
12: [Wii] Kirby Wii (Nintendo): 537,128
13: [3DS] Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo): 483,432
14: [PSP] Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy (Square Enix): 465,198
15: [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Tecmo Koei): 455,996
16: [Wii] Just Dance Wii (Nintendo): 453,411
17: [PS3] Gundam Extreme VS (Namco Bandai): 453,084
18: [3DS] nintendogs+cats (Nintendo): 443,400
19: [NDS] Pokemon Black & White: 433,876 (5,400,613)
20: [PS3] Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami): 425,771
21: [PSP] 2nd Super Robot Taisen Z Hakai-hen (Namco Bandai): 423,972
22: [PS3] Yakuza Of the End: 416,050
23: [PS3] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Version (Capcom) 415,943
24: [Wii] Dragon Quest Collection (Square Enix): 403,953
25: [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity (Sega): 376,534
26: [3DS] Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Level-5): 361,503
27: [PS3] Dark Souls (From Software): 353,549
28: [PSP] AKB1/48 If I Loved an Idol in Guam (Namco Bandai): 350,350
29: [NDS] Atsumete! Kirby (Nintendo): 349,899
30: [PSP] Little Battler eXperience (Level-5): 346,608

matmanx1

Tales of Innocence R is a little higher on the rankings than I would have thought. Tales fans do seem to support games on Sony systems though so maybe that's not so suprising. I know my preorder is already locked in.

Datschge

Tales of Innocence R is a little higher on the rankings than I would have thought. Tales fans do seem to support games on Sony systems though so maybe that's not so suprising. I know my preorder is already locked in.
I like how you put a positive spin on it while it's worse than the farther off Tales of Heroes and at less than half of both its original DS version and the Abyss direct port on 3DS.

The One Piece Musou game's performance on that chart is just absurd. It's been in the top 10 since it was listed as far as I know and is number 1 currently despite being a few months off still. Amazon isn't the best measure I know, but could this thing end up selling a million?

Kenka

I like how you put a positive spin on it while it's worse than the farther off Tales of Heroes and at less than half of both its original DS version and the Abyss direct port on 3DS.
It's a "launch window" Vita title. There is nothing you can determine from its performance given the hardware installed base.

The One Piece Musou game's performance on that chart is just absurd. It's been in the top 10 since it was listed as far as I know and is number 1 currently despite being a few months off still. Amazon isn't the best measure I know, but could this thing end up selling a million?
No.

Also, it is not absurd that it will sell quite well. One Piece is very popular, and it fits the Musou genre quite well, which itself is also popular.

No.

Also, it is not absurd that it will sell quite well. One Piece is very popular, and it fits the Musou genre quite well, which itself is also popular.

I know One Piece is crazy popular there, what I was getting at was that even then this seems to have way more staying power on the charts than you'd normally expect given it's March release.

test_account

XP-39C²
When the DS version of Tales of Innocense was released, the DS installbase was like 13 million. The Vita installbase will be maybe 550k - 600k in comparison. While the userbase doesnt always mean that much, i think that it definitely something to concider when the difference is this huge.

When the DS version of Tales of Innocense was released, the DS installbase was like 13 million. The Vita installbase will be maybe 550k - 600k in comparison. While the userbase doesnt always mean that much, i think that it definitely something to concider when the difference is this huge.

Tales of Eternia was released on PSP during its first months and performed pretty well, wasn't it?

test_account

XP-39C²
Tales of Eternia was released on PSP during its first months and performed pretty well, wasn't it?
It sold about 74k in its first week. LTD is about 193k. The PSP userbase was about 1 million units at that the launch of ToE.

People keep saying that ToI is one of the worse Tales game, but i havnt played any of them, so i cant comment much on that. But if ToI on DS sold about 106k in the first week (LTD = 246k) on a 13 million userbase, then i dont expect much from a remake on a ~600k userbase.

Mpl90

Well, now is number 2, but is pretty surprising that this game is very high in the ranking.

It's the next big Nintendo release for 3DS...and it comes with a free stand. Maybe, this is helping a bit! XD

matmanx1

Did we really need to explain this to you? If the game sells 50k at this point it would be surprising given only 500k or so Vita's have been sold. 50k would normally be a giant failure for a Tales game but considering the install base I think it's about the best that could be hoped for. And I'm sure Namco is hoping the game will show at least some small legs as the userbase grows although that could be a false hope.

Datschge

Did we really need to explain this to you? If the game sells 50k at this point it would be surprising given only 500k or so Vita's have been sold. 50k would normally be a giant failure for a Tales game but considering the install base I think it's about the best that could be hoped for. And I'm sure Namco is hoping the game will show at least some small legs as the userbase grows although that could be a false hope.

Lack of install base doesn't make low software sales any more positive than they are. Arguing for the opposite is just extending the positive spin from the software to the hardware it's being released on. If you want to see surprisingly good sales for a low install base look at the best selling titles on Xbox 360. If we take Comgnet number as an indication Tales of Innocence R won't do such kind of notable numbers either.

Alrus

I'm pretty sure Namco is disappointed by Abyss 3DS' performance so I don't think they'll be really happy if Innocence R does even worse, no matter the install base.

Spiegel

The original plan was to remake Tales games on Vita but I'm sure Namco will scrap those plans when ToIR sells 30k in the first week.

Honestly, I can't see any announced Vita game debuting at >60k (the only exception would probably be FFX but that game might no even get released this year) until Sony lowers the price to 20000Y because a handheld with zero momentum, 25000Y+ as the base price and an uncertain future is the perfect "bomba" maker.

Mpl90

PS1 shipment in Japan is 18,9m. PSP at M-C is almost there.

It's crazy to think that PSP is going to surpass one of the best consoles of all time in term of sales in Japan, when some years ago almost everyone thought it would have reached only Saturn / N64 numbers. Absolutely CRAZY.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lack of install base doesn't make low software sales any more positive than they are. Arguing for the opposite is just extending the positive spin from the software to the hardware it's being released on. If you want to see surprisingly good sales for a low install base look at the best selling titles on Xbox 360. If we take Comgnet number as an indication Tales of Innocence R won't do such kind of notable numbers either.
He didnt said anything like this though. First he said that the Comgnet was a bit higher than he thought. Then he said that he think 50k is the best Bandai Namco can hope for. He didnt say that 50k was a great success or anything like that, so i cant quite see where the spin is.

The original plan was to remake Tales games on Vita but I'm sure Namco will scrap those plans when ToIR sells 30k in the first week.

Honestly, I can't see any announced Vita game debuting at >60k (the only exception would probably be FFX but that game might no even get released this year) until Sony lowers the price to 20000Y because a handheld with zero momentum, 25000Y+ as the base price and an uncertain future is the perfect "bomba" maker.
I still don't know whose idea it was to remake ToI, especially when it's not that good a tales game and isn't that old. It's just begging for failure.

It sold about 74k in its first week. LTD is about 193k. The PSP userbase was about 1 million units at that the launch of ToE.

People keep saying that ToI is one of the worse Tales game, but i havnt played any of them, so i cant comment much on that. But if ToI on DS sold about 106k in the first week (LTD = 246k) on a 13 million userbase, then i dont expect much from a remake on a ~600k userbase.

It's also the first interesting game for Vita after the launch.

Kenka

PSP outselling both the GBA and the PSOne is a testimony to Monster Hunter's selling power.

PSP aslo beat the GBA on a worldwide basis, right ?

Not that lack of Tales legs is a surprise, but I guess Abyss 3DS failing to make the Top 100 (123K lower end) shows us it didn't move much since 107K in late September.

Alrus

RE is pretty low comparatively.

RE has been available for pre-orders for a much longer time so that's kinda normal.

Honestly, while using comgnet is interesting when comparing numbers with previous games in the same franchise too get a vague idea of how they'll perform, Amazon rankings are really pointless to judge a certain game's future.

I'm hoping that Kid Icarus surprises me. I'm not exactly enthused with what we've seen so far, but the game is one of Sakurai's flights of fancy and the last time we had one of those we got Meteos, which was awesome.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's also the first interesting game for Vita after the launch.
It depends on how much new content it has, and how much work that is put into the remake. As someone mentioned above here, ToI isnt really that old of an game either, so it depends on how many that wants to rebuy it. But sure, it shall be interesting to see how much it sells, but i wont expect much.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
RE has been available for pre-orders for a much longer time so that's kinda normal.

Honestly, while using comgnet is interesting when comparing numbers with previous games in the same franchise too get a vague idea of how they'll perform, Amazon rankings are really pointless to judge a certain game's future.

Yeah, I was just surprised that it was below Rhythm Thief. I know that Amazon is not representative of the market as a whole.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This extended amazon and comgnet analysis lately is killing me.

New releases {2012.01.19}

[3DS] Beyond the Labyrinth <RPG> (Konami) (¥5.800)
[3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure <ACT> (Sega) (¥6.090)
[3DS] Runabout 3D Drive: Impossible <RCE> (Rocket Company) (¥6.090)

[PSV] WipEout 2048 <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)

[NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (New Best Price! 2000) <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.100)

[PSP] Heroes Phantasia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Heroes Phantasia [Limited Edition] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PSP] Kannou Mukashi Banashi Portable # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Kannou Mukashi Banashi Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)

[WII] Kiki Trick <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥5.800)
[WII] Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes - Double Pack (Best Price! Reprint) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)

[PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)
[PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Way of Heaven (PlayStation 3 the Best) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.040)
[PS3] Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll (Koei Tecmo the Best) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥2.940)

[360] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.090)
[360] Onechanbara Z: Kagura <ACT> (D3 Publisher) (¥7.140)
[360] PowerUp Heroes <FTG> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥5.880)
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Platinum Collection) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)

Mpl90

This extended amazon and comgnet analysis lately is killing me.

New releases {2012.01.19}

[3DS] Beyond the Labyrinth <RPG> (Konami) (¥5.800) Unknown
[3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure <ACT> (Sega) (¥6.090) Should do good
[3DS] Runabout 3D Drive: Impossible <RCE> (Rocket Company) (¥6.090) Uberbomba

[PSV] WipEout 2048 <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980) Bomba?

[NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (New Best Price! 2000) <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.100) Not bad for a budget release

[PSP] Heroes Phantasia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280) Mmh...
[PSP] Heroes Phantasia [Limited Edition] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PSP] Kannou Mukashi Banashi Portable # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090) Unknown
[PSP] Kannou Mukashi Banashi Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)

[WII] Kiki Trick <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥5.800) Complete utter fail
[WII] Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes - Double Pack (Best Price! Reprint) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)

[PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.090) I don't know
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990) Shouldn't do bad
[PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Way of Heaven (PlayStation 3 the Best) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.040) Mmmh...
[PS3] Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll (Koei Tecmo the Best) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥2.940) Nothing

[360] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.090) Little numbers
[360] Onechanbara Z: Kagura <ACT> (D3 Publisher) (¥7.140) Eh, could do """good"""
[360] PowerUp Heroes <FTG> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥5.880) Nothing
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Platinum Collection) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990) Nothing

My impressions bolded.
And all of you, remember: until next week Nintendo's Investor Meeting, Kiki Trick is the last brand new Wii release for a while...the next one is Mario Party 9, at the end of April.

Kiki Trick could be a decent sleeper hit.

Yes, also creator of Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi Collection.

I think it'll be much harder for it to happen on Wii. Also I believe Sakamoto started up the Wario Ware series. Really besides Other M his contributions to low budget, casual, million + selling games the past two gens have been pretty good. Probably why he was allowed to take a big risk/budget with Other M.

[NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (New Best Price! 2000)

And I'm still waiting for the fucking english localization. A mess.

Top Bottom