• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2012 (Jan 30 - Feb 05)

You expected more than RE5 PS3 + 360 combined?

There might be a mis communication here, I am considering budget and alternate releases. I was also under the impression that Revelations is a big game, albeit not a numbered sequel. If that assumption is wrong, then yeah I'm way off and had an unrealistic prediction. Also, I don't know where you are getting that RE5 PS3+360 is not 600K, game data museum (they get famitsu numbers, different tracker, I know) has 123,817 for 360 and 520,564 for PS3 (279,951 for Alternate Edition, 109,281 for budget).

You think Tri G would have sold 4.5 million on PSP? Why?

MHP3

600k for revelations? What planet are you on and can you please stay there

Cute, you tried to make a funny.

Where did you see that? It's not even a far possilitty if you think last year was the first PS3 outsold Wii.

Where did I see what? That the PS3 might be within 4 million of Wii? I saw that from 12.256.308 - 7.808.548 = 4.447.760 and PS3 comfortably outselling the Wii so far this year and the Wii already under 10k.

Kazerei

Banned
A comparison of PSP and PSV hardware sales

wz9cE.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
-Regardless of Vita sales, it's good to see at least two Vita games in the top twenty.

- Soul Calibur sales are no suprise, it should be a once per generation release. After seeing SCIV drop to as low as $10 new, there's no way I'm going to go full price on a SC game.

- How are sales of the Circle Pad Pro?

Hayeya

Banned
There is something that i dont get, aren't online sales numbers very easy to track? PSV software sales should get a healthy boost in the charts if they are included, why dont Famitsu and Media Create ask sony about the online sales, can anyone explain the lack of them ?

There is something that i dont get, aren't online sales numbers very easy to track? PSV software sales should get a healthy boost in the charts if they are included, why dont Famitsu and Media Create ask sony about the online sales, can anyone explain the lack of them ?
DD is nowhere near as big in Japan as it is in the west.

liger05

Capcom should of numbered the 3DS resident evil game. I aint sure what the advertising has been like in Japan but here in the UK all I have seen is RE: 6 trailers on tv when they have a brand new 3DS game out. Just dont understand that.

mclem

Do we have any indication of expectations for Revelaitons and Rhythm Thief? In particular Rhythm Thief, since I'm wondering if it's there *already*.

Andrea

Neo Member
I'm loving the game, really.
That said: I've always foreseen 300K as a good target for the first real portable iteration of this franchise. The most important thing in my opinion is to reach a target that can assure ALSO very good portable iterations for for the brand. And in my opinion the 300k mark could be the right one.

Let's wait and see how it will end (looking at the sell-through and to the Mercs resulst could be able to do that)
I agree with this. Also remember that Revelations is an exclusive on a Nintendo handheld that's still in the first year of its life, so that 300k mark would actually be good.

I'm sure if DD sales were great, Sony would tell people and finally release good news.

They're always extremely vague on this, even if the news would have been good.
I think around the second or third week, they made the statement that DD sales were "higher than expected," but that's the only bone that's been thrown in that regard.

I'm sure if DD sales were great, Sony would tell people and finally release good news.

Not necessarily. Joe Danger sold 50k first week on PSN and we only know that because Hello Games gave out the numbers. There was also that indie developer (can't recall the developer's name right now) that gave out mini numbers. I don't think Sony has given out sale numbers for anything on PSN, good or bad.

With that said I'm not claiming that DD sales on PSN are good or bad for the device. I'm just saying that your claim is not necessarily true.

Zero148

A comparison of PSP and PSV hardware sales

wz9cE.png

This seems pretty low for the Vita.

In Germany where I live i haven't seen any ads for the system either (except for one small ad in one gamestop), but it releases in two weeks (although on amazon.de it is on 8th place fpr videogames in the wifi version). Are any games on the near horizon to give Vita sales a boost?

The 3DS on the other hand is still in beast mode in my opinion, sales higher than 70k without any significant new releases seems very good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not to mention Vita sales are being cannibalized by the PSP right now, while the PSP obviously did not have that particular issue.

Hayeya

Banned
Not necessarily. Joe Danger sold 50k first week on PSN and we only know that because Hello Games gave out the numbers. There was also that indie developer (can't recall the developer's name right now) that gave out mini numbers. I don't think Sony has given out sale numbers for anything on PSN, good or bad.

With that said I'm not claiming that DD sales on PSN are good or bad for the device. I'm just saying that your claim is not necessarily true.

My thinking exactly, since its easier to track software sales than real sales, so why dont sony, MS or nintendo release anything ? even if the sales are in the low thousands isn't releasing them is better than saying that they didnt sell a thing ?
I mean Mortal Kombat 2 stayed for 2 years in the US PSN Top ten and they didnt release any numbers about it, weird, same thing for FFVII and RE 2 and MGS. if console manufacturers are expecting online sales equivalent to retail sales then they have to wait 10 more years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AND the 3DS.

I think you missed my point completely. With the PSP Sony only had to worry about the competition from Nintendo. With the Vita, Sony has to get consumers to choose that device over both Nintendo and their own other handheld device. And are failing on both fronts. The PSP isn't going away any time soon either.

Not sure why people are saying Ragnarok sales are decent, 30k for a high end Monhan clone seems like a failure regardless of platform. Good for Vita doesn't mean good in general.

After both Lord of Apocalypse and Ragnarok Odyssey failed to make any real impact, Sega should seriously be reconsidering Phantasy Star Victory. Back to PSP or over to 3DS, but Vita's just not looking like a good platform for these sorts of games.

Where did I see what? That the PS3 might be within 4 million of Wii? I saw that from 12.256.308 - 7.808.548 = 4.447.760 and PS3 comfortably outselling the Wii so far this year and the Wii already under 10k.
I think he was taking issue with your "used to be 7 million" difference. Or do you think PS3 outsold Wii by 3 million last year?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I think you missed my point completely.
No.

With the PSP Sony only had to worry about the competition from Nintendo. With the Vita, Sony has to get consumers to choose that device over both Nintendo and their own other handheld device. And are failing on both fronts. The PSP isn't going away any time soon either.
This is exactly what I was agreeing with.

I think you missed my point completely. With the PSP Sony only had to worry about the competition from Nintendo. With the Vita, Sony has to get consumers to choose that device over both Nintendo and their own other handheld device. And are failing on both fronts. The PSP isn't going away any time soon either.

The PS3 had to compete with both the Wii and the PS2 and it's now doing very well. Not that the Vita is guaranteed to have the sort of revival that the PS3 did, but its situation is certainly not unique. At this point I think Sony's main focus should just be on profitability. The Vita isn't going to beat the 3DS so it might as well make them some money.

Celine

Not to mention Vita sales are being cannibalized by the PSP right now, while the PSP obviously did not have that particular issue.
I don't think PSP is cannibalazing Vita sales.
Sure PSP being at the end of its lifecycle mean it's cheaper and with a big software library but it's still a fully tapped platform, as was the DS when 3DS came out.

I still believe that Vita big difference ( at the moment ) compared to PSP is that PSP was sort of a unknown quantity, the first real portable gaming system by the home console market leader.
Will see how Vita software situation will develop in time.

Road

The PS3 had to compete with both the Wii and the PS2 and it's now doing very well. Not that the Vita is guaranteed to have the sort of revival that the PS3 did, but its situation is certainly not unique. At this point I think Sony's main focus should just be on profitability. The Vita isn't going to beat the 3DS so it might as well make them some money.
It certainly isn't.

We have all seen it before with WonderSwan, Dreamcast, Saturn, Xbox etc.

Kazerei

Banned
By popular demand, a comparison of NDS and 3DS hardware sales

First image is calendar-aligned, second image is launch-aligned

46sUE.png

UHgoL.png

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Since when was the Xbox competing in Japan against both its console predecessor and a major competitor?

I think he was making a joke about the Vita was already dead or something.

This is actually why I don't see a price cut happening either any time soon. They'll let the Vita chug along for however long the PSP has decent legs and then they'll kill off the PSP for good. Seems like thats going to be for quite a long time too.

Yeah, my mistake with the Xbox (and with WonderSwan too, I guess).

That's alright. Yeah, I'm not expecting a huge success from the Vita personally but I wanted to point that the first one or two months of sales aren't always the best indicators of lifetime sales.

In fact they can be remarkably poor.

muu

The lack of UMD drive is doing a lot of harm to the Vita. Long term it won't make a difference, but for now there's enough overlap in titles and enough PSP titles coming out for its intended audience that there are both new customers coming in as well as existing users replacing failing PSPs. In the case of the PS3, 3DS, DS, etc BC would probably have helped compel some of these users to jump to the next gen.

I wonder if they could have implemented draconian measures to force all future PSP games to include download codes instead of UMDs; internet connectivity in Japan is relatively high, and I'd assume there's a ton of stores that could give you PSN connectivity if that wasn't possible. Fans buying from stores for their favorite characters' body pillow case would still be able to buy while the reason to own a PSP lessens because store bought games can be played on Vita as well. Sounds delusional just thinking about it though so it probably is...

Mr Swine

Banned
I think he was making a joke about the Vita was already dead or something.

This is actually why I don't see a price cut happening either any time soon. They'll let the Vita chug along for however long the PSP has decent legs and then they'll kill off the PSP for good. Seems like thats going to be for quite a long time too.

And let the 3DS have it all? I guess that making a profit is crucial for Sony but wil it have a chance to sell as well as the PSP did? right now the 3DS will outsell the PS3 at the end of the year if it keeps selling 50k a week

The difference with the PS3 was the it was getting all the multiplatform titles from the 360, and no one in Japan was going to purchase as 360 over the PS3. With Vita right now it's getting all the PS3 ports, but how many people are going to pick up a Vita just to play PS3 ports? I think that's what is going to hurt the Vita long term if it just turns into a port machine.

Can someone do those DS vs 3DS chartz? I guess 3DS has fallen quite below the curve?
Continuing on the 2005 vs 2011 comparison to the new year, not really. We're just getting into the heavy DS shortage, so 3DS will have a bit of time ahead until DS starts with the 100+K every week.
2011start

Looking at totals from their launches, there's still some time left until DS's big 2005 holiday season brings it back above.
launch

boingball

Looks like the Vita is stabilizing between 15k and 18k. Would like to know how much DD games are selling on it.

The Wii seems to be again on life support. Nintendo will need the Wii U unless they are happy with the dominance of the 3DS (which is not yet printing money, since sold at a loss).

Looks like the Vita is stabilizing between 15k and 18k. Would like to know how much DD games are selling on it.

The Wii seems to be again on life support. Nintendo will need the Wii U unless they are happy with the dominance of the 3DS (which is not yet printing money, since sold at a loss).

it'd take a good few weeks to convince me this is stablisation, i can still see it under 10k in the coming months

Kazerei

Banned
Dammit, I messed up the calendar-aligned figure. It's off by one week. Here's a new one, showing the DS rise in its second year. The 3DS is probably going to fall behind, but might keep up once Animal Crossing and 2D Mario are released later this year.

gRbTx.png

Sadist

Kind of hoped Revelations would pass the 200k this week (it deserves the sales) but man what meh week for Japan. Soul Calibur V is a Japan bomba. I'm curious about the performance worldwide.

I guess the eShop demo for Rhythm Thief helped.

Top Bottom