• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS And Wii U Users Can No Longer Go Online In Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
3ds-wii-u.large.jpg

Earlier this year, Nintendo announced it would be ending "online play and other functionality" that uses online communication for both 3DS and Wii U as of "early April" 2024.

Now, in an update, it's been discovered that new users can no longer go online in any games on 3DS or Wii U. This information comes from a lengthy blog post on Pretendo, which mentions how this change took place "some time in late December 2023".

If you try to play online with a Nintendo account from here on out, it will reportedly result in 'Error code 106-0303' on Wii U and 'Error Code 006-0303' on 3DS. This is due to new accounts "no longer being synchronized" with servers.

Super Mario Maker players have also been encountering 'Error Code 106-0502' in "early December", but existing users are still able to connect to the game's servers it seems. You can get a more detailed rundown about this on Pretendo.

dave_d

Can you still download the extra stuff in the monster hunter games? When they were shutting down the 3ds store it looks like that stuff was on Capcom's own servers.

Skelterz

Can you still download the extra stuff in the monster hunter games? When they were shutting down the 3ds store it looks like that stuff was on Capcom's own servers.

If you look into modifying your 3ds not only can you download DLC & Updates for games you can download any game ever released for the platform from the 3ds natively basically the E-shop but everything is free.. look in H-shop.

squarealex

The Wii U sold 13M systems. Total. This is a massive who gives a shit story.
Only 1-2 millions active user on PS3 for now (based on recent leak) and when Sony announce they down PS Store (not online game, just PS Store), they've got massive backlash they force to go back.

3DS selling also a lot, but for some reason, people don't care much when Nintendo stop eShop/Online

ManaByte

Gold Member
Only 1-2 millions active user on PS3 for now (based on recent leak) and when Sony announce they down PS Store (not online game, just PS Store), they've got massive backlash they force to go back.

3DS selling also a lot, but for some reason, people don't care much when Nintendo stop eShop/Online
The PS3 sold 83M systems.

Again, the Wii U sold 13M

SenkiDala

There wasn't a story about you wouldn't be able to download the games you bought ? I thought it was because of this that people were upset, now because they won't be able to play FIFA 07 online anymore.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When did PS3/Vita and 3DS/WiiU release and which ones are still online for everyone with no upcoming closure date?

giphy.gif
You can still download and play on PS3/Vita. Get the best Squaresoft games for PS1 and enjoy them on the Vita or PS3. I still ply my Vita more than I do my 3DS. My 3DS has Dragon Quest VII and VIII. There are quite a few really great games on 3DS. Nintendo kicked the shins of the people who bought digitally.

I don't understand why there can't be one little server blade to handle these things.
I picture an old concrete building, foundation leaning over into a partially flooded lake in the middle of nowhere with racks of old computers doing old things.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So lame. Crazy to think that Nintendo could do no wrong when I was a kid but I now struggle to think of a gaming company that I dislike more than Nintendo.

To be fair, both systems are more than a decade old. And were both commercially discontinued years ago. Wii U was discontinued in *2015*.

Go get a private server set up or something

The active users playing online games on either system was probably routinely in the single digits at this point. Why would anyone expect Nintendo to just permanently fund servers that no one is using?

No one does that. Lol

Last edited:

graywolf323

Such a shame to decommission these services. They can probably host these without much investment. I think the major challenges are with Credit Card systems being out of date making it costly to get those up to standards.
credit card systems aren’t an issue because they’ve already killed the stores making it so you can’t purchase anything

They announced its planned discontinuation in Dec 2015. Whatever 🤷‍♂️

It didn’t sell hardly units in 2016 because they’d moved onto the classic Minis starting holiday 2015, since the Wii U was such an unmitigated disaster.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
They announced its planned discontinuation in Dec 2015. Whatever 🤷‍♂️

It didn’t sell hardly units in 2016 because they’d moved onto the classic Minis starting holiday 2015, since the Wii U was such an unmitigated disaster.
Oh, well. I was going to share this.
It was still 2017.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
To be fair, both systems are more than a decade old. And were both commercially discontinued years ago. Wii U was discontinued in *2015*.

Go get a private server set up or something

The active users playing online games on either system was probably routinely in the single digits at this point. Why would anyone expect Nintendo to just permanently fund servers that no one is using?

No one does that. Lol

I play Mario Kart on my 3DS often online… there’s still a large user base. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I feel like Nintendo really knows me, giving me tonnes of options, ways to customise and personalised suggestions.

It’s important to me that the companies I support take sustainability seriously, and Nintendo does.

Top Bottom