• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaupload shut down, employees indicted

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It is who owns the IP. Or range of IP's that is.

I just have a hunch it isn't legit, as in, not the megaupload guys.

hosted in holland and there is a dutch national in the shit down there in NZ.

Of course those dicks at BREIN also are dutch.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd never even heard of MegaVideo or any of the other sister sites until today.

Bollocks

well, doesn't bother me I've never used that site, 99% of the content was illegal anyway, they made a little fortune off of other peoples (c) material so I would say justice served.

Mael

well, doesn't bother me I've never used that site, 99% of the content was illegal anyway, they made a little fortune off of other peoples (c) material so I would say justice served.

At least your username is well chosen,
care to tell us where you got this statistic?

Steelrain

Oh well. If these sites get caught doing something shitty then they deserve to be taken down.

The whole Mega family sucked anyway. If you actually paid money to use that shit...lol

Ashhong

Oh well. If these sites get caught doing something shitty then they deserve to be taken down.

The whole Mega family sucked anyway. If you actually paid money to use that shit...lol

Megaupload premium combined with their Download manager was awesome, so you obviously have no idea what you're talking about...lol

jorma

is now taking requests
god damnit new zealand, bending over like little bitches for the US again on internet law. Try and be more like france, you fucking pussies.

(3 strikes law just got passed there) despite the three strikes law not actually being in effect in the US, they implemented it at the request of the US.

Dumbass country.

France already has HADOPI wich is pretty much like SOPA, inlcuding a three strikes law that requires you to prove your innocence. Their internet laws are nothing to strive for.

Mael

France already has HADOPI wich is pretty much like SOPA, inlcuding a three strikes law that requires you to prove your innocence. Their internet laws are nothing to strive for.

You're full of shit.
The law and the HADOPI agency do nothing to websites AT ALL.
It's only targeting BitTorrent users too, based on IP adresses provided by chosen companies.

jorma

is now taking requests
You're full of shit.
The law and the HADOPI agency do nothing to websites AT ALL.
It's only targeting BitTorrent users too, based on IP adresses provided by chosen companies.

Dude, there is nothing "only" about that. HADOPI is just as a shitty pice of legislation as SOPA is. And i'm pretty sure Sarkozy would be delighted in taking down foreign websites if he had that power.

France is no shining beacon when it comes to internet legislation.

Cygnus X-1

We're declaring anarchy, then? Can I go outside and shoot police officers?

Lol. What a crazy example you're bringing.

Shutting down websites because of sharing is not a priority. It's just service of big companies, once again. Help people finding a job is much, much more important and here the government is making less than nothing.

There are probably hundreds of sites that collect megaupload links and link to thousands of movies. I had a three month trial and any movie I thought of was available. I can see why people like the Megaupload service, you pay a flat price and get ALL (90% of everything you'd want to watch) tv and movies available.

At least torrents are being passed around by individual users instead of being hosted on private servers where some asshole CEO is reaping billions.

Valnen

Lol. What a crazy example you're bringing.

Shutting down websites because of sharing is not a priority. It's just service of big companies, once again. Help people finding a job is much, much more important and here the government is making less than nothing.

It's not a priority to try to stop the law being broken in massive numbers? Really?

Mael

Dude, there is nothing "only" about that. HADOPI is just as a shitty pice of legislation as SOPA is. And i'm pretty sure Sarkozy would be delighted in taking down foreign websites if he had that power.

France is no shining beacon when it comes to internet legislation.

I've never said that France was doing anything good or not.
I'm saying it is NOT SOPA, like AT ALL.
No one cared all that much about HADOPI because it was irrelevant by the time it was signed anyway, SOPA is totally different.
You're claiming that walking on dogshit is the same as getting pushed in a pool full of shit.
I repeat HADOPI had ZERO impact on Google and the likes which is quite different from SOPA.
You can scream till you're blue in the head that won't change that they're really different.

I'm not even sure anyone who worked on HADOPI have even heard of DNS.

Cygnus X-1

Google can potentially host illegal content.

Here is an example: I can copy all the pages of a book, write them in Google doc, and save them.

Why isn't the FBI shutting down Google?

Again, this only make people wonder if government is for the people or for big companies only.

jaxword

Wasn't the States the nation of freedom once?

No, it never was, who told you that?

We only recently got rid of slavery.

We have people starving and dying of curable diseases in (theoretically) the richest first world nation in the world.

The wealthy can completely destroy the lower/middle class' income and suffer zero consequences but a bunch of poorly-run demonstrations that were ended because of the cold.

The US has always been, since day one, the nation of the rich.

jorma

is now taking requests
I wonder how long it will be until it's proposed that downloading an mp3 results in jail time?

In sweden, facilitating the copyright infringement of 23 albums, 7 movies, 4 computer games and one season of prison break is currently deemed a crime worthy of a 1 year prison sentence and a 3 million euro fine.

And this is in sweden, where sentencing is normally lighter. It probably translates to 2 or even 3 american years in prison.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

oh I was referring to the refusal to extradite people to US for trial rather than their copyright laws. Internet sucks in Germany and France, Netherlands is where it's at (despite the existence of BREIN there)

Cygnus X-1

It's not a priority to try to stop the law being broken in massive numbers? Really?

Then you have to do it with all websites and all torrents and all sharing programs.

And youtube? How many countless mp3 are uploaded in there that breaks the law? You can find almost any song ever existed in good quality.

Banning websites like that is just a limitation of freedom. They could have imposed to megaupload to cancel all the files that breaks the copyright upon demand. Like youtube. Why not?

lenovox1

Again, this only make people wonder if government is for the people or for big companies only.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Here's the major difference. Google has a storage business that sometimes people use to store illegal material. But Google self-polices, they will shut your ass down (you=individual user) if something shady goes on.

MegaUpload was an illegal activity service fronting as a storage company. They profited directly from having illegal material, were slow about taking that illegal material down (if they ever did), and were allegedly racketeering.

Now, imagine that these were two residential storage companies operating just down the street from you. Which business gets raided and shut down by the Feds, and which one doesn't?

What I don't understand is why is MU not covered by safe arbor of DMCA...

They didn't take shit down. Allegedly, when asked to, they'd just take down one link, and put up a new one.

Cygnus X-1

Nope. Nope. Nope. Here's the major difference. Google has a storage business that sometimes people use to store illegal material. But Google self-polices, they will shut your ass down (you=individual user) if something shady goes on.

MegaUpload was an illegal activity service fronting as a storage company. They profited directly from having illegal material, were slow about taking that illegal material down (if they ever did), and were allegedly racketeering.

Now, imagine that these were two residential storage companies operating just down the street from you. Which business gets raided and shut down by the Feds, and which one doesn't?

Than, again, sending them an ultimatum to adapt their policies and slowly suppress all illegal data would have done the job! Like fucking youtube!

Shutting down a website like this also cancel all legal data and all people who paid for that service are screwed!

Mael

Any proof of that?
I mean youtube do profit heavily from having copyrighted material after all and the racket? what makes you think they were engaged in this activity?

Because they were actively trying to hide the copyrighted material by changing the URL instead of just removing the material. Read the indictment.

I missed that, thank you.

I'm sorry to be the first one who says this. But it sure sounds like some stealth piracy in the thread. Some, not everyone of course. Let it be downloading files or streaming, megaupload was about the most relaxed online service regarding copyrighted stuff. I remember when I had a problem with my cs4 collection (student) and I needed to finish homework. Megaupload mirror was alive like a year after the initial upload.

Maybe they didnt comply as much with files takedown as they should have. Also, promoting the users with money is probably one of the definitive aspects of the takedown of mega.

lenovox1

Than, again, sending them an ultimatum to adapt their policies and slowly suppress all illegal data would have done the job! Like fucking youtube!

Shutting down a website like this also cancel all legal data and all people who paid for that service are screwed!

Have you (or Mael) read the emails? They were posted not much earlier in this thread. This isn't a case of them not knowing what they were doing, and then them changing just like that. This took the Feds two years to pull off.

And, like I said, the legitimate storage business was apparently just a front. When some business is doing something very illegal on this scale, you don't just take down the bad parts. Like, when the Feds recently took down all of those I-HOPs for the owner's criminal activity, they didn't just let the people in the kitchen keep making pancakes. That's what a raid is, seizing all of the property.

ETA: And I get that this is the Internet, and America's actions affected more than just it's citizens, and blah blah blah. But they were doing business in the US (servers in VA), and were complicit in the promotion of illegal materials, and they went down just like the stereotypical Asian lady selling knockoff handbags in the back of her Chinese buffet.

"Police have released more details about the raid, which took place just before 7am this morning.

Seventy-six police officers were involved in the raid at Coatesville mansion, which saw 18 luxury vehicles worth an estimated $6 million seized. Shotguns, artwork and electronic equipment were also taken from the house, and up to $11 million in cash from various accounts, including government bonds, is being held by police. Fifteen people, including children, were in the mansion at the time of the raid.

Detective Inspector Grant Wormald said entry to the Dotcom mansion was less than straightforward. “Police arrived in two marked police helicopters. Despite our staff clearly identifying themselves, Mr Dotcom retreated into the house and activated a number of electronic locking mechanisms,” Wormald said. “While police neutralised these locks he then further barricaded himself into a safe room within the house which officers had to cut their way into.”

Wormald said once police managed to get into the room, they found Dotcom near a firearm which appeared to be a shortened shotgun.
“It was definitely not as simple as knocking at the front door” said he Wormald. A total of 10 search warrants were executed at residential and business addresses across Auckland."

dotcom.jpg

Mael

Have you (or Mael) read the emails? They were posted not much earlier in this thread. This isn't a case of them not knowing what they were doing, and then them changing just like that. This took the Feds two years to pull off.

And, like I said, the legitimate storage business was apparently just a front. When some business is doing something very illegal on this scale, you don't just take down the bad parts. Like, when the Feds have recently took down all of those I-HOPs for the owner's criminal activity, they didn't just let the people in the kitchen keep making pancakes. That's what a raid is, seizing all of the property.

It's not in the OP and the thread is quite long so I must say I haven't read them (which is why I kept asking for proofs btw).
If there's proof that it's indeed a front for illegal activities like money laundering (aka real crimes unlike copyright infrigement), I'm totally ok with the closing since it's probably illegal in every country anyway.

lenovox1

It's not in the OP and the thread is quite long so I must say I haven't read them (which is why I kept asking for proofs btw).
If there's proof that it's indeed a front for illegal activities like money laundering (aka real crimes unlike copyright infrigement), I'm totally ok with the closing since it's probably illegal in every country anyway.

The ArsTechnica article that lays this all out. It's all nice and bolded in alr1ghtstart's original post.

Antagon

How is making money of copyright infringement not a real crime? These are not people that are downloading a show once in a while, these are people that have made millions by abusing other companies work in an illegal way.

Mael

common sense
The flies well in court last I heard.

The ArsTechnica article that lays this all out. It's all nice and bolded in alr1ghtstart's original post.
Thanks I'll get to it.

How is making money of copyright infringement not a real crime? These are not people that are downloading a show once in a while, these are people that have made millions by abusing other companies work in an illegal way.
Yeah, huh making money breaking a monopoly given by the society to individuals in exchange for said work entering the public domain is not exactly a real crime when the public domain had basically nothing of note enter its graps since....Disney decided it didn't want Mickey to enter the public domain.
When we get a real expiration of that monopoly is when it won't be anything but a sham.

Tworak

you mean like Google?

it's obviously an intricate issue but shutting down everything that even just a tiny bit involves piracy is a motherfucking dumbshit idea.

good riddance to megaupload, though. the owners are clearly retar-- misguided.

E-phonk

Banned
Killing michael jackson: 4 years in prison. Only half has to be served
Sharing michael jackson albums: potentially 5 years in prison

Good job world.

Mael

Having read that, it's no wonder that they were shut down, I mean they knew what they were doing and pretty much knew the risk.
We'll see how the investigation goes I guess.

I still see nothing about money laundering though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom