• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Load outs also include armor abilities. Will those be pickups? Serious question here. Not trying to be snarky.

Armor Abilities will probably not be pickups.

That new weapon look badass.

As for Spartan Ops, the first "season" will surely be finished prior to launch, regardless of the possibility of some of it not being on disc. With "several months" to the first season, they have plenty of time to create a new season in that time. As with all first wave DLC, I'm sure production will start a couple of months before the game comes out, CGI is probably outsourced. The second "season" of Spartan Ops is paid DLC, and it comes out hopefully shortly after the first season ends.

My money is on a nuclear powered weapon (atomic nuclear establishment) or area weapons effect, meaning it will have splash damage. Can I kill all of you with it if I'm right? Edit: or advanced warfighter experiment.

GhaleonEB

Frankie has hinted a few times that humans have had access to Covenant tech for some time now, but the only thing we've really adapted from it is the recharging shield system (from the perspective of the games). It's been a while but I'm sure he's mentioned in interviews a that the UNSC has surely been working on incorporating Covenant weapon tech after all these years of war - and especially now that they've struck tentative peace with some of them.

Thinking back to that hint, I think it might be the first UNSC energy-based weapon (the laser aside). The split barrel reminds me a bit of the way the Covenant plasma weapons generate their energy bolts between the prongs of those guns.

It could be a medium to long-range, non-precision rifle that fires energy bolts more accurately than say, a plasma rifle. Great for shield stripping at range, but harder to finish up as plasma weapons tend to be less effective once shields are stripped.

TheOddOne

It looks a lot like the Railguns from Metal Gear Solid. There's artists from Kojima Productions at 343 right?
Yeah, just noticed it too.

mgs2_fortune.jpg

Arnie

So we've been expanding Covenant technology into our arsenal and a cache of the prototypes were locked away on the Forward Unto Dawn, or perhaps the UNSC Infinity. And that's the result. Either way, even if it's not related to any Covenant technology, the weapon looks slick.

Awesome.

Frankie has hinted a few times that humans have had access to Covenant tech for some time now, but the only thing we've really adapted from it is the recharging shield system (from the perspective of the games). It's been a while but I'm sure he's mentioned in interviews a that the UNSC has surely been working on incorporating Covenant weapon tech after all these years of war - and especially now that they've struck tentative peace with some of them.

Thinking back to that hint, I think it might be the first UNSC energy-based weapon (the laser aside). The split barrel reminds me a bit of the way the Covenant plasma weapons generate their energy bolts between the prongs of the gun.

It could be a medium to long-range, non-precision rifle that fires energy bolts more accurately than say, a plasma rifle. Great for shield stripping at range, but harder to finish up as plasma weapons tend to be less effective once shields are stripped.

Thats what I'm thinking, in that case Area Weapon Effect would probably be most fitting; maybe it shoots pretty slow but has some splash damage...brute shot replacement?

GhaleonEB

There are things that should never be seen
motherfucker
. That was one of them.

Save yourselves, people.

A few years ago, when Iowa won the Orange Bowl, I googled for highlights. Only I googled for 'orange bowel highlights' by accident.

That was one of the most consequential typos of my life.

Thats what I'm thinking, in that case Area Weapon Effect would probably be most fitting; maybe it shoots pretty slow but has some splash damage...brute shot replacement?

I was thinking more along the lines of a long range plasma rifle.

Hey You

Maybe 343 has cooked up some in-game or waypoint download feature? Sorta similar to how you can download files from the web to your xbox.

*shrugs*

I don't know anything about that stuff, just a shot in the dark.

I thought they were incorporating forerunner stuff into all the human equipment. Could be covenant but I'm getting a more forerunner-ish vibe from the weapon.

WJD

Actually there's a couple of bits of concept art in here that I've never seen before. One shows some kind of human interior with a big alien-like object in the middle of it; I'm guessing it's there to be studied or something.

There's also a top-down view of "Warhouse" and a picture of Chief struggling with an Elite which I haven't seen either

So we've been expanding Covenant technology into our arsenal and a cache of the prototypes were locked away on the Forward Unto Dawn, or perhaps the UNSC Infinity. And that's the result. Either way, even if it's not related to any Covenant technology, the weapon looks slick.

Awesome.
Indeed. It's the best designed weapon I've seen from 343. Why aren't they all like that?
legendarydi.jpg

[source]
L3G3ND4RY
3 3 4

Don't think this has been posted here yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d921M-ACMM4#t=02m14s

It does have a long body, but there's no scope. But yea, still could be longer range than the plasma rifle in previous games.

A lot of Halo weapons over the game that you can scope in with actually don't have a scope on them (hai pistol).

I think that's the best guess I've seen so far, especially if that weapon is the "Assault Carbine". When I heard its description in the podcast, I immediately though of the Plasma Rifle/Repeater ("a shield stripper, but not a finisher"), and now the Assault Carbine is supposed to pack more punch than that.

Is Assault Carbine one they said they've already changed the name on? I can't remember.

Weapon idea:
A headshot-capable Sentinel Beam.

Hold trigger: Steady beam. Starts out weak but does more damage as you hold the trigger and the gun heats up.
Tap trigger: Brief beam. Not much damage, but capable of getting headshot kills.

You hold the trigger, keeping the beam on your enemy until his shield pops. Then you release and start tapping the trigger for a headshot kill. You could keep holding the trigger but using the steady beam to eat away health takes longer.

If you try using it like a BR/Carbine and just tap the trigger you won't do much shield damage - short bursts won't increase the heat output enough to be effective.
-------
Basically, what if the first bullet in every AR burst was allowed to get headshots? This would work sorta like that.

A few years ago, when Iowa won the Orange Bowl, I googled for highlights. Only I googled for 'orange bowel highlights' by accident.

I'm sorry. Truly, I am. I've somehow managed to not see a lot of infamous internet horrors, and I take a certain amount of pride in that. Not gonna trust Elzar for quite some time, lol.

legendarydi.jpg

[source]
L3G3ND4RY
3 3 4

Don't think this has been posted here yet.
Reminds me of the badges you earn in Gears3

Woorloog

Banned
A lot of Halo weapons over the game that you can scope in with actually don't have a scope on them (hai pistol).

Certain M6 models do have a scope mounted, um, integrated on them. M6D, from Halo CE for example. The knob on top of the barrel is the scope. Well, a camera that is smart-linked directly to the users HUD.
All UNSC scoped weapons we've gotten to use have scopes that can transmit the image directly to the users HUD, and in-case of Spartans and ODSTs (at least), their systems can link with Covenant weapons as well.
Odd how UNSC and Covenant systems mirror each other despite them being so different in many ways.

Shadders

Humans haven't just adopted Covvie tech, in Glasslands
humans have adopted Forerunner tech from Onyx, the UNSC Infinity is in fact built to take advantage of all the Forerunner tech we've acquired.

Karl2177

Which reminds me of the time I trusted someone to make me some tequila sunrises, and they didn't add the grenadine. So it was just orange and tequila. And I had 6 shots of it. The next morning was some 'orange bowel highlights'.

As for the new gun, the way the barrel splits at the end makes me think it is a plasma weapon.

One of the reasons I could never really get into the more recent COD games is that they seem to have just stagnated with their weapon sound design (amongst other things), there is just no "oomph" to any of the weapons. Compared to the likes of Battlefield 3, COD weapons sound like you're running around with bb guns.

This is something you notice instantly when going back to Halo 3 . The AR sounds downright embarrassing in retrospect. How game companies can't get a weapon sound right, I don't know. I trust 343 based on the CEA weapon audio.

Conan is awesome and I really relate to his sense of humor. I like Stephen Colbert as well, but to say Conan isn't funny seems off base. He wrote for Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons. The guy is a genius. Although, I know everyone has a different sense of humor, and that's a big part of it.

I found the first half pretty funny but the incessant, sledgehammer of a laughter track every 2.9 seconds drowned it out a bit.

Top Bottom