• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, I can't wait to see some games for this thing. The fact that NSMBMii was apparently just a concept demo after all (it had to be if the 3DS game is coming out this year) makes me even more curious and excited as to what the "killer app" launch title from Nintendo will be.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's Star Fox from EAD Tokyo 1. Takao Shimizu, the lead producer there, just happens to be the director of only the greatest title in the series, Star Fox 64. I speculate that the comment Miyamoto made about killing the franchise if the 3DS remake didn't sell was a complete joke and done w/ a kind of *wink* to those in the know.

There's just so much potential in the franchise. I know there's a vocal subset here who want the franchise given to Treasure, which would make it a kickass rail shooter. That would certainly be rad. However, the IP has SO much more potential than this, and I think Nintendo realize it. If they do resurrect it, I believe they'll continue to explore a variety of levels with different play styles. Just cuz Namco didn't completely nail the on-foot missions (although, as I've stated in the past, I had a blast w/ SF: Assualt), doesn't mean it can't be done. If anything, a 3rd person shooter minus the violence may be just what the doctor ordered for Wii U. Plus, as some of you may know, the multiplayer in SF: Assault was quite extensive. I can envision a number of possibilities which might exploit Wii U's asymmetrical multiplayer and online capabilities (see other pilots faces on the touch screen w/ some augmented video comm perhaps?).

Finally, I want to be blown away by the graphics. After seeing what EAD Tokyo did w/ the outer space environments in Super Mario Galaxy, imagining what they can achieve on the ridiculously more powerful Wii U hardware just lights me up. Also, their fur shading in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and SMG is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Bottom line: Star Fox Wii U has the potential to be something very special indeed. Make it so!

God, I can't wait to see some games for this thing. The fact that NSMBMii was apparently just a concept demo after all (it had to be if the 3DS game is coming out this year) makes me even more curious and excited as to what the "killer app" launch title from Nintendo will be.

I like that I was saying this literally since E3 but no one believed me until the investor conference.

It wasn't even something that needed a leap of faith! They explicitly said nothing at E3 was an actual game!

Forgot about that little comment he made. Would be a pretty awesome collaboration if his team designed some of the ground action levels while EAD Tokyo 1 handled the space missions. Wonder how his style of action would translate to a Star Fox game. Has Fox McCloud been training in the martial arts during his time off? Smash Bros seems to indicate he has at least some CQC background.

I like that I was saying this literally since E3 but no one believed me until the investor conference.

It wasn't even something that needed a leap of faith! They explicitly said nothing at E3 was an actual game!

Yeah, there was alot of confusing reporting going on around that time. Remind me to listen to you next time. :D

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

It is either coming out to Wii U and 3DS, or the Wii U work-in-progress version was shifted to the 3DS because quite frankly they needed another first-party killer app for this year.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's Star Fox from EAD Tokyo 1. Takao Shimizu, the lead producer there, just happens to be the director of only the greatest title in the series, Star Fox 64. I speculate that the comment Miyamoto made about killing the franchise if the 3DS remake didn't sell was a complete joke and done w/ a kind of *wink* to those in the know.

I think that both Star Fox and F-Zero may be handled by EAD Kyoto Group No.5. They were in charge of Star Fox 64 3D, and it is mainly because Takaya Imamura (F-zero, Star Fox character creator) is one of the main planners in this division. However, the best case scenario is EAD Kyoto Group No.5 does the design and music, and some sub-developer does most of the programming and modeling since i doubt Nintendo is going to dispense 100 guys to work on HD Star Fox and F-Zero at this point. But EAD being the main developer with a sub-developer (like Zelda 3D and Star Fox 3D) is good enough. EAD was not co-developing games until this recently. Probably to get more first-party content out in general.

While Kamiya is one of the best directors / planners in the industry. You have to admit the on-rain shooter potion in Bayonetta was awful.

I still don't believe they just made that as a tech demo. Maybe they switched it to 3DS because they think that platform needs it more this year than the Wii U needs it at launch. NSMB is a game with very broad appeal, so it makes sense to wait until the user base is larger in order to sell more units. The Wii U NSMB can come out next year or the year after.

It is either coming out to Wii U and 3DS, or the Wii U work-in-progress version was shifted to the 3DS because quite frankly they needed another first-party killer app for this year.

I'd guess the latter. I suppose it's possible that they might be making the same game for both platforms (presumably with some kind of cross-platform play ala SSB). Possible but unlikely...

I think that both Star Fox and F-Zero may be handled by EAD Kyoto Group No.5. They were in charge of Star Fox 64 3D, and it is mainly because Takaya Imamura (F-zero, Star Fox character creator) is one of the main planners in this division. However, the best case scenario is EAD Kyoto Group No.5 does the design and music, and some sub-developer does most of the programming and modeling since i doubt Nintendo is going to dispense 100 guys to work on HD Star Fox and F-Zero at this point. But EAD being the main developer with a sub-developer (like Zelda 3D and Star Fox 3D) is good enough. EAD was not co-developing games until this recently. Probably to get more first-party content out in general.

I enjoy your analyses of Nintendo's internal teams. Why don't you think Shimizu would be interested in the franchise? I know Q Games is now back in the picture, but their last Star Fox title, while presenting some really cool concepts, was not a smash hit. How comprehensive is the communication between Kyoto and Tokyo? Could not Imamura serve as a consultant in Kyoto if it was being worked on in Tokyo?

Do you think Nintendo has lost faith in the IP? Do they not think the characters are marketable anymore? I'd think if they designed a Wii U title with the same amount of care and internal resources as Star Fox 64, but with modern design sensibilities, the result could easily reach a million sold - especially if we're talking launch window. And we are talking launch window, no? EAD Tokyo 1 have not released a full scale title in quite some time.

3D Mario for launch.

That, or a new IP.

Koizumi got his own team, EAD Tokyo 2, after SMG. They went on to do SMG2 and SM 3D Land (haven't played the latter yet, but I hear good things). I see no reason to take them off 3D Mario duty for the time being. Plus, Koizumi said around E3 last year that he was narrowing down his ideas for the Wii U game, confirming his team is handling it.

Koizumi got his own team, EAD Tokyo 2, after SMG. They went on to do SMG2 and SM 3D Land (haven't played the latter yet, but I hear good things). I see no reason to take them off 3D Mario duty for the time being. Plus, Koizumi said around E3 last year that he was narrowing down his ideas for the Wii U game, confirming his team is handling it.

I was joking, mostly.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I feel like it would be a huge surprise at e3 for Iwata to announce a 'secret' 3D Mario for launch/launch window.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'd guess the latter. I suppose it's possible that they might be making the same game for both platforms (presumably with some kind of cross-platform play ala SSB). Possible but unlikely...

It is an interesting thought. But were grasping on straws.

I enjoy your analyses of Nintendo's internal teams. Why don't you think Shimizu would be interested in the franchise? I know Q Games is now back in the picture, but their last Star Fox title, while presenting some really cool concepts, was not a smash hit. How comprehensive is the communication between Kyoto and Tokyo? Could not Imamura serve as a consultant in Kyoto if it was being worked on in Tokyo?

I think the fact that EAD Kyoto Group No. 5 handled Star Fox 64 3D is the proof in the pudding. But if you think about it. Every EAD Group / Producer revolves around at least one key franchise. We actually are not sure yet what franchise Shimizu / Tokyo Group 1 will work with. I am actually thinking it might be Donkey Kong. Especially if Retro Studios moves on to other properties instead of Donkey Kong Country Returns 2. Or they could be working on some type of big social game. Shield pose? Dance game? Who knows.

Do you think Nintendo has lost faith in the IP? Do they not think the characters are marketable anymore? I'd think if they designed a Wii U title with the same amount of care and internal resources as Star Fox 64, but with modern design sensibilities, the result could easily reach a million sold - especially if we're talking launch window. And we are talking launch window, no? EAD Tokyo 1 have not released a full scale title in quite some time.

Miyamoto feels that F-Zero and Star Fox are legacy games for EAD and Nintendo. I think his statements show concern that he wants them to continue to be relevant. But obviously they require resources. Again, as for Shimizu and Tokyo Group 1. We shall find out soon what he will be focusing on.

Personally I'm not sure why people are taking the word of someone with 4 posts seriously at all lacking that verification from another source. I mean, maybe Arkam IS an insider with deep personal knowledge but his innuendo doesn't seem to be much more than hope on his part. It doesn't seem to fit with the latest rumors either, it strikes me as an outlier and as an outlier should be treated with suspicion.

This is especially true in my view because, even taking Arkam at their word they could be suggesting a lot of things because really, it's not so much a question of how much Nintendo's hardware is advancing, it's more narrowly a question of how much Sony and MS's hardware is advancing. That gap in technology was the problem last generation but he never actually addresses it, he seems to speak to strictly the Wii U. I'm going to guess it's FUD pending independent verification.
lol forrealz. No offense to arkam but we get a lot of people here who also have sources and who constantly back up their claims and discuss them. And then this wild arkam appears with this driveby expectations shooter, even though it directly counters all the evidence from outside sources, as well as our very own in this thread.

radcliff

My theory is that EAD 4 is making New Super Mario World for 3DS and then a 2D Mario Platformer for Wii U in 2014. I believe EAD Tokyo 1 is making a 3D Mario platformer for Wii U’s launch (or launch window). I also think EAD Tokyo 2 will make a 3DS Zelda game with Grezzo (Koizumi has said he would like to make another Zelda, both Grezzo and Koizumi have experience with the series, and both Grezzo and Koizumi’s teams are in Tokyo) due in 2014, and then make a follow-up to EAD Tokyo 1’s Mario platformer in 2016. This would give Nintendo a Mario title for Wii U every 2 years (2012- 3d Mario platformer by EAD Tokyo 1, 2014- 2D Mario platformer by EAD 4, and 2016- 3d Mario platformer by EAD Tokyo 2.)

It is an interesting thought. But were grasping on straws.

I think the fact that EAD Kyoto Group No. 5 handled Star Fox 64 3D is the proof in the pudding. But if you think about it. Every EAD Group / Producer revolves around at least one key franchise. We actually are not sure yet what franchise Shimizu / Tokyo Group 1 will work with. I am actually thinking it might be Donkey Kong. Especially if Retro Studios moves on to other properties instead of Donkey Kong Country Returns 2. Or they could be working on some type of big social game. Shield pose? Dance game? Who knows.

Miyamoto feels that F-Zero and Star Fox are legacy games for EAD and Nintendo. I think his statements show concern that he wants them to continue to be relevant. But obviously they require resources. Again, as for Shimizu and Tokyo Group 1. We shall find out soon what he will be focusing on.

Hmm. A 3D DK platformer the calibur of SMG would definitely be a system seller. And DKCR did a great job of bringing the franchise back into the forefront of Nintendo's IP stable. We shall see indeed.

I still want to see Nintendo go all-out on Star Fox. Or at least give it to someone that will, whether it be Kamiya or whoever. Hell, give it to the Ace Combat team again. But only allow them to do the flying levels and have an internal team handle on-foot sections, if they decide to include those types of levels at all. Realistically, I don't see that happening, but hey, a guy can dream.

jacksrb

My theory is that EAD 4 is making New Super Mario World for 3DS and then a 2D Mario Platformer for Wii U in 2014. I believe EAD Tokyo 1 is making a 3D Mario platformer for Wii U’s launch (or launch window). I also think EAD Tokyo 2 will make a 3DS Zelda game with Grezzo (Koizumi has said he would like to make another Zelda, both Grezzo and Koizumi have experience with the series, and both Grezzo and Koizumi’s teams are in Tokyo) due in 2014, and then make a follow-up to EAD Tokyo 1’s Mario platformer in 2016. This would give Nintendo a Mario title for Wii U every 2 years (2012- 3d Mario platformer by EAD Tokyo 1, 2014- 2D Mario platformer by EAD 4, and 2016- 3d Mario platformer by EAD Tokyo 2.)

I think that it will be similar to the Wii reveal, with a new Mario shown but will be out later than Christmas...

Also think that we will see Retro's new game but I don't think it will make Christmas either (although it maybe will be after launch but before Christmas - a la Melee and Pikman for the GameCube launch).

A 3D DK platformer the calibur of SMG would definitely be a system seller. And DKCR did a great job of bringing the franchise back into the forefront of Nintendo's IP stable. We shall see indeed.

Watch them pull an Other M with the story. Hours of 'The Banana...The Banana...Trixie...The Banana...The Banana...The Banana.'

I really doubt they'll show off a Mario for the Wii U at E3.
They're already going to be pushing Mario 2D for the 3DS.
Rather, they'll focus on titles like Retro's game and Pikmin.

Watch them pull an Other M with the story. Hours of 'The Banana...The Banana...Trixie...The Banana...The Banana...The Banana.'

Haha, good god. I had to stick Other: M into my backlog/graveyard after a few hours. It pains me to say that. I should give it another shot.

I wonder who is on the EAD Tokyo 1 team right now, though? Did Koizumi take all the Mario staff with him?

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know, I've been thinking.

Nintendo got the help of a few developers now to help develop their games. (Monolith for Skyward Sword, Retro for MK7) and sometimes downright having a third party making their game (Team Ninja for Other M, Tecmo Koei for Pokemon x Ambition).

Do you think that for games on the Wii U, Nintendo would try and ask even more third parties for help?

Nintendo got the help of a few developers now to help develop their games. (Monolith for Skyward Sword, Retro for MK7) and sometimes downright having a third party making their game (Team Ninja for Other M, Tecmo Koei for Pokemon x Ambition).

Do you think that for games on the Wii U, Nintendo would try and ask even more third parties for help?

Of course they will.
Why wouldn't they?
They choose third parties that have similar philosophies as them, and then they guide them along in the process.
The question should be which third parties they'll ask specifically.
I think that getting Shinen to make some games for their download service would be amazing.

Penguin

I think they have to..
I mean for one helps them build relationships with those 3rd parties (I mean look at how much they've gotten out of Tecmo with the Other M/Pokemon thing)
And it helps them fill the voids in their line-up

Caramello

I really doubt they'll show off a Mario for the Wii U at E3.
They're already going to be pushing Mario 2D for the 3DS.
Rather, they'll focus on titles like Retro's game and Pikmin.

I think they will show Mario for Wii U.

Remember they showed off Super Mario Galaxy at E3 2006 and it ended up being released for Holiday 2007. Also remember that in 2009 we got to see Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story and Mario Vs. DK: March of the Mini's. FOUR MARIO GAMES!

Personally I think seeing a new Wii U Mario title is twice as likely compared with seeing Retro Studios new game.

shnord

Neo Member
On the Wii U box, Nintendo ought to include something like "One FREE digital download included!" to encourage the nubs reluctant to download software to at least give it shot (and hopefully get hooked in the process). Examples of software available for download can also be given right on the box accompanied by a screenshot, like: NSMBM?, something Pokemon-related? (always a good thing to plaster on a box), something totally HaRdCoRe, Cooking Mama 12

Xenos' is not a VLIW5 architecture but Xenos' SPUs are ALU-equivalent to 5 of the later SPUs. Thus Xenos' 48 SPUs are about equivalent to 240 VLIW SPUs (darn inflation).
Makes sense.

Yes like using From Software to resurrect Nazo no Murasame J&#333;. <_<

I think they will show Mario for Wii U.

Remember they showed off Super Mario Galaxy at E3 2006 and it ended up being released for Holiday 2007. Also remember that in 2009 we got to see Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story and Mario Vs. DK: March of the Mini's. FOUR MARIO GAMES!

Personally I think seeing a new Wii U Mario title is twice as likely compared with seeing Retro Studios new game.

Yeah, but think about this.
We'll have:
Mario 2D
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 9

That's four already! I just can not see a new Mario platformer being shown at E3 for the Wii U.
Maybe before the end of the year, but not at E3.

On the Wii U box, Nintendo ought to include something like "One FREE digital download included!" to encourage the nubs reluctant to download software to at least give it shot (and hopefully get hooked in the process). Examples of software available for download can also be given right on the box accompanied by a screenshot, like: NSMBM?, something Pokemon-related? (always a good thing to plaster on a box), something totally HaRdCoRe, Cooking Mama 12

Makes sense.

This has been mentioned a few times.
I really think they should. Or if not that, force you to set up an online account the first time you start up the system.

Caramello

Yeah, but think about this.
We'll have:
Mario 2D
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 9

That's four already! I just can not see a new Mario platformer being shown at E3 for the Wii U.
Maybe before the end of the year, but not at E3.

Nintendo will prioritize a mainline Mario title over Mario Party and Mario Tennis. Besides, it's not like they'll talk about the new Wii U Mario, it'll simply be a part of their sizzle reel.

In any case, why do you feel so strongly that we'll see Retro's next game?

Nintendo will prioritize a mainline Mario title over Mario Party and Mario Tennis. Besides, it's not like they'll talk about the new Wii U Mario, it'll simply be a part of their sizzle reel.

In any case, why do you feel so strongly that we'll see Retro's next game?

It's been two years since DKCR and having a big Western first party game out near launch would do wonders for the system.

If we're speculating on launch titles, my money's on a new IP. Nintendo tends to use new IPs to introduce new control concepts. Luigi's Mansion showcased the gamecube's analog shoulder buttons, Wii Sports showed off motion controls, Wii Fit utilized the balance board, and the DS had Nintendogs, although I don't think that was at launch. Either way, it makes the most sense to me that Nintendo will have a new IP to launch the Wii U with, perhaps with a known IP in conjunction (just like the Wii with twilight princess). I think we have to keep a grip on things that we actually expect and things that are fanboy dreams. New startropics or Star Fox or F-Zero would never be what Nintendo banks on to kickstart their new console.

Is Next Level Games big enough to have more than 1 team?

Have we heard if they signed any deals for some license game or are they really just LM2 as far as we know?

How about Monster Games?

Lord knows people dont appreciate Excite enough. Another Launch title would bring back the love.

Penguin

Is Next Level Games big enough to have more than 1 team?

Have we heard if they signed any deals for some license game or are they really just LM2 as far as we know?

How about Monster Games?

Lord knows people dont appreciate Excite enough. Another Launch title would bring back the love.

We need Next Level Games working on a sequel to Mario Strikers Charged.. without some of the cheapness from the Wii version.

We need Monster Games working on Excitebots 2: More EXCITE

And we need a GEIST sequel... and I will continue asking for that and probably the only person asking for that

We need Next Level Games working on a sequel to Mario Strikers Charged.. without some of the cheapness from the Wii version.

We need Monster Games working on Excitebots 2: More EXCITE

And we need a GEIST sequel... and I will continue asking for that and probably the only person asking for that

I would love a geist sequel. Its too good of an idea to go away for ever

Rösti;34889120 said:
No full technical documentation, eh? I hope data sheets and specifications of components/materials as well as measurement and control is supplied, so the developers don't have to be all alone in the dark. It is in times like these I wish I had access to https://www.warioworld.com/http://www.warioworld.com. Not that the site is very exciting, but it could provide us with at least a bit more info.

Development can be handled on early devkits - the APIs should stay stable enough. The final month or so of QA should be done on final devkits though. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

I still feel like DKCR2 will be a Wii game yet.

First of all, we have no idea if they are working on DKCR2. They've stated that they're working on a game that "everyone wants them to make," and I don't think DKCR qualifies.

Also, they've been hiring staff that have experience with games much bigger in scope than DKCR.

Penguin

I would love a geist sequel. Its too good of an idea to go away for ever

As long as I wasn't the only one who was a fan of the concept.
Sadly, Nintendo hasn't really cultivated any shooter teams since the GameCube era. Maybe they can pool n-Space and High Voltage's talent and somehow the two can make a good game.

Arkam

lol forrealz. No offense to arkam but we get a lot of people here who also have sources and who constantly back up their claims and discuss them. And then this wild arkam appears with this driveby expectations shooter, even though it directly counters all the evidence from outside sources, as well as our very own in this thread.

Fair enough. Not sure what I can say that will back my claims up without getting my self in trouble. But I will try to clarify a bit without getting too specific.

The current Wii U dev kit i am talking about (not this supposed new one in the last few weeks) Is slightly LESS powerful than the Xbox 360. What I mean by that is that we would have to scale back/change our Xbox/PS3 games to run on the console. Its a tri core out of order cpu with 1GB of pretty slow ram and a decently featured gpu that lacks raw muscle. Its good and efficient, just not that powerful. As we all know they can change it and according to rumors they have. But nothing they can do this late in the game is going to dramatically change its performance. When it ships it will be in the ball park of the Xbox 360/PS3 (give or take a little). But in no way will it be 2x or more powerful then the HD twins. Just not happening.

I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, so I am disappointed that they are not putting more power in the box. Nintendo will have no problem making great looking games on it, and 3rd party studios will be able to port games from 360/ps3. But when ever MS/Sony show their next consoles it might not be so true.

So believe it or not. Either way is cool by me.

Caramello

It's been two years since DKCR and having a big Western first party game out near launch would do wonders for the system.

Firstly, it's been closer to one year than two years since DKCR came out.

Secondly, Retro had a team working on Mario Kart 3DS for the better part of a year DCKR was released.

Which means that they've only had one year to work on their new game and not at full capacity until fairly recently.

Thirdly, Nintendo don't stick to schedules. They release games when they're ready. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was supposed to be a launch title for the Wii in Holiday 2006 and instead was delayed until Holiday 2007.

I just don't see it.

sfried

Fair enough. Not sure what I can say that will back my claims up without getting my self in trouble. But I will try to clarify a bit without getting too specific.
So just where did you manage to aquire these dev kits? Can you give specifics about architecture?

The current Wii U dev kit i am talking about (not this supposed new one in the last few weeks) Is slightly LESS powerful than the Xbox 360. What I mean by that is that we would have to scale back/change our Xbox/PS3 games to run on the console. Its a tri core out of order cpu with 1GB of pretty slow ram and a decently featured gpu that lacks raw muscle. Its good and efficient, just not that powerful. As we all know they can change it and according to rumors they have. But nothing they can do this late in the game is going to dramatically change its performance. When it ships it will be in the ball park of the Xbox 360/PS3 (give or take a little). But in no way will it be 2x or more powerful then the HD twins. Just not happening.

I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, so I am disappointed that they are not putting more power in the box. Nintendo will have no problem making great looking games on it, and 3rd party studios will be able to port games from 360/ps3. But when ever MS/Sony show their next consoles it might not be so true.

I was just goading you, it worked, so now I'm proud of myself. But thanks for posting more. It's good to know you're not talking about the latest one though, which supposedly has the improvements. Still interesting that the one before it was weaker than the 360. Sounds weird as fuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom