• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Fans Aren't Happy With Bloober's New Remake Trailer

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Troy Baker No Shit GIF by RETRO REPLAY

freemandos

Neo Member
A video about someone playing a couple of minutes of the game would be better. A combat focused trailer can be one of two things: a bad marketing decision...or a huge red flag about this game.

Also, even accepting this kind of trailer, it should be about monsters being scary, intimidating, weird, disgusting...not only about "oh, yeah, it's like modern Resident Evil games, Alan Wake II, Dead Space and TEW, only less polished and having button smashing". It's not enough. Not for a Silent Hill game, even less for a Silent Hill 2 remake.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

People seem to be pretending Silent Hill 2 was just a PT style game. All of those old Silent Hill games have a lot of combat (and it's always been poor combat). I'm starting to wonder if some of them even played Silent Hill 2 at this point.

Even the most recent Silent Hill games (i.e. Homecoming and Downpour) had crap combat. Not awful, but not great.

Granted those are the most hated games in the series, but again they're the most recent.

Besides that, there are no real recent SH games to compare to. Most the other games were on PS2, before RE4 revolutionized third person and/or survival horror games.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
People need to be honest with themselves and see that they got way too hyped over something that was predictable and expected. Bloober even said they were overhauling the combat, that was probably over a year ago.

Hell, the game might release and be an absolute gem. The constant cycle of hype train then rage...when will you learn to just sit tight and have a bit of patience.

SenkiDala

People are probably comparing it to RE4R gameplay.. Which is unfair, since this is probably a lower budget game being made by a studio that has little experience on combat gameplay.
But THAT is exactly the problem ! Why not a good team ? With a good budget ?

Bloober is a little indie studios that made bad to average horror games. They dunno about game design, they dunno about how to make a scenario in a video game, they don't know shit. Layers of Fear are all shit games (not average : shit), Blair Witch is even worst (I am a fan of the Blair Witch franchise and when I played this game I thought that "oh fuck they're so bad at understanding the original material, at this point it's almost a talent to be so dumb"), when I heard the rumors about them making a new Silent Hill game or remaking SH2 (one of my favorite piece of art ever) I was scared.

I saw the announcement and because I'm kind I thought "well let's give them a chance, maybe the original team is helping them in some way".

The video of yesterday wasn't horrible but it was just... well again they don't seem to understand what Silent Hill is... They just take the universe / monsters of SH2 (easy : they're already created) and they thought "oh let's bring the RE2/3/4 combats into SH2 ! People liked RE2/3/4 combats ! Ahahah omg we're geniuses".

It's like the team behind Fast Racing Neo (good lil game) remaking gran turismo and being like "AHAHAH I KNOW ! Look at my NISSAN SKYLINE THROWING A RED SHELL TO THIS SUBARU IMPREZA !!! NICE HUH ???"

What I saw from the game yesterday is very underwhelming and the fact it doesn't have any launch window is indeed concerning.

Please Bloober, cancel it, don't spit on this legendary game that is Silent Hill 2, it's ok you can make your next game "Clowny the tormented clown" or whatever.

I really hope Konami will cancel the game.

Last edited:

Js562

Didn't the original one have a combat trailer too? I remember playing Silent Hill 1-4 and I was always shooting and smacking something. Shattered memories is the only one without combat. Shit might be good maybe not lol

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
When are fans of anything ever happy when it comes to remakes & remasters
Nah, I get you. Someone is always complaining about something, and remakes/Remasters are generally at the top of the Bitchin' Chain.

In this particular case, however, I get some of the gripes.

Kacho

I love how Bloober gets shat on for making games with barely any combat and then get shat on for demoing combat lol

The combat shown looks pretty bad though. And the mash X prompt is god awful. Hopefully they listen to feedback and remove it, or give players an option to disable it. That stuff has no business being in a Silent Hill game. Reminds me of press F to pay respect in Ace Combat Assault Horizon.

The game doesn’t look great but this was expected because it’s fucking Bloober. I’ll check it out regardless since I’m hungry for Silent Hill.

MiguelItUp

People need to be honest with themselves and see that they got way too hyped over something that was predictable and expected. Bloober even said they were overhauling the combat, that was probably over a year ago.

Hell, the game might release and be an absolute gem. The constant cycle of hype train then rage...when will you learn to just sit tight and have a bit of patience.
Yeah, they have specifically stated that they were going to make changes. So I was full on expecting combat to be like this more or less. Especially in the little bit that was shown in the developer diary. I just expected it to look more polished with all the talk of it being in the polishing phase and all. I'd like to think that it will release and hopefully be decent at its worst. But I'll continue to keep a blank slate. To be honest I also expected more of an everything trailer, rather than something SO combat focused.

Overall I think I was just initially disappointed in the trailer and lack of polish in areas.

Yeah, the AI should be dumb and uncapable. That would make the game scarier, somehow.
I think this is less about how the AI is functioning here, and more so the action that the Bubble Head Nurse is making.

Last edited:

Generic

Didn't the original one have a combat trailer too? I remember playing Silent Hill 1-4 and I was always shooting and smacking something. Shattered memories is the only one without combat. Shit might be good maybe not lol
Yeah, SH3 and 4 were more combat focused.

The act of showing a button prompt makes it a QTE. Stop apologizing for garbage!
Showing or not it still is about mashing the buttons, something very common in horror games.

Generic

I think this is less about how the AI is functioning here, and more so the action that the Bubble Head Nurse is making.
Jumping over an obstable is a bad thing? These monsters are chasing the protagonist, they need to be capable. Imagine the nurse turning 180° and walking away instead, lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bloober games typically get a Metacrtic score around the low-70s for all their horror games going back to last gen. So dont expect miracles unless SH Remake got a big Bloober budget boost.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I honestly find the trailer cool, but I agree with the sentiment. Specially with quick time events, this does not belong in Silent Hill.

MiguelItUp

Rabid Silent Hill fans rank up there with the crazy Souls fans. There was hate cocked and loaded as soon as Bloober was named to this project straight away and nothing will ever change that. It's not even close to as bad as what a lot are saying. Yes, it could still use some work, but come on.
People just really love to dramatically hate these days, I think we have plenty of examples out there. Especially recent ones. It's as if drastically hating is a trend, lol.

I remember so many people shat on the Demon's Souls Remake for a variety of reasons, but I thought it was amazing. I just think some people are way too passionate and protective of certain things. The original games will always be there.

I'll voice my disappointment with the new trailer, but I'm not gonna say the game is shit, it's the end of the world, etc. We won't know until it's done and out. I'm just hoping for the best but also staying neutral.

Jumping over an obstable is a bad thing? These monsters are chasing the protagonist, they need to be capable. Imagine the nurse turning 180° and walking away instead, lol.
Not at all, it just doesn't connect with what people remember from Silent Hill 2 and the behavior of the nurses. It just looks bizarre and doesn't fit for those very familiar with the original. I don't disagree, it's 2024, I'd hope AI is improved.

I personally just thought it was hilarious because a vaulting animation screams a shooter or Gears of War-like action game. Not a Silent Hill game, lmao.

Generic

I honestly find the trailer cool, but I agree with the sentiment. Specially with quick time events, this does not belong in Silent Hill.
Mashing the buttons to escape from grabs is a thing since the first Hill game.

Not at all, it just doesn't connect with what people remember from Silent Hill 2 and the behavior of the nurses. It just looks bizarre and doesn't fit for those very familiar with the original. I don't disagree, it's 2024, I'd hope AI is improved.

I personally just thought it was hilarious because a vaulting animation screams a shooter or Gears of War-like action game. Not a Silent Hill game, lmao.
What is the nurse supposed to do then?

Killjoy-NL

Let's be honest, SH has been amazing at creating a tense atmosphere and interesting story, but the rest has always been mediocre.

Last edited:

Aion002

But THAT is exactly the problem ! Why not a good team ? With a good budget ?

Bloober is a little indie studios that made bad to average horror games. They dunno about game design, they dunno about how to make a scenario in a video game, they don't know shit. Layers of Fear are all shit games (not average : shit), Blair Witch is even worst (I am a fan of the Blair Witch franchise and when I played this game I thought that "oh fuck they're so bad at understanding the original material, at this point it's almost a talent to be so dumb"), when I heard the rumors about them making a new Silent Hill game or remaking SH2 (one of my favorite piece of art ever) I was scared.

I saw the announcement and because I'm kind I thought "well let's give them a chance, maybe the original team is helping them in some way".

The video of yesterday wasn't horrible but it was just... well again they don't seem to understand what Silent Hill is... They just take the universe / monsters of SH2 (easy : they're already created) and they thought "oh let's bring the RE2/3/4 combats into SH2 ! People liked RE2/3/4 combats ! Ahahah omg we're geniuses".

It's like the team behind Fast Racing Neo (good lil game) remaking gran turismo and being like "AHAHAH I KNOW ! Look at my NISSAN SKYLINE THROWING A RED SHELL TO THIS SUBARU IMPREZA !!! NICE HUH ???"

What I saw from the game yesterday is very underwhelming and the fact it doesn't have any launch window is indeed concerning.

Please Bloober, cancel it, don't spit on this legendary game that is Silent Hill 2, it's ok you can make your next game "Clowny the tormented clown" or whatever.

I really hope Konami will cancel the game.
Why?

Because it's Konami. They won't spend a lot of money to make good games, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

The only thing we can hope is that blobber, with the budget they got and expertise they have, can make something acceptable out of it.

And think about it... It could be a lot worse, like Metal Gear Survive worse.

MiguelItUp

Haha, it's not what they're "supposed" to do, but more-so the actions and appearance that others have been familiar with. Not vault? That in itself is what's pretty funny. Them shambling over the wall or something would've probably looked more fitting than full on vaulting IMO. In heels no less, lmao. I mean, assuming they're still in heels like they've always been. I'm assuming so as they've become one of the "icons" of the series for whatever reason, much like Pyramid Head.

source.gif
NGroup.gif

BHN.gif

Regardless, I'm not like, "OMG THE NURSE VAULTED GAME IS DEAD" or anything. I thought it just looked funny and felt out of place.

Last edited:

freemandos

Neo Member
Who decided fucking Bloober was the right team?
Probably someone thinking "they made The Medium, a Silent Hill-like game with good reviews, among a lot of other successful psychological horror games, and they're cheap and easy to handle."

Yap, there are better studios like Frictional or Protocol games, but who cares. And of course one man studios doesn't count ( they made far better horror games doesn't matter, even aping Silent Hill games vibes, not for a "big budget" game), and Sony ruined Japan Studio (probably the most capable team). Capcom, Tecmo? No, sir, they're still competition (and expensive)...even it doesn't make sense nowadays because Konami is not the same company of the past anymore.

Even weird is...they're worried more about publishing content, splitting resources and money on four Silent Hill products, even if two of them (for now) are bad filler instead of...I don't know...focusing resources and budget only in one new big kickass game. And if it wasn't enough, maybe...also publishing again P.T on store, for example? Cheaper and would get more praise.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Another legendary series tarnished with an unnecessary and amateur remake.
I hear what you're saying but SH has been in the gutter for decades now. People place the series on such an absurdly high pedestal. I'm not saying 1-3 don't deserve to be there, but it's just one of those series where nothing is rational in how fans approach it. 🤷

Comment isn't directed specifically at you, just using your comment to get some thoughts out.

gotta admit, i was kinda surprised by just how awkward & thick the character movement appears to be. everything seems very 'walking through sludge' like. part of an attempt to create a somewhat confused, hallucinatory atmosphere, maybe? definitely looks/feels off...

fart town usa

Gold Member
I hope they include being able to walk around aimlessly while swinging a piece of wood. One of my favorite things in SH2, so damn goofy in the best of ways.

Matsuchezz

I guess since the nurses are kind of dead or whatnot their muscles should be stiff, probably they should try to jump the obstacle but fail and fall nosedive to the other side.

I Like some of what was shown, but some textures look very rough, what I am most worried about is the voice over and acting, we have not heard Angela nor Eddies voices.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Ah yes, Bloober Team and their subtelty of a Polish brick. What can go wrong?

Usually they are quite good with enviroments at least, but even they kinda suck in the trailer.

At least they can't spoil Yamaoka's mastepriece of an OST. The only good part of that deaded trailer.

ShadowNate

I have yet to enjoy a single Bloober title, but honestly this trailer wasn't that bad. It actually made me feel a little more hopeful about the project than the teaser screenshots we had before.

It felt that they tried to faithfully recreat some cutscenes (even when they didn't really have to) probably to make a point that they are sticking close to the original, maybe.

Anyway, a trailer is a trailer, I'm sure the final result will find ways to disappoint.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just want to remind people that Bloober formed when Nibris turned into a vaporware studio. (Sadness for Wii, Double Bloob for DS, Raid over the River for DS, etc). Gamebryo engine was even licensed to make Sadness on the Wii.

Even though I've only played The Medium, Bloober Team has been something that has maintained my interest going as far back as 2007 or so when Sadness was first being hyped.

The writing has been on the wall for years, Bloober is a talented and driven team that deserves respect but their games are mediocre. I do think they could be something special at some point. As far as I know they're all young, probably late 30s.

I highly recommend to anyone who is interested, go take a dive into the internet of old and try to see what you can find on Nibris and Sadness. Everything that Bloober does is predictable and expected if you see where their roots lay.

Falafelkid was a blog and he was doing tons of Nibris research back in the day but he never posted the story, probably felt it wasnt necessary once Nibris closed shop.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It felt that they tried to faithfully recreat some cutscenes (even when they didn't really have to) probably to make a point that they are sticking close to the original, maybe.
This is my biggest takeaway. This looks like Silent Hill 2. It's rough, no doubt, but the foundation is there. Hopefully they can clean it up.

Top Bottom