• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that Sony should make a proper handheld instead of screwing around with this glorified remote play accessory?

Should they make a full-fledged handheld?

• Yeah

Votes: 93 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 129 51.0%
  • Idk, but I would sure go for some cocoa puffs right about now

Votes: 31 12.3%

• Total voters

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One console...one portable/handheld? 🤔

Wasn't the question about supporting a home console and a separate HD handheld simultaneously? That's not what the Switch is, it's just one console that can be used either docked or handheld. It runs the same games in both modes, with just some differences in resolution and such. And the only reason it can do that is because as a home console it was very weak already at launch. A Sony handheld could never run PS5 games, it would need separate games built for it.

Gambit2483

Wasn't the question about supporting a home console and a separate HD handheld simultaneously? That's not what the Switch is, it's just one console that can be used either docked or handheld. It runs the same games in both modes, with just some differences in resolution and such. And the only reason it can do that is because as a home console it was very weak already at launch. A Sony handheld could never run PS5 games, it would need separate games built for it.
Welcome to the world of Semantics.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Welcome to the world of Semantics.

Definitely not. It's an actual huge difference. The Switch is just one console. The PS5 and some hypothetical Vita 2 or whatever would be two very different consoles (at least in terms of processing power).

So what's a Switch Lite? 🤔😅

Just a Switch that can't be docked, not a separate console that requires separate games to be developed for it.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

XLhukQj.gif
lZYrDbS.gif

Impotaku

They should discontinue PSVR2 and invest in a portable that can play PS5 games at some point in the future. That would rock.
how on earth would they be able to power it? this is the stumbling block thats been the problem since forever. Battery technology is unable to provide that level of power to have something that powerful but with a great battery life. Even now you have to sacrifice battery life for power.

winjer

Gold Member
They could probably do a console with similar specs to the PS5, but on N5 and with fewer CUs.
Could be a great way to play the same games on the go, but at 720p or 900p.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's pretty amusing how so many people ITT are like "Sony can't get away with another handheld unless it's the beefiest handheld ever that can play PS5 games" but at the same time, no one really has a problem with Nintendo coasting on hardware that was way outdated and under-powered when it came out 6 goddamned years ago, lol.

TrebleShot

Remote play device please with haptics OLED screen and comfort 16:9 ratio.

Native play not needed , most people play these devices in their homes.

Third party apps would be incredible too such as moonlight or steam link.

Yoboman

Remote play device please with haptics OLED screen and comfort 16:9 ratio.

Native play not needed , most people play these devices in their homes.

Third party apps would be incredible too such as moonlight or steam link.
Don't expect that to sell much

Baki

Another bad take and a false dichotomy.

Does Sony NEED a handheld? No, but there are certainly people who would like and appreciate one. The PSP sold over 80 million units. When you consider that it didn't really have a great software catalog (in the sense that the individual games sold really well), I think you can make a great argument that a PlayStation handheld would do BETTER with a shared library. The Steam Deck is a model for what Sony could do with a handheld.

People would rather play GT7 on a handheld than a watered-down handheld version of it.

And that isn't to say that you can promote the creation of select individual handheld titles that might perform better on a portable device.

A remote-play device does no one any favors. Remote play in the best of circumstances is barely passable AND it requires you to already own a PS5 or PS4.

I and most people would rather have a device that sports proper backward compatibility, especially with other PSP and Vita titles. Throw in PS1, PS2 for good effect.

I think the biggest problems you have are size and cost. Without dedicated software, you basically need to sell at a profit, but I think that the Switch and Steam Deck have shown that the current desired size is 7 inches. The steam deck is significantly larger than the switch largely due to the track pads. So you could probably find a middle point between them.

The next problem is battery power, but I think if you can hit 2-3 hours on a charge that's been deemed acceptable now.

So if you can put out a PS5 handheld that can do say 1080p on handheld and 1440p docked, I think that would be a win. Sell the dock separately to make up your margin.

The cheapest steam deck sells for 399. The Switch OLED launched for 350 on ancient hardware.

The only question for Sony is could they release maybe three models one that sells for 400-450, 500-550, and 600-650, with the 600/650-dollar model coming with the dock, and the dock priced at 150 separately.

PS represents 1/3 of AMDs revenue (excluding Xilinx). They can get a great deal on the Z1 extreme chipset. They are well positioned to release a PS4 portable (with support for some multiplatform and GAAS games) at $399 and make a small profit and at $499 for a large profit.

Quoting myself on the benefits to their balance sheet and why they may pursue this strategy.
I think not needing to be a mass market success to be a good profit driver is what changes the game here. Vita at 17M units was a failure. PS deck at 17M units would be a wild financial success. At $100-200 profit per unit, they'd be making $1.7-$3.4B profit. To put that into context, that would be equivalent to 1-1.5 years profit for the entire PlayStation division.

Here is what the finances would look like based on a projection of 5M HW units a year and 20M SW units a year:
  • $3.55B revenue for HW+SW (13% increase in revenue for PlayStation division)
  • $750M Profit from HW (28% increase in yearly profit for PlayStation division)
  • $600M Profit from SW (22% increase in profits for PlayStation division)

With Sony's economies of scale when it comes to their internal hard drives, they could probably sell a "Sony Deck" at a better margin than Valve does a Steam Deck.

Similar with the economies of scale for the AMD SOC.

Sony is actually ideally suited to come out with their own Steam Deck, much more so than say Valve.

In fact, you could argue that a Sony Steam Deck might be a massive boon for it in Japan.

I agree. I think Sony can launch a portable at $399 and even make a small profit on the device. It could be a very low-risk bet for Sony.

CamHostage

It's pretty amusing how so many people ITT are like "Sony can't get away with another handheld unless it's the beefiest handheld ever that can play PS5 games" but at the same time, no one really has a problem with Nintendo coasting on hardware that was way outdated and under-powered when it came out 6 goddamned years ago, lol.

It's not a matter of render quality, it's a matter of what games it can run.

Nintendo makes Switch games; Sony makes PS5/4 games (and eventually will only make PS5 games. ) Switch games are made for low spec output on a portable/console hybrid device, which is based in a mobile chipset. PS games are made for high spec output on a console device based on PC hardware.

It is possible these days to shrink PC hardware down enough to small portable form factor, but you still have high battery draw and minimized performance range. As much of a breakthrough as Steam Deck made in power levels, it runs UE5 demos at 10-20 FPS even with settings adjustments. That wouldn't cut it for a "Portable PS5", even if all the other issues of trying to condense a PS5 chipset into a handheld could work out.

Mr.Phoenix

They could probably do a console with similar specs to the PS5, but on N5 and with fewer CUs.
Could be a great way to play the same games on the go, but at 720p or 900p.
No, they can't.

Steamdeck has a 4c/8 thread CPU + 8CU GPU. Cost as much as a PS5.
ROG Ally CPU 6c/12t + 12CU GPU... cost almost as much as 2 PS5s in its base spec.

Those things are in the PS4 power ballpark (not PS5) and look at how much they cost. By the time you can make handheld that won't go through its battery in 10mins that is as powerful as the PS5, the PS7 would be on the market.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Device optimized for remote play in the house is a huge selling point. If they hit the mark it’s going to be a thing, it’s how most switch users play their console. Inside the home, handheld mode.

Yes, but I don't want a separate platform (ecosystem) like other handhelds in the past.

I want Playstation to embrace the PC handheld, a custom Linux-based hardware (like Steam Deck) that could play PC games, including the PlayStation library of games on PC.
this makes no sense for Sony. What would be the purpose of this? A steamdeck direct competitor?

A portable energy efficient PS4 hardware would be the way to go. That would be the easiest test of the market.

Only reason why Sony wouldn’t want to do it is because, they might competing with themselves. Unless they completely left the backlog of PS4 games and third party carrying the system. Then third parties might not like purchases transferring without repayment.

Lasha

Graphics are all people care about. Can't enjoy a game until DF adds it's seal of approval. I would buy a less powerful Sony handheld. My PSP and vita saw way more play than my PS3/PS4.

CamHostage

A portable energy efficient PS4 hardware would be the way to go. That would be the easiest test of the market.

A platform which cannot participate in the stream of product releases has by definition a limited future.

Sure, there are a lot of PS4 games to go back to, and cross-gen could last a bit longer, but PS4 game development is winding down one way or another. New games on the full feature set of UE5 will not come down to PS4, and even new stuff like Horizon FW Burning Shores is skipping the old platform.

(Its not even just about power levels; Horizon FW apparently sold just 30% of its copies on PS4, so it didn't make sense to port down the DLC even if it wasn't so advanced; some games are skipping PS4/X1 even though they have a Switch version planned. The consumer base is putting those old consoles in the closet, even people who haven't bought a PS5.)

If Sony could go further back with a retro portable of PS1/PS2 etc, that might click because the market would be ready for a recycling, but selling old PS4 games in the PS5 era is tough to work out.

Last edited:

PS represents 1/3 of AMDs revenue (excluding Xilinx). They can get a great deal on the Z1 extreme chipset. They are well positioned to release a PS4 portable (with support for some multiplatform and GAAS games) at $399 and make a small profit and at $499 for a large profit.

Quoting myself on the benefits to their balance sheet and why they may pursue this strategy.

I agree. I think Sony can launch a portable at $399 and even make a small profit on the device. It could be a very low-risk bet for Sony.

I'd love it to be the Z1 Extreme, but I think that's just too much money. I also think it's probably overkill. I think the Z1 will get what they need out of it in order for it to be a portable PS5 with some resolution and maybe slight framerate reduction.

If they can make available a dock that fully restores functionality to a full PS5, you have a winner, even if that dock is primo $$$.

I think 399 would be difficult for that to be a profitable machine. You look at the Asus ROG Ally and it is priced at 700 though they can't subsidize or do economies of scale. There are also a few features in there that I don't think we'll need and I'm guessing putting windows on this is costing them too. Maybe Sony could do the exact same spec for 550 or 600?

No, they can't.

Steamdeck has a 4c/8 thread CPU + 8CU GPU. Cost as much as a PS5.
ROG Ally CPU 6c/12t + 12CU GPU... cost almost as much as 2 PS5s in its base spec.

Those things are in the PS4 power ballpark (not PS5) and look at how much they cost. By the time you can make handheld that won't go through its battery in 10mins that is as powerful as the PS5, the PS7 would be on the market.

I mean the rumored US price for the Rog Ally is 599 for the Z1 and 699 for the Z1 Extreme.

If Sony could put together a Z1 extreme for 600 dollars (Asus doesn't make money off of software, nor will they sell as many units as sony, so sony can get a break on some economies of scale).

If they can put out a 600 dollar z1 extreme device, that would definitely be capable of doing PS5 games on a 7 to 8 inch screen.

They could also do a cheaper z1 device that has reduced resolution and frame rate.

You add a hub you can buy separately and even by the time the Switch 2 releases you're probably not too off in price plus the PS5P would have a much larger library of games than the Switch 2 at that point.

A platform which cannot participate in the stream of product releases has by definition a limited future.

Sure, there are a lot of PS4 games to go back to, and cross-gen could last a bit longer, but PS4 game development is winding down one way or another. New games on the full feature set of UE5 will not come down to PS4, and even new stuff like Horizon FW Burning Shores is skipping the old platform.

(Its not even just about power levels; Horizon FW apparently sold just 30% of its copies on PS4, so it didn't make sense to port down the DLC even if it wasn't so advanced; some games are skipping PS4/X1 even though they have a Switch version planned. The consumer base is putting those old consoles in the closet, even people who haven't bought a PS5.)

If Sony could go further back with a retro portable of PS1/PS2 etc, that might click because the market would be ready for a recycling, but selling old PS4 games in the PS5 era is tough to work out.

It would just prolong cross-gen for the duration of the generation.

After the Vita why would they do a retro PS1/PS2? Seems like that would be moving in the wrong direction. Don't think there is any real value in going backwards unless thing was like 50 bucks.

Baki

I'd love it to be the Z1 Extreme, but I think that's just too much money. I also think it's probably overkill. I think the Z1 will get what they need out of it in order for it to be a portable PS5 with some resolution and maybe slight framerate reduction.

If they can make available a dock that fully restores functionality to a full PS5, you have a winner, even if that dock is primo $$$.

I think 399 would be difficult for that to be a profitable machine. You look at the Asus ROG Ally and it is priced at 700 though they can't subsidize or do economies of scale. There are also a few features in there that I don't think we'll need and I'm guessing putting windows on this is costing them too. Maybe Sony could do the exact same spec for 550 or 600?

ASUS is likely aiming for a $200+ margin that can be shared between retail and ASUS. I do think the Z1 extreme is not necessary for a PS4 Portable, but Sony certainly has significant scale and supply chain advantages over ASUS. Sony aren't paying a MS OEM license, they are doing 25M+ APUs with AMD in a year, they can produce their own LCD/OLED displays and they have a direct retail channel and accessories/store-front that can be used to reduce the cut that retail takes on the device. I would not be surprised if they could make a Z1 extreme portable break-even at $399.

I mean the rumored US price for the Rog Ally is 599 for the Z1 and 699 for the Z1 Extreme.

If Sony could put together a Z1 extreme for 600 dollars (Asus doesn't make money off of software, nor will they sell as many units as sony, so sony can get a break on some economies of scale).

If they can put out a 600 dollar z1 extreme device, that would definitely be capable of doing PS5 games on a 7 to 8 inch screen.

They could also do a cheaper z1 device that has reduced resolution and frame rate.

You add a hub you can buy separately and even by the time the Switch 2 releases you're probably not too off in price plus the PS5P would have a much larger library of games than the Switch 2 at that point.

Z1 extreme can't do PS5 games as those games will need to be ported over. I don't think Sony wants to create a Series S situation with the PS5. I think many games would come to the portable, but it wouldn't be a mandate or expectation.

Perrott

Gold Member
Only if its some sort of retro device for playing a curated library spanning the PS1, PS2 and PS3 eras, with minor technical and quality of life enhancements.

A dedicated handheld device with its own library and exclusive titles, basically a Vita 2? Nah.

ASUS is likely aiming for a $200+ margin that can be shared between retail and ASUS. I do think the Z1 extreme is not necessary for a PS4 Portable, but Sony certainly has significant scale and supply chain advantages over ASUS. Sony aren't paying a MS OEM license, they are doing 25M+ APUs with AMD in a year, they can produce their own LCD/OLED displays and they have a direct retail channel and accessories/store-front that can be used to reduce the cut that retail takes on the device. I would not be surprised if they could make a Z1 extreme portable break-even at $399.

Z1 extreme can't do PS5 games as those games will need to be ported over. I don't think Sony wants to create a Series S situation with the PS5. I think many games would come to the portable, but it wouldn't be a mandate or expectation.

The Steam Deck can nearly do as well as the XSS. It is 3.3 tflops. vs the Xbox series S which is 4 tflops.

The Z1 extreme does 8.1 tflops and is more powerful than the XSS by two fold driving a 7 or 8 inch (as rumored screen). The PS5 is 10.3 tflops.

I think the Z1 extreme could do PS5 games with little reduction in quality and without having to port it, maybe with slight optimization of resolution and framerates i.e. running at 1080p instead of 4K.

Even at 200 dollar margin, that would put the rumored price at $500 without margin.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

That still spits the PS5 platform, you are basically creating an even worse situation than the XBSS and XBSX. The Z1 cannot do PS5... not without some very heavy compromises.

Again,it would be stupid for sony to make anything that will spit resources and/or focus even more than they already have done thanks to PSVR2. So their best bet would be something akin to what you are suggesting, a device that basically is just a PS5 portable... but such a device or such hardware doesn't exist in a way that won't compromise the PS5 even more than the series S compromises the XBSX.

And maybe its this forum, or the kinda circles people that come on forums like these keep, but the steamdeck isn't this bastion of possibility that everyone on here or the likes of us seems to think it is. It's doing great for an individual one-off product, and in the cutthroat PC world, it's enough to spurn imitators, but let's not forget that the thing only managed under 2M in global sales so far.

The Steam Deck can nearly do as well as the XSS. It is 3.3 tflops. vs the Xbox series S which is 4 tflops.

The Z1 extreme does 8.1 tflops and is more powerful than the XSS by two fold driving a 7 or 8 inch (as rumored screen). The PS5 is 10.3 tflops.

I think the Z1 extreme could do PS5 games with little reduction in quality and without having to port it, maybe with slight optimization of resolution and framerates i.e. running at 1080p instead of 4K.

Even at 200 dollar margin, that would put the rumored price at $500 without margin.
I don't know why people keep doing this, it happens when comparing the switch specs too (hell I used to be guilty of it once too)... the steam deck is not a 3TF`ish machine.. it's a 1.5TF`ish machine.

Last edited:
That still spits the PS5 platform, you are basically creating an even worse situation than the XBSS and XBSX. The Z1 cannot do PS5... not without some very heavy compromises.

Again,it would be stupid for sony to make anything that will spit resources and/or focus even more than they already have done thanks to PSVR2. So their best bet would be something akin to what you are suggesting, a device that basically is just a PS5 portable... but such a device or such hardware doesn't exist in a way that won't compromise the PS5 even more than the series S compromises the XBSX.

And maybe its this forum, or the kinda circles people that come on forums like these keep, but the steamdeck isn't this bastion of possibility that everyone on here or the likes of us seems to think it is. It's doing great for an individual one-off product, and in the cutthroat PC world, it's enough to spurn imitators, but let's not forget that the thing only managed under 2M in global sales so far.

What's better to split the platform with two home consoles or to split it with a handheld and a home console?

At 8.1 tflops plus boost mode, I'm pretty confident that the Z1 extreme can do most PS5 games on an 8 inch screen (6-7 would have been better) without much compromise. The XSS can run XSX games when the XSX is 12.1 tflops versus the XSS which is 4 tflops...

The Z1 Extreme handheld would be far closer to 1:1 with the PS5 than the XSS is with the XSX.

So again, not sure what focus it's split here when you could probably run natively every PS5 game at 1080p without making any other changes.

The Steam Deck doesn't have the marketing power of Sony. Look at the lack of success of the Steam Machine, does that mean the PS5 would be a failure? The fact is there is little driving power behind the Steam Deck.

Mr.Phoenix

What's better to split the platform with two home consoles or to split it with a handheld and a home console?

At 8.1 tflops plus boost mode, I'm pretty confident that the Z1 extreme can do most PS5 games on an 8 inch screen (6-7 would have been better) without much compromise. The XSS can run XSX games when the XSX is 12.1 tflops versus the XSS which is 4 tflops...

The Z1 Extreme handheld would be far closer to 1:1 with the PS5 than the XSS is with the XSX.

So again, not sure what focus it's split here when you could probably run natively every PS5 game at 1080p without making any other changes.

The Steam Deck doesn't have the marketing power of Sony. Look at the lack of success of the Steam Machine, does that mean the PS5 would be a failure? The fact is there is little driving power behind the Steam Deck.
Ok.. where is this 8TF Z1 Extreme coming from?

The Z1 extreme has a GPU with 12 compute units.... 12!!!! max power envelope of 30W... that's including the CPU and GPU.

For it to be an actual 8TF (FP32) GPU, it would need to be clocked to 5.5GHz or so, that's the GPU. People need to stop using FP16 to measure these portable chips, its causes confusion and lead to things like these where people think that a 30W chip can perform similarly to a 200W+ desktop chip. When we talk specs...10TF, 12TF its Single precision instruction sets (FP32) we are talking about not Half precision (FP16)

Last edited:
Ok.. where is this 8TF Z1 Extreme coming from?

The Z1 extreme has a GPU with 12 compute units.... 12!!!! max power envelope of 30W... that's including the CPU and GPU.

For it to be an actual 8TF (FP32) GPU, it would need to be clocked to 5.5GHz or so, that's the GPU. People need to stop using FP16 to measure these portable chips, its causes confusion and lead to things like these where people think that a 30W chip can perform similarly to a 200W+ desktop chip. When we talk specs...10TF, 12TF its Single precision instruction sets (FP32) we are talking about not Half precision (FP16)

9yFCiULJErYGKpjXLAXd4R-1200-80.jpg.webp

Baki

And maybe its this forum, or the kinda circles people that come on forums like these keep, but the steamdeck isn't this bastion of possibility that everyone on here or the likes of us seems to think it is. It's doing great for an individual one-off product, dnA3and in the cutthroat PC world, it's enough to spurn imitators, but let's not forget that the thing only managed under 2M in global sales so far.

I don't know why people keep doing this, it happens when comparing the switch specs too (hell I used to be guilty of it once too)... the steam deck is not a 3TF`ish machine.. it's a 1.5TF`ish machine.

Steam Deck is 1.6TF. The Z1 extreme is 4 RDNA2 tflops or 8 RDNA3 tflops.

Mr.Phoenix

Why RDNA3 is half RDNA2?
it is not. There is no such thing as RDNA2 or RDNA3 teraflops. A teraflop is a teraflop and only differs in precision, half, single, or double.

Singe precision (FP32) is what we have been using to measure GPU performance forever. When we say the PS5 has 10.2TF, that's single precision. Same for the series X12TF or the XSS 4TF... or the PS4 1.8TF...etc.

How you calculate single precision TF for AMD GPUs is CU number x 128 x GPU clock.

That gives you an FP32 TF number, you multiply that by 2 to get an FP16 TF number.

Mr.Phoenix

RNDA3 is 50% greater performance per watt than RDNA2.
Jesus Christ... You really don't know what that means do you?

Ok.. ok at this... just go to desktop GPUs, go all the way down to RX 7000 series (uses RDNA3) and compare that to RX 6000 series (uses RDNA2)... after that you can also checkout console GPUs a little further down.

Hope that helps.

Jesus Christ... You really don't know what that means do you?

Ok.. ok at this... just go to desktop GPUs, go all the way down to RX 7000 series (uses RDNA3) and compare that to RX 6000 series (uses RDNA2)... after that you can also checkout console GPUs a little further down.

Hope that helps.

Please, just look at the link I sent you, it wud help you understand how these things actually work and give you a better grasp of what really is possible and what isn't.
LOL, how about you watch the video I sent you and see real world simulation of what this performance would look like.

He's able to run Red Dead and Cyberpunk at 1080p low settings without FSR above 60 fps.

With 720p and FSR, you'll be able to play ps5 games at decent framerates and it'll look fine on a 7 or 8 inch screen.

Mr.Phoenix

LOL, how about you watch the video I sent you and see real world simulation of what this performance would look like.

He's able to run Red Dead and Cyberpunk at 1080p low settings without FSR above 60 fps.

With 720p and FSR, you'll be able to play ps5 games at decent framerates and it'll look fine on a 7 or 8 inch screen.
Watched before... and I could explain to you what is happening there...but no point. Since you are refusing to learn, and I am actually being nice.

let me give you a hint though....

Z1 Extreme has a GPU clock of 2.1Ghz peak. That means it has a GPU peak of 3.2TF. That's about twice as powerful as a PS4. Not as powerful as a PS4pro.... and of course it can run games at 1080p at settings lower than what you would use in a PS4 at above 60fps. And let's not forget it has a better CPU than what was in a PS4. This is running the chip at peak performance... 30 watts, you will be lucky if you get 90mins of battery life off that.

I could say more, but pls, try and educate yourself... would save people like me a lot of trouble.
And that bolded part?....sigh..ok. I give up.

Last edited:
Watched before... and I could explain to you what is happening there...but no point. Since you are refusing to earn, and I am actually bing nice.

let me give you a hint though....

Z1 Extermhas a GPU cocko2.1Ghz peak. That means it has a GPU peak of 3.2TF. That's about twice as powerful as a PS4. Not as powerful as a PS4pro.... and of course it can run games at 1080p at settings lower than what you would use in a PS4 at above 60fps. And lets not forget it has a better CPU than what was in a PS4. This is running the chip at peak performance... 30 watts, you will be lucky if you get 90mins of battery life off that.

I could say more, but ps, try and educate yourself... would save people like me a lot of trouble.
Are you using speech to type?

Mr.Phoenix

Are you using speech to type?
Nope... using a wireless keyboard from about and my PC is about 20ft away. Some times connection cuts out and stuff doesn't get typed, especially when I am typing too fast... most times I go over my post and correct whatever gets missing. At times I forget to. Sorry.

Top Bottom