• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

If I wasn't so amped for Downpour beforehand, Dusk Golem's impressions would've sold me on it anyway. Thanks for your write-ups dude; your contribution to the thread has been essential.

Japanese cover...

Downpourjp.jpg

fucking america. WOW. I GOT TO HAVE

and now we wait for that art to hit in super high-res so that it can be made into a printable cover.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How's the framerate in the final version of Downpour? A lot of the footage I've seen has been full of tearing and slowdown which as me concerned. Is it reasonably smooth while playing?

How's the framerate in the final version of Downpour? A lot of the footage I've seen has been full of tearing and slowdown which as me concerned. Is it reasonably smooth while playing?

From what I watched yesterday it seemed to be okay with a few exceptions, notably when the fire breaks out in the diner it took a pretty bad hit.

Is there a reason they took away the yellow colouring and replaced it with grey?

Because it was some random team at Konami who did this "HD port" and not BluePoint games. The only people who care less about making video games than Konami upper management, is Konami code monkeys.

Edit: That NA cover is so godawful compared to that Korean one.

After 3 years and a half without any new Silent Hill in my life......

35253831782760411763.jpg

HELL YEAH :D

OMG HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH :D

Me & SH = Forever and for Always <3

So jealous. I resorted to importing - got it pre-ordered with PlanetAxel. The wait is killing me, but the tough part is not knowing when it'll actually get here.

For anyone who's curious, been uploading my game rip to Youtube slowly but surely. Mind you it's game rip music and I'm still trying to locate all the music on the disk. My first time doing anything like this, and some of it is very well hidden.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4FCC01C97A50F1AC&feature=plcp

This should suffice until the soundtrack is out. But like you said there will be so much missing music, there always is so we'll once again be relying on gamerips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku2aK35kvnU&list=PL4FCC01C97A50F1AC&index=4&feature=plpp_video

So good. It's like Akira himself did this one.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Because it was some random team at Konami who did this "HD port" and not BluePoint games. The only people who care less about making video games than Konami upper management, is Konami code monkeys.

SH2 and 3 weren't ported by Konami themselves from what I can find, but by Hijinx Studios.

Also, managed to snag a copy of 0rigins for PS2 off Amazun UK. Now I only need to get SH4 for PS2 and Downpour, and I'll have all main series SH games (besides Shattered Memories, but I can't say I care much about it anyway).

SH2 and 3 weren't ported by Konami themselves from what I can find, but by Hijinx Studios.

Also, managed to snag a copy of 0rigins for PS2 off Amazun UK. Now I only need to get SH4 for PS2 and Downpour, and I'll have all main series SH games (besides Shattered Memories, but I can't say I care much about it anyway).

You should, because it's the best Silent Hill since the original 3.

<3 Shattered Memories.

After 3 years and a half without any new Silent Hill in my life......

HELL YEAH :D

OMG HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH :D

Me & SH = Forever and for Always <3

Any impressions on the framerate/screen tearing? I really want to get this on PS3 but not if it is vastly inferior to the 360. PS3 unreal engine games can be a bit hit or miss.

Drewfonse

I'm waiting for a price drop.

I'm day 1. Dusk Golem's impressions sealed the deal. I have $30 in Amazon credit, plus it comes with a $10. Really looking forward to it. I've missed retro-style Survival Horror games, and this one looks to fit the bill nicely.

KAOz

Short bus special
Guys, does anyone know when this really releases in Europe?

Been getting pretty hyped now, and need me a good Silent Hill with exploration. Thing is, no store is saying the same date.

Everything ranges from the 15th to the 30th. Does anyone knoooooow? :(

KorrZ

Day 1 as well. Even if just for the fact that it's a real survival horror game in 2012! Puzzles? Broken/Unwieldy combat? Sign me up.

Ahasverus

This should suffice until the soundtrack is out. But like you said there will be so much missing music, there always is so we'll once again be relying on gamerips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku2aK35kvnU&list=PL4FCC01C97A50F1AC&index=4&feature=plpp_video

So good. It's like Akira himself did this one.
I'm playing through the game right now (IMPRESSIVE, It's the modern Silent Hill I've always hoped for.. there was a sidequest in an apartment building that made me chill a little.. espectacular) and when I heard that song, I felt I was playing Silent Hill again, after 4 years. The whole soundtrack is GENIUS.

And if my opinion counts into something, the graphics ARE NICE, with a well calibrated TV you could appreciate the little details (there are insanely a lot). I think it's the most atmospheric game I've played since Arkham Asylum, and it's miles better, it could compete with bioshock.

And DAT ANTIALIASING

I'm day 1. Dusk Golem's impressions sealed the deal. I have $30 in Amazon credit, plus it comes with a $10. Really looking forward to it. I've missed retro-style Survival Horror games, and this one looks to fit the bill nicely.

you think I'm going to make a thread for a game I'm waiting for a price drop on? OH HELL NO

Drewfonse

I'm playing through the game right now (IMPRESSIVE, It's the modern Silent Hill I've always hoped for.. there was a sidequest in an apartment building that made me chill a little.. espectacular) and when I heard that song, I felt I was playing Silent Hill again, after 4 years. The whole soundtrack is GENIUS.

And if my opinion counts into something, the graphics ARE NICE, with a well calibrated TV you could appreciate the little details (there are insanely a lot). I think it's the most atmospheric game I've played since Arkham Asylum, and it's miles better, it could compete with bioshock.

And DAT ANTIALIASING

Mo' impressions, please. I've always thought the game looked nice, as far as I could tell from screenshots and videos.

cDflc.gif

Ooooka~y... first hour impressions:

+ The VA and the music are really good
+ I love the sense of exploration
+ The atmosphere and the feelings reminded me of the first three games of SH and RE also!
+ The Graphics doesn't look bad at all in motion, better than the pictures and the videos
+ OMG the game can be really scary and tensed, haven't felt this scary in a game since Siren Blood Curse

- The game freezes a lot for 1 - 2 seconds when it Auto-saves :(
- There are screen tearing sadly :(

more to come later, but so far from the first hour I can tell if you are a SH fan then you will be enjoying this a lot.

Vrakanox

And DAT ANTIALIASING

Getting me pretty excited here man, even with our differing opinions on LoS. I seem to forget we both hang out at the same forums lol.

Can't wait to play this on the big screen with surround sound in the pitch black :3 I'll be alternating between this and Tales of Graces.

Vrakanox

+ The VA and the music are really good
+ I love the sense of exploration
+ The atmosphere and the feelings reminded me of the first three games of SH and RE also!
+ The Graphics doesn't look bad at all in motion, better than the pictures and the videos
+ OMG the game can be really scary and tensed, haven't felt this scary in a game since Siren Blood Curse

YES! Siren Blood Curse had me on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Not playing this game at any other time than at night. The gameplay I've seen suggests a very slow, quiet, atmospheric game for the most part. I just wish my sound receiver hadn't shit out on me a few months ago. Shitty TV speakers will not do this justice.

Ahasverus

You want impressions? Then MORE IMPRESSIONS

The game is not IN YOUR FACE, this is no Resident Evil no Dead Space, pacing (The time I've been playing, a good chunk) is methodically played, when a reveal is going to happen the game gives you hitns through a good amount of time (being sound effects -masterful sound design if you ask me- visual cues, the ocasional shadow...) the story is told through the surroundings, Silent Hill feels like a living city (or that it was, one day) murphy is a good character, you could empathize with him. It's intriguing that everyone seems to know what you did, but you don't, he seems like a good guy, I can't wait to reach the revelation.

About gameplay, it's the good ol' Silent Hill, refined a little, but not that much. And I love that.
Combat is not clunky (In a SH way), but it's not DMC obviously, the monsters are NOT obstacles here, they are HAZARDS. Weapon degradation is not annoying because almost everything is a weapon here. And again, combating is not the best way to face your monsters.
The game has a good deal of hollywood influences, but I think it counts in its favor. There's a sequence in a mine (that references a very known family of old times) that was.. terryfying, think a rollercaster ride, but in the worst of your nightmares, my heart almost bursts out of my chest, and then the ending of that scene... it was the bizarreness I LOVE from Silent Hill.
Cons? Murphy's hair could be better, and animations in general are not espectacular, also some screen tearing. but I think the magic in Silent Hill is that you can overcome those faults, it's not your eyes that are inmersed. It's your mind. And Jeez this game delivers.

Best SH since 3? ABSOLUTELY, and I'm not even half-trough it (because of sidequests... they are NOT what you think, it's not that you encounter a character and they give you a fetch quest.. they are introduced as I said before, slowly, setting the context, giving you hints, but never directions)

I'll post more if you want, or ask me I don't know, but BUY THIS GAME. It's the first TRUE survival horror this gen and it was made with heart, not looking for sales figures. It's about the message.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

The game is not IN YOUR FACE, this is no Resident Evil no Dead Space, pacing (The time I've been playing, a good chunk) is methodically played, when a reveal is going to happen the game gives you hitns through a good amount of time (being sound effects -masterful sound design if you ask me- visual cues, the ocasional shadow...) the story is told through the surroundings, Silent Hill feels like a living city (or that it was, one day) murphy is a good character, you could empathize with him. It's intriguing that everyone seems to know what you did, but you don't, he seems like a good guy, I can't wait to reach the revelation.

About gameplay, it's the good ol' Silent Hill, refined a little, but not that much. And I love that.
Combat is not clunky (In a SH way), but it's nod DMC obviously, thje monster are NOT obstacles here, they are HAZARDS. Weapon degradation is not annoying because almost everything is a weapon here. And again, combating is not the best way to face your monsters.
The game has a good deal of hollywood influences, but I think it counts in its favor. There's a sequence in a mine (that references a very known family of old times) that was.. terryfying, think a rollercaster ride, but in the worst of your nightmares, my heart almost bursts out of my chest, and then the ending of that scene... it was the bizarreness I LOVE from Silent Hill.
Cons? Murphy's hair could be better, and animations in general are not espectacular, also some screen tearing. but I think the magic in Silent Hill is that you can overcome those faults, it's not your eyes that are inmersed. It's your mind. And Jeez this game delivers.

Best SH since 3? ABSOLUTELY, and I'm not even half-trough it (because of sidequests... they are bNOT what you think, it's not that you encounter a character and they give you a fetch quest.. they are introduced as I said before, slowly, setting the context, giving you hints, but never directions)

I'll post more if you want, or ask me I don't know, but BUY THIS GAME. It's the first TRUE survival horror this gen and it was made with heart, not looking for sales figures. It's about the message.
Happy you're really enjoying it as well! I hope this game does well since I fully agree it feels like the first game this console generation that feels like it's trying to be an actual old-school styled horror game. And you can tell the developers put a lot of heart into it even if they may be aware that it might not sell the best. I am hoping this sells a lot better through word of mouth since so far everyone I've heard that's playing it is loving it.

So jealous. I resorted to importing - got it pre-ordered with PlanetAxel. The wait is killing me, but the tough part is not knowing when it'll actually get here.

Just checked the price on PlanetAxel and that is damn cheap, guess I should import as well, their FAQ say usually 4 to 9 work days with the shipping so that sounds great. I was not going to get it before it actually released here but the positive impressions and it actually being cheaper than retail here...

kunonabi

I'm renting it. Although I think all blockbusters have closed in my area so I might just watch it on youtube. I've been watching a walkthrough and so far it does look much much better than the last 4 SH titles.

pa22word

I'm renting it. Although I think all blockbusters have closed in my area so I might just watch it on youtube. I've been watching a walkthrough and so far it does look much much better than the last 4 SH titles.

EDIT: I'm tired and I can't read, disregard.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Combat is not clunky (In a SH way), but it's not DMC obviously, the monsters are NOT obstacles here, they are HAZARDS. Weapon degradation is not annoying because almost everything is a weapon here. And again, combating is not the best way to face your monsters.

Best SH since 3? ABSOLUTELY, and I'm not even half-trough it (because of sidequests... they are NOT what you think, it's not that you encounter a character and they give you a fetch quest.. they are introduced as I said before, slowly, setting the context, giving you hints, but never directions)

How much combat is there, and how is it? I just read an IGN preview (yeah yeah, IGN, I know) that said it was fairly action-oriented (which I take as meaning combat-heavy). Is it as combat-focused as Homecoming was, or more in line with the old games (SH 1 - 0rigins) where you don't necessarily need to fight enemies, but can just run past them/away from them?

Instead, I'll actually give the game a chance instead of looking for any excuse I can conjure up to dismiss it.

Oh come on, at least he's trying. :p

How much combat is there, and how is it? I just read an IGN preview (yeah yeah, IGN, I know) that said it was fairly action-oriented (which I take as meaning combat-heavy). Is it as combat-focused as Homecoming was, or more in line with the old games (SH 1 - 0rigins) where you don't necessarily need to fight enemies, but can just run past them/away from them?

IGN: you get to hit stuff so there's a lot of action

everyone is saying that it's not action focused or combat heavy. I imagine it will be much like the older games but with slightly better mechanics. I mean SH3 had a fucking submachine gun and a lightsaber.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

It actually isn't that combat focused. There's enemies, yes. But it's not constant or anything. Now towards the end of the game there are far more enemies but that's to be expected. But it doesn't have an action focus, I can tell you that much.

Top Bottom