• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Thread: Fixing Bioware's broke-ass console port, now with holstering

Hylian7

Anyone come up with a fix for this?

q1Yi1.jpg

This is fucking ridiculous.

What? The fact that Jessica Chobot is in the game? trollface.jpg

For those that liked the what the FXAA post processing injector "mod" did for Skyrim,
I made a video for "modding" the very popular FXAA post process injector for use with Mass Effect 3 (PC Only of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFPJYM5JlKY&feature=youtu.be

note: youtube may display the video "darker" than what it really "is when playing". Its similar to the experience of using a 60 hz monitor and a 120 hz monitor. Its only a couple of minutes of your time to test it out!

Remember, you can always change the configurations yourself to totally tweak it to your liking!

If you cant view the video the instructions are fairly simple.

1 First, download the FXAA post process injector from Skyrim nexus.
2 Then, extract the zip and open the folder.
3 Read the readme.
4 Cut (or copy) everything inside the extracted folder into the Mass Effect 3 directory,
where the game executable is located (usually at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32 ).
5 Then, choose any preset to use for Mass Effect 3. I personally like Preset 2 the best.
6 To do this, open a preset (Preset 2 for example). Then copy all of the contents inside
that and paste them into the folder you were just in a moment ago (the C:\Program Files
(x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32 folder).
7 IMPORTANT! Then delete FXAA_Tool.exe, as some origin clients detect this as a "hack" or "cheat", which causes the game to crash upon launching.
8 IMPORTANT2! Launch Mass Effect 3, and use the pause/break button to enable/disable the FXAA injector!

Enjoy =)

Entropia

No One Remembers
I asked in the OT but didn't get any answer and it moves too fast...

Has anyone had the game crash on them at all? Mine kept crashing, 5 times in a row after viewing
the prothean pod data/video
when I got control of me and my squad it would crash.

milesdm

I asked in the OT but didn't get any answer and it moves too fast...

Has anyone had the game crash on them at all? Mine kept crashing, 5 times in a row after viewing
the prothean pod data/video
when I got control of me and my squad it would crash.

Yeah, I had this. Googled it, and you won't believe the solution:
mashing the escape key
. Or at least that worked for me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Thanks, this is making my first play-through of ME1 a lot better. Anything like this available for ME2?
Here:

If you're looking to play through Mass Effect 2 again on PC, I highly recommend the various high resolution character textures. They significantly improve the resolution and detail on all major characters. I recently played through the game with the pack, and as can be seen in my screenshots below, the level of detail up close is exceptional. Garrus' face in particular is wonderful. If you want them, you can find most of them via the links below. Note you will need TexMod to get them running, and using them increases game's boot time by quite a bit.

decyx said:

I'm still having trouble getting my ME2 save to import. Does anyone have a good tool for editing save files? I tried one but didn't have any luck.

Texmod destroyed my framerate. I tried to deal with it on my last ME 2 playthrough but it was unacceptable in too many areas. I had hope when I found that another developer took it over with this project: Texmod uMod but it only worked with smaller textures in ME2. The developer is aware of the issues with Mass Effect 2 but was unable to fix them, the last time I checked.

Lime

Texmod destroyed my framerate. I tried to deal with it on my last ME 2 playthrough but it was unacceptable in too many areas. I had hope when I found that another developer took it over with this project: Texmod uMod but it only worked with smaller textures in ME2. The developer is aware of the issues with Mass Effect 2 but was unable to fix them, the last time I checked.

Texture resolution > framerate. On my 6950 it's still playable. The only bad framerate areas are in my memory the Normandy Galaxy Map place and some of the Cerberus facility in the beginning. But I'm more of a still picture guy than a motion picture one.

REV 09

this might actually be possible for someone to mod in. I was playing last night, and there is a section mid way through involving asari
adash yarkshi...bomb area (two sisters or Samara)
where if you point your gun at a certain individual Shepard actually lowers his weapon. This means that there is a code or at least an animation that lowers the gun. If a modder could potentially change that to a button prompt then it could theoretically be used throughout the entire game. Not sure if mods of this caliber are possible in ME3.

Lime

this might actually be possible for someone to mod in. I was playing last night, and there is a section mid way through involving asari
adash yarkshi...bomb area (two sisters or Samara)
where if you point your gun at a certain individual Shepard actually lowers his weapon. This means that there is a code or at least an animation that lowers the gun. If a modder could potentially change that to a button prompt then it could theoretically be used throughout the entire game. Not sure if mods of this caliber are possible in ME3.

The problem or challenge lies not in the animation, but telling the game code to let PC_LookX and PC_LookY to refer to rotating the camera instead of letting them refer to aiming. In my opinion the easiest solution is to have a hotkey that switches between the two game modes/control schemes:

1. The combat sequence (PC_Look tied to crosshair)
  2. The Hub sequence (PC_Look tied to rotating the camera)

If it's possible to activate the control scheme from the hub worlds (e.g. Sur Kesh, Citadel, etc.), then we could have holstering back with rotating camera. It could be something like "Name="Y", Command="Activate_SFXGamemodeHUB" or something like that. The problem is how to have the proper code and know what triggers hub world control schemes. If you get that information, there is a solution.

Any way, after seeing the ending, there are bigger problems to fix than the holster animation.

REV 09

The problem or challenge lies not in the animation, but telling the game code to let PC_LookX and PC_LookY to refer to rotating the camera instead of letting them refer to aiming. In my opinion the easiest solution is to have a hotkey that switches between the two game modes/control schemes:

1. The combat sequence (PC_Look tied to crosshair)
  2. The Hub sequence (PC_Look tied to rotating the camera)

If it's possible to activate the control scheme from the hub worlds (e.g. Sur Kesh, Citadel, etc.), then we could have holstering back with rotating camera. It could be something like "Name="Y", Command="Activate_SFXGamemodeHUB" or something like that. The problem is how to have the proper code and know what triggers hub world control schemes. If you get that information, there is a solution.

Any way, after seeing the ending, there are bigger problems to fix than the holster animation.
i'm not referring to straight up holstering. i'm referring to a situation where Shepard lowers his weapon...it's only happened once in the game for me so far. He was pointing at a friendly NPC and he lowered his weapon...it's worth noting that he was technically still aiming because whenever you moved the crosshair away from the NPC he lifted his gun again. I think it would be a good compromise to just have this "lowered" weapon mode while not shooting in combat areas. I snapped a pic, but it's on another pc. i'll try to post it in a bit.

No issues here loading all those mods in, but I have a relatively new rig.

I have an i7 930 @ 3.9Ghz, 8GB ram and an overclocked HD 7970 and I was getting drops into the teens in some areas. From what I gathered, it impacts some configurations much harder than others. It didn't even seem to be a AMD vs Nvidia issue. Even though I have a relatively high end rig, I just seem to be one of the unlucky ones.

I have an i7 930 @ 3.9Ghz, 8GB ram and an overclocked HD 7970 and I was getting drops into the teens in some areas. From what I gathered, it impacts some configurations much harder than others. It didn't even seem to be a AMD vs Nvidia issue. Even though I have a relatively high end rig, I just seem to be one of the unlucky ones.

Did you try adding Poolsize=2000 (or more) to your Gamersettings.ini? That tweak should work on both Mass Effect 2 and 3, and will give the game more VRAM for high res textures I'd think. If it's at the default, it's something bullshit like 140 MB.

Did you try adding Poolsize=2000 (or more) to your Gamersettings.ini? That tweak should work on both Mass Effect 2 and 3, and will give the game more VRAM for high res textures I'd think. If it's at the default, it's something bullshit like 140 MB.

That effects textures loaded in with texmod? Holy shit, if that works, I will be thankful but very disappointed that I just played through the entire game without it.

Lime

i'm not referring to straight up holstering. i'm referring to a situation where Shepard lowers his weapon...it's only happened once in the game for me so far. He was pointing at a friendly NPC and he lowered his weapon...it's worth noting that he was technically still aiming because whenever you moved the crosshair away from the NPC he lifted his gun again. I think it would be a good compromise to just have this "lowered" weapon mode while not shooting in combat areas. I snapped a pic, but it's on another pc. i'll try to post it in a bit.

No, I know what you are referring to. The animation also plays when confronting NPCs or looking into a wall. I just would like to have a rotating camera as well, besides the holstering :)

That effects textures loaded in with texmod? Holy shit, if that works, I will be thankful but very disappointed that I just played through the entire game without it.

Could you report back on this, FelixLighter? I'm very interested in bumping up the framerate when using Texmod.

Could you report back on this, FelixLighter? I'm very interested in bumping up the framerate when using Texmod.

Unfortunately, it had no effect. It was worth a try though. It did remind me how much better female Shepard's armor is with that mod. The low res textures are such a disappointment.

Unfortunately, it had no effect. It was worth a try though. It did remind me how much better female Shepard's armor is with that mod. The low res textures are such a disappointment.

So you pasted this into Gamersettings.ini?

[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=2000

Also, if you go into Coalesced.bin and use an editor, you can adjust Poolsize in there as well. Might wanna try that too.

But depending on how Texmod replaces textures, it might not work. Texmod may replace textures actively as the game runs... in which case I'm not sure if Poolsize will help.

Edit: I think editing Poolsize in Coalesced.bin with an ME2 editor will work. Try it.

So you pasted this into Gamersettings.ini?

[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=2000

Also, if you go into Coalesced.bin and use an editor, you can adjust Poolsize in there as well. Might wanna try that too.

But depending on how Texmod replaces textures, it might not work. Texmod may replace textures actively as the game runs... in which case I'm not sure if Poolsize will help.

Edit: I think editing Poolsize in Coalesced.bin with an ME2 editor will work. Try it.

I did add those lines to the Gamersettings.ini but I didn't edit the Coalesced.bin. I'll give it a try.

Edit: I edited the PoolSize variable and rebuilt the Coalesced.bin and it still didn't effect the framerate. Thanks for the suggestions, though. It was worth a try.

I did add those lines to the Gamersettings.ini but I didn't edit the Coalesced.bin. I'll give it a try.

Edit: I edited the PoolSize variable and rebuilt the Coalesced.bin and it still didn't effect the framerate. Thanks for the suggestions, though. It was worth a try.

Ah, that sucks! That would've been awesome if it fixed the problem.

Lime

JeanLuc761, the guy behind the ME2 texture mods, commented on the possibility of him doing textures for ME3:

I'm damned nervous about trying. I don't want my account to be banned as Texmod would require slightly modifying the .exe. That assumes it would work at all.

I know there's a slim chance of getting banned for renaming an .exe file (although it's EA we're dealing with), but I'd be more than willing to gift him a new copy of ME3 for the same amount of amazing work he did for ME2. Or donate the equivalent amount of money to charity in his name, so that EA doesn't see a cent of it.

JeanLuc761, the guy behind the ME2 texture mods, commented on the possibility of him doing textures for ME3:

I know there's a slim chance of getting banned for renaming an .exe file (although it's EA we're dealing with), but I'd be more than willing to gift him a new copy of ME3 for the same amount of amazing work he did for ME2.

I wonder if he could just port over most of his work from ME2?

injurai

Banned
I may play this now... Geez when I first started playing around with the .ini I was shocked to see they removed all the options from what was already the most backwards way of changing settings. Its like the personally hate PC gamers or something. For shame EA/Bioware.

Lime

I wonder if he could just port over most of his work from ME2?

Yeah, much of his work could be transferred as long as he names the textures and mappings correctly to what they correspond to in ME3. As for the new stuff in ME3, the textures for the new squad mates as well as Shepard's N7 armour would probably prioritized, I imagine (or hope).

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Will the xpadder stuff/profiles work in ME1 and ME2? I'm going to do a full run through on the series and I wanted to do it with a controller in 1 and 2.

RedSwirl

You guys got anything for loading a save file with DLC attatched while offline? It's stupid that Origin verifies the DLC upon every load instead of just the first time you install it.

You guys got anything for loading a save file with DLC attatched while offline? It's stupid that Origin verifies the DLC upon every load instead of just the first time you install it.

Only way that i know is to use a modified exe, which will get you banned if you open origin, :(, i have the same problem as im having internet issues at home right now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know there's a slim chance of getting banned for renaming an .exe file (although it's EA we're dealing with), but I'd be more than willing to gift him a new copy of ME3 for the same amount of amazing work he did for ME2. Or donate the equivalent amount of money to charity in his name, so that EA doesn't see a cent of it.

People on the BSN have reported bans simply from playing multiplayer with a hosting players who has a hacked file coalesced.bin. Banned by unintentional association. I'm pretty sure everybody will be shit scared to try hacking legit copies of ME3, because EA's Nazi game content policy will ban them at the drop of a pin.

Lime

People on the BSN have reported bans simply from playing multiplayer with a hosting players who has a hacked file coalesced.bin. Banned by unintentional association. I'm pretty sure everybody will be shit scared to try hacking legit copies of ME3, because EA's Nazi game content policy will ban them at the drop of a pin.

Is the method for banning based on reporting of abuse or is it Origin looking through your local files?

If one wants to avoid banning, you could use a fixed .exe to bypass Origin and subvert any online authentication (if we are only talking about playing singleplayer). This avoids having EA looking at your local files.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What the fuck is happening with this game? It's the most anti-consumer release I have ever witnessed.

Found a new AA compatibility bit, may give better performance for 4x SGSSAA.

0x000010C1

But best of all, it allows supersampling AA to work! I tested it with 3x3 SSAA and it worked beautifully!

Fuck yes.

Dennis

Banned

0x000010C1

But best of all, it allows supersampling AA to work! I tested it with 3x3 SSAA and it worked beautifully!

Fuck yes.

What Nvidia drivers are you using?

I installed the new ones and now I can't get AA to work anymore.

hlhbk

0x000010C1

Fuck yes.

Doesn't work for me, AA doesn't work as soon as I change the bit.

Top Bottom