• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wololo message to Sony (also another game that will also homebrew on Vita)

Luigiv

Gemüsepizza;36330774 said:
Does this kid really believe this? *facepalm*

The reality: "pirated games that will destroy the ps vita and possibly your entire company"

Given that he specifically design HBL to not be able to run ISOs, yes.

Does hot shots tennis actually work on the vita?

This sucks I was hoping that'd come to the us store :( I sold my psp and had a game save with like 40 hours on it. Such a great game.

Sooo... I want a dreamcast emulator on this thing. Wish those guys the best luck. i dont care for piracy, I just want to play my dreamcast collection on the go.

Yes, that is not contradictory to what I said. He could have but choose not to. That's what specifically designing a "product" to not do something means.
Working against an idea from the outset is different from designing something for some purpose, but not really caring what else is done with it.

In any case, he's smart enough to know that his work doesn't exist in a vacuum. He knows that other people are working along the same paths he is. I doubt Sony will actually say, "Hey, let's just leave this unpatched game up, it's obvious that this exploit will just be used for homebrew :p" because every exploit found on the PSP eventually led to things beyond 'just homebrew'.

It's bad though that Sony didn't refund people for those taken down games. That at least should be fixed. At least have the companies fix the games and put them back up, or something.

incase you didn't know...

oh, and if you buy the games sony removes, you can't download it and they haven't issued refunds

i don't have a vita but thats what wololo said on his blog.

I didn't know this, so I went and looked in my download list in Media Go, and low and behold, Motorstorm AE is conspicuous by its absense... So, I fired off a little missive to Sony Support:

Hi,

I went to download Motorstorm Arctic Edge this a.m. so I could play it today... I've been having fun with Motorstorm RC on my Vita and thought it would be good to revisit Arctic Edge on my PSPgo. Anyway, I'm looking around and it's no where to be found...

I know I own it - I purchased it on Nov. 1, 2009. Here's the confirmation email I got from Sony when I made the purchase:
Dear Jim,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your PlayStation(R)Store purchase.

A receipt of your purchase is below. Be sure to keep it in a safe place for future reference.

PlayStation(R)Store Receipt

Online ID xxxxx
Name Jim xxxxxxxxxx

Order Number 1236052477

Date/Time Purchased 10/01/2009 @ 05:31 PM
Total Amount $99.39

Item / Service Details Price (Dollars)

UP9000-NPUJ94163_00-0000000000000001-UG01 FINAL FANTASY(R) VII (PS3™/PSP(R)) (1.32 GB Required) $9.99

UP1063-ULUS10407_00-PRINNYLEGACY0001-UG01 Prinny Can I Really be the Hero? (254 MB Required) $9.99

UP9000-UCUS98743_00-GPCMOTORST000001-UP01 MotorStorm(R) Arctic Edge (525 MB Required) $39.99

UP0367-ULUS10225_00-PUZZQCWPSPDL0001-UG02 Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords™ (65 MB Required) $7.99

UP9000-NPUG80248_00-PJMONSTERSDELUXE-UG01 PixelJunk™ Monsters Deluxe (70 MB Required) $19.99

Sub Total $87.95
Tax $11.44

Total $99.39

$10.61 remains in your wallet, as of the date and time of this transaction.

As you can see, I paid $40 for this game, and I want to play it. Sony, WHERE IS MY GAME? Produce it, or refund my $40.

I hope they refund me my $40
lol - ya right!
- I never much liked that game...

jimi_dini

"could allow people to run software that would be extremely dangerous for your business, such as 20 year-old 8 bit games and 154 different versions of pong."

Sadly Sonys first console was the PlayStation, which was 32-bit. Fail. Fail. Fail.

"could allow people to run software that would be extremely dangerous for your business, such as 20 year-old 8 bit games and 154 different versions of pong."

Sadly Sonys first console was the PlayStation, which was 32-bit. Fail. Fail. Fail.
Um, he's derisively refering to the fact that the exploit allows people to play homebrew NES, Atari and other emulators on the Vita...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
He also knows where this shit leads, and still insists on allowing his shit to fall into the wrong hands.

His loader hasn't fallen into anybody's hand in terms of opening it to piracy, though. People have tried, but isos can't be loaded through his HBL. Anything that does that was created from separate methods.

jimi_dini

Um, he's derisively refering to the fact that the exploit allows people to play homebrew NES, Atari and other emulators on the Vita...

He says running homebrew games. Which would not include any emulators, because emulators are not homebrew games. And anyone involved in emulators can't seriously say that his work isn't used for piracy at all. I mean ScummVM/SCI has active checks and incompatibilities for pirated/cracked copies. Still no developer would say that it isn't used at all by people pirating those games. I know it is. We get lots of bug reports/forum posts about those. We ban those people, but they come again and again.

And he should be smart enough to know, that other people will crack/hack those exploits and use them for PSP/Vita piracy. Just take a look at Wii Homebrew Channel. I don't believe that anyone involved in such tasks could seriously deny their work being used for piracy, even if their own motivations are seriously innocent.

And pirating old games (NES, etc.) is still pirating. Yes, emulators also have legitimate uses, but just like ScummVM, many people use it for piracy. And his blog post seems like "Sony, why do you care, we only pirate old games from Non-Sony consoles".

BibiMaghoo

I'm fairly stunned that anyone would suggest that PS3 saves should not be able to be moved.....

I don't see why people should lose save data, because some kids are playing around with the saves to cheat a system that means nothing whatsoever.

You don't actually get anything for trophies you know.....

I am on my 6th PS3, 4 have failed, 1 I sold and 1 still works. I don't see why I should lose my saves because someone feels bad their trophy number is lower than someone's that cheated.

On topic, I'm pretty sure that Sony would already know about the exploit, and I'm also sure that the blog was not very funny at all.

neptunes

And he should be smart enough to know, that other people will crack/hack those exploits and use them for PSP/Vita piracy. Just take a look at Wii Homebrew Channel. I don't believe that anyone involved in such tasks could seriously deny their work being used for piracy, even if their own motivations are seriously innocent.

I don't keep up on the PSP Homebrew/Cracking scene, but there have been many groups cracking the PSP, all with their own methods and intentions, they see themselves as rivals. Wololo seemed to exploited the psp using HBL, which apparently cannot be used for piracy.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Guy sounds like a douche.

I'm surprised that some can be so nieve to think that any sort of hacking/cracking/jailbreaking/glitching wont be used to pirate games, because I don't think I have seen a console, handheld or mobile that once opened up hasn't been used for such purposes by plenty of people.

Xanathus

I didn't know this, so I went and looked in my download list in Media Go, and low and behold, Motorstorm AE is conspicuous by its absense... So, I fired off a little missive to Sony Support:

lol - ya right!

Wow, how come no one made a thread specifically about this?

Epcott

Hot Shots "Get a Grip"... obviously that's the joke.

But seeing how HBL cannot be used for isos, why the snarky letter ripe with cynicism directed to Sony in the first place?

I think it's commendable to go out of your way to create a homebrew that doesn't lead to piracy, but did Sony target him, I see no need for that letter.

horsebird

Banned
Hot Shots "Get a Grip"... obviously that's the joke.

But seeing how HBL cannot be used for isos, why the snarky letter ripe with cynicism directed to Sony in the first place?

I think it's commendable to go out of your way to create a homebrew that doesn't lead to piracy, but did Sony target him, I see no need for that letter.
E-fame. The guy sees himself as a shining beacon for a very niche "legit homebrew only" community and thinks he's making a statement.

How much money has Sony put into the Vita? Rampant piracy would not only kill the system, it could also be the death knell for Sony as a whole. I'd hate to see that.

jimi_dini

Wololo seemed to exploited the psp using HBL, which apparently cannot be used for piracy.

It seems HBL is running in user mode and for at least Vita/PSP(?) piracy, you would need kernel mode. Anyway, piracy via emulators is still possible (the mentioned 20 year old 8-bit games, although this includes SNES and N64 games). And it seems even PS1/PSX games could work that way (he mentioned that in the FAQ). So his "joke" blog post is even worse. At least the theoretical PS1/PSX games support would be at least one real reason for Sony to stop it. Even forgetting about the ability that this hack enables other hackers to access usermode and being able to run their own programs there, which would help at least a bit in hacking it further (think PS3/Linux, that Sony even supported themselves). Saying it can't be used for piracy at all just isn't true. It can't be used directly to pirate Vita and possibly PSP games, but that's basically it.

Razorskin

----- ------
??

Isn't PS3 piracy pretty widespread? (Or is that sarcasm that I didn't catch?)

Not sure about piracy, but the Homebrew scene has died down a lot. They were pretty confident that Sony would never be able to stop future exploits and then one firmware update later they were proven all wrong.

horsebird

Banned
PS3 piracy is a thing, yes. Requires old firmware to get working and I believe there are compatibility issues. It's not widespread because of this.

Its not widespread at all, in fact I don't think I've ever seen any stories about people getting pirated software to run on ps3.

That's surprising. I was in a game shop in India recently looking for a DSi charger and there were a couple of kids there who were getting PS3 games copied onto their HDDs. They were getting Modern Warfare 3 and FIFA 12, so I assumed PS3 piracy was as widespread as on the xbo 360 and ps2.

Its not widespread at all, in fact I don't think I've ever seen any stories about people getting pirated software to run on ps3.

Pirated software was running on the PS3 last year. Haven't paid attention if the scene is still active but yes, the system was cracked and someone could run pirated software on it if they felt to do so.

Flunkie

Banned
I'd like to use this as a podium to say that Sony needs to put more PSP games on Vita because I know there's tons of people willing to double-dip for the gems of last gen on Vita.

Just.. shit like this.. pisses me off so much. Go do something productive instead of trying to hack everything in existence.

I'd like to use this as a podium to say that Sony needs to put more PSP games on Vita because I know there's tons of people willing to double-dip for the gems of last gen on Vita.

Just.. shit like this.. pisses me off so much. Go do something productive instead of trying to hack everything in existence.

Yes, "productive", otherwise known as the list of things that Sony would approve of.

Because that bullshit winds up affecting everyone.

If Wololo wants to hack his Vita, be my guest. Why is there a need to broadcast the directions on how to do it on his website, when he damn well knows others will use his exploits for piracy?

If you want to hack your Vita to run games for free, figure it out YOURSELF.

Maybe because if he won't broadcast it then someone else will? I like what he is doing as he is pretty much warning Sony.

How is it not?

If there's anything wrong with Sony's handling of saves, it's that they allow far more locked saves (and far fewer ways to effectively back them up) than Microsoft. In an ideal world they wouldn't allow save locking, save encryption, or anything else that restricts access to save files. People getting upset about the existence of hacked trophies is like the worst reason imaginable to lock down saves.

lol - ya right!
Wow, how come no one made a thread specifically about this?
hmm... I guess I could start a thread to document my adventures with this issue if it is deemed thread-worthy... I've never started a thread before, but there's a first time for everything I guess...

And this is shaping up like it could be an amusing run. Here's the email response I received from Sony Customer Service this afternoon:
Hello Jim,

Thank you Jim for taking the time to contact Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) regarding the MotorStorm® Arctic Edge game. My name is Sandy and I will assist you. I apologize for any frustration this may have caused and I can certainly answer your questions.

I can certainly understand your frustration considering the investment involved in this game and the anticipation you felt at playing it once more. I apologize for the disappointment you may have felt and I can certainly assist you in locating the game.

First, please verify you are signed in to the jimid account on the PSP®go system. Also verify the system is activated for game content for this account. You can verify this by proceeding to Account Management, System Activation.

The MotorStorm Arctic Edge game does require a demo, please download the demo first (from your download list or from the PlayStation®Store, whichever you prefer). Once the demo is downloaded, please download the game from the download list. You can access the download list by proceeding to Account Management, Transaction Management, Download List. As this game was purchased a couple years ago, it will be far down the list.

Thank you so much Jim for your time and for allowing me to assist you with the MotorStorm Arctic Edge game. Jim, you may also receive a brief survey asking about my customer service, if you do receive the Customer Satisfaction Survey, I would greatly appreciate it if you would fill it out.

Sincerely,
Sandy S
It's very polite, and appears to genuinely want to be helpful. Unfortunately, after spending 20 minutes on PSN on my PSPgo (just in case you can only access the game from a PSP, as opposed to using Media Go or my PS3), I can state with absolute certainty that Motorstorm Arctic Edge is NOT on PSN in any way shape or form. So this is some seriously misguided shit they're shoveling...

I hate locked saves. I want to be able to take my Dark Souls save and put it on a USB drive or back it up to a computer.

If they're worried about people hacking their save files and getting to level 10000 or something, can't they make it so that you can copy them but not edit them?

Audioboxer

Really?

Yeah the homebrew scene enjoy your work, are grateful and wish it could coincide without any issues... but it doesn't, homebrew never has as it's usually somewhat of a security concern.

Writing a retarded letter like that, internet "lulz" or not just makes me think lesser of his character as a person. Keep working on what you're good at, and leave the lame jokes for someone else.

Is every single person who has talent in the field of homebrew or reverse engineering always some intolerable idiot when it comes to being able to conduct themselves socially? The amount of drama and silliness with the PS3 homebrew, and now a letter like this leads me to believe it's simply impossible for someone like me to ever be talented in that field of "work".

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
His loader hasn't fallen into anybody's hand in terms of opening it to piracy, though. People have tried, but isos can't be loaded through his HBL. Anything that does that was created from separate methods.

Have you looked at the PSP scene at all? Are you seriously going to play dumb, like nothing can come of him and his Loader exploits? Much like the original PSP scene it's going to take time, but once the door's opened, it's not good. Plus you can bet these guys are testing other PSP games, demos, and save states looking for a way in.

test_account

XP-39C²
I am not quite sure what he (Wololo) tries to accomplish with this bad sarcastic post. He really thinks that a company will allow exploits to be open/unpatched because of this? I cant imagine that any companies thinks "oh, this exploits allows things to do that could lead to your system getting hacked, but maybe there is a small chance for it, so we wont bother to fix the exploit".

Or maybe he feels guilty that Sony took Motorstorm Artic Edge off the PS Store due to his work/posting on that this game could be used for exploiting? Or maybe it was just his way of venting somehow, nothing wrong with that though.

EDIT: Nevermind, Wololo says that he just ment it in a humorous way =)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If there's anything wrong with Sony's handling of saves, it's that they allow far more locked saves (and far fewer ways to effectively back them up) than Microsoft. In an ideal world they wouldn't allow save locking, save encryption, or anything else that restricts access to save files. People getting upset about the existence of hacked trophies is like the worst reason imaginable to lock down saves.

Most devs/pubs that do it, say they are preserving it for the leaderboard functions or some shit like that, make the game fair/balanced

Remember the COD change your name color, or use different icons in your tags, some went and changed their color to green to take advantage of it, not super detrimental, but you get the gist of it

test_account

XP-39C²
Apparently his post was just ment to be humorous and not sarcastic:

I also have to apologize for the bitterness and not-so-funny post when I announced wth’s exploit this morning. Not everybody is a born humorist. Although if I had to guess, I’d say people who didn’t find it funny are the people who actually bought Ridge Racer :p . Seriously though, my point was not to sound arrogant towards Sony, but to announce the release in a humorous post. So, apologies to many people on other websites who apparently didn’t catch that, I agree it’s difficult to understand where this post is coming from if you haven’t been following this blog regularly.

http://wololo.net/wagic/2012/03/25/the-responsibility-of-hackers

Top Bottom