• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware bans SW:TOR player over internet meme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

At this point I'm actually afraid to post on the Bioware/EA forums and will probably never will. What a way to create a community.

Yeah, i'm afraid of getting anything banned, and is the same reason I don't use Origin either.

It's scary to think you can lose all that money in games for a joke.

Renmei

Banned
SWTOR is rated "Teen" meaning you have to be 13+ so.. this guy is an idiot. Tis alright anonymous BW forum mod, I didn't know this was some obscure 4chan meme either~

That's the rumor that they do, currently.

All "EA is evil" rumors are under heavy suspect from me. People like to create validation as to why this thing is not only flawed, but purposefully evil.

Seriously, talk to a few people and I'm sure you'll come across the guy with the theory that EA is using mind control on BioWare.

mavs

SWTOR is rated "Teen" meaning you have to be 13+ so.. this guy is an idiot. Tis alright anonymous BW forum mod, I didn't know this was some obscure 4chan meme either~

You don't have to be 13+ to play the game, you have to be 13+ to post on the forums. And if you get banned from the forums you're banned from the game.

SBjrT.jpg

on other forums where this rule was enforced, you could get the ban reversed by sending in proof you weren't underage, or having your parents fill out a form or whatever.

It doesn't appear that they gave this person that option, to appeal with proof that he is not underage.

Yeah gamefaqs bans you on the spot if you even joke about being underage. COPPA seems to be a big deal. Remains to be seen if Bioware will overturn if there's proof.

Heh and to think that I was actually joking about that one. Man EA is one fucked up company.

Yeah, rumors are always true about things we don't like! Especially the ones that are too ridiculous to be true in any way, shape, or form!

Do you guys honestly believe that, even if this stuff is happening, that EA is doing it on purpose?

Renmei

Banned
My question is whether or now Bioware really could get sued for knowingly allowing some 12- yr old kid from posting on their forum. Oh wait, American company nevermind~
It isn't even like this is an obvious meme like "over 9000", "lolcats" or "orly" where even the unhip could probably tell they're some sort of in-joke.

Riposte

Whether it is a meme is pretty unimportant. The joke is pretty self-explanatory. You'd have to be a goddamn robot to take everything you read on a message board literally.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
They aren't completely useless, if it weren't for the official boards they probably wouldn't be working on things like combat delay the way they are.

What I mean is that I wouldn't post on the official boards in fear of being banned from my game.

My question is whether or now Bioware really could get sued for knowingly allowing some 12- yr old kid from posting on their forum. Oh wait, American company nevermind~
It isn't even like this is an obvious meme like "over 9000", "lolcats" or "orly" where even the unhip could probably tell they're some sort of in-joke.

Canadian company, American branch. But I still think it applies.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, rumors are always true about things we don't like! Especially the ones that are too ridiculous to be true in any way, shape, or form!

Do you guys honestly believe that, even if this stuff is happening, that EA is doing it on purpose?

Any other company I would probably say no, but I've already been exposed to 17 years of evil EA antics to be surprised by anything they do anymore. They make a lot of "mistakes".

Any other company I would probably say no, but I've already been exposed to 17 years of evil EA antics to be surprised by anything they do anymore. They make a lot of "mistakes".

I don't quite think that people know what evil actually entails when talking about companies that make luxury Want items.

Evil is what Countrywide and the other banks knowingly did to families everywhere.
Evil is not making a crappy online system.

Valnen

What I mean is that I wouldn't post on the official boards in fear of being banned from my game.

It's not particularly difficult to avoid such things, you just have to watch what you say a bit more than you otherwise would. Just treat them like meeting a girlfriend's parents for the first time or something and you'll be fine.

My issue with this sort of moderation is not necessarily how harsh it is, but how inconsistent it can be. It doesn't really clean up the boards because they only seem to ban select people who act up, not everyone who does. Almost like they're playing favorites. But I know it's probably because they have moderation teams that are woefully understaffed.

GavinGT

Banned
It's not particularly difficult to avoid such things, you just have to watch what you say a bit more than you otherwise would. Just treat them like meeting a girlfriend's parents for the first time or something and you'll be fine.

Or just avoid official forums because they're always bastions of concentrated stupidity.

Heh and to think that I was actually joking about that one. Man EA is one fucked up company.

They aren't charging people, I know two people who were banned because of Ilum.

The amount of hate EA gets is making everyone stupid, what is wrong with you people?

Derrick01

Banned
I don't quite think that people know what evil actually entails when talking about companies that make luxury Want items.

Evil is what Countrywide and the other banks knowingly did to families everywhere.
Evil is not making a crappy online system.

I know you have an extreme hard on for defending everything EA and their extensions do but I hope you know they have a huge history of doing extremely dickish things to their employees and customers. It's pretty well documented even before Wikipedia came along.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they were charging people after banning them.

I know you have an extreme hard on for defending everything EA and their extensions

Nope, just a hard-on for defending against mis-information, hyperbole, and stupidity.

do but I hope you know they have a huge history of doing extremely dickish things to their employees and customers.

That they do. Believe it or not, I'm not a dumbfuck.

Valnen

Or just avoid official forums because they're always bastions of concentrated stupidity.

I avoid discussions in them, but they are useful for providing feedback in an MMO, because they do read and take everything into account (which can be both good and bad).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is funny until you realize it cuts off access from a game someone paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom