• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's advocate: A Sony Cloud/Remote Play handheld could eliminate Vita's biggest flaw

Physical storage.

When a beaver hears water, without hesitation, it starts to build a damn with anything it finds.

When Sony sees media, bless their hearts, they go full R&D and make proprietary storage device. They cant help themselves. From UMDs to Vita memory cards.

So, this alleged Cloud base or Remote Play handheld is Sony's way of suppressing it own instinct.

This will be good for the consumer because it lower the cost for several reasons:
  1. Lowers the cost of the hardware without needing expanded storage
  2. Lower the cost of the hardware without needing a high gpu (for remote play, the ps5 gpu is doing all the work)
"But sony could just make a vita 2 thats digital only"

Yeah, but that would require it's own PSN store or an curatied version of the ps5's PSN much like Steam is for Steam Deck.

Also, PSVR2

Sony has their studios making PS5 abd VR exclusive. To add a 3rd console in the mix with it's own library of exclusive would be chaos.

AND you want PC ports of PS5 games!?!? Come on bruh...

Last edited:

skit_data

When Sony sees media, bless their hearts, they go full R&D and make proprietary storage device. They cant help themselves. From UMDs to Vita memory cards.
They have used non-proprietary storage for Playstation consoles since the PS3 outside of the Vita (and that deservedly became one of its downfalls). I wouldn’t really say they jump on every possibilty.

They have used non-proprietary storage for Playstation consoles since the PS3 outside of the Vita (and that deservedly became one of its downfalls). I wouldn’t really say they jump on every possibilty.

There is no way Sony is going to Macronix or SanDisk for NAND flash memory cards or support removable storage after vita. It's DOA if so

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
no to cloud!!!
Womens March Feminism GIF by Laura Salaberry

Imtjnotu

No proprietary storage. Thdt shit never works or benefits anyone.

Shove a 1tb nvme drive in it and leave it at that.

Imtjnotu

Bruh... The highest Steam deck doesn't even have 1tb.
Then go the sd card route and get stuck with pirating games. You either smash down the pirates or you allow them to run your handheld. Switch pirating is off the chart lol

1tb nvme can be had for less than a hundred bucks on gen4 speeds.

Last edited:

GHound

This thing needs to hurry up and drop so it can hurry up and flop. I've already grown tired of this cloud handheld arc in the PlayStation saga and it hasn't even begun.

Woopah

What do you mean by "lowers the cost of hardware"? Pretty sure a PS5 + Q Lite will cost a lot more than a Vita.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This could also be circumvented by cloud streaming on your phone or dedicated native handheld device (like you could on Vita). Or just using standard SD cards. There was a Samsung 256gb card for £15 delivered this week.

Woopah

Whether it's local streaming or capable of PS+ Premium isn't confirmed. You won't need a PS5 for the latter.
Tom Henderson who first talked about the device wrote:

Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5 –

Woopah

I trust Tom is probably right on this even if it isn't confirmed but the OP is assuming Cloud and remote play in the previous sentence and thread title.
Yes I think there is some confusion over what this device is. Its a PS5 accessory like PSVR2, not a standalone thing.

Of course all of this is yet to be confirmed.

UnNamed

Banned
Having dedicated games ? Definitely a flaw to take care of.
Yeah, this is an even bigger problem.

Vita failed for the lack of dedicated games because produce games exclusively for Vita was too much effort and costs. In the end Vita had a lineup of particular games like graphics novel, lewd games and some hidden gem from minor developers, but it was just a niche. Switch succeeded where Vita failed because developers just have to make a game for a single platform.

Top Bottom