• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So you want to play Halo 1 on PC in 2017? (Fixed animation / art fixes / source port)

Hello NeoGAF,
Halo is a masterpiece of FPS, but its Gearbox made PC port has been a historical disappointing alternative since its conception. Its problems are numerous:
Code:
1. Art inconsistencies with the OG Xbox Release - the porting over the years and the originally ported are were missing normal mapped layers in places, had extra ones where they ought not be, had missing shader behaviour (jackal shields, UI element flashing, etc). These problems have carried over to the ports of the game on xbox 360 and even xbox one.
2. Has trouble reaching arbitrary resolutions and has no in game FOV scale
3. Lacks the local co-op of the original completely
4. [B]The game has an unlocked refresh rate and framerate for things like camera motion, but all world animation in the game is locked at 30fps.[/B] It looks like garbage.
5. HUD and scope are non-wide 4:3 aspect ratio compliant
6. Windows no longer supports EAX audio in a good way

Thankfully, the Halo modding scene has been huge since it hit PC and have constantly been striving to make the game and modding experience better, whether that be engine changes in something like OpenSauce or entire remakes of the campaign as in SPV3. And as of late a bomb was dropped, Halo 1's animation problem has been largely fixed on PC by a modder 002, and it is called Chimera:

Before:
BlaringSmallDrever.gif

After:
FatalExcellentIndianjackal.gif

This adding of animation interpolation, currently, effects nearly all animated elements in the game: third person models, first person models, physics debris, physics objects, and even particle effects (something that Halo MCC did not even do correctly). So Halo now animates the smoothest on PC, and that animation is not locked to 60 fps and 60 hz. I am currently playing the game at 120hz and 120 fps and the animations smoothy interpolate to that target framerate, it is game changing.

So this effectively eliminates the largest visual / performance problem in Halo PC, but how do you Anno 2017 use it? And what is the best way to use it so as to help mitigate other problems with the Halo PC port?

1. Download Halo Custom Edition (only the English Language Version, other versions exhibit texture corruption), and then patch it to the latest 1.0.10. Make sure you have a valid halo CD key, Halo CD keys can be used an infinite amount of times, no secure rom here.
2. Download Chimera, latest build is 44. And place the "chimera.dll" in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\controls" folder.
3. Get a modern UI so as to access the campaign menu. I recommend Universal UI 1.1. Place the case sensitive (make sure the file is lowercase type) "ui.map" file in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\maps" directory. It will replace the original UI.
4. Get the proper campaign maps. This is a very important step, there are a number of releases of the Campaign maps ported to Halo Custom Edition, yet they have a number of art errors due to the porting (lacking bipdeal shadows) and maintain the art problems of the original PC release. A modder called Moses recently has gone through the campaign and added a lot of missing mulitimaps (detail textures), shaders flags, and visuals so as to approach the xbox original. It is not perfect, but at least the assault rifle now looks like it should!
5. Download an EAX emulator for windows. Here is a link to one I am hosting: Creative Alchemy Universal, Link. This emulator works with Realtek onboard audio. Install the linked file post-download. Restart PC. Open up "Creative Alchemy Universal", add the Haloce.exe if it is not already been scanned to the list of EAX emulation games. Start up Halo CE, go into the options, make sure audio is set to the high and higest settings possible, turn Hardware Accelearation to EAX and then click "envionmental sounds" to ON (which is greyed until you change hardware acceleration to EAX). Now you will have proper sound emulation with no abrupt cutoffs in audio, good environmental sounds, and more sound channels.
6. Load up the game, set up your visual quality settings in the settings menu. I recommend using VSR or DSR to supersample since Halo does not feature MSAA, SSAA suport and an uncapped Vsync refresh. Then I recommend using adaptive Vsync as in your video card control panel, if not that, forced vsync through other means.
7. Configure Chimera through the ingame console (^° on german keyboards, ~ elsewhere) to get the best Halo Experience. You will want to use these commands to make the game TWIMTBP.
Code:
chimera_interpolate X // where X is a number 0-9 to control quality, types of objects effected and the distance of effect. 9 affects nearly everything at great distances, it carries a higher yet negligible performance cost for modern CPUs.
chimera_af X // where X is 0 or 1. Halo PC shipped originally without support for normal hardware texture filtering or SSAA or MSAA support. Even the Control Panel of your GPU driver will be ineffective. This fixes that and forces 16x AF for all surfaces as long as your control panel is set to 16x for the game or globally.
chimera_vertical_fov XX // where XX is a double digit number to your visual desire. Since Halo is now being played, presumable, in wide screen on your system the default FOV will render the view model incorrectly and be rather cramped. You can adjust this to your liking of course, but I find that an fov calue of 65 replicates the original first person view model placement and aspect ratio while also offering enough peripheral vision so I do not feel sick.
chimera_uncap_cinematic X // where X is 1 or 0. This will add animation interpolation to cutscenes and eliminate their hardlocked 30fps cap.
chimera_widescreen_scope_mask X // where X is 1 or 0, this will fix the aspect ratio of the scope when zooming in on all scoped weapons
chimera_block_vehicle_camera_leveling X // X is 1 or 0, precents automatic camera leveling in vehicles. Aids is mouse control.
chimera_block_lod X // where X is 1 or 0. This turns off all geometry LODs, which honestly, are not necessary with modern GPUs or even CPUs. I did not notice aditional aliasing at all when downsampled from 3840X2160.
8. (Optional) Download Open Sauce. Halo Open Suace provides extra modding and shading support to the Halo CE engine, but importantly for players, it adds some interesting post-processing: a velocity based camera motion blur, native FXAA support, and a tasteful bloom. The bloom is actually pretty good and fits the Halo bright artstyle (without going Oblivion-like). Motion blur has a low sample count, but generally looks great at high framerates. After installing it it will automatically have bloom enabled in its config (located at: "C:\Users\your_username\Documents\my games\Halo CE\OpenSauce"). Motion Blur has to be manually turned on by opening up the "OS_Settings.User.xml" file and editing the section that looks like this.
<PostProcessing>
<MotionBlur>
<Enabled>false</Enabled>
<BlurAmount>1</BlurAmount>
</MotionBlur>
Here you will change false, to "true" (without quotations).
9. Click on the Campaign in the Menu using the new UI and start enjoying Halo with near-Xbox art, better than console performance and animations, and healthy customisation options for how you play the game! :D

Thx to all those in the recent SPV3 release thread, where I became aware of all these fixes!

Vespa

Great post, OP. I was looking to install the game for SVP3.

iPQHh5Z.gif

So buttery.

What's left lacking on the art side, Fog?

Storm360

Awesome, the frame rate issue made me play MCC instead, so glad that it's finally fixed after all these years. (After all, Halo PC was my introduction to the franchise).

Does this enable co-op? (Hopefully networked?)

wwm0nkey

Yeah, I'll just grab my 16 year old CD that I've stored for all this time in my personal safe for this specific occasion.

:(

Any Halo CD key will work any amount of times now. If a friend has one or someone on here does they can PM you with it....I would but not at my house atm to grab my key haha

angelic

Banned
This is slightly the wrong place, but I had a version of Halo 1 on my modded xbox back in the day that was a modifed .xbe executable, with a kind of debug menu built in. You could set it so any gun fired any projectile, and modify the warthog into firing rockets, and so on. It was amazing, the physics fully held up even when blasting rockets from a banshee into the sea. No one I tell ever remembers it but it was great. Best version I ever played.

I always alternated between playing campaign on the OG xbox and PC. It might be harder to go back to the console version now. This change is so huge for me. 120 FPS halo sounds insane.

Is it possible to implement this in Multiplayer by any chance?

wwm0nkey

I always alternated between playing campaign on the OG xbox and PC. It might be harder to go back to the console version now. This change is so huge for me. 120 FPS halo sounds insane.

Is it possible to implement this in Multiplayer by any chance?

From what I saw, yes it works in MP

Am I right in thinking the only real thing missing now is the amazing god ray shader that the Xbox version had?
The original PC version had and has them actually!
LiquidActualHeron.gif

You are thinking of the Halo 1 remaster which as an inferior sun effect.
Awesome, the frame rate issue made me play MCC instead, so glad that it's finally fixed after all these years. (After all, Halo PC was my introduction to the franchise).

Does this enable co-op? (Hopefully networked?)
Still no co-op as far as I know. That will probably not be possible until xbox emulation exists.
Great post, OP. I'm was looking to install the game for SVP3.

iPQHh5Z.gif

So buttery.

What's left lacking on the art side, Fog?
Fog is fixed in a number of scenes I have seen so far, like these Tunnels on Halo, IIRC, did not have the valley fog in the original PC release.

JoeLT

Any comparisons between Moses fixed campaign and the original? What effects are still missing? Seeing how MCC didn't fix a lot of them it would be fantastic to finally have a definitive version of Halo.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Is there any preferred place to buy/obtain the OG version on PC these days?

My CD key is lost to the ages.

NeOak

IIRC, wasn't because the game was having problems on NVIDIA cards? Like the missing camo effect on them.

The irony, I know. I was really surprised Nvidia users got an inferior experience by default.

Any comparisons between Moses fixed campaign and the original? What effects are still missing? Seeing how MCC didn't fix a lot of them it would be fantastic to finally have a definitive version of Halo.
Missing effects is hard to say, as I am still going through the campaign. If I am not mistaken, there are still some lighting inconsistencies on truth and reconciliation, the plasma pistol in third person may not have proper point light support (just checked, it has plasma glow), and the water texture is the same as the OG PC release. But you have fixes to missing detail maps across the board, proper weapon textures, proper shadows, and seemingly proper fog from my experience so far.
Is there any preferred place to buy/obtain the OG version on PC these days?

My CD key is lost to the ages.
I found used copies on Amazon years ago, but they are long gone. Nowadays to get the game you need to know someone who has the CD Key and is willing to share it with you, the game has no licence restricting the multiple use of CD keys.
IIRC, wasn't because the game was having problems on NVIDIA cards? Like the missing camo effect on them.

The irony, I know. I was really surprised Nvidia users got an inferior experience by default.
On release I think it had that problem. And then years later as well after CE's re-release IIRC (lol). It works today of course!

The original PC version had and has them actually!
LiquidActualHeron.gif

You are thinking of the Halo 1 remaster which as an inferior sun effect.

Huh, I had no idea. I could've sworn that the reason Halo CE:A had the downgraded effect was because it was based on the PC version, which in turn had it missing.

HTupolev

Huh, I had no idea. I could've sworn that the reason Halo CE:A had the downgraded effect was because it was based on the PC version, which in turn had it missing.
Classic Mode has graphical issues compared with the original Xbox version because it's based on the PC version. The sun in Anniversary Mode has nothing to do with that.

The sun works fine in CEA Classic Mode.

Fog is fixed in a number of scenes I have seen so far, like these Tunnels on Halo, IIRC, did not have the valley fog in the original PC release.
That picture doesn't make it obvious that it's fixed. I can see the depth fog, but that's not what was missing in that scene. It's the animated fog effect that's gone.

There are some spots (like the sky on AotCR) where depth/height fog effects were also messed up, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgDWDfg4ik

Classic Mode has graphical issues compared with the original Xbox version because it's based on the PC version. The sun in Anniversary Mode has nothing to do with that.

Now I'm really confused, because I swear I remember seeing your exact gif of the godrays posted alongside one which (still in the classic graphics and not updated) only had a lens flare. Is there *any* classic-graphics Halo CE that has the broken rays? This is really messing with me lol.

HTupolev

Now I'm really confused, because I swear I remember seeing your exact gif of the godrays posted alongside one which (still in the classic graphics and not updated) only had a lens flare. Is there *any* classic-graphics Halo CE that has the broken rays? This is really messing with me lol.
I don't think that the rays are broken in any classic variant.

Lork

Do these campaign maps fix the issue with the AI not throwing grenades that was in previous ports to CE? I don't see that mentioned.

That picture doesn't make it obvious that it's fixed. I can see the depth fog, but that's not what was missing in that scene. It's the animated fog effect that's gone.

There are some spots (like the sky on AotCR) where depth/height fog effects were also messed up, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgDWDfg4ik

I was waiting for you to post!!! :D

I hope you giv eit a try btw in spite of some of the different effect and texture pallete on display at times, the game feels wonderful at proper framerate!

Which animated effect do you mean btw for the fog? I would love to hear what you know.

Any Halo CD key will work any amount of times now. If a friend has one or someone on here does they can PM you with it....I would but not at my house atm to grab my key haha

...can i use a halo mac cd key for pc?

i'm confident the answer is no cuz i think the serial keys are 12 characters vs 16

HTupolev

Which animated effect do you mean btw for the fog? I would love to hear what you know.
There are transparent puffs of fog in the tunnels that respond to parallax. The effect isn't perfect, it's a bit odd with respect to rotation and forward motion, but it's nice for atmosphere. Its use helps a lot in the 343GS swamp and when you're flying in the skies of AotCR/TB.

Here's what the tunnels look like in the original version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyZn3cgPd8c

(The animated fog also exists at the bottom of the chasm.)

I hope you giv eit a try btw in spite of some of the different effect and texture pallete on display at times, the game feels wonderful at proper framerate!
I might need to do something about my present lack of Halo PC.

insin

Neo Member
Is there a handy way to replace the crosshairs with something which is a bit more accurate at 1080p? The pistol one in particular is massive.

There are transparent puffs of fog in the tunnels that respond to parallax. The effect isn't perfect, it's a bit odd with respect to rotation and forward motion, but it's nice for atmosphere. Its use helps a lot in the 343GS swamp and when you're flying in the skies of AotCR/TB.

Here's what the tunnels look like in the original version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyZn3cgPd8c

(The animated fog also exists at the bottom of the chasm.)
Yep that is missing still. I would imagine the asset was never even packaged with the Gearbox version of the game :X
I might need to do something about my present lack of Halo PC.
Ask a friend if you could use their key. Maybe that friend could be me.

BTW, I just saw this, you ever notice this before?
Halo Spherical Area Light?
Is there a handy way to replace the crosshairs with something which is a bit more accurate at 1080p? The pistol one in particular is massive.

It is interesting to note how different some hud elements are. Some seem to scale perfect with resolution almost (the bullet remaining in magazine element, the Health and shield widget), yet crosshair has a stretched aspect ration and resolution... I will look around for HUD stuff and post any I find.

NekoFever

This is slightly the wrong place, but I had a version of Halo 1 on my modded xbox back in the day that was a modifed .xbe executable, with a kind of debug menu built in. You could set it so any gun fired any projectile, and modify the warthog into firing rockets, and so on. It was amazing, the physics fully held up even when blasting rockets from a banshee into the sea. No one I tell ever remembers it but it was great. Best version I ever played.

I remember playing with that. We used to make the pistol fire Master Chief models and the assault rifle fire rockets, so we'd spawn dozens of Master Chiefs, then make the game slow to a crawl by firing rockets into the crowd and overwhelming it with physics calculations.

YES to this thread. I used to love playing Halo CE on pc. Even had the halo custom edition mod where you could download extra mods and stuff was pretty good. Always was fun seeing what people came up with. Unfortunately I think I lost my cd key. I know theres a cd key finder that brings it up for you if you already have the game installed and cd key entered. That might be a good option for people that have forgotten or lost theirs but still have access to the game. Posting on mobile atm but when I get on my home comp I'll try to see if I can find my key and post some other old stuff.

HTupolev

Arkanius

They finally fixed the animations?
SUPERB

I played the campaign a few months ago and I had to lock to 30 FPS on PC (ugh) just to make it look coherent

I have updated the OP to cover some options for adding post-processing and for getting proper EAX sound emulation under post-vista Windows.

FyreWulff

I also share in the hallucination that the sun rays were broken in PC at some point.

Halo 2 PC also has a similar issue where all of the "overbloom"/"lightbleed" effects from the Xbox version are gone. Most noticeable in the scene where Arbiter is shown his armor in the pod.

xbawx - pc

SICg6gK.png
8IicwwY.png

daninthemix

Please can someone explain how to get the controller support working?

I'm launching the game through Steam, using Steam's DualShock4 support to emulate a normal gamepad. In the game settings menu, I can only select Keyboard and Mouse. No gamepads are listed.

BNGames

For some reason the guns and vehicles all seem to be running at a different framerate than the background, its infuriating. No idea how to fix it, ive searched a bit and found nothing conclusive.

So I went looking to see if there was anyway to play Halo 2 on PC online, and it turns out there is and its magnificent. Just uploaded this

Video: https://youtu.be/L21AwWSK4wM

InQk3hXl.jpg

This reddit post talks about how to connect, its damn easy and runs great.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloOnline/comments/35sh67/are_you_yearning_for_some_classic_halo_action/

c0Zm1c

..a historical disappointing alternative since its conception.

Despite the omission of co-op and some technical drawbacks I always felt it was a good version of the game to be honest. I put many hours into it at the time; it quickly became my online multiplayer game of choice. The officially hosted dedicated servers were a pleasant surprise, as well as the extra multiplayer content we got in this version over the original Xbox game.

Top Bottom