• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

Rapstah

Including Doom 1 and 2 is interesting for the PS3 and absolutely uninteresting for the PC and 360 platforms. I wonder how good they can make it look though. The lighting looked amazing in 2004 but that shading could look terrible on upressed textures on up-polygonned models.

Rumours of Doom 4 being cancelled would suggest that this release is to "test the waters" so to speak.

If they are seriously using this as a test they might aswell cancel the game already XD

But maybe is the other way around... To build hype for Doom 4?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DOOM 3 BFG Edition is the ultimate collection of groundbreaking games that defined the first person shooter. It includes DOOM, DOOM 2, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, as well as the 'Lost Mission.' All DOOM 3 content has been re-mastered for PlayStation 3 in stunning 3D for an even more terrifying FPS experience.
BOUGHT!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure how you missed PC.

Anyway, cool. I love me some id, and Doom 3 was good fun. Curious how this'll stack up to modded Doom 3, graphically.

The trailer neglects to mention the PC initially, but a box shot is shown at the end.

clockpunk

Hmmm... assuming its priced sensibly, I'll bite. Never got around to playing Doom 3, so glad to have an easy opportunity to do so at last.

jokkir

DOOM 3 now features the new armour-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time.

Thank god. I only played through half of the game because of this (and my computer reformatting and forgetting to backup my save >__>)

#gamechanger

I agree that DOOM Trilogy would have been a far better name - communicates the content better than DOOM 3 BFG Edition.

For some reason I feel bad that I never played through DOOM 3 on the Xbox, and yet now I'm sort of glad since this will obviously perform a lot better.

I'm gonna assume there's a Doom 4 trailer hidden on the disc for beating every game.

Edit - It's a shame they aren't doing a Wolfenstein rerelease collection for it's anniversary.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
"Armor mounted flashlight" DLC

Fixed?

Anyone want to speculate on if vanilla DOOM and DOOM 2 are being included or are they keyboard + mouse fully 3D versions? I'm not sure I could go back to pseudo-3D, keyboard only...

IronLich

I don't care. DOOM hasn't been on a Playstation console in over 15 years. This is pretty boss on my PS3 end, especially since I never got to play the expansion.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Some observations for people who either haven't played Doom 3 or played the first five minutes because "too dark LOL"

1) Both the game and the expansion are probably about 50% too long for their amount of content, and it really really does feel like a slog.
2) Despite not being cinematic, there are some good set-pieces in both. I definitely liked the unique setpieces more than the labyrinthine wandering through the main complex areas.
3) The weapons feel pretty good, just like old Doom weapons.
4) There are some neat mechanics that were ahead of their time--Doom 3's PDA implementation is probably the first major game since System Shock 2 to do it and well before any of the current-gen stuff.
5) The last boss of the expansion is a royal PITA to beat.
iddqd

jaxword

Looking forward to this, haven't played Doom in years.

Also for some reason this comes up with google image search for Doom remaster so I'm going with it.
tyXSG.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't call what is shown in the video "greatly enhanced graphics". Sure, mapping and textures have been improved from what I can see, but it's nothing revolutionary. Though the game is great in my opinion, so even if it's not up to Crysis standards it could be a nice experience. I don't know if I will buy it however.

It's dull they haven't updated the Cacodemon design. I still find it atrocious, in comparison with the original Cacodemons (and Pain elemental).

Except it includes the all of the previous entries from the look of it. So I'm not sure what you're on about.
I read that line, too. You know there are other options than just re-releases, right? In fact, re-releasing Doom 3 could backfire. If people haven't played it before, but try it out based on the series's legendary reputation and find it lacking, it could hurt Doom 4's hype and sales. The combination of Rage and Doom 3 isn't exactly the greatest possible advertisement for id.

Ridley327

It'd be nice if they based the game on the Xbox version, as that not only had co-op, but they did some smart rebalancing of the levels to cut down on a lot of the key searching bloat of the original PC version.

I read that line, too. You know there are other options than just re-releases, right? In fact, re-releasing Doom 3 could backfire. If people haven't played it before, but try it out based on the series's legendary reputation and find it lacking, it could hurt Doom 4's hype and sales. The combination of Rage and Doom 3 isn't exactly the greatest possible advertisement for id.

Doom 4 will be a hell of a lot closer to Doom 3 than it will Doom 1 or 2. So, I disagree.

And id hasn't made a true classic in 2 decades. I'm not sure what people expect out of them.

Doom 3 is an OK game, and Doom 4 will probably be an OK game too. Same with Rage.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
For some reason, the trailer neglects to mention the PC initially, but a box shot is shown at the end.

I just watched it, you're right. Someone at id should be fed to a Shambler over this.
jDpEIDT0oPBAg.png

Anyway, that trailer was great, even if it doesn't look all that impressive in comparison to modded D3. Although 720p on YT doesn't help either, I guess.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I enjoyed Doom 3 on the Xbox, and made it to the very end without any cheats, but couldn't finish the job. This is a nice package, but I don't think I'm interested in old Doom games.

Beefwheat

I adore Doom and Doom II, but over the years I've tried several times to get into Doom3 and just can't. Mostly it's because the weapons feel so weak, and the gameplay just isn't the same, changing from frantic and fast-paced in previous instalments to something much slower, story-oriented and atmospheric. (That said, I'll probably check this out anyway because I can't stop trying to like this ridiculous game)

On the other hand, thanks to this thread I got to have a delightful Doom experience that I missed when it was originally released!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't appear to look much different. Definitely not on par with Sikkmod. :(

W5tpI.jpg

mcfZ7.jpg
GQAlT.jpg

Dp6pw.jpg
TZvDv.jpg

I adore Doom and Doom II, but over the years I've tried several times to get into Doom3 and just can't. Mostly it's because the weapons feel so weak, and the gameplay just isn't the same, changing from frantic and fast-paced in previous instalments to something much slower, story-oriented and atmospheric. (That said, I'll probably check this out anyway because I can't stop trying to like this ridiculous game)
Sikkmod, aside from its graphics additions, also allows you to tweak a wide variety of game variables that can completely transform the way it plays. You can adjust nearly everything that matters.

Player/Enemy health and speed, damage variables, add random monsters, change health system, remove reloading, and all sorts of other things. You can make the game play much more like Doom 1 and 2 with many more on screen enemies and a much faster pace if you desire. It's pretty damn awesome.

Where is the Vita version? Resistance proved to be a disappointment but I still want a Vita FPS, and I've always loved Doom 3. Come on Carmack, I thought you were interested in portable devices.

Gustav

Banned
Can't find the .jpg of the guy with the non descript look on his face and the WHY under him, otherwise I would post it.

Ifrit

Why would you assume that?

Re-mastered for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, this genre defining game and its add-on pack offers greatly enhanced graphics, deeply immersing the player in the demonic world of this terrifying horror masterpiece. Players will also experience a never-before-seen single-player story, ‘The Lost Mission’ featuring seven heart-pounding levels that will once again have them on the edge of their seats.

DOOM 3, Resurrection of Evil, and ‘The Lost Mission’have been optimized in 3D, featuring 5.1 surround sound, Xbox 360 Achievements, PlayStation 3 trophies, improved rendering and lighting, and a new check point save system allowing for smoother progression through the game. id® Software has fine-tuned the controls to bring the intensity of the DOOM single and multiplayer experience to the consoles, and DOOM 3 now features the new armour-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time.

It doesn't mention the PC in this paragraphs

I hope I'm wrong though

Top Bottom