• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of Batman Video Games

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Adventures_of_Batman_and_Robin_SNES.jpg

563517_29068_front.jpg

So good.

There was a time during the 90's when everybody was begging for this to leave Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St_C_m4BUus

Huh? How long did it take to reach other shores, exactly? This hit the US not so long after release in Japan. Okay 16-bit computer/Amiga/ST-ish simple side scroll game, but the music is quite fucking awesome.

Rocksteady's Batman is definitely the cream of the crop, but I kinda really liked the novelty and sheen of the arcade-like scaling/rotating sprites of the SCD/MCD flying/driving stages as well as the really good and Elfman-like Spencer Nilsen tracks. Too bad the rest was the lame Genny/MD cartridge game. Also, NES Sunsoft Batman was obviously an awesome NG-like action game with a killer soundtrack. Never much cared for any other Batman games outside of the usual picks (SNES BR, SNES and Gen Adventures of B&R).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Batman: The movie on Amiga is the only one I've played. Loved the Chase HQ style driving sections and turning sharp corners using a cable fired at lamp posts.

Footos22

I loved Batman returns on the megadrive.

That was also hard as shit. REALLY HARD

Never finished it. Furthest i got was to Penguins Duck boat thing and lost my last life lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Huh? How long did it take to reach other shores, exactly? This hit the US not so long after release in Japan.

Well the wiki says they were released one month apart from each other, but my memory and gut are saying it took about a year between releases. I remember there being some controversy about third party contracts preventing the game from coming over. Eventually solved, of course. And as all that was going on EGM was pimping the game like crazy in their import section.

Edit: Yeah I'm thinking the Japanese version actually released in 1989.

Turlast

Banned
is everyone here trying to act like this didn't exist? Because it did.......be honest...who played it?

I did. Honestly, Batman and Robin was one of my most anticipated games at one point. The main part I was excited about was the fact that you could freely roam around. I never really experienced the full game, since my excitement wasn't nearly as strong after giving it a try, for some reason.

My favorites are the Adventures of Batman and Robin for Sega, Batman for nes, and Batman Returns for Sega. Unfortunately I never had a chance to play many of the other titles released back then. At one point, I considered Batman Forever one of my favorites, but I was like 7 or 8 and didn't think too much back then....

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The early Batman games before the NES version hit were classics in their own right. The licensed version of the first movie on Amiga was top class back in the day.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Only one of these games is great. I'll give you a clue: it is the one that plays nothing like the others it is the one "made in Japan". lol

No way dude, didn't you get the menu? Everything made in Japan is crap! :p

Sunsoft's NES Batman is still my favorite, hell that level 1 music is just god-tier. Arkham Asylum wasn't bad though, just felt way too "safe", i.e. like the Uncharted series... mechanically, nothing really stands out and makes the game compelling for anything more than a single playthrough. Haven't played City yet.

mclem

He slags off the classic isometric Batman from the Spectrum/C64 days. Instant fail.

Dead to me. Dead. To. Me.

Heck, it's the first outing of the Ritman/Drummond pairing that went on to make Head over Heels and (much later) Monster Max! It's a *great* game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was the lead tester on one of Acclaim's Batman games. Thanks for reminding me, gaming age!

Acclaim used to be HQed reasonably close to where I live; when my friends and I were little our dream job was to work as Acclaim game testers (even though we knew back then that Acclaim games were usually shitty, 'playing games all day' still seemed like the best job in the world) :p

90sRobots

Digitized 16-bit images are still very charming. It's such a nice reward when you complete a level in any of the Super Star Wars games.

LQX

I have played many of the Batman games. I still remember as kid I had friend who had a import of the NES Batman for some reason. It was gold and had a red attachment.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin to me is the best Batman after the Arkham series. Great fricken game.

drspeedy

No love for Return Of The Joker GB?
9iaxt.jpg

I still hold a grudge against the Joker fight on hard. Me and my friends never beat it.

Played this for years (years!!!) and never beat it. Game was brutal near the end... so many good memories on my Gameboy.

from the 'funny pics' thread, but this was essentially my childhood, save the game purse:

off topic, but enjoy anyway!

Lol, yep, my thoughts 10 seconds in.

It's really not that hard to get a complete list of games released nowdays, and yet this 'history' misses many and combines completely different games as one (Revenge/Return of the Joker etc).
Good, so I'm not the only one thinking this.

I mean, seriously, Batman Returns was at LEAST four different games (NES is completely different from SNES, which is completely different from Genesis, which was enhanced with driving stages for Sega CD; I have no experience with the GG/Lynx/PC versions), and he just slaps them all under one header. That's not at all doing justice to how varied the whole Batman gaming line gets.

Ahasverus

Come on noone played the Animated series game on SNES? Best batman game until Asylum. Loved the kinda metroid formula (Just like Asylum).Also Graphics were perfect.

Ultratech

I loved Batman returns on the megadrive.

That was also hard as shit. REALLY HARD

Never finished it. Furthest i got was to Penguins Duck boat thing and lost my last life lol

Yeah, I still have it someplace. Was pretty hard back in the day.
I got to the last boss and didn't realize I had to beat the generator thing.
Didn't wanna play through the game again after all that. :(

Also had Batman Forever for Genesis. It was kinda...weird.

blind51de

Banned
Hardly complete, or an outline.
This guy should actually play some of these games.
He's just some blogger, he can still say "I pirated the hell out of all these Batman games, here's what I think about each" and get much more traffic for it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Batman-label.jpg

Batman_Arkham_Asylum_Videogame_Cover.jpg

ArkhamCity.jpg

all one needs to know

10/10

Kind of true. Though I wasn't nearly as big on Arkham City as I was Asylum. Actually that game was one of my biggest disappointments last year, but much of it being personal nitpicks.

I would add Adventures of Batman and Robin on SNES as well. Loved that one. The Genesis version was ok, amazing tech for the time, but not really a great Contra clone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Havent played any of the old Batman games, but i enjoyed watching the AVGN playing through those. Batman Forever looked so bad. :lol

MC Safety

Was it Batman Forever? We need anecdotes.

That's the one. Thankfully, years of repression therapy have removed most of the memories, but I remember the testers making a gameplay tape (For promotional purposes? We never figured it out.) and gleefully entering their "names" after every death as "Dont," "Play" "This" "[Expletive deleted]," "Game."

Also, Robin could swing vertically on a lamppost and would sometimes get stuck in the spin animation, going around and around until the game was restarted. It happened pretty often, and I don't recall if Acclaim ever fixed it. Sometimes the testers would just get that bug and leave Robin swinging on the pole for hours.

Acclaim used to be HQed reasonably close to where I live; when my friends and I were little our dream job was to work as Acclaim game testers (even though we knew back then that Acclaim games were usually shitty, 'playing games all day' still seemed like the best job in the world) :p

It wasn't a bad job, but testing Mortal Kombat II for Game Boy (not the Game Boy color, mind) every day, eight hours a day, for weeks was not what I call a productive use of anyone's time.

Acclaim gave us free snacks and sodas, and there was free pizza every Friday. Also, testing video games is, ah, not particularly taxing work. They loved me because I wrote up lots of bug reports, and was good about reproducing other people's bugs. When I was promoted, I remained a part-time temp at the same pay rate, but I did get to come in to work and supervise testing sessions on the weekend!

stewy

Only read the first half, but it's a pretty terrible history. Completely skipped the first Game Boy Batman, and somehow lumps together games like the NES and Genesis Batman, multiplatform releases of Batman Returns and Batman & Robin, when almost none of those games were even similar outside of the settings.

90sRobots

That's the one. Thankfully, years of repression therapy have removed most of the memories, but I remember the testers making a gameplay tape (For promotional purposes? We never figured it out.) and gleefully entering their "names" after every death as "Dont," "Play" "This" "[Expletive deleted]," "Game."

Also, Robin could swing vertically on a lamppost and would sometimes get stuck in the spin animation, going around and around until the game was restarted. It happened pretty often, and I don't recall if Acclaim ever fixed it. Sometimes the testers would just get that bug and leave Robin swinging on the pole for hours.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/37368

5:20

RedSwirl

The SNES Adventures of Batman and Robin game deserves a lot more credit. It's only a side scrolling beat em up in the first stage. What made that game special is that every stage was a unique gameplay idea; each one had a different gimmick but it all felt unified.

Plus it had amazing animation, super tight gameplay, and some of the best visuals on the SNES taken as a whole.

IMO it was tied with the famed NES Batman game until the modern Rocksteady franchise.

Definitely. Hell, the Penguin level alone was almost like a puzzle adventure game. In a perfect world that game would be the textbook for how to make a video game based on a TV series.

Top Bottom