• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park new single "Burn it Down"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
There are good portions of the song that sound like rehashed portions of old songs.

I'M OK WITH THIS. Classic Linkin Park is best Linkin Park.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It still has that terrible "new Linkin Park" sound that just sounds messy and unfocused, like it just sounds like nobody's sure of what kind of music they're trying to make. Chester doesn't seem to have improved his ability to stay in tune either, so it sounds super thin and weird whenever he sings since they have to auto-tune him like crazy to just to be in key.

Actually, this sounds more like Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne but with men singing and more electronic stuff.

It's a shame the band collapsed into the pressure to "return to form" instead of continuing the A Thousand Suns type of vibe.

So you listen to Katy Perry. So wrong.

It sucks to be unfamiliar with the radio dial in a new location. Heard her stuff on the radio all the time when I was searching for a decent station.

Sai-kun

Banned
The melody in the beginning actually reminded me of Avril Lavigne's What The Hell :lol Weird!

It's a shame the band collapsed into the pressure to "return to form" instead of continuing the A Thousand Suns type of vibe.

It doesn't seem like they got pressured into doing it. It seems like they actually wanted to go back to Hybrid Theory/Meteora type stuff and still retain a bit of the electronica/glitch vibe of ATS.

i've met chester bennington in real life.

it confuses me so much how their music continues to be so DEEPLY rooted in the kind of angst and half-hearted rebellion of high school when he seemed like a really intelligent and mature guy.

I can't believe people still say this shit after the last two albums. There is nothing angsty and rebellious about songs like Hands Held High, The Catalyst, etc.

This definitely feels like a natural evolution from ATS, I am absolutely loving 'Lies Greed Misery', fun short and energetic. The criticisms LP gets for their old stuff doesn't really apply here, yes it has rap and some screams, but it really feels different..in a good way.

I can't believe people still say this shit after the last two albums. There is nothing angsty and rebellious about songs like Hands Held High, The Catalyst, etc.

Yeah, I don't get it. Ah well.

No, they need to stop existing. They sucked ass over ten years ago when I was in high school, and they suck even more ass today.

I never understood people dropping into threads just to spew their hatred. It sparks no meaningful conversation and offers no real criticisms, just stupidity.

Yeah, I mean, what the hell right?

Giving any reasons for why they do not like or hate LP would be better than just hating on the band or just saying that "they suck".

Yeah, I mean, what the hell right?

Giving any reasons for why they do not like or hate LP would be better than just hating on the band or just saying that "they suck".

Exactly, I mean, I havnt exactly loved LP after Hybrid Theory and Meteora, and even now I dont think those albums hold up. I also think My December is their best track. But I dont come into this thread trashing something people obviously like for no reason.

No, they need to stop existing. They sucked ass over ten years ago when I was in high school, and they suck even more ass today.

Tbh, something like this would be bannable on the gaming side. Its fine to have differing opinions, but to drop in an LP thread in flat out troll the band isn't cool.

Offer something constructive, share your opinions, but find a way that isn't so.. I dunno.

It's shit like this why nobody can or will take you seriously if you admit to liking Linkin Park.

It's really low-intellect wannabe-alternative music for people who are trying to be edgy but don't actually know how to.

Because people who listen to LP want to be "edgy" and not just listen because they enjoy the music right?

And what is "high intellect" alternative music anyway? People like you need to get the fuck off your high horse and realize that yes, people have different standards when it comes to music, but you can't look down on people who like music that you do not hold in high regard.

The Lamp

It's shit like this why nobody can or will take you seriously if you admit to liking Linkin Park.

It's really low-intellect wannabe-alternative music for people who are trying to be edgy but don't actually know how to.

There's a difference between snobbery and stupidity when it comes to comments like these, but boy have you straddled the fence.

And what is "high intellect" alternative music anyway?

See this is really tricky because no matter what I say here someone is going to turn it around and make me look like an ass.
If you want to stick largely to the same genre, I think Thrice are
were :(
doing a good job. But there's so much actually good stuff out there right now, you're really wasting your time listening to Linkin Park rehash tired formulas over and over again with the some mind numbing lyricism.

yes, people have different standards when it comes to music, but you can't look down on people who like music that you do not hold in high regard.

so you admit that you have to have different standards for liking Linkin Park -- in this case, lower?

you can't look down on people who like music that you do not hold in high regard.

that entirely depends. I find that people's taste in music says a whole lot about them.
(if they even care to *have* taste in music.)

See this is really tricky because no matter what I say here someone is going to turn it around and make me look like an ass.
If you want to stick largely to the same genre, I think Thrice are
were :(
doing a good job. But there's so much actually good stuff out there right now, you're really wasting your time listening to Linkin Park rehash tired formulas over and over again with the some mind numbing lyricism.

I like Thrice. I've been listening to them for 5-6 years. I've listened to Illusion of Safety, Artist in the Ambulance, Vheissu (best Thrice album), Alchemy Index 1-4, Beggars, and Major Minor. You have to remember, music is ultimately subjective. Hell, even if I disliked Thrice's music for certain reasons (which I don't), I wouldn't tell people who like thrice that they're wasting their time listening to Thrice's shitty music. If they think it's good then who am I to ridicule them for it?

so you admit that you have to have different standards for liking Linkin Park -- in this case, lower?

Again, everybody has different standards when it comes to music. There's no universal standard that applies to all. If by your standards, LP doesn't make good music, then fine. I have different standards and I don't adhere to anybody else's standards but my own. I didn't like Radiohead's King of Limbs but that's just me.

that entirely depends. I find that people's taste in music says a whole lot about them.
(if they even care to *have* taste in music.)

That's your problem right there.

Once you seriously start judging something as subjective as "Taste In Music", then you are just a miserable human being.

I never claimed otherwise.

But do you not think that people's taste in music says a lot about them? Hell, there's movies/books about this phenomenon. (Hornby's High Fidelity comes to mind).
You don't have to go down the judgemental route like I did.
Anyway, this is getting a tad off-topic.

Hell, even if I disliked Thrice's music for certain reasons (which I don't), I wouldn't tell people who like thrice that they're wasting their time listening to Thrice's shitty music. If they think it's good then who am I to ridicule them for it?

Then you are a bigger man than I.

Vheissu (best Thrice album)

that's your problem right there. ;)

Again, everybody has different standards when it comes to music. There's no universal standard that applies to all. If by your standards, LP doesn't make good music, then fine.

How come we say that about music? Would you be offended if I told you Transformers was gutter trash? Probably not. I mean sure, it was a nice popcorn flick, but it's barely coherent and really, really dumb.
I am the same with Linkin Park. I don't mind listening to their music, but they so clearly have their limitations.

I didn't like Radiohead's King of Limbs but that's just me.

Fuck that album. Kid A for life, yo.

It doesn't seem like they got pressured into doing it. It seems like they actually wanted to go back to Hybrid Theory/Meteora type stuff and still retain a bit of the electronica/glitch vibe of ATS.

The documentary attached to A Thousand Suns showed a lot of pressure from WBR to scrap the album and "return to the roots". The last album was, by far, the most polarized response from fans. Sure, they can say they're comfortable but the interesting song structure, which existed on A Thousand Suns, is non-existent on either of these tracks. Their artistic integrity is slipping with me.

Perkel

Banned
Liked them a lot few years back same as limp bizkit and they gone in same way as lb same as rhcp and many other bands that don't try to change and play same shit.

They need to rest few years and record worthwile material and reorganize band.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Like I said earlier, get more Mike on Linkin park tracks. Their old stuff was fantastic rap/rock hybrid. Their newer stuff has all been ballads mostly. They got famous for rap/rock.

Liked them a lot few years back same as limp bizkit and they gone in same way as lb same as rhcp and many other bands that don't try to change and play same shit.

They need to rest few years and record worthwile material and reorganize band.

IMO they changed too much. They went from a rap/rock group with an industrial sound to a power ballad group with tiny rap verses occasionally.

Zekes!

I just heard this on the radio and I actually didn't hate it. I could do without the lyrics 'cause I kinda liked the instrumental.

So, uh www.myspace.com has this up:

http://www.myspace.com/whats-hot/20...lbum-living-things?pm_cmp=ed_spl_2info_LINKIN

6tsos.png

People got to hear some it before it got taken down. Anyone able to see if its still up?

Despera

Banned
I can relate with mescalineeyes and his obtuse mindset. Reminds me of myself back when I was 16 (or 15, not sure). Don't worry guys, he'll eventually grow out of it.

Anyways, Listened to both "Burn it Down" and "Lies Greed Misery" and I'm not feeling either that much. Like the instrumentals, but the vocals kind of mess things up. Let's see if my opinion changes when I give the rest of the album a listen.

As for LP albums in general, Meteora was great. Breaking The Habit was the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom