• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cali Gas Prices Clear $5/Gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't cut that dependency?
uh, making lighter cars would benefit everyone, plus it's tech that is easily accessible, unlike electric cars and hybrids. see Mazda SkyActiv
and jeez, the only hybrid selling well is the Prius. They make for less than 5% of the market.

I suppose this will only get worse from here on out, perhaps without precedent if the situation with Iran is further exacerbated. I was a bit ambivalent about my mom's recent Prius purchase but perhaps it will work out fine for her in the long run after all.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
uh, making lighter cars would benefit everyone.

i find cars terrifying (although some, beautiful in design), heavy or light, so it just seems that if there's a renewable energy source that is potentially cheaper, safer and leads to less conflict I'd prefer that.

2San

uh, making lighter cars would benefit everyone, plus it's tech that is easily accessible, unlike electric cars and hybrids.
and jeez, the only hybrid selling well is the Prius. They make for less than 5% of the market.

It's a shame the Prius is an excellent car. The only thing that takes getting used is that you don't hear the engine when it's on. The god awfull design doesn't help, of course >_>.

The Prius is a terrible car for people that like to drive. It's okay for those that just want a car as an appliance. I would rather have a Sonic, Honda Fit, or a Mazda 3 instead and they get pretty decent MPG.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? A native Californian without a car is blasphemy. Cars are our birthright.

You don't need one if you live in San Francisco. Same with New York and other Metropolis type places. I had a car sit in a garage for most of the time I lived in San Francisco . . . only drove when I went skiing or wilderness.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
So it begins... the great smugstorm of our time.

I remember back in '05 maybe? Most of the gas station pumps used to automatically stop at $100, and our tank still wasn't full (Yukon XL Denali represent!)

The Prius is a terrible car for people that like to drive. It's okay for those that just want a car as an appliance. I would rather have a Sonic, Honda Fit, or a Mazda 3 instead and they get pretty decent MPG.

Car snobs should try electric and get real torque at 0 RPM.

It's a shame the Prius is an excellent car. The only thing that takes getting used is that you don't hear the engine when it's on. The god awfull design doesn't help, of course >_>.
The Prius is going to grow market share. They just added the Prius V (a wagon), the plug-in Prius (which is a bit rip-off IMHO since the battery is so small), and the Prius C (a new sub-$20K Prius that is selling like crazy in Japan).

Honda screwed up their hybrid line. The other car-makers better catch up or Toyota is going to dominate again. GM's Volt is cool but it is a bit expensive . . . GM needs good regular hybrids in addition to the Volt. Ford Fusion Hybrid is nice.

We had some -$3.00 gas in Denver the past few weeks, was glorious.

The west & mid-west is benefiting from the lack of the Keystone Pipeline . . . you are getting cheap oil from Canada that they are having trouble getting to international markets. As soon as the Keystone XL pipeline is built, that oil will flow down to Cushing, OK and Louisiana where it can be refined and sold on international markets at a higher prices.

So enjoy it, it won't last. That pipeline will be built.

ToxicAdam

Peak Oil kooks (Hi, Triumph!) told me we were supposed to have riots in the streets when gas hit 5.00? What a drag.

Mandatory:

Inflation_adjusted_gasoline_price_med.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I remember when gas was $.85.

I remember gas dipping under $1 here in San Diego as recently as 1998.
And during Gulf War I, when people were panicking about the horrific gas prices, the most expensive I saw anywhere was $1.49, and that was at a place gouging tourists on their way to the Grand Canyon.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Maybe not the best thread to bring this question up, but how does charging an electric car work? Aren't there not as many gas stations with charging stations as there used to be? And how long does charging an electric at a charging station take? If they're meant to be primarily charged in your garage, what do people without garages do?

I just don't get the obsession with gas prices as a metric for the health of the country. How much are people driving that a $1 or even $2 swing is a big deal?

/takes public transportation everywhere.

For one single person, it might not make a huge difference, but if you're a business owner that transports any sort of product, a $1 jump in gas prices is huge.

I paid $3.70 for premium the other day in MA. I can live with that. Although my commute is going from ~walk to work to ~40 minutes driving in 3 weeks. Although, in October or November of 2008, I remember filling up for $1.70 (regular). That was the cheapest it's been since I got my license, 10+ years ago, when it was less than a $1.

plasmasd

LOL. Or interchangeable batteries. Just drive into the battery station that'll have a car wash like setup. Swap the drained battery for a fresh one.

Batteries weigh a ton, and how in the world could it ever be easy or quick to swap 900lbs from a car?

Jiffy Lube can't even put the oil pan plug back in straight and you expect someone similar could do a quick swap of the entire powerplant of your car?

Maybe not the best thread to bring this question up, but how does charging an electric car work? Aren't there not as many gas stations with charging stations as there used to be? And how long does charging an electric at a charging station take? If they're meant to be primarily charged in your garage, what do people without garages do?
Parking lot I park at has a dozen or so reserved spots for people to plug in...not that I've ever seen anyone use them. Well I did one time, but I don't think Lexus makes a hybrid.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't crash. ever

I've been in three different cars that were hit from behind while we were waiting at a red light. One guy hit us doing 70 like 20 seconds after we came to a stop. So yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom